From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Redundant Earth Bonding
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 17:30:28 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lMZsg6QE90sS9KpNfBTcHvNisfE=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 17:30 UTC

I am at the first fix plumbing stage of our bathroom refurbishment and
removing some of the old pipe work I am finding loads of supplementary
bonding back from the days of the 16th edition of the regs. I think.

I believe the rules have changed since and this is no longer required, am I
obliged to re-instate it or can it be scrapped? I do have main bonding to
gas, domestic water and central heating. We are getting rid of the electric
shower for which I think additional bonding was required.

Re: Redundant Earth Bonding

<uie1vt$14v0c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108810&group=uk.d-i-y#108810

From: ala...@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Redundant Earth Bonding
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 19:08:45 +0000
 by: Alan Lee - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 19:08 UTC

On 07/11/2023 17:30, Tricky Dicky wrote:

> I am at the first fix plumbing stage of our bathroom refurbishment and
> removing some of the old pipe work I am finding loads of supplementary
> bonding back from the days of the 16th edition of the regs. I think.
>
> I believe the rules have changed since and this is no longer required, am I
> obliged to re-instate it or can it be scrapped? I do have main bonding to
> gas, domestic water and central heating. We are getting rid of the electric
> shower for which I think additional bonding was required.

If all circuits are RCD protected, then there is no need for
supplementary bonding. You do need main equipotential bonding to any
metal pipework entering the premises.

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: Redundant Earth Bonding

<uiebe5$16vlg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108815&group=uk.d-i-y#108815

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 21:49:57 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 21:49 UTC

On 07/11/2023 17:30, Tricky Dicky wrote:

> I am at the first fix plumbing stage of our bathroom refurbishment and
> removing some of the old pipe work I am finding loads of supplementary
> bonding back from the days of the 16th edition of the regs. I think.
>
> I believe the rules have changed since and this is no longer required, am I
> obliged to re-instate it or can it be scrapped? I do have main bonding to
> gas, domestic water and central heating. We are getting rid of the electric
> shower for which I think additional bonding was required.

If the main eq bonding is in place and all circuits that present in the
bathroom are RCD protected at 30mA trip or less, then you don't need the
supplementary bonding. (this was a change in the 17th edition)

--
Cheers,

John.