From: eter...@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: What will Whatsapp do if I change the phone number?
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 16:11:31 +0100
 by: T i m - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 15:11 UTC

I appreciate this isn't the best place for this question but I was about
to put the new telephone number in Mums iPhone11 and before I hit Done,
I wondered what it might then do to her other iDevices (iPhone / iPad)
that were signed in and paired by the number in her iPhone5S?

For clarity.
Mums iPhone5S on O2 and Whatsapp.
Mums iPad linked to Whatapp via her phone.

30 miles away ...

Mums new iPhone11 that will eventually replace the iPhone5S.

Now, assuming that adding this Smarty number does disconnect her from
the O2 number, then I could create a new account for her and the
contacts should appear from her restored contact list from her 5S?

But then I'm not sure if she would retain her history that she might like?

I guess I don't really understand the relationship between the account
(if there is such a thing) and the number (which could be the key
entity), although this Whatapp that was there because it was restored
from her 5S, rather than a fresh install?

Anyone got a good handle on all this please?

Cheers, T i m

Re: What will Whatsapp do if I change the phone number?

<091020221137386172%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10970&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10970

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 11:37:38 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 15:37 UTC

In article <thuob4$gt7h$3@dont-email.me>, T i m <eternal@spaced.me.uk>
wrote:

> I appreciate this isn't the best place for this question but I was about
> to put the new telephone number in Mums iPhone11 and before I hit Done,
> I wondered what it might then do to her other iDevices (iPhone / iPad)
> that were signed in and paired by the number in her iPhone5S?

it can affect imessage

<https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201349>

Re: What will Whatsapp do if I change the phone number?

<thurn8$he0r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10973&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10973

From: eter...@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 17:09:11 +0100
 by: T i m - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 16:09 UTC

On 09/10/2022 16:37, nospam wrote:
> In article <thuob4$gt7h$3@dont-email.me>, T i m <eternal@spaced.me.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> I appreciate this isn't the best place for this question but I was about
>> to put the new telephone number in Mums iPhone11 and before I hit Done,
>> I wondered what it might then do to her other iDevices (iPhone / iPad)
>> that were signed in and paired by the number in her iPhone5S?
>
> it can affect imessage
>
> <https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201349>

Is iMessage just TXT messages (she doesn't really use them).

Cheers, T i m

Re: What will Whatsapp do if I change the phone number?

<thus9r$36rc$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10975&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10975

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 18:19:07 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 16:19 UTC

Am 09.10.22 um 18:09 schrieb T i m:
> On 09/10/2022 16:37, nospam wrote:
>> In article <thuob4$gt7h$3@dont-email.me>, T i m <eternal@spaced.me.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I appreciate this isn't the best place for this question but I was about
>>> to put the new telephone number in Mums iPhone11 and before I hit Done,
>>> I wondered what it might then do to her other iDevices (iPhone / iPad)
>>> that were signed in and paired by the number in her iPhone5S?
>>
>> it can affect imessage
>>
>> <https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201349>
>
> Is iMessage just TXT messages (she doesn't really use them).

It is a full fledged instant-messenger with fotos, emojis and the like.
I deleted WhatsApp and use mostly iMessage. Technically very similar to
WA but not spying on your Mum.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207006

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: What will Whatsapp do if I change the phone number?

<thutau$he0r$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10977&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10977

From: eter...@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 17:36:45 +0100
 by: T i m - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 16:36 UTC

On 09/10/2022 17:19, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 09.10.22 um 18:09 schrieb T i m:
>> On 09/10/2022 16:37, nospam wrote:

>>> it can affect imessage
>>>
>>> <https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201349>
>>
>> Is iMessage just TXT messages (she doesn't really use them).
>
> It is a full fledged instant-messenger with fotos, emojis and the like.
> I deleted WhatsApp and use mostly iMessage. Technically very similar to
> WA but not spying on your Mum.

Thanks. ;-)

> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207006

But no x-platorm support (?) so in our family she would be talking to
herself? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Re: What will Whatsapp do if I change the phone number?

<thuu4t$3509$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10979&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10979

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 18:50:37 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 16:50 UTC

Am 09.10.22 um 18:36 schrieb T i m:
> Thanks. ;-)
>>
>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207006
>>
> But no x-platorm support (?) so in our family she would be talking to
> herself? ;-(

Unfortunately it is exclusive to the Apple ecosystem. This is the
primary reason why WA is so successful.

If your Mum is used to WA leave that to her. It will be less burdensome
for you to keep her going.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: What will Whatsapp do if I change the phone number?

<thv06k$1t6u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10985&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#10985

From: aio...@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 18:25:39 +0100
 by: T i m - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 17:25 UTC

On 09/10/2022 17:50, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 09.10.22 um 18:36 schrieb T i m:
>> Thanks. ;-)
>>>
>>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207006
>>>
>> But no x-platorm support (?) so in our family she would be talking to
>> herself? ;-(
>
> Unfortunately it is exclusive to the Apple ecosystem. This is the
> primary reason why WA is so successful.

Yeah, we (as a family) have been though MSN Messenger, ICQ, Skype and
now Whatsapp and the only issue with Whatapp for my Mum is likely to be
down to basic WiFi / Connectivity issues. The problem now is I'm not
just round the corner to sort out any glitches and they (Sister and BIL)
aren't really interested in helping her out. ;-(

> If your Mum is used to WA leave that to her. It will be less burdensome
> for you to keep her going.

This is hopefully where this 'on-line' (Mobil BB) iPhone11 should come
in. Slightly bigger (screen) than the iPhone5S, more up-to-date than the
5S and with the Smarty Data SIM, should cover her when she doesn't have
a WiFi connection.

Cheers, T i m