Needs are a function of what other people have.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

SubjectAuthor
* I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuffsiwilson
+* I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuffogden
|+- I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fixsiwilson
|+* I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fixsiwilson
||`- I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuffHog
|+* I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuffStephen Packer
||+- I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuffsweller
||`- I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuffMark Roberts
|`- I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fixEddie
+* I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fixTurby
|`- I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fixsiwilson
+- I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fixPaul Carmichael
+- I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuffPipl
`* I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fixTurby
 `- I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuffwessie

1
I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<jkdbunF132mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10996&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#10996

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:45:58 +0100
 by: siwilson - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 17:45 UTC

I have a seemingly endless list of things that are b0rked. Current top
of the list is the <on topic alert> Motorhome which broke down a couple
of weeks ago on the way to a hillclimb.

Those on FB may have seen some of it. It's turning into quite a marathon
in time and £££. I did have someone lined up to help/actually do the job
but then they ghosted me. I suspect they realised how much work was
involved and left the country.

I think there's a least a couple more days (not full time) of stuff to
do before it's (hopefully) all working again.

--
/Simon

Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<63ba3346-9119-4a78-a1b1-24bd5d477c59n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10997&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#10997

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 11:33:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:33 UTC

siwilson wrote:
> I have a seemingly endless list of things that are b0rked. Current top
> of the list is the <on topic alert> Motorhome which broke down a couple
> of weeks ago on the way to a hillclimb.
>
> Those on FB may have seen some of it. It's turning into quite a marathon
> in time and £££. I did have someone lined up to help/actually do the job
> but then they ghosted me. I suspect they realised how much work was
> involved and left the country.

Tradesmen, innit. I can't even get a local roofer to call me back, let alone give me a quote.

You're making me feel a lot better about spending £££££££ on a newish van though, rather than chancing it with an old one.

> I think there's a least a couple more days (not full time) of stuff to
> do before it's (hopefully) all working again.

Flying solo at the weekend then? I'm trying to work out how much meat to take.

Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<jkdfl5F1lbkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11000&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11000

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix
stuff
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:49:08 +0100
 by: siwilson - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:49 UTC

On 27/07/2022 19:33, ogden wrote:
> siwilson wrote:
>> I have a seemingly endless list of things that are b0rked. Current top
>> of the list is the <on topic alert> Motorhome which broke down a couple
>> of weeks ago on the way to a hillclimb.
>>
>> Those on FB may have seen some of it. It's turning into quite a marathon
>> in time and £££. I did have someone lined up to help/actually do the job
>> but then they ghosted me. I suspect they realised how much work was
>> involved and left the country.
>
> Tradesmen, innit. I can't even get a local roofer to call me back, let alone give me a quote.
>
> You're making me feel a lot better about spending £££££££ on a newish van though, rather than chancing it with an old one.
>

>> I think there's a least a couple more days (not full time) of stuff to
>> do before it's (hopefully) all working again.
>
> Flying solo at the weekend then? I'm trying to work out how much meat to take.

Yeah, unlikely I'll finish everything before Friday afternoon :(

Hopefully the weather will be a bit better than forecast.

--
/Simon

Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<jkdic6F230iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11008&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11008

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
stuff
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 20:35:34 +0100
 by: siwilson - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:35 UTC

On 27/07/2022 19:33, ogden wrote:
> siwilson wrote:
>> I have a seemingly endless list of things that are b0rked. Current top
>> of the list is the <on topic alert> Motorhome which broke down a couple
>> of weeks ago on the way to a hillclimb.
>>
>> Those on FB may have seen some of it. It's turning into quite a marathon
>> in time and £££. I did have someone lined up to help/actually do the job
>> but then they ghosted me. I suspect they realised how much work was
>> involved and left the country.
>
> Tradesmen, innit. I can't even get a local roofer to call me back, let alone give me a quote.
>
> You're making me feel a lot better about spending £££££££ on a newish van though, rather than chancing it with an old one.
>

>> I think there's a least a couple more days (not full time) of stuff to
>> do before it's (hopefully) all working again.
>
> Flying solo at the weekend then? I'm trying to work out how much meat to take.

ps, unfortunately there's no telling buying even a newish vehicle these
days, at least IME.

The T4 when I bought it wasn't that old IIRC, and had a wiring failure
along with needing new injectors at a relatively low age/mileage.

Prior the that my 740 beemer was only 3 years old when I bought and in
the end I got fed up with taking it back for warranty claims.[1][2]

[1] The rear windscreen was replaced three times.

[2] the most annoying of which was a handling fault that they *never*
fixed. I took it back at least ten times for that.[3]

[3] Years later I found a website that listed the common faults and the
cure for that problem was there. I did it myself quite cheaply.[4]

[4] Oh yeah, I think the instrument panel was replaced 2 or 3x, again I
found a permanent fix much later on.

--
/Simon

Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<d09f2482-38f7-4102-8131-2696c625c821n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11009&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11009

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 13:15:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 20:15 UTC

On Wednesday, 27 July 2022 at 19:33:31 UTC+1, ogden wrote:

<snip>

> Tradesmen, innit. I can't even get a local roofer to call me back, let alone give me a quote.

It's because you've been ringing around looking for a quote.

The tradesmen will all be talking at the builders merchants about you when they
carry out the monthly market fixing session.

Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<tbsajl$2knac$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11012&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11012

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
stuff
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 14:27:18 -0700
 by: Turby - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:27 UTC

On 7/27/2022 10:45 AM, siwilson wrote:
> I have a seemingly endless list of things that are b0rked. Current top
> of the list is the <on topic alert> Motorhome which broke down a couple
> of weeks ago on the way to a hillclimb.
>
> Those on FB may have seen some of it. It's turning into quite a marathon
> in time and £££. I did have someone lined up to help/actually do the job
> but then they ghosted me. I suspect they realised how much work was
> involved and left the country.

You let slip how much you wanted to do the job yourself.
(C'mon, you know you want to.)

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<55afdc03-d561-4566-8409-a0943b2112e5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11015&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11015

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 02:10:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: york...@gmail.com (Hog)
 by: Hog - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:10 UTC

On Wednesday, 27 July 2022 at 20:35:36 UTC+1, siwilson wrote:
> On 27/07/2022 19:33, ogden wrote:
> > siwilson wrote:
> >> I have a seemingly endless list of things that are b0rked. Current top
> >> of the list is the <on topic alert> Motorhome which broke down a couple
> >> of weeks ago on the way to a hillclimb.
> >>
> >> Those on FB may have seen some of it. It's turning into quite a marathon
> >> in time and £££. I did have someone lined up to help/actually do the job
> >> but then they ghosted me. I suspect they realised how much work was
> >> involved and left the country.
> >
> > Tradesmen, innit. I can't even get a local roofer to call me back, let alone give me a quote.
> >
> > You're making me feel a lot better about spending £££££££ on a newish van though, rather than chancing it with an old one.
> >

> >> I think there's a least a couple more days (not full time) of stuff to
> >> do before it's (hopefully) all working again.
> >
> > Flying solo at the weekend then? I'm trying to work out how much meat to take.
> ps, unfortunately there's no telling buying even a newish vehicle these
> days, at least IME.
>
> The T4 when I bought it wasn't that old IIRC, and had a wiring failure
> along with needing new injectors at a relatively low age/mileage.
>
> Prior the that my 740 beemer was only 3 years old when I bought and in
> the end I got fed up with taking it back for warranty claims.[1][2]
>
> [1] The rear windscreen was replaced three times.
>
> [2] the most annoying of which was a handling fault that they *never*
> fixed. I took it back at least ten times for that.[3]
>
> [3] Years later I found a website that listed the common faults and the
> cure for that problem was there. I did it myself quite cheaply.[4]
>
> [4] Oh yeah, I think the instrument panel was replaced 2 or 3x, again I
> found a permanent fix much later on.

Your stable seems to be missing a (2017) Gen #2 KTM. Get there before Timo beats you to the punch.

Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<jkf4opF12dnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11017&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11017

From: edd...@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
stuff
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:55:36 +0100
 by: Eddie - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:55 UTC

On 27/07/2022 19:33, ogden wrote:
> siwilson wrote:
>
>> I think there's a least a couple more days (not full time) of stuff to
>> do before it's (hopefully) all working again.
>
> Flying solo at the weekend then? I'm trying to work out how much meat to take.

That's no way to talk about your mistresses.

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<jkf77kFa1c8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11019&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11019

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 28 Jul 2022 10:37:40 GMT
 by: sweller - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:37 UTC

Stephen Packer wrote:

> > Tradesmen, innit. I can't even get a local roofer to call me back,
> > let alone give me a quote.
>
> It's because you've been ringing around looking for a quote.
>
> The tradesmen will all be talking at the builders merchants about you
> when they carry out the monthly market fixing session.

Heh Heh.

--
Simon

Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<jkfhevFbjflU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11023&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11023

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
stuff
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 14:32:15 +0100
 by: siwilson - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 13:32 UTC

On 27/07/2022 22:27, Turby wrote:
> On 7/27/2022 10:45 AM, siwilson wrote:
>> I have a seemingly endless list of things that are b0rked. Current top
>> of the list is the <on topic alert> Motorhome which broke down a
>> couple of weeks ago on the way to a hillclimb.
>>
>> Those on FB may have seen some of it. It's turning into quite a
>> marathon in time and £££. I did have someone lined up to help/actually
>> do the job but then they ghosted me. I suspect they realised how much
>> work was involved and left the country.
>>

> You let slip how much you wanted to do the job yourself.
> (C'mon, you know you want to.)

I really didn't.

--
/Simon

Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<pan$3f6e8$22fd79ab$d76f4a60$21d6d352@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11037&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11037

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
stuff
Date: 28 Jul 2022 18:32:15 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 18:32 UTC

El Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:45:58 +0100, siwilson escribió:

> I have a seemingly endless list of things that are b0rked. Current top
> of the list is the <on topic alert> Motorhome which broke down a couple
> of weeks ago on the way to a hillclimb.
>
> Those on FB may have seen some of it. It's turning into quite a marathon
> in time and £££. I did have someone lined up to help/actually do the job
> but then they ghosted me. I suspect they realised how much work was
> involved and left the country.
>
> I think there's a least a couple more days (not full time) of stuff to
> do before it's (hopefully) all working again.

I have a flat in a residential enclosure (urbanización).

They were about to get a plumber in and pay a ton of money to have the
"broken" pool filter fixed. I happened to hear about it and popped in to
take a look (I've had a lot of experience with such things).

I expect some here will know that a pool filter has a multiway valve for
changing to backwash/rinse/circulation/drainage etc.

Said valve has a cotter pin type thingy that fixes the handle to the
mechanism. The pin was almost all the way out. I tapped it back in and
all was well again. About 300€ saved.

At least 3 adult males had looked at it.

I am not envious of such people.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<hvs5ehd5h4ek6256ii30ri3veblhv2ffed@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11039&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11039

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 21:42:05 +0100
 by: Pipl - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 20:42 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:45:58 +0100, siwilson
<siwilson@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a seemingly endless list of things that are b0rked. Current top
>of the list is the <on topic alert> Motorhome which broke down a couple
>of weeks ago on the way to a hillclimb.
>
>Those on FB may have seen some of it. It's turning into quite a marathon
>in time and £££. I did have someone lined up to help/actually do the job
>but then they ghosted me. I suspect they realised how much work was
>involved and left the country.
>
>I think there's a least a couple more days (not full time) of stuff to
>do before it's (hopefully) all working again.

I've been toying with giving my car a cambelt change because it's
overdue. But appaently it is a major, major PITA, involving raising
and lowering the engine to get the engine mount and tensioner out.

Your adventures are not helping.

--

-Pip

Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<ntv5ehh24fpe7eojodkgqttqs7qmbejhf5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11040&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11040

From: mar...@markr.myzen.co.uk (Mark Roberts)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 22:30:16 +0100
 by: Mark Roberts - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 21:30 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 13:15:39 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
<stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, 27 July 2022 at 19:33:31 UTC+1, ogden wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> Tradesmen, innit. I can't even get a local roofer to call me back, let alone give me a quote.
>
>It's because you've been ringing around looking for a quote.
>
>The tradesmen will all be talking at the builders merchants about you when they
>carry out the monthly market fixing session.

Only if he's a dick. No one does this for nice customers.
--
Mark Roberts

Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<tbv6fq$39omo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11043&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11043

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
stuff
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 16:35:21 -0700
 by: Turby - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 23:35 UTC

On 7/27/2022 10:45 AM, siwilson wrote:
> I have a seemingly endless list of things that are b0rked. Current top
> of the list is the <on topic alert> Motorhome which broke down a couple
> of weeks ago on the way to a hillclimb.
>
> Those on FB may have seen some of it. It's turning into quite a marathon
> in time and £££. I did have someone lined up to help/actually do the job
> but then they ghosted me. I suspect they realised how much work was
> involved and left the country.
>
> I think there's a least a couple more days (not full time) of stuff to
> do before it's (hopefully) all working again.

Things that are borked - not so much. Maybe a handful. But tasks that
need to get done? A ton. Leaping to the top of the list are the fleas.
Those goddamn motherfucking cocksucking evil bastards. Pardon my
profanity, but they deserve it. Two weeks ago, a neighbor told me there
are some homeless people in a tent in the canyon below my house. I went
down to my property line, looked around, didn't see anything, and came
back up. I was down there maybe 15 minutes. Next thing I know, I'm
infested with fleas. The size of a pinhead, but as painful as the worst
mosquitoes. Keeping me up at night, scratching everywhere, screaming in
agony. I've bombed three times, vacuumed, laundered, pinched, hammered,
you name it, I've done it. I am in the process of deep cleaning the
entire house. Finding places I didn't know existed. The next step is
hire a professional. What I don't understand is why are they so painful?
Their body mass is less than half the size of a drop of blood. The
hypodermic at the clinic isn't nearly as painful. If those fleas just
sat on my skin and drank their fill of blood, I wouldn't know and I
wouldn't kill them. Why do they cause so much pain?

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff

<XnsAEE36A3C5884Dwtymmmsas@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11046&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11046

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 09:26:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 09:26 UTC

Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote in news:tbv6fq$39omo$1@dont-email.me:

> On 7/27/2022 10:45 AM, siwilson wrote:
>> I have a seemingly endless list of things that are b0rked. Current
>> top of the list is the <on topic alert> Motorhome which broke down a
>> couple of weeks ago on the way to a hillclimb.
>>
>> Those on FB may have seen some of it. It's turning into quite a
>> marathon in time and £££. I did have someone lined up to
>> help/actually do the job but then they ghosted me. I suspect they
>> realised how much work was involved and left the country.
>>
>> I think there's a least a couple more days (not full time) of stuff
>> to do before it's (hopefully) all working again.
>>
> Things that are borked - not so much. Maybe a handful. But tasks that
> need to get done? A ton. Leaping to the top of the list are the fleas.
> Those goddamn motherfucking cocksucking evil bastards. Pardon my
> profanity, but they deserve it. Two weeks ago, a neighbor told me
> there are some homeless people in a tent in the canyon below my house.
> I went down to my property line, looked around, didn't see anything,
> and came back up. I was down there maybe 15 minutes. Next thing I
> know, I'm infested with fleas. The size of a pinhead, but as painful
> as the worst mosquitoes. Keeping me up at night, scratching
> everywhere, screaming in agony. I've bombed three times, vacuumed,
> laundered, pinched, hammered, you name it, I've done it. I am in the
> process of deep cleaning the entire house. Finding places I didn't
> know existed. The next step is hire a professional. What I don't
> understand is why are they so painful? Their body mass is less than
> half the size of a drop of blood. The hypodermic at the clinic isn't
> nearly as painful. If those fleas just sat on my skin and drank their
> fill of blood, I wouldn't know and I wouldn't kill them. Why do they
> cause so much pain?

flea bites used to be an occupational hazard when I worked in
safeguarding. Dog or cat fleas. I think they inject some enzymes into
you to ease access and I also react to the bites. Drugs are the answer,
antihistamines. Piriton (chlorphenamine) works best as it is fast acting
but is a) short acting and b) an older type that has a sedative effect
which can help with the sleep at least.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / I'm beginning to feel envious of people that can't/won't fix stuff