Your ignorance cramps my conversation.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Water softener operation

SubjectAuthor
* Water softener operationTim Lamb
+* Re: Water softener operationThe Natural Philosopher
|`* Re: Water softener operationTim Lamb
| `- Re: Water softener operationThe Natural Philosopher
`- Re: Water softener operationDavid

1
Water softener operation

<w7oR1XOQMWllFwit@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=113158&group=uk.d-i-y#113158

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Water softener operation
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 13:37:20 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 13:37 UTC

Checking the salt level in our Nuwave MD600 recently, I was surprised to
find the outer container nearly full of brine! Probably at the overflow
outlet level.

Is this normal? I don't remember ever tipping fresh salt tablets into
water.

The handbook explains how to trigger a cycle but does not give a
detailed explanation of the operating sequence.

Can someone kindly run me through the process?
--
Tim Lamb

Re: Water softener operation

<un5uk7$3jqie$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=113195&group=uk.d-i-y#113195

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Water softener operation
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 09:43:35 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 09:43 UTC

On 03/01/2024 13:37, Tim Lamb wrote:
> Checking the salt level in our Nuwave MD600 recently, I was surprised to
> find the outer container nearly full of brine! Probably at the overflow
> outlet level.
>
> Is this normal? I don't remember ever tipping fresh salt tablets into
> water.

no. it is not normal
you may have a blocked drain tube.

> The handbook explains how to trigger a cycle but does not give a
> detailed explanation of the operating sequence.
>
> Can someone kindly run me through the process?

Normally the machine switches the water to bypass mode, runs salty water
through the resin, flushing any excess down the drain...

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

― Confucius

Re: Water softener operation

<TCbJLrQcAollFwE0@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=113208&group=uk.d-i-y#113208

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 09:53:32 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 09:53 UTC

In message <un5uk7$3jqie$4@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 03/01/2024 13:37, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> Checking the salt level in our Nuwave MD600 recently, I was surprised
>>to find the outer container nearly full of brine! Probably at the
>>overflow outlet level.
>> Is this normal? I don't remember ever tipping fresh salt tablets
>>into water.
>>
>no. it is not normal
>you may have a blocked drain tube.
>
>> The handbook explains how to trigger a cycle but does not give a
>>detailed explanation of the operating sequence.
>> Can someone kindly run me through the process?
>
>Normally the machine switches the water to bypass mode, runs salty
>water through the resin, flushing any excess down the drain...

Thanks for that. I suspect an issue with a float valve. Four years since
the last service so I think a call out affordable.

Poking around the Net, I found this:-
https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Water_Softener_Operation.php

Underneath a worktop and sandwiched by the tumble drier, I think this is
a job for a younger body:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Water softener operation

<un603r$3jqie$10@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=113213&group=uk.d-i-y#113213

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 10:08:59 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 10:08 UTC

On 04/01/2024 09:53, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <un5uk7$3jqie$4@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 03/01/2024 13:37, Tim Lamb wrote:
>>> Checking the salt level in our Nuwave MD600 recently, I was surprised
>>> to  find the outer container nearly full of brine! Probably at the
>>> overflow  outlet level.
>>>  Is this normal? I don't remember ever tipping fresh salt tablets
>>> into  water.
>>>
>> no. it is not normal
>> you may have a blocked drain tube.
>>
>>> The handbook explains how to trigger a cycle but does not give a
>>> detailed explanation of the operating sequence.
>>>  Can someone kindly run me through the process?
>>
>> Normally the machine switches the water to bypass mode, runs salty
>> water through the resin, flushing any excess down the drain...
>
> Thanks for that. I suspect an issue with a float valve. Four years since
> the last service so I think a call out affordable.
>
> Poking around the Net, I found this:-
> https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Water_Softener_Operation.php
>
> Underneath a worktop and sandwiched by the tumble drier, I think this is
> a job for a younger body:-)

I thought so too, but no younger body was interested in doing it.

Nightmare to reinstall a new unit, since the old one had been 'built
in'...bruises everywhere and cramps...

--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.”

Thomas Sowell

Re: Water softener operation

<kvnmfmF8j1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=113239&group=uk.d-i-y#113239

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 4 Jan 2024 12:26:30 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 12:26 UTC

On Wed, 03 Jan 2024 13:37:20 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

> Checking the salt level in our Nuwave MD600 recently, I was surprised to
> find the outer container nearly full of brine! Probably at the overflow
> outlet level.
>
> Is this normal? I don't remember ever tipping fresh salt tablets into
> water.
>
> The handbook explains how to trigger a cycle but does not give a
> detailed explanation of the operating sequence.
>
> Can someone kindly run me through the process?

Daughter had an old water softener which was full of water.
WS pronounced dead.

Hopefully yours is something more trivial.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64