Under every stone lurks a politician. -- Aristophanes

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Mechanics fined after fatal truck crash

SubjectAuthor
* Mechanics fined after fatal truck crashDaryl
+* Mechanics fined after fatal truck crashXeno
|`* Mechanics fined after fatal truck crashYosemite Sam
| `- Mechanics fined after fatal truck crashalvey
+* Mechanics fined after fatal truck crashNoddy
|`* Mechanics fined after fatal truck crashDaryl
| `- Mechanics fined after fatal truck crashNoddy
`- Mechanics fined after fatal truck crashClocky

1
Mechanics fined after fatal truck crash

<j6k89qFtgdlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11219&group=aus.cars#11219

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Mechanics fined after fatal truck crash
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 21:38:48 +1100
 by: Daryl - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:38 UTC

Never heard of this happening before, it could open a big can of worms?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-10/wodonga-mechanics-company-fined-over-fatal-truck-crash/100816392

Daryl

Re: Mechanics fined after fatal truck crash

<j6kceaFu996U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11223&group=aus.cars#11223

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Mechanics fined after fatal truck crash
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 22:49:28 +1100
 by: Xeno - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 11:49 UTC

On 10/2/2022 9:38 pm, Daryl wrote:
> Never heard of this happening before, it could open a big can of worms?
>
> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-10/wodonga-mechanics-company-fined-over-fatal-truck-crash/100816392
>
> Daryl

Rubbish! If an inquest finds fault with mechanical work done on a
vehicle that has been involved in a fatal accident, and can point to
faulty work as being the cause then, yes, the mechanics and/or the
company can be charged and fined. The mechanics and the firm can be
charged with criminal negligence, even up to manslaughter. It's a little
matter called *responsibility*.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Mechanics fined after fatal truck crash

<su30g8$kd1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11228&group=aus.cars#11228

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 23:29:57 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 12:29 UTC

On 10/02/2022 9:38 pm, Daryl wrote:
> Never heard of this happening before, it could open a big can of worms?
>
> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-10/wodonga-mechanics-company-fined-over-fatal-truck-crash/100816392

Saw it on the news last night. Apparently the Ringfeder eye on the
trailer failed, and the company charged with the maintenance contract
got the stick for it. I don't know how, as there is no way a regular
maintenance program could predict such a failure, and at the time of the
trailer's last service it was tested and found to be secure.

I guess sometimes they need someone to blame.

Interesting to note that after the trailer broke away there were no
marks anywhere on the road indicating that the maxi brakes had come on
as soon as the air supply was lost.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Mechanics fined after fatal truck crash

<su34vc$gd2$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11232&group=aus.cars#11232

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 21:46:23 +0800
 by: Clocky - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 13:46 UTC

On 10/02/2022 6:38 pm, Daryl wrote:
> Never heard of this happening before, it could open a big can of worms?
>
> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-10/wodonga-mechanics-company-fined-over-fatal-truck-crash/100816392

It's about time Victoria got with the picture and licensed mechanics
like every other progressive state has done.

Re: Mechanics fined after fatal truck crash

<j6ldvkF61noU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11235&group=aus.cars#11235

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 08:21:56 +1100
 by: Daryl - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 21:21 UTC

On 10/2/22 11:29 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 10/02/2022 9:38 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> Never heard of this happening before, it could open a big can of worms?
>>
>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-10/wodonga-mechanics-company-fined-over-fatal-truck-crash/100816392
>

> Saw it on the news last night. Apparently the Ringfeder eye on the
> trailer failed, and the company charged with the maintenance contract
> got the stick for it. I don't know how, as there is no way a regular
> maintenance program could predict such a failure, and at the time of the
> trailer's last service it was tested and found to be secure.

I though the same thing, without removing and xraying the part how would
anyone know that it was about to fail.

> I guess sometimes they need someone to blame.
>
> Interesting to note that after the trailer broke away there were no
> marks anywhere on the road indicating that the maxi brakes had come on
> as soon as the air supply was lost.

Maybe that was the reason they were blamed?

--
Daryl

Re: Mechanics fined after fatal truck crash

<su45rj$8rj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11236&group=aus.cars#11236

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 10:07:27 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 23:07 UTC

On 11/02/2022 8:21 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 10/2/22 11:29 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 10/02/2022 9:38 pm, Daryl wrote:
>>> Never heard of this happening before, it could open a big can of worms?
>>>
>>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-10/wodonga-mechanics-company-fined-over-fatal-truck-crash/100816392
>>

>> Saw it on the news last night. Apparently the Ringfeder eye on the
>> trailer failed, and the company charged with the maintenance contract
>> got the stick for it. I don't know how, as there is no way a regular
>> maintenance program could predict such a failure, and at the time of
>> the trailer's last service it was tested and found to be secure.
>
> I though the same thing, without removing and xraying the part how would
> anyone know that it was about to fail.

Yeah, I'm not sure. The details of the judgement are extremely brief,
but periodic removal and replacement are not part of their normal
procedure any more than doing the same thing to a regular car tow bar I
would think.

>> I guess sometimes they need someone to blame.
>>
>> Interesting to note that after the trailer broke away there were no
>> marks anywhere on the road indicating that the maxi brakes had come on
>> as soon as the air supply was lost.
>

> Maybe that was the reason they were blamed?

Hard to say from the information that's been made available, but it
sounds like they did what is considered "normal" but the legal system
doesn't consider that to be enough.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Mechanics fined after fatal truck crash

<j6llehF7e4kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11241&group=aus.cars#11241

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 10:29:23 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 23:29 UTC

On 10/02/2022 10:49 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 10/2/2022 9:38 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> Never heard of this happening before, it could open a big can of worms?
>>
>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-10/wodonga-mechanics-company-fined-over-fatal-truck-crash/100816392
>>
>> Daryl
>
> Rubbish! If an inquest finds fault with mechanical work done on a
> vehicle that has been involved in a fatal accident, and can point to
> faulty work as being the cause then, yes, the mechanics and/or the
> company can be charged and fined. The mechanics and the firm can be
> charged with criminal negligence, even up to manslaughter. It's a
> little matter called *responsibility*.

not only that but civil action can be taken by the relatives of those
killed.

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam
"His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by

Re: Mechanics fined after fatal truck crash

<1l5qpftoq1g7t.1qgyjkqciau48.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11246&group=aus.cars#11246

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 10:45:30 +1000
 by: alvey - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 00:45 UTC

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 10:29:23 +1100, Yosemite Sam wrote:

> On 10/02/2022 10:49 pm, Xeno wrote:
>> On 10/2/2022 9:38 pm, Daryl wrote:
>>> Never heard of this happening before, it could open a big can of worms?
>>>
>>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-10/wodonga-mechanics-company-fined-over-fatal-truck-crash/100816392
>>>
>>> Daryl
>>
>> Rubbish! If an inquest finds fault with mechanical work done on a
>> vehicle that has been involved in a fatal accident, and can point to
>> faulty work as being the cause then, yes, the mechanics and/or the
>> company can be charged and fined. The mechanics and the firm can be
>> charged with criminal negligence, even up to manslaughter. It's a
>> little matter called *responsibility*.
>>

> not only that but civil action can be taken by the relatives of those
> killed.

I suspect that, as usual, lawyers will be the winners...

alvey