Porsche: there simply is no substitute. -- Risky Business

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Insulation

SubjectAuthor
* InsulationBrian Gaff
+* Re: InsulationTricky Dicky
|`- Re: InsulationBrian Gaff
+* Re: InsulationJohn Rumm
|`- Re: InsulationBrian Gaff
+* Re: InsulationAndrew
|`- Re: InsulationBrian Gaff
+* Re: InsulationRobin
|`- Re: InsulationBrian Gaff
+- Re: InsulationBrian Gaff
`* Re: InsulationAndy Burns
 `- Re: InsulationBrian Gaff

1
Insulation

<uinj8u$3crcp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108953&group=uk.d-i-y#108953

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Insulation
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 09:58:50 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 09:58 UTC

Its probably been the coldest night for some time last night, just below
Freezing and a north wind. I got to wondering what do people do who live in
terraces like ours which only have solid walls, built just before the wall
to insulate the walls. One assumes its hardly economic to build another wall
outside with insulation in it. It would look daft if the whole block did not
do it anyway. Also of course, under the ground floor is a void and the
floors are just ordinary floorboards.
I guess better double glazing can be fitted to the windows as the 1970s
ones I have though robust ally, are the narrow spaced kind and the frames
can get ice on the inside, as there is no thermal block.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Insulation

<uinpj7$3e1ol$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108962&group=uk.d-i-y#108962

From: tricky.d...@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Insulation
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 11:46:47 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GamNNKs3bk5RbKaHTm7jrcFdUUw=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 11:46 UTC

Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Its probably been the coldest night for some time last night, just below
> Freezing and a north wind. I got to wondering what do people do who live in
> terraces like ours which only have solid walls, built just before the wall
> to insulate the walls. One assumes its hardly economic to build another wall
> outside with insulation in it. It would look daft if the whole block did not
> do it anyway. Also of course, under the ground floor is a void and the
> floors are just ordinary floorboards.
> I guess better double glazing can be fitted to the windows as the 1970s
> ones I have though robust ally, are the narrow spaced kind and the frames
> can get ice on the inside, as there is no thermal block.
> Brian

If you do not mind losing a few inches off your room size there is foam
backed plasterboard. On internal walls and cavity walls it can dot & dabbed
like normal PB. On solid exterior walls I suspect you would have to batten
out the walls with damp proofing between battens and walls. I have not
looked at this particular issue but the British Gypsum website has lots of
information about various installations.

Re: Insulation

<uio2gb$3fiid$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108970&group=uk.d-i-y#108970

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:18:51 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 14:18 UTC

On 11/11/2023 09:58, Brian Gaff wrote:

> Its probably been the coldest night for some time last night, just below
> Freezing and a north wind. I got to wondering what do people do who live in
> terraces like ours which only have solid walls, built just before the wall
> to insulate the walls. One assumes its hardly economic to build another wall
> outside with insulation in it.

The most common route would be to dry line it - insulation on the inside
of the wall, vapour barrier and then plasterboard. (you can get
plasterboard with pre-fitted insulation etc for the purpose)

> It would look daft if the whole block did not
> do it anyway. Also of course, under the ground floor is a void and the
> floors are just ordinary floorboards.

You can lift the floor, insulate between joists with a rigid board
insulation, or a glass wool insulation suspended on chicken wire stapled
to the underside of the joists. Then refit the boards. If you can afford
the hassle of trimming doors etc, then you can fit a rigid board
insulation on top of the joists before fitting the floor. Also things
like thick carpet underlay can help.

> I guess better double glazing can be fitted to the windows as the 1970s
> ones I have though robust ally, are the narrow spaced kind and the frames
> can get ice on the inside, as there is no thermal block.

Either replacement of the whole window, or secondary double glazing.

Also don't forget loft insulation.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Insulation

<uioj8q$3j18p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=108995&group=uk.d-i-y#108995

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 19:04:58 +0000
 by: Andrew - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 19:04 UTC

On 11/11/2023 09:58, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Its probably been the coldest night for some time last night, just below
> Freezing and a north wind. I got to wondering what do people do who live in
> terraces like ours which only have solid walls, built just before the wall
> to insulate the walls. One assumes its hardly economic to build another wall
> outside with insulation in it. It would look daft if the whole block did not
> do it anyway. Also of course, under the ground floor is a void and the
> floors are just ordinary floorboards.
> I guess better double glazing can be fitted to the windows as the 1970s
> ones I have though robust ally, are the narrow spaced kind and the frames
> can get ice on the inside, as there is no thermal block.
> Brian

I have an Anglian patio door, fitted by the original owner
circa 1980. Aluminium frame and above the glass units is a
single skin aluminium section with sliding vents.

I suspect it loses more heat through the frame and those
panels than it saves via the 4+8+4 dg units. Its next on
my list for replacement. In cold weather condensation
pours down the frames. Not good.

The aluminium frames are very slim, so the tradeoff will
will be much more bulky uPVC frames.

Re: Insulation

<8d27f373-8e90-4bf2-9b53-b2b19d3b6cb9@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=109005&group=uk.d-i-y#109005

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 08:12:06 +0000
 by: Robin - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 08:12 UTC

Only just spotted your mention of narrow metal window frames with no
thermal break. A relatively cheap thing for those is to stick on with
silicon the uPVC trim used when fitting windows etc. Flat trim comes in
widths of 20, 28, 40 and 60 mm. It's 6 mm thick foamed plastic that
makes a big difference to condensation.

--
Robin

Re: Insulation

<uiqi5s$3h1l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=109018&group=uk.d-i-y#109018

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 12:58:35 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 12:58 UTC

PS/ Spell chucker went berserk. Brian

--

--:
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Its probably been the coldest night for some time last night, just below
> Freezing and a north wind. I got to wondering what do people do who live
> in terraces like ours which only have solid walls, built just before the
> wall to insulate the walls. One assumes its hardly economic to build
> another wall outside with insulation in it. It would look daft if the
> whole block did not do it anyway. Also of course, under the ground floor
> is a void and the floors are just ordinary floorboards.
> I guess better double glazing can be fitted to the windows as the 1970s
> ones I have though robust ally, are the narrow spaced kind and the frames
> can get ice on the inside, as there is no thermal block.
> Brian
>
> --
>
> --:
> This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
> The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
> briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
> Blind user, so no pictures please
> Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Re: Insulation

<uiqic7$3i9b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=109019&group=uk.d-i-y#109019

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 13:01:58 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 13:01 UTC

God what a nightmare that would be there are a lot of outside walls with
shelves screwed to them.

Luckily I only have the two outside walls, being mid terrace.
Brian

--

--:
"Tricky Dicky" <tricky.dicky@sky.com> wrote in message
> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Its probably been the coldest night for some time last night, just below
>> Freezing and a north wind. I got to wondering what do people do who live
>> in
>> terraces like ours which only have solid walls, built just before the
>> wall
>> to insulate the walls. One assumes its hardly economic to build another
>> wall
>> outside with insulation in it. It would look daft if the whole block did
>> not
>> do it anyway. Also of course, under the ground floor is a void and the
>> floors are just ordinary floorboards.
>> I guess better double glazing can be fitted to the windows as the 1970s
>> ones I have though robust ally, are the narrow spaced kind and the frames
>> can get ice on the inside, as there is no thermal block.
>> Brian
>>

> If you do not mind losing a few inches off your room size there is foam
> backed plasterboard. On internal walls and cavity walls it can dot &
> dabbed
> like normal PB. On solid exterior walls I suspect you would have to batten
> out the walls with damp proofing between battens and walls. I have not
> looked at this particular issue but the British Gypsum website has lots of
> information about various installations.

Re: Insulation

<uiqiji$3ja4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=109020&group=uk.d-i-y#109020

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 13:05:53 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 13:05 UTC

At least the loft is pretty good with the regulation very thick stuff. Of
course when they built the houses they curved the top of the walls near the
eaves which made it very difficult to get a meaningful thickness just there.
The roof itself you can see out of between the tiles. It can be embracing if
you get the wrong kind of snow!

Brian

--

--:
"John Rumm" <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote in message
> On 11/11/2023 09:58, Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> Its probably been the coldest night for some time last night, just below
>> Freezing and a north wind. I got to wondering what do people do who live
>> in
>> terraces like ours which only have solid walls, built just before the
>> wall
>> to insulate the walls. One assumes its hardly economic to build another
>> wall
>> outside with insulation in it.
>
> The most common route would be to dry line it - insulation on the inside
> of the wall, vapour barrier and then plasterboard. (you can get
> plasterboard with pre-fitted insulation etc for the purpose)
>
>> It would look daft if the whole block did not
>> do it anyway. Also of course, under the ground floor is a void and the
>> floors are just ordinary floorboards.
>
> You can lift the floor, insulate between joists with a rigid board
> insulation, or a glass wool insulation suspended on chicken wire stapled
> to the underside of the joists. Then refit the boards. If you can afford
> the hassle of trimming doors etc, then you can fit a rigid board
> insulation on top of the joists before fitting the floor. Also things like
> thick carpet underlay can help.
>
>> I guess better double glazing can be fitted to the windows as the 1970s
>> ones I have though robust ally, are the narrow spaced kind and the frames
>> can get ice on the inside, as there is no thermal block.
>
> Either replacement of the whole window, or secondary double glazing.
>
> Also don't forget loft insulation.
>

> --
> Cheers,
>
> John.
>
> /=================================================================\
> | Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
> |-----------------------------------------------------------------|
> | John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |
> \=================================================================/

Re: Insulation

<uiqio4$3k2b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=109021&group=uk.d-i-y#109021

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 13:08:19 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 13:08 UTC

Yes I know, I had to do one in the Kitchen some time ago when it um, fell
out slightly while doing some DIY. Brian

--

--:
"Andrew" <Andrew97d@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> On 11/11/2023 09:58, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> Its probably been the coldest night for some time last night, just below
>> Freezing and a north wind. I got to wondering what do people do who live
>> in
>> terraces like ours which only have solid walls, built just before the
>> wall
>> to insulate the walls. One assumes its hardly economic to build another
>> wall
>> outside with insulation in it. It would look daft if the whole block did
>> not
>> do it anyway. Also of course, under the ground floor is a void and the
>> floors are just ordinary floorboards.
>> I guess better double glazing can be fitted to the windows as the 1970s
>> ones I have though robust ally, are the narrow spaced kind and the frames
>> can get ice on the inside, as there is no thermal block.
>> Brian
>>
> I have an Anglian patio door, fitted by the original owner
> circa 1980. Aluminium frame and above the glass units is a
> single skin aluminium section with sliding vents.
>
> I suspect it loses more heat through the frame and those
> panels than it saves via the 4+8+4 dg units. Its next on
> my list for replacement. In cold weather condensation
> pours down the frames. Not good.
>
> The aluminium frames are very slim, so the tradeoff will
> will be much more bulky uPVC frames.

Re: Insulation

<uiqis4$3kn4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=109022&group=uk.d-i-y#109022

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 13:10:27 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 13:10 UTC

Have to be a bit careful on the opening bit. I did try to make something
like this some years ago, and it all fell off. No, I think if I'm still
alive in a year or so I feel my pockets getting lighter.
Brian

--

--:
"Robin" <rbw@outlook.com> wrote in message
> Only just spotted your mention of narrow metal window frames with no
> thermal break. A relatively cheap thing for those is to stick on with
> silicon the uPVC trim used when fitting windows etc. Flat trim comes in
> widths of 20, 28, 40 and 60 mm. It's 6 mm thick foamed plastic that makes
> a big difference to condensation.
>
> On 11/11/2023 09:58, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> Its probably been the coldest night for some time last night, just below
>> Freezing and a north wind. I got to wondering what do people do who live
>> in
>> terraces like ours which only have solid walls, built just before the
>> wall
>> to insulate the walls. One assumes its hardly economic to build another
>> wall
>> outside with insulation in it. It would look daft if the whole block did
>> not
>> do it anyway. Also of course, under the ground floor is a void and the
>> floors are just ordinary floorboards.
>> I guess better double glazing can be fitted to the windows as the 1970s
>> ones I have though robust ally, are the narrow spaced kind and the frames
>> can get ice on the inside, as there is no thermal block.
>> Brian
>>

> --
> Robin
> reply-to address is (intended to be) valid

Re: Insulation

<krc8fmFfl6vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=109039&group=uk.d-i-y#109039

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 15:15:04 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 15:15 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> One assumes its hardly economic to build another wall outside with
> insulation in it. It would look daft if the whole block did not do it
> anyway.

It's not unusual to have schemes where external insulation is fitted,
and dealing with window frames and eaves can be a problem

Re: Insulation

<uj4ka5$26gin$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=109294&group=uk.d-i-y#109294

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 08:36:19 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 08:36 UTC

You know, I've concluded after reading this thread that the cost and chaos
needed to do much of it is pointless for me, so apart from stopping draughty
things and maybe the windows, I'll leave the rest alone. I can just hear
Cliff Richard singing. Its Insulation in my head.... argh.
Brian

--

--: