"It's men like him that give the Y chromosome a bad name."

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: How much fall,on 110mm waste pipe

SubjectAuthor
* How much fall,on 110mm waste pipeTricky Dicky
+* Re: How much fall,on 110mm waste pipeAndy Burns
|`* Re: How much fall,on 110mm waste pipeTricky Dicky
| `- Re: How much fall,on 110mm waste pipeSteve Jones
`- Re: How much fall,on 110mm waste pipeDavid

1
How much fall,on 110mm waste pipe

<uibfqa$johe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108765&group=uk.d-i-y#108765

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: How much fall,on 110mm waste pipe
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 19:46:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MKTOGhD54TVaZ3h40C6c6qrHvVU=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 19:46 UTC

At present the waste from my toilet pan is about 0.5m between pan and
vertical stack originally it was in the kickspace of some bathroom fitted
cabinets. I cannot measure the angle but it looks almost level. I am going
to move the pan a further 1m away and the new cabinets have a smaller
kickspace of 140mm so there will be absolutely minimal fall. Since we
never had any problems with the existing fall does it matter if the fall is
further reduced as long as it is level or has a slight fall?

I note that bends and tees in 110mm have 92.5 deg angles which by my dodgy
maths equates to a 43mm fall over over a distance of 1m. There is no way
the present fall is anywhere near that and the new fall is even less likely
to be near that.

The tee in the vertical stack is already at floor level but could be
lowered below except the stack goes through the roof and I am loathe to
disturb it in case it causes problems where it exits the roof plus it will
make an awkward hole through the floor.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Re: How much fall,on 110mm waste pipe

<kqt2e9Fkg42U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108773&group=uk.d-i-y#108773

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: How much fall,on 110mm waste pipe
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 20:59:52 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 20:59 UTC

Tricky Dicky wrote:

> I note that bends and tees in 110mm have 92.5 deg angles which by my dodgy
> maths equates to a 43mm fall over over a distance of 1m. There is no way
> the present fall is anywhere near that and the new fall is even less likely
> to be near that.

A WC requires between 18 and 90 mm of fall per metre, see Approved
Document H for chapter and verse.

Re: How much fall,on 110mm waste pipe

<uid2au$v2s6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108783&group=uk.d-i-y#108783

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 10:08:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:bX+0j+640uYr0RAGR05JqiuZqK4=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 10:08 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Tricky Dicky wrote:
>
>> I note that bends and tees in 110mm have 92.5 deg angles which by my dodgy
>> maths equates to a 43mm fall over over a distance of 1m. There is no way
>> the present fall is anywhere near that and the new fall is even less likely
>> to be near that.
>
> A WC requires between 18 and 90 mm of fall per metre, see Approved
> Document H for chapter and verse.

I think I will just about make that lower figure. Thanks Andy

I lifted a few floorboards yesterday and Plan A is the only option with a
possible slight modification of it to gain a little more height by making a
small platform of 18mm ply for the cupboards to sit on, a couple of cabinet
door replacement companies sell gloss white edging strip to match the
cupboards so I can effectively conceal the edge.

Richard

Re: How much fall,on 110mm waste pipe

<a6ed3d08-de0f-470a-9f7b-d67af81381f0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108786&group=uk.d-i-y#108786

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 03:26:12 -0800 (PST)
From: steve.jo...@scannex.co.uk (Steve Jones)
 by: Steve Jones - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:26 UTC

On Tuesday, November 7, 2023 at 10:08:35 AM UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
> Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> > Tricky Dicky wrote:
> >
> >> I note that bends and tees in 110mm have 92.5 deg angles which by my dodgy
> >> maths equates to a 43mm fall over over a distance of 1m. There is no way
> >> the present fall is anywhere near that and the new fall is even less likely
> >> to be near that.
> >
> > A WC requires between 18 and 90 mm of fall per metre, see Approved
> > Document H for chapter and verse.
> >

> I think I will just about make that lower figure. Thanks Andy
>
> I lifted a few floorboards yesterday and Plan A is the only option with a
> possible slight modification of it to gain a little more height by making a
> small platform of 18mm ply for the cupboards to sit on, a couple of cabinet
> door replacement companies sell gloss white edging strip to match the
> cupboards so I can effectively conceal the edge.
>
> Richard

A 110mm foul drain taking the discharge of less than 1 l/s should be laid at a 1:40 (25mm per metre) fall. A foul drain taking the discharge from a minimum of one WC can be laid at 1:80 (12.5mm per metre).

And check out https://www.marleyplumbinganddrainage.com/media/1191/underground-brochure-july-2015.pdf

Gradients Foul water drainage systems are generally designed to run at a maximum of three quarters full bore. Pipe gradients should be established such that the velocity does not fall below 0.70 m/s to ensure adequate self-cleansing. A 110mm foul drain taking the discharge of less than 1 l/s should be laid at a 1:40 (25mm per metre) fall. A foul drain taking the discharge from a minimum of one WC can be laid at 1:80 (12.5mm per metre). Gullies incorporating in foul water or combined drainage systems must have a 50mm minimum water seal. The table below is taken from BS EN 752 and provides guidance on minimum gradients for different size drains

Re: How much fall,on 110mm waste pipe

<krc04eFe9j4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=109016&group=uk.d-i-y#109016

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 12 Nov 2023 12:52:30 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 12:52 UTC

On Mon, 06 Nov 2023 19:46:18 +0000, Tricky Dicky wrote:

> At present the waste from my toilet pan is about 0.5m between pan and
> vertical stack originally it was in the kickspace of some bathroom
> fitted cabinets. I cannot measure the angle but it looks almost level. I
> am going to move the pan a further 1m away and the new cabinets have a
> smaller kickspace of 140mm so there will be absolutely minimal fall.
> Since we never had any problems with the existing fall does it matter if
> the fall is further reduced as long as it is level or has a slight fall?
>
> I note that bends and tees in 110mm have 92.5 deg angles which by my
> dodgy maths equates to a 43mm fall over over a distance of 1m. There is
> no way the present fall is anywhere near that and the new fall is even
> less likely to be near that.
>
> The tee in the vertical stack is already at floor level but could be
> lowered below except the stack goes through the roof and I am loathe to
> disturb it in case it causes problems where it exits the roof plus it
> will make an awkward hole through the floor.
>
> I would be grateful for any advice.

I think a short run directly from the WC could get away with minimal fall,
because of the initial rush of water when flushed.

Quite how far this initial rush will carry any waste is an exercise for
the reader. ;-)

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64