From: new...@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: 10 Days to Thailand [Motorcycle content LONG]
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:36:35 +0800
 by: Boots - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 00:36 UTC

During our post COVID UK trip I’d sprung for a Zumo XT, cannot buy in Malaysia
and the predecessor 595 is a bit to spendy for what it is for my liking actually
more than the Zumo, of course that means I have UK maps so had to go searching
for local OSM URL:https://nightrider.info/ Along with the Zumo on getting back I
sprung for a cheap headset
URL:https://www.lazada.com.my/maxto-m2-waterproof-universal-pairing-waterproof-6-riders-1000m-motorcycle-bluetooth-50-fm-helmet-casco-intercom-headset-interphones-with-hard-wire-soft-wire-i2035061397-s8080689619.html?spm=a2o4k.evaluation_my_review.0.0.589d49fbuwtFXF
and a camera
URL:https://www.lazada.com.my/motorcycle-camera-dvr-camcorder-full-hd-1080p-wifi-waterproof-bicycle-motorcycle-helmet-sport-dash-cam-car-video-recorder-i2470042474-s10783496037.html?spm=a2o4k.evaluation_my_review.0.0.589d49fbuwtFXF

The TLDR (Synopsis)
The M2 seems okay sync to Zumo which acts as hub so the phone also connected to
the Satnav, Zumo is fine some quirks with maps. Camera works but did not
overwrite ergo have to remember to delete, battery just about manage 1 full day
riding while M2 headset still says full after 1 day. Managed an embarrassing lie
down forgetting the F800 is as wide as blasted lorry with the Touratech
panniers. The electronics survived the weather not so my Alpinestars kit I
shipped over in 2019, leaky as heck. I also managed to lose my specs and one
glove <bloody hell>. Total distance home > home 1782km.
Picture / video URL:https://photos.app.goo.gl/62ce5qBDNLQee4YFA

Thailand trip notes
Finally with less than 12 hours to go the fitting bar for the navigator arrived.
Originally ordered the correct Touratech part from Germany but after a month
advised no stock, BMW dealer gave me link to Chinese clone. Also at same time my
plastic surround for the navigator arrived from UK, previously bought locally
helmet camera and Bluetooth intercom to listen to the directions etc. If it
survives the trip getting another camera or mount for my open face and maybe as
intercom for Liz if she feels brave/agile enough again[5].

Day 1 takes Liz a while to get into her kit, the plan of leaving at 09:00
abandoned finally leave around 1015, clear roads to near border, here we have to
stop for paperwork[1] Liz does not like my parking insists we move. In the
process of turning around and coming back the LHS box just clips a lamppost[2]
and slow speed spill outside of cafe, FFS that’s not a great start. Get
paperwork done which takes a while just number of people to be processed. Carry
onto to the border, Liz’s brother and our sister-in-law have come down to meet
us assist with the faff. First thing is vaccination check, I’d previously
registered our Malaysian vaccines with the Thai tourist site, got a record for
Liz, nothing for me although I do have the QR code, luckily brought the hardcopy
with us #1 down. Next onto to stamping the passports and there’s a problem with
my previous 2016 visit seems there is no record of me leaving[3], immigration
wanted to look at my old passport which of course I do not have. Eventually
after sorted after an interview with a senior officer, she says after confirming
I live in Malaysia and that to the best of my recollection I left after around
10 day almost certainly database issue. Now it is the bikes turn, have to take
logbook, insurance etc to get a temporary importation which you get a second
copy to give over on exit with dire warning not to lose and finally we’re good
to go can enter Thailand for up to 30 days. Liz goes in car then I follow on the
bike to our SiL’s house around 200 km covered, remembering to fill in Malaysia
as Thai fuel is 2.5x the price.

Day 2
Early start so up at 5.30 to load bike, Liz, our SiL and children in car come
later I with my BiL on the bikes, he on his Road King, we stop just down the
road for the first breakfast just noodles and assorted bits of dead pig tm CMOT
Dibbler, then of onwards for another 90 minutes to stop for our 2nd breakfast
noted bike stop on route 41 Phatalong
https://m.facebook.com/Route41PhatthalungTH/ this time eggs, toast and salad.
After eating we then follow windy back roads around the lake. Just finished the
scenic bit and onto a dual carriageway when my BiL get a flat as we pull onto
the shoulder there’s a chap strimming the grass in a meadow behind, tells us the
nearest bike shop is about 1km behind us. This fellah gets onto his scooter to
show the way and then goes ahead to the shop to tell them and explain problem
tyre plugged externally in around 30 minutes and we’re on the way again. My BiL
stops at the grasscutters work to offer him a tip but he refuses just being a
good citizen, what a star gives up his time plus rides out of his way. Carry on
refuel after around 200k from home, then another 100k before stopping on highway
for a lunch of roast chicken. After lunch Waze, routes us into the mountains I
have the destination in the Zumo but it is failing to route, we end up on a very
twisty route over the mountain, fallen trees, mud, terrible road surface really
did not like. Finally emerge into a very rural area I have maybe 40km left in
the tank but my BiL getting worried manage to buy 3 litres from an old dear at
grocery shop, this is 3 separate 2 litre soda bottles with 1 litre of R95 in
each, of course now I retry Zumo and it is routing, directions from old dear we
find fuel another 5km along road. Thai prices around 2.5x that of Malaysia thank
fuck it is not UK still only about 40 baht / 90p a litre. Now we're only around
50k from hotel, URL:https://www.thesandskhaolak.com/ that soon passes pull up,
bell hops take my grubby side cases we're just signed in and heavens open
lashing it down lucky apart from a few scattered showers the ride had been 95%
dry. Catch up with ladies and kids, shower beer dinner, long day

Day 3
After yesterdays travel today is a lazy late breakfast hang about hotel most of
the day drinking beer and eating pizza. In the evening go out to the first of
the local Michelin restaurant dinner, okay but not sure what the fuss is all about.

Day 4
Out in car en famille luckily my BiL has an X7 with the 4.0l engine, stop at
elephant sanctuary short visit, then onto turtle sanctuary / breeding centre
this is located in a Thai naval base next to tsunami memorial, many many turtles
from just hatched to full grown adults, bit of luck being a military place keeps
poachers out. Then quick snack lunch before rafting session on the river
sensibly leave phone in car left phone as I got fairly damp. My BiL not so happy
with his tyre repaoir so goes to local shop see if can fix tyre properly this
time. Dinner another Michelin place, man was it super spicy and good although
pretty well at my limits for chilli heat.

Day 5
My BiL still not happy with tyre, decides we’ll go see Harley dealer in Phuket
after a decent breakfast in hotel around 100km. The local shop put in another
plug last night I did not realise. Anyway ½ there it spits the plug out, we’re
closer to another little shop, but not too be 20 mins later spits plug again.
Decided as we’ve come this far call Harley in Phuket to come rescue it, which
they do. They take off tyre rather than trying another extremal plug and then
take to a local car shop to plug before using silicon inside and around the rim
to catch any leaks. All seems a bit Heath Robinson, however, a Harley basically
agricultural. All holds together for the ride back to the hotel just in time for
a quick shower then beers, really feel the need after all the standing about. On
arrival pressure still good will return early tomorrow to Hat Yai Total
distance from home now 1000km.

Day 6
Early breakfast at 6.30 to leave by around 7.30 head north not the obvious but
then we can cut across country to pick up Asian highway 41 North/South to Hat
Yai rather than the not so nice roads on the way. And right from start heavy
rain, slippery atrocities riding condition basically torrential storms with
occasional sunny spells. After a 150k fuel n coffee n toastie, we’re making very
slow progress. Notice a lot of the bends have uneven grooves, almost as if the
tarmac has been scraped off front end feels as vague as a politicians promise in
the dry and in the wet bloody disconcerting. On the whole we’re lucky to be
making 60kmh. My waterproof now defo no longer are, I shipped from UK for China
2019 which COVID killed but luckily the 20+ year old Altberg are totally dry.
Another 200k stop fuel, then another before final slog to home total for a total
of 500k in 8 hours. No sign of girls n kids in car, really though they’d have
beaten us so into too town stop for a snack where they meet us, day off tomorrow
so beers tonight and dim sum in the morning.

Day 7
Thai Dim Sum in Hat Yai, spray chain using the last of my lube, program
navigator for the next hotel
URL:https://www.facebook.com/%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%AE%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%89-%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%99-%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%97%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%AE%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%8C-113079743859051/

After dim sum have 2 hour massage, small Thai girl I not want to flight get very
tough massage, however, cricked neck better I think. Then early lunch go back
finish packing drink beers have carry out.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 10 Days to Thailand [Motorcycle content LONG]

<2op1eh94nrpt80mmj089nobojj1fqdv5av@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10988&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#10988

From: loo...@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: 10 Days to Thailand [Motorcycle content LONG]
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:20:14 +0100
 by: Colin Irvine - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 07:20 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 08:36:35 +0800, Boots
<news@millhouse-communications.co.uk> wrote:

>During our post COVID UK trip I’d sprung for a Zumo XT, cannot buy in Malaysia
>and the predecessor 595 is a bit to spendy for what it is for my liking actually
>more than the Zumo, of course that means I have UK maps so had to go searching
>for local OSM URL:https://nightrider.info/ Along with the Zumo on getting back I
>sprung for a cheap headset
>URL:https://www.lazada.com.my/maxto-m2-waterproof-universal-pairing-waterproof-6-riders-1000m-motorcycle-bluetooth-50-fm-helmet-casco-intercom-headset-interphones-with-hard-wire-soft-wire-i2035061397-s8080689619.html?spm=a2o4k.evaluation_my_review.0.0.589d49fbuwtFXF
>and a camera
>URL:https://www.lazada.com.my/motorcycle-camera-dvr-camcorder-full-hd-1080p-wifi-waterproof-bicycle-motorcycle-helmet-sport-dash-cam-car-video-recorder-i2470042474-s10783496037.html?spm=a2o4k.evaluation_my_review.0.0.589d49fbuwtFXF
>
>The TLDR (Synopsis)
>The M2 seems okay sync to Zumo which acts as hub so the phone also connected to
>the Satnav, Zumo is fine some quirks with maps. Camera works but did not
>overwrite ergo have to remember to delete, battery just about manage 1 full day
>riding while M2 headset still says full after 1 day. Managed an embarrassing lie
>down forgetting the F800 is as wide as blasted lorry with the Touratech
>panniers. The electronics survived the weather not so my Alpinestars kit I
>shipped over in 2019, leaky as heck. I also managed to lose my specs and one
>glove <bloody hell>. Total distance home > home 1782km.
>Picture / video URL:https://photos.app.goo.gl/62ce5qBDNLQee4YFA
>

>Thailand trip notes

<snip>

Nice write-up!

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: 10 Days to Thailand [Motorcycle content LONG]

<b22ab800-0b7e-4043-a8e0-193e3ddd891en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10990&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#10990

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 06:13:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: benbla...@gmail.com (Ben Blaney)
 by: Ben Blaney - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 13:13 UTC

On Tuesday, July 26, 2022 at 8:48:05 PM UTC-4, Boots wrote:
> Total distance home > home 1782km.

Sounds like a fun trip. Thanks for writing it up. Makes me want to go for a ride somewhere exotic and interesting.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: 10 Days to Thailand [Motorcycle content LONG]