Not a flying toy.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?Andy Burns
+* Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?Theo
|+- Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?David
|`- Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?Pamela
+* Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?Davey
|+- Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?alan_m
|`* Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?Harry Bloomfield Esq
| `- Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?Davey
`- Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?Peter Johnson

1
Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?

<ktli4nFms0rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=111146&group=uk.d-i-y#111146

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:27:35 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:27 UTC

wrights...@f2s.com wrote:

> https://www.seriousreaders.com/products/high-definition-floor-light
>
> Bill

Hi Bill,

It looks like your message got flagged as "spam" and got cancelled from
the N-I-N server, not sure about other servers?

That's the risk of using googlegroups nowadays ...

My mother had one of their earlier high-CRI floorstanding LED reading
lamps and seemed happy with it.

Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?

<32o*CEwxz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=111150&group=uk.d-i-y#111150

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 10 Dec 2023 11:18:11 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 11:18 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
>
> > https://www.seriousreaders.com/products/high-definition-floor-light
> >
> > Bill
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> It looks like your message got flagged as "spam" and got cancelled from
> the N-I-N server, not sure about other servers?
>
> That's the risk of using googlegroups nowadays ...

I didn't see it, but I have an all-GG killfile apart from a whitelist (which
I'll add Bill to)

> My mother had one of their earlier high-CRI floorstanding LED reading
> lamps and seemed happy with it.

As heavily advertised on daytime TV...

There are some good variable temperature/dimmable remote control LED floor
lamps in the £20-40 bracket these days. Couldn't vouch for the CRI but some
claim >95:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOOSTONE-Standing-Brightness-Standard-Included/dp/B0CL6QV17P/
(no experience)

Maybe Serious is better, but not 10x better.

They also sell their bulbs for a fraction of the price of their lights and they
appear to be standard MR16 or similar fittings. So probably possible to
swap one into another brand of lamp:
https://www.seriousreaders.com/pages/replacement-bulbs

Theo

Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?

<ul472p$2lflv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=111151&group=uk.d-i-y#111151

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 11:23:05 +0000
 by: Davey - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 11:23 UTC

On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:27:35 +0000
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
>
> > https://www.seriousreaders.com/products/high-definition-floor-light
> >
> > Bill
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> It looks like your message got flagged as "spam" and got cancelled
> from the N-I-N server, not sure about other servers?
>
> That's the risk of using googlegroups nowadays ...
>
> My mother had one of their earlier high-CRI floorstanding LED reading
> lamps and seemed happy with it.

My late wife bought two Serious Readers lights, and she loved them. But
they are very expensive, and the power supply is always powered up,
which is unforgivable nowadays.

--
Davey.

Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?

<ktlm68Fpo78U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=111152&group=uk.d-i-y#111152

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 11:36:40 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 11:36 UTC

On 10/12/2023 11:23, Davey wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:27:35 +0000
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>
>> wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.seriousreaders.com/products/high-definition-floor-light
>>>
>>> Bill
>>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> It looks like your message got flagged as "spam" and got cancelled
>> from the N-I-N server, not sure about other servers?
>>
>> That's the risk of using googlegroups nowadays ...
>>
>> My mother had one of their earlier high-CRI floorstanding LED reading
>> lamps and seemed happy with it.
>>

> My late wife bought two Serious Readers lights, and she loved them. But
> they are very expensive, and the power supply is always powered up,
> which is unforgivable nowadays.

For most people with reading difficulty it may be just a matter of
improving the contrast on a printed page. For me I find that a LED lamp
in the cool white/blue end of the spectrum achieves this. You can
purchase floor standing LED lamps with flexible over the head arm for a
tenth of the price of these lamps.

Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?

<ul4a0d$2kmd7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=111155&group=uk.d-i-y#111155

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:13:01 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:13 UTC

On 10/12/2023 11:23, Davey wrote:
> My late wife bought two Serious Readers lights, and she loved them. But
> they are very expensive, and the power supply is always powered up,
> which is unforgivable nowadays.

They massively overpriced, smoke and mirrors, sold to a gullible public.

Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?

<ul4ceu$2m8ku$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=111160&group=uk.d-i-y#111160

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:54:53 +0000
 by: Davey - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:54 UTC

On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 12:13:01 +0000
Harry Bloomfield Esq <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:

> On 10/12/2023 11:23, Davey wrote:
> > My late wife bought two Serious Readers lights, and she loved them.
> > But they are very expensive, and the power supply is always powered
> > up, which is unforgivable nowadays.
>
> They massively overpriced, smoke and mirrors, sold to a gullible
> public.

No argument here.

--
Davey.

Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?

<ktlrbkF8pspU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=111161&group=uk.d-i-y#111161

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 10 Dec 2023 13:04:52 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 13:04 UTC

On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 11:18:11 +0000, Theo wrote:

> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
>>
>> > https://www.seriousreaders.com/products/high-definition-floor-light
>> >
>> > Bill
>>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> It looks like your message got flagged as "spam" and got cancelled from
>> the N-I-N server, not sure about other servers?
>>
>> That's the risk of using googlegroups nowadays ...
>
> I didn't see it, but I have an all-GG killfile apart from a whitelist
> (which I'll add Bill to)
>
>> My mother had one of their earlier high-CRI floorstanding LED reading
>> lamps and seemed happy with it.
>
> As heavily advertised on daytime TV...
>
> There are some good variable temperature/dimmable remote control LED
> floor lamps in the £20-40 bracket these days. Couldn't vouch for the
> CRI but some claim >95:
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOOSTONE-Standing-Brightness-Standard-Included/
dp/B0CL6QV17P/
> (no experience)
>
> Maybe Serious is better, but not 10x better.
>
> They also sell their bulbs for a fraction of the price of their lights
> and they appear to be standard MR16 or similar fittings. So probably
> possible to swap one into another brand of lamp:
> https://www.seriousreaders.com/pages/replacement-bulbs
>
> Theo

Useful thread.
I'm looking for a brighter reading lamp at the moment and this (or
similar) might fit the bill.
I'm not up for £400 spend at the moment, though.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?

<a3nbni1c6tdorj9h6fnpr6s4rniij5gevl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=111174&group=uk.d-i-y#111174

From: pet...@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 15:56:05 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 15:56 UTC

On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:27:35 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
>
>> https://www.seriousreaders.com/products/high-definition-floor-light

Probably not value for money but I've got two of them, a
floor-standing one, and a desktop one, that I've had for nearly 20
years. They are well made and they used to be made to order but I
don't know if that is still the case.

When the integral PSU on the floor standing one packed up a few years
ago I emailed them and they offeed a service whereby they collected
it, changed the PSU for an external one, and converted the lamp to
digital, ie changed the head to take an led bulb, and returned it
within a week, which I accepted.
The new LED bulb lasted about a year but I didn't go back to them
because their prices for bulbs are certainly not good value for money.
I found a similar item, it needs a heatsink built into the base, for
about a third of the price that has now been in use for several years.
My led has better light output than theres, too.

Re: Opinions wanted: is this value for money?

<XnsB0D784655E7715D4AM2@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=111228&group=uk.d-i-y#111228

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:00:54 GMT
 by: Pamela - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:00 UTC

On 11:18 10 Dec 2023, Theo said:
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> wrights...@f2s.com wrote:
>>
>> > https://www.seriousreaders.com/products/high-definition-floor-light
>> >
>> > Bill
>>

>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> It looks like your message got flagged as "spam" and got cancelled
>> from the N-I-N server, not sure about other servers?
>>
>> That's the risk of using googlegroups nowadays ...
>
> I didn't see it, but I have an all-GG killfile apart from a whitelist
> (which I'll add Bill to)
>
>> My mother had one of their earlier high-CRI floorstanding LED reading
>> lamps and seemed happy with it.
>
> As heavily advertised on daytime TV...
>
> There are some good variable temperature/dimmable remote control LED
> floor lamps in the �20-40 bracket these days. Couldn't vouch for the
> CRI but some claim 95:
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOOSTONE-Standing-Brightness-Standard-
> Included/dp/B0CL6QV17P/ (no experience)
>
> Maybe Serious is better, but not 10x better.
>
> They also sell their bulbs for a fraction of the price of their lights
> and they appear to be standard MR16 or similar fittings. So probably
> possible to swap one into another brand of lamp:
> https://www.seriousreaders.com/pages/replacement-bulbs
>
> Theo

Maybe Serious Readers is another Russ Andrews?

https://www.russandrews.com/