There is no substitute for good manners, except, perhaps, fast reflexes.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Repair an executive leather covered office chair

SubjectAuthor
* Repair an executive leather covered office chairpinnerite
+* Re: Repair an executive leather covered office chairnothanks
|`* Re: Repair an executive leather covered office chairalan_m
| `- Re: Repair an executive leather covered office chairpinnerite
`- Re: Repair an executive leather covered office chairPaul

1
Repair an executive leather covered office chair

<20231204194019.ec35bea5fc438344166c80f4@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110646&group=uk.d-i-y#110646

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Repair an executive leather covered office chair
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 19:40:19 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 19:40 UTC

This was purchased from Costco over five years ago and I was very happy
with it.

Until the leather started pealing from the arms revealing a fabric
substrate. Spotting a persuasive advert for stick on leather I bought
some. It peeled off in no time.

I found the original assembly instructions marked TikTok hoping to try
and find a link to the manufacturer but that didn't help either. I'm
posting this in the hopes of some Eureka advice.

TIA

Alan

--
Linux Mint 21.1 kernel version 5.15.0-89-generic Cinnamon 5.6.8
AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU 16Gb Dram 2TB Barracuda

Re: Repair an executive leather covered office chair

<kt6sf0Fg7d3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110648&group=uk.d-i-y#110648

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 20:51:45 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 20:51 UTC

On 04/12/2023 19:40, pinnerite wrote:
> This was purchased from Costco over five years ago and I was very happy
> with it.
>
> Until the leather started pealing from the arms revealing a fabric
> substrate. Spotting a persuasive advert for stick on leather I bought
> some. It peeled off in no time.
>
> I found the original assembly instructions marked TikTok hoping to try
> and find a link to the manufacturer but that didn't help either. I'm
> posting this in the hopes of some Eureka advice.
>
> TIA
>
> Alan

If you search for "leatherette repair" or "faux leather repair" you will
find a lot of info

Re: Repair an executive leather covered office chair

<kt6thtFgcmnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110649&group=uk.d-i-y#110649

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 21:10:22 +0000
 by: alan_m - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 21:10 UTC

On 04/12/2023 20:51, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> On 04/12/2023 19:40, pinnerite wrote:
>> This was purchased from Costco over five years ago and I was very happy
>> with it.
>>
>> Until the leather started pealing from the arms revealing a fabric
>> substrate. Spotting a persuasive advert for stick on leather I bought
>> some. It peeled off in no time.
>>
>> I found the original assembly instructions marked TikTok hoping to try
>> and find a link to the manufacturer but that didn't help either. I'm
>> posting this in the hopes of some Eureka advice.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Alan
>>
> If you search for "leatherette repair" or "faux leather repair" you will
> find a lot of info

Often the office chairs sold as leather only have a token leather panel,
the top of the seat and/or the front surface of the back and the rest is
fake leather or vinyl.

Even the leather may be bonded leather rather than a tanned hide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonded_leather

Re: Repair an executive leather covered office chair

<uklilv$3j6t4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110650&group=uk.d-i-y#110650

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 17:09:01 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 22:09 UTC

On 12/4/2023 2:40 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> This was purchased from Costco over five years ago and I was very happy
> with it.
>
> Until the leather started pealing from the arms revealing a fabric
> substrate. Spotting a persuasive advert for stick on leather I bought
> some. It peeled off in no time.
>
> I found the original assembly instructions marked TikTok hoping to try
> and find a link to the manufacturer but that didn't help either. I'm
> posting this in the hopes of some Eureka advice.
>
> TIA
>
> Alan

You can consult an upholstery or a leather shop, for ideas.

Arm rests, are a Level 37 DIY project. Anybody can wrap gaffer
tape around the armrest, and the tape will last for two weeks.
You don't get "points" for doing it that way.

Stick on leather ? NO.

Making a permanent repair, where the armrest is not a "thermal bridge",
that requires a lot of skills, and access to specialty shops. You can't
just take any old upholstery cloth bolt and sew up an armrest, as that
will last longer than gaffer tape, but a shorter time than you
really had in mind.

You *do not* want to be doing this, over and over again. The
chair will end up in the tip, rapidly, if that is how it's
going to turn out.

The chair I'm sitting in, has DIY armrests, but they are
rated a "fail". One of the replacements started to crack, and
I had to reinforce it with aluminium to try and hold the pieces
together. Arm rests simply have too many stupid curves and
only-close-to-planar surfaces. You need a bloody NC machine to
make a good fit.

Think of it this way. If the manufacturer cannot make a good
armrest, what chance do you have ???

If you select a "popular" chair, like a Herman Miller Aeron,
there are enough "junked chairs" out there, you might be able
to find parts. At the startup company I worked at, our furniture
was a lot of used Herman Miller from a bank. There were good chairs
in the lot. And duff chairs. As a newly hired employee, you were
sent back into the storage area, to extract a chair and put it
into working order :-) Piece of cake, when you have all those
spare parts staring you in the face.

That's the advantage of selecting an "expensive but popular" item,
where there are a ton of junkers to use for parts. In my local area,
there could have been *thousands* of those in circulation at one time.
Getting a hundred of those chairs as a bulk lot from a bank, is just the
tip of the iceberg. Since COVID, there would be another "rush" of
used furniture in the market. There are lots of workers, still working
at home, and they did not necessarily get to take chairs from
work, to their home office. One place I visited, all the chairs
and the cubicle jungle, are still sitting there. Deserted.

There are even discussions here, to take the office space now
sitting idle, and make accommodation for people in it. As there
is a (self-generated) housing shortage, and creative ideas are
welcome at a time like this. I've seen municipalities make
"tiny shit one room houses" for people, little better than a
garden shed. And the people in them ? They're glad to have them!
It beats sleeping in the woods.

Rather than fix the armrest, you could look into the used market.
For an Aeron, you need a rough idea of size. For example, as a joke
at my other work place, people would order an XL chair even if
they didn't need one, because they could pretend to be a
"big ass boss" in such a chair :-) The original Aeron came in
S,M,L,XL while the current day chairs only rate S,M,L and there
does not seem to be a fourth size now. As a joke then, if you
needed an L, you ordered an XL so your chair would be bigger
than the other staff chairs.

Paul

Re: Repair an executive leather covered office chair

<20231205204848.22e5d38eab70a1dcae534917@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=110715&group=uk.d-i-y#110715

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 20:48:48 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 20:48 UTC

On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 21:10:22 +0000
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 04/12/2023 20:51, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> > On 04/12/2023 19:40, pinnerite wrote:
> >> This was purchased from Costco over five years ago and I was very happy
> >> with it.
> >>
> >> Until the leather started pealing from the arms revealing a fabric
> >> substrate. Spotting a persuasive advert for stick on leather I bought
> >> some. It peeled off in no time.
> >>
> >> I found the original assembly instructions marked TikTok hoping to try
> >> and find a link to the manufacturer but that didn't help either. I'm
> >> posting this in the hopes of some Eureka advice.
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> Alan
> >>
> > If you search for "leatherette repair" or "faux leather repair" you will
> > find a lot of info
>
> Often the office chairs sold as leather only have a token leather panel,
> the top of the seat and/or the front surface of the back and the rest is
> fake leather or vinyl.
>
> Even the leather may be bonded leather rather than a tanned hide.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonded_leather

I discovered some youtube videos that describe what i was looking for.
I then checked out kits that will/may do the job.
They admit it won't last for ever.

I will have to do it in the garden because the spray will go everywhere
so I cannot begin until the spring.