Planet Claire has pink hair. All the trees are red. No one ever dies there. No one has a head....

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Does Howard Oakley know about this?

SubjectAuthor
* Does Howard Oakley know about this?David Brooks
`* Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?David Brooks
 `* Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?Snit
  `* Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?David Brooks
   `* Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?Snit
    `* Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?David Brooks
     `* Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?Snit
      `* Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?David Brooks
       `* Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?Snit
        `* Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?David Brooks
         `- Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?David Brooks

1
Does Howard Oakley know about this?

<LjW%K.774201$wkZ5.259528@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10905&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10905

From: BDB...@not.on.your.life (David Brooks)
Subject: Does Howard Oakley know about this?
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 15:02:19 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 14:02 UTC

//Security researchers have shared details about a now-addressed
security flaw in Apple's macOS operating system that could be
potentially exploited to run malicious applications in a manner that can
bypass Apple's security measures.//

https://thehackernews.com/2022/10/details-released-for-recently-patched.html

Howard Oakley's SilentKnight tool showed THIS result on my iMac recently:-

https://ibb.co/ws2QdTt

"Gatekeeper Unused"

Remember me getting THIS warning recently too?

https://ibb.co/DLLBScF

"Mints.app" was blocked from use because it is not from an identified
developer."

Circumstantial? Hmmm. I was told to ignore the 'warning' and install again.

I felt a modicum of unease about not heeding/ignoring warnings from my
macOS.

Thoughts, anyone?

--
David

Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?

<Uw00L.571319$G_96.34358@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10906&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10906

Subject: Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB...@not.on.your.life (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 22:05:56 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 21:05 UTC

On 07/10/2022 18:48, Snit wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2022 at 7:05:35 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
> <PmW%K.774202$wkZ5.348120@fx11.ams1>:
>
>> This is forwarded for ACW readers!
>> *********************************

Thank you for your comment and advice.

Do you use ANY of Dr. Oakley's tools?

Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?

<8b10L.245915$elEa.164624@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10907&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10907

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 21:51:00 GMT
 by: Snit - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 21:51 UTC

On Oct 7, 2022 at 2:05:56 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<Uw00L.571319$G_96.34358@fx13.ams1>:

> On 07/10/2022 18:48, Snit wrote:
>> On Oct 7, 2022 at 7:05:35 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
>> <PmW%K.774202$wkZ5.348120@fx11.ams1>:
>>
>>> This is forwarded for ACW readers!
>>> *********************************

Not familiar with them. Are there any you use and recommend?

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?

<Tr10L.452823$9f26.400533@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10910&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10910

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB...@not.on.your.life (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 23:08:51 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 22:08 UTC

On 07/10/2022 22:51, Snit wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2022 at 2:05:56 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
> <Uw00L.571319$G_96.34358@fx13.ams1>:
>
>> On 07/10/2022 18:48, Snit wrote:

I have used ALL of his tools at one time or another.

They give great insight into the workings of one's computer.

For now, though, I am using NONE of HO's tools.

D.

Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?

<6t10L.274955$PRW4.43197@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10911&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10911

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 22:10:10 GMT
 by: Snit - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 22:10 UTC

On Oct 7, 2022 at 3:08:51 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote

>>> Thank you for your comment and advice.
>>>
>>> Do you use ANY of Dr. Oakley's tools?
>>
>> Not familiar with them. Are there any you use and recommend?
>
> I have used ALL of his tools at one time or another.
>
> They give great insight into the workings of one's computer.
>
> For now, though, I am using NONE of HO's tools.

Any in particular you would recommend?

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?

<Nx10L.1941684$ulh3.1061119@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10912&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10912

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB...@not.on.your.life (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 23:15:09 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 22:15 UTC

On 07/10/2022 23:10, Snit wrote:

>>> Not familiar with them. Are there any you use and recommend?
>>
>> I have used ALL of his tools at one time or another.
>>
>> They give great insight into the workings of one's computer.
>>
>> For now, though, I am using NONE of HO's tools.
>
> Any in particular you would recommend?

SilentKnight gives a comprehensive overview of one's machine.

Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?

<KB10L.114642$tRy7.37339@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10913&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10913

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 22:19:22 GMT
 by: Snit - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 22:19 UTC

On Oct 7, 2022 at 3:15:09 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<Nx10L.1941684$ulh3.1061119@fx06.ams1>:

> On 07/10/2022 23:10, Snit wrote:

>>> I have used ALL of his tools at one time or another.
>>>
>>> They give great insight into the workings of one's computer.
>>>
>>> For now, though, I am using NONE of HO's tools.
>>
>> Any in particular you would recommend?
>
> SilentKnight gives a comprehensive overview of one's machine.

Just ran it. No surprises.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?

<wD10L.1941686$ulh3.960661@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10914&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10914

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB...@not.on.your.life (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 23:21:16 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 22:21 UTC

On 07/10/2022 23:19, Snit wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2022 at 3:15:09 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
> <Nx10L.1941684$ulh3.1061119@fx06.ams1>:
>
>> On 07/10/2022 23:10, Snit wrote:

>>> Any in particular you would recommend?
>>
>> SilentKnight gives a comprehensive overview of one's machine.
>
> Just ran it. No surprises.

Good to hear!

What result did you get for 'Gatekeeper'?

Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?

<zG10L.97619$chF5.4043@fx08.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10915&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10915

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 22:24:31 GMT
 by: Snit - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 22:24 UTC

On Oct 7, 2022 at 3:21:16 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<wD10L.1941686$ulh3.960661@fx06.ams1>:

> On 07/10/2022 23:19, Snit wrote:
>> On Oct 7, 2022 at 3:15:09 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
>> <Nx10L.1941684$ulh3.1061119@fx06.ams1>:

>>> SilentKnight gives a comprehensive overview of one's machine.
>>
>> Just ran it. No surprises.
>
> Good to hear!
>
> What result did you get for 'Gatekeeper'?

On. 181, 8.0

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?

<HT10L.1941687$ulh3.384989@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10917&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10917

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB...@not.on.your.life (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 23:38:31 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 22:38 UTC

On 07/10/2022 23:24, Snit wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2022 at 3:21:16 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
> <wD10L.1941686$ulh3.960661@fx06.ams1>:
>
>> On 07/10/2022 23:19, Snit wrote:

>>> Just ran it. No surprises.
>>
>> Good to hear!
>>
>> What result did you get for 'Gatekeeper'?
>
> On. 181, 8.0

I would have been happy with that.

When I last ran it it said "Gatekeeper unused"

Did I already show you a screenshot?

I've sent by Messages

Re: Does Howard Oakley know about this?

<O7v0L.1153522$%fx6.1028106@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10944&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10944

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB...@not.on.your.life (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 08:55:26 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 07:55 UTC

On 07/10/2022 23:38, David Brooks wrote:
> On 07/10/2022 23:24, Snit wrote:
>> On Oct 7, 2022 at 3:21:16 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
>> <wD10L.1941686$ulh3.960661@fx06.ams1>:

>>> Good to hear!
>>>
>>> What result did you get for 'Gatekeeper'?
>>
>> On. 181, 8.0
>
> I would have been happy with that.
>
> When I last ran it it said "Gatekeeper unused"
>
> Did I already show you a screenshot?
>
> I've sent by Messages

On checking, it is, OF course, listed earlier in this thread!

https://imgbb.com/ws2QdTt

There's a NEW VERSION available this very day!

https://eclecticlight.co/2022/10/09/last-week-on-my-mac-time-for-a-fresh-silentknight/

I may decide to 'give it a whirl', so to speak!

I expect you will too! 🙂

David