From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: petrol muppet again
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 19:58:42 +0100
 by: siwilson - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 18:58 UTC

Dedicated FB followers of my recent Welsh trip may remember I didn't
trust the fuel gauge[1] on the way there and so I filled up in Port Talbot.

Got back home again without any drama.

Since then I made a very short journey (4 miles) and the bike's sat at
home for a few days.

It really needed a new front tyre so yesterday I ordered one from Demon
Tweaks (110/80r19 Tourance Next). It arrived today [2] so I fitted it
with the usual struggles and grunts, along with pleanty of lube.

Despite inflating to 60 psi and leaving it in the sun for a while it
wouldn't seat the bead so after a google for some suggestions I found
someone who said "ride it". I thought I'd give it a try, and wobbled[3]
around the block. Nearly back home and the bike cut out and wouldn't
restart. It felt like fuel so had a peer in the tank and couldn't hhear
anything sloshing around. The gauge was still reading full.

Pushed it the hundred or so yards home, and took it all apart again to
check the float gauge. There was definitely no fuel left but it was
still reading full. I fiddled around with the joltmeter and I *think*
I've fixed it.[4]

So, a petrol muppet again, only 100yds from home but I could have had a
much crappier time waiting on the M4 for recovery.

Ps the ride/push did bugger all to coax the tyre onto the bead so I
pumped it up to 70psi and that did the job.

[1] I'd recently modded the fuel sensor from some weird "strip" thing,
to a more conventional float/resistor arrangement.

[2] Pretty good service from DT I'd say.

[3] really!

[4] (Connector occasionally not connecting).

Re: petrol muppet again

<jlpq6aF75ojU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11291&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11291

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: petrol muppet again
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 15:18:49 +0100
 by: siwilson - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 14:18 UTC

On 12/08/2022 19:58, siwilson wrote:
> Dedicated FB followers of my recent Welsh trip may remember I didn't
> trust the fuel gauge[1] on the way there and so I filled up in Port Talbot.
>
> Got back home again without any drama.
>
> Since then I made a very short journey (4 miles) and the bike's sat at
> home for a few days.
>
> It really needed a new front tyre so yesterday I ordered one from Demon
> Tweaks (110/80r19 Tourance Next). It arrived today [2] so I fitted it
> with the usual struggles and grunts, along with pleanty of lube.
>
> Despite inflating to 60 psi and leaving it in the sun for a while it
> wouldn't seat the bead so after a google for some suggestions I found
> someone who said "ride it". I thought I'd give it a try, and wobbled[3]
> around the block. Nearly back home and the bike cut out and wouldn't
> restart. It felt like fuel so had a peer in the tank and couldn't hhear
> anything sloshing around. The gauge was still reading full.
>
> Pushed it the hundred or so yards home, and took it all apart again to
> check the float gauge. There was definitely no fuel left but it was
> still reading full. I fiddled around with the joltmeter and I *think*
> I've fixed it.[4]
>
> So, a petrol muppet again, only 100yds from home but I could have had a
> much crappier time waiting on the M4 for recovery.
>
> Ps the ride/push did bugger all to coax the tyre onto the bead so I
> pumped it up to 70psi and that did the job.
>
> [1] I'd recently modded the fuel sensor from some weird "strip" thing,
> to a more conventional float/resistor arrangement.
>
> [2] Pretty good service from DT I'd say.
>
> [3] really!
>
> [4] (Connector occasionally not connecting).

Turns out it feels much better with a new front tyre. (and some fuel).

Or it could have been the crocs/t-shirt/shorts safety gear I was
wearing. Not sure.

--
/Simon

Re: petrol muppet again

<42e1c9e1-687d-4500-b32b-62a63f233c61n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11293&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11293

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 10:18:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 17:18 UTC

On Friday, 12 August 2022 at 19:58:46 UTC+1, siwilson wrote:
> Dedicated FB followers of my recent Welsh trip may remember I didn't
> trust the fuel gauge[1] on the way there and so I filled up in Port Talbot.
>
> Got back home again without any drama.
>
> Since then I made a very short journey (4 miles) and the bike's sat at
> home for a few days.
>
> It really needed a new front tyre so yesterday I ordered one from Demon
> Tweaks (110/80r19 Tourance Next). It arrived today [2] so I fitted it
> with the usual struggles and grunts, along with pleanty of lube.
>
> Despite inflating to 60 psi and leaving it in the sun for a while it
> wouldn't seat the bead so after a google for some suggestions I found
> someone who said "ride it".

Did you try 'bouncing' it when deflated with the valve core out?

I found this helped sit the tyres a bit better before pumping them up.

I sort of spin and bounce at the same time, not sure if it makes any difference
having it rotating on its axis as it hits the ground (probably from being held off
the ground with straight arms.

Be careful though, when they bounce back up they can sometimes catch and
strain fingers (by bending them backwards).

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / petrol muppet again