From: Ar...@127.0.0.1 (Ar)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Subject: Five gets an additional irritating new DOG
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 20:04:50 +0100
 by: Ar - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 19:04 UTC

On top left is Channel Five's normal logo, on the top right hand side is
some new shit with a half white half black box. Anyone have any idea
what this crap is, it's REALLY distracting, it's come up within past
two-ish weeks.

Re: Five gets an additional irritating new DOG

<dthulgdl5477c10hvq5kct3n20q7p8qnqe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1097&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1097

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Subject: Re: Five gets an additional irritating new DOG
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 20:20:52 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 19:20 UTC

Ar wrote:

>On top left is Channel Five's normal logo, on the top right hand side is
>some new shit with a half white half black box. Anyone have any idea
>what this crap is, it's REALLY distracting, it's come up within past
>two-ish weeks.

It is all due to the event at the main London playout facility
which meant that much current TV, on many channels, is coming
from a Disaster Recovery site.

The box you noticed indicates a C5 programme from the DR site.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Five gets an additional irritating new DOG

<sjnl7l$u4f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1098&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1098

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 21:27:08 +0100
 by: NY - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 20:27 UTC

"Chris J Dixon" <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote in message
> Ar wrote:
>
>>On top left is Channel Five's normal logo, on the top right hand side is
>>some new shit with a half white half black box. Anyone have any idea
>>what this crap is, it's REALLY distracting, it's come up within past
>>two-ish weeks.
>
> It is all due to the event at the main London playout facility
> which meant that much current TV, on many channels, is coming
> from a Disaster Recovery site.
>
> The box you noticed indicates a C5 programme from the DR site.

I wonder why C5 feel the need to be able to distinguish between programmes
that are coming from the main site and those that are coming from the DR
site. To do it in a customer-visible way, rather than embedded in some
metadata that is seen to the broadcaster but not the viewer, is odd.

Re: Five gets an additional irritating new DOG

<0rsvlgh5r6mtaglksv6tfkitj7qcqckruo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1099&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1099

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 08:32:20 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 07:32 UTC

NY wrote:

>I wonder why C5 feel the need to be able to distinguish between programmes
>that are coming from the main site and those that are coming from the DR
>site. To do it in a customer-visible way, rather than embedded in some
>metadata that is seen to the broadcaster but not the viewer, is odd.

I read somewhere that the C4 DOG is not transparent on
transmissions from DR.

I noticed that, during the last Grand Prix, it fell directly over
and obscured the lap counter, but part way through somebody must
have noticed and killed it.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Five gets an additional irritating new DOG

<isai61F8fsqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1100&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1100

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 10:43:29 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 09:43 UTC

On 07/10/2021 09:27 pm, NY wrote:
> "Chris J Dixon" <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote in message
>> Ar wrote:
>>
>>> On top left is Channel Five's normal logo, on the top right hand side is
>>> some new shit with a half white half black box. Anyone have any idea
>>> what this crap is, it's REALLY distracting, it's come up within past
>>> two-ish weeks.
>>
>> It is all due to the event at the main London playout facility
>> which meant that much current TV, on many channels, is coming
>> from a Disaster Recovery site.
>>
>> The box you noticed indicates a C5 programme from the DR site.
>
> I wonder why C5 feel the need to be able to distinguish between
> programmes that are coming from the main site and those that are coming
> from the DR site. To do it in a customer-visible way, rather than
> embedded in some metadata that is seen to the broadcaster but not the
> viewer, is odd...

....especially when they stop showing the black/white box during the adverts.

Re: Five gets an additional irritating new DOG

<sjpgkk$ail$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1101&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1101

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 14:21:16 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 13:21 UTC

On 07/10/2021 21:27, NY wrote:
> "Chris J Dixon" <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote in message
>> Ar wrote:
>>
>>> On top left is Channel Five's normal logo, on the top right hand side is
>>> some new shit with a half white half black box. Anyone have any idea
>>> what this crap is, it's REALLY distracting, it's come up within past
>>> two-ish weeks.
>>
>> It is all due to the event at the main London playout facility
>> which meant that much current TV, on many channels, is coming
>> from a Disaster Recovery site.
>>
>> The box you noticed indicates a C5 programme from the DR site.
>
> I wonder why C5 feel the need to be able to distinguish between
> programmes that are coming from the main site and those that are coming
> from the DR site. To do it in a customer-visible way, rather than
> embedded in some metadata that is seen to the broadcaster but not the
> viewer, is odd.

The lack of subtitles is customer-visible. And the lack of audio
description is customer-audible.

The whole business shows how rubbish the "disaster recovery" is,
especially as it appears there wasn't a real fire. Sounds like, if
anything goes wrong, pull the plug.

--
Max Demian