Somewhere, just out of sight, the unicorns are gathering.

aus+uk / aus.aviation / Re: New project.

SubjectAuthor
* New project.keithr0
+- Re: New project.Daryl
+* Re: New project.Computer Nerd Kev
|`* Re: New project.keithr0
| `* Re: New project.Computer Nerd Kev
|  `* Re: New project.Computer Nerd Kev
|   `- Re: New project.Computer Nerd Kev
`- Re: New project.Magani

1
New project.

<jbv69eFi2gmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1116&group=aus.aviation#1116

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Subject: New project.
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:33:17 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 06:33 UTC

https://imgur.com/a/zbWfhgy

A 1942 US Norden bombsight, found tucked away and forgotten in a box,
needs some TLC. The first picture shows the whole thing, the other two
the inside of the left hand section. On the left in these pictures is
the gyro stabilised platform that keeps the telescope on the right
stable as the aircraft maneuvers. The really smart part is not shown
here, it is a mechanical computer, given the altitude, and the
bombardier keeping the target in the crosshairs, it works out the
correct moment to drop the bombs.

Several of the controls are seized and it needs a coat of black crackle
paint, should keep me busy for a while.

Re: New project.

<jbv6i0Fi3rlU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1117&group=aus.aviation#1117

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Subject: Re: New project.
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 16:37:50 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 06:37 UTC

On 16/4/2022 4:33 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> https://imgur.com/a/zbWfhgy
>
> A 1942 US Norden bombsight, found tucked away and forgotten in a box,
> needs some TLC. The first picture shows the whole thing, the other two
> the inside of the left hand section. On the left in these pictures is
> the gyro stabilised platform that keeps the telescope on the right
> stable as the aircraft maneuvers. The really smart part is not shown
> here, it is a mechanical computer, given the altitude, and the
> bombardier keeping the target in the crosshairs, it works out the
> correct moment to drop the bombs.
>
> Several of the controls are seized and it needs a coat of black crackle
> paint, should keep me busy for a while.

Cool, all you need now is a bomber and some bombs:-)

--
Daryl

Re: New project.

<t3e9kp$16sv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1118&group=aus.aviation#1118

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:34:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:34 UTC

keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
> https://imgur.com/a/zbWfhgy
>
> A 1942 US Norden bombsight, found tucked away and forgotten in a box,
> needs some TLC. The first picture shows the whole thing, the other two
> the inside of the left hand section. On the left in these pictures is
> the gyro stabilised platform that keeps the telescope on the right
> stable as the aircraft maneuvers. The really smart part is not shown
> here, it is a mechanical computer, given the altitude, and the
> bombardier keeping the target in the crosshairs, it works out the
> correct moment to drop the bombs.

Very nice. A US training film for it is online, I watched it and
was thoroughly confused, but it made the point of how tricky the
problem is.

I've got one of the simpler CSBS type bomb sights (Mk. VII B)
sitting behind me right now actually. Shown (vaguely) in the movie
"One of Our Aircraft is Missing", which I happened to watch
recently. Not nearly as complex as the Norden, but still quite
ingenious and precisely made.

> Several of the controls are seized and it needs a coat of black crackle
> paint, should keep me busy for a while.

Sometimes they used radium paint for the indicator markings on such
equipment, which is something to watch if you're pulling it apart.
Though I guess you're probably well aware of all that. I'd be
interested to see any other photos that you take deeper inside.

P.S. I don't suppose you'd be interested in looking at photos of
some (much less interesting) bits from WWII aircraft and
suggesting what their function might have been?

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: New project.

<477c8240-ce2e-4430-a414-87f76c28df46n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1119&group=aus.aviation#1119

Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:04:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: cdsr...@gmail.com (Magani)
 by: Magani - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 00:04 UTC

On Saturday, 16 April 2022 at 4:33:20 pm UTC+10, keithr0 wrote:
> https://imgur.com/a/zbWfhgy
>
> A 1942 US Norden bombsight, found tucked away and forgotten in a box,
> needs some TLC. The first picture shows the whole thing, the other two
> the inside of the left hand section. On the left in these pictures is
> the gyro stabilised platform that keeps the telescope on the right
> stable as the aircraft maneuvers. The really smart part is not shown
> here, it is a mechanical computer, given the altitude, and the
> bombardier keeping the target in the crosshairs, it works out the
> correct moment to drop the bombs.
>
> Several of the controls are seized and it needs a coat of black crackle
> paint, should keep me busy for a while.

Well found! Just think that 80 years ago you could probably be taken out and shot as a spy for revealing these photos!

Good luck with the restoration.

Re: New project.

<jc1jmvF1me5U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1120&group=aus.aviation#1120

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:34:38 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 04:34 UTC

On 16/04/2022 9:34 pm, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
>> https://imgur.com/a/zbWfhgy
>>
>> A 1942 US Norden bombsight, found tucked away and forgotten in a box,
>> needs some TLC. The first picture shows the whole thing, the other two
>> the inside of the left hand section. On the left in these pictures is
>> the gyro stabilised platform that keeps the telescope on the right
>> stable as the aircraft maneuvers. The really smart part is not shown
>> here, it is a mechanical computer, given the altitude, and the
>> bombardier keeping the target in the crosshairs, it works out the
>> correct moment to drop the bombs.
>
> Very nice. A US training film for it is online, I watched it and
> was thoroughly confused, but it made the point of how tricky the
> problem is.

It isn't so complex when you get down to it, I can give an explanation
when I get back in a weeks time.

> I've got one of the simpler CSBS type bomb sights (Mk. VII B)
> sitting behind me right now actually. Shown (vaguely) in the movie
> "One of Our Aircraft is Missing", which I happened to watch
> recently. Not nearly as complex as the Norden, but still quite
> ingenious and precisely made.

That's quite a rarity rather less sophisticated than the Norden, but
widely used in the early part of WWII. As a teenager, I really wanted a
computer unit from a MK XIV, you could buy them for 30 shillings, but my
spoilsport parents wouldn't advance me the money :(

>> Several of the controls are seized and it needs a coat of black crackle
>> paint, should keep me busy for a while.
>
> Sometimes they used radium paint for the indicator markings on such
> equipment, which is something to watch if you're pulling it apart.
> Though I guess you're probably well aware of all that. I'd be
> interested to see any other photos that you take deeper inside.

There isn't any luminous paint in it as far as I can see, since it is
supposed to be a precision sight, I suppose that it was only expected to
be used in daytime. When I was a kid, though, somebody gave me a fuel
gauge from a B17. It had great globs of luminous paint which I liked to
scrape with my pen knife since that gave off little sparks!

> P.S. I don't suppose you'd be interested in looking at photos of
> some (much less interesting) bits from WWII aircraft and
> suggesting what their function might have been?

I would be interested, but I'm going to be away for the next week so
don't expect a quick reply.

Re: New project.

<625ca0a9@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1121&group=aus.aviation#1121

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: 18 Apr 2022 09:20:09 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 23:20 UTC

keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
> On 16/04/2022 9:34 pm, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>> keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
>>> https://imgur.com/a/zbWfhgy
>>>
>>> A 1942 US Norden bombsight, found tucked away and forgotten in a box,
>>> needs some TLC. The first picture shows the whole thing, the other two
>>> the inside of the left hand section. On the left in these pictures is
>>> the gyro stabilised platform that keeps the telescope on the right
>>> stable as the aircraft maneuvers. The really smart part is not shown
>>> here, it is a mechanical computer, given the altitude, and the
>>> bombardier keeping the target in the crosshairs, it works out the
>>> correct moment to drop the bombs.
>>
>> Very nice. A US training film for it is online, I watched it and
>> was thoroughly confused, but it made the point of how tricky the
>> problem is.
>
> It isn't so complex when you get down to it, I can give an explanation
> when I get back in a weeks time.

I'd be interested for sure.

>> I've got one of the simpler CSBS type bomb sights (Mk. VII B)
>> sitting behind me right now actually. Shown (vaguely) in the movie
>> "One of Our Aircraft is Missing", which I happened to watch
>> recently. Not nearly as complex as the Norden, but still quite
>> ingenious and precisely made.
>
> That's quite a rarity rather less sophisticated than the Norden, but
> widely used in the early part of WWII. As a teenager, I really wanted a
> computer unit from a MK XIV, you could buy them for 30 shillings, but my
> spoilsport parents wouldn't advance me the money :(

Amazing all the war surplus stuff advertised for sale in issues of
R,TV&H after the war. No wonder things your Norden are still found
hidden in dusty boxes at the back of sheds.

>>> Several of the controls are seized and it needs a coat of black crackle
>>> paint, should keep me busy for a while.
>>
>> Sometimes they used radium paint for the indicator markings on such
>> equipment, which is something to watch if you're pulling it apart.
>> Though I guess you're probably well aware of all that. I'd be
>> interested to see any other photos that you take deeper inside.
>
> There isn't any luminous paint in it as far as I can see, since it is
> supposed to be a precision sight, I suppose that it was only expected to
> be used in daytime. When I was a kid, though, somebody gave me a fuel
> gauge from a B17. It had great globs of luminous paint which I liked to
> scrape with my pen knife since that gave off little sparks!

Oh dear, well I guess if you survived _that_...

>> P.S. I don't suppose you'd be interested in looking at photos of
>> some (much less interesting) bits from WWII aircraft and
>> suggesting what their function might have been?
>>
> I would be interested, but I'm going to be away for the next week so
> don't expect a quick reply.

That's OK, I'll have to take the photos first when I get the
chance. I think a couple might be bomb releases, but I didn't have
much luck finding pictures of such parts online.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: New project.

<6268f4ec@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1123&group=aus.aviation#1123

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: 27 Apr 2022 17:46:53 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 07:46 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
> keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
>> On 16/04/2022 9:34 pm, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
>
>>> P.S. I don't suppose you'd be interested in looking at photos of
>>> some (much less interesting) bits from WWII aircraft and
>>> suggesting what their function might have been?
>>>
>> I would be interested, but I'm going to be away for the next week so
>> don't expect a quick reply.
>
> That's OK, I'll have to take the photos first when I get the
> chance. I think a couple might be bomb releases, but I didn't have
> much luck finding pictures of such parts online.

Photos here (click thumbnail images for full size):
https://objectstorage.ap-melbourne-1.oraclecloud.com/n/axqlf7atlxkh/b/attachments/o/WWII_aircraft_parts/photo_index.html

I forgot to take a photo of the front of the "2prong_socket" so I
can add that later if it helps. Presumably a high-current power
socket, but from what? It says RAAF on the front.

"electric_catch" pulls a hook into a gap in the case when
power is applied. The "12 VOLT" stamp was very useful for me, but I
can't guess what they're for.

The "EM_release_unit" things are most fun to play with because they
release with quite some force once power is applied. They're
designed so that the magnetic coil has to pull at both ends in
order to trigger the release, and it automatically cuts power to
the coil after release. I'm guessing these are bomb releases.

The "IU" thing seems to be for converting the direction of two
rotating input shafts to the opposite rotation.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: New project.

<6269c360@news.ausics.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1124&group=aus.aviation#1124

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: 28 Apr 2022 08:27:44 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 22:27 UTC

Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

> The "IU" thing seems to be for converting the direction of two
> rotating input shafts to the opposite rotation.

Actually it doesn't, it's just a linkage. I always get confused
by directions of rotation from different perspectives.

--
__ __