We lie loudest when we lie to ourselves. -- Eric Hoffer

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Ask EU: Windows 11

SubjectAuthor
* Ask EU: Windows 11Sid Nuncius
+- Re: Ask EU: Windows 11BrritSki
+* Re: Ask EU: Windows 11Jenny M Benson
|`* Re: Ask EU: Windows 11krw
| `* Re: Ask EU: Windows 11steve hague
|  `- Re: Ask EU: Windows 11BrritSki
+* Re: Ask EU: Windows 11steve hague
|`- Re: Ask EU: Windows 11Sid Nuncius
+- Re: Ask EU: Windows 11Sam Plusnet
`- Re: Ask EU: Windows 11Chris J Dixon

1
Ask EU: Windows 11

<jp7if7Fm6qdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11322&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11322

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Ask EU: Windows 11
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 06:21:43 +0100
 by: Sid Nuncius - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 05:21 UTC

My laptop is giving me the "good news" that I can download and install
Windows 11. Would umrats recommend that I do so? Presumably I'll be
forced to do it eventually, but I'm always cautious and would be glad of
the collective wisdom and experience of umra on the matter.

(ISTR that we were told that Windows 10 was the last update of its kind
and all future updates would be modifications of it. OAM?)

--
Sid

Re: Ask EU: Windows 11

<jp808oFoab2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11325&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11325

From: rtilbury...@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Ask EU: Windows 11
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:17:11 +0100
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 09:17 UTC

On 24/09/2022 06:21, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My laptop is giving me the "good news" that I can download and install
> Windows 11.  Would umrats recommend that I do so?  Presumably I'll be
> forced to do it eventually, but I'm always cautious and would be glad of
> the collective wisdom and experience of umra on the matter.
>
> (ISTR that we were told that Windows 10 was the last update of its kind
> and all future updates would be modifications of it. OAM?)

Indeed !

Waife's computer said the same thing some time ago and we ignored it
without any problems or future reminders.

My computer is somewhat older and Italian and I haven't had an offer I
can refuse.

Re: Ask EU: Windows 11

<jp82ikFokreU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11326&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11326

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:56:35 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 09:56 UTC

On 24/09/2022 06:21, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My laptop is giving me the "good news" that I can download and install
> Windows 11.  Would umrats recommend that I do so?  Presumably I'll be
> forced to do it eventually, but I'm always cautious and would be glad of
> the collective wisdom and experience of umra on the matter.

I'm very happy with Windows 11 - but I was very happy with Windows 10,
too. Just got 11 because I was getting a new computer. After I'd had
it for a few weeks I did go back to my supplier and told him I had just
one question: How long was it going to be before I stopped looking for
the menu in the left corner? As I sometimes have to revert to my laptop
(which is apparently too elderly to cope with the modernity of Win 11)
for a few days, I still have that trouble from time to time.

> (ISTR that we were told that Windows 10 was the last update of its kind
> and all future updates would be modifications of it. OAM?)

After you with the egg whisk.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Ask EU: Windows 11

<tgmkg7$1ftn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11327&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11327

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 11:00:39 +0100
 by: steve hague - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:00 UTC

On 24/09/2022 06:21, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> My laptop is giving me the "good news" that I can download and install
> Windows 11.  Would umrats recommend that I do so?  Presumably I'll be
> forced to do it eventually, but I'm always cautious and would be glad of
> the collective wisdom and experience of umra on the matter.
>
> (ISTR that we were told that Windows 10 was the last update of its kind
> and all future updates would be modifications of it. OAM?)

I have windows 11 on my laptop, and I like it. It's not so different to
W10 that you have to go on a course to learn how to use it, the layout
is slightly different, but even with my reduced number of braincells
these days, I didn't have a problem. It's OK.
Steve

Re: Ask EU: Windows 11

<yGIXK.177751$IRd5.168917@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11341&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11341

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 20:14:37 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 19:14 UTC

On 24/09/2022 06:21, Sid Nuncius wrote:

> (ISTR that we were told that Windows 10 was the last update of its kind
> and all future updates would be modifications of it. OAM?)

File under "640K ought to be enough for anybody."

Re: Ask EU: Windows 11

<jpa4stF3u3gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11343&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11343

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 05:48:28 +0100
 by: Sid Nuncius - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 04:48 UTC

On 24/09/2022 11:00, steve hague wrote:
> On 24/09/2022 06:21, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> My laptop is giving me the "good news" that I can download and install
>> Windows 11.  Would umrats recommend that I do so?  Presumably I'll be
>> forced to do it eventually, but I'm always cautious and would be glad
>> of the collective wisdom and experience of umra on the matter.
>>
>> (ISTR that we were told that Windows 10 was the last update of its
>> kind and all future updates would be modifications of it. OAM?)
>>
> I have windows 11 on my laptop, and I like it. It's not so different to
> W10 that you have to go on a course to learn how to use it, the layout
> is slightly different, but even with my reduced number of braincells
> these days, I didn't have a problem. It's OK.

Thanks to all for the helpful responses, MOPsMOBs. I think I'll do my
usual thing of leaving it for now as there doesn't seem to be any urgent
need and I'm happy with Windows 10. No doubt I'll have to update at
some point, but sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.[1]

[1]Sorry about the KJV, Steve. :o)

--
Sid

Re: Ask EU: Windows 11

<9je0jh90tain98mqjgrs40clg659ibs7ua@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11350&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11350

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:25:51 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 11:25 UTC

Sid Nuncius wrote:

>My laptop is giving me the "good news" that I can download and install
>Windows 11. Would umrats recommend that I do so? Presumably I'll be
>forced to do it eventually, but I'm always cautious and would be glad of
>the collective wisdom and experience of umra on the matter.

I have read that there can be an issue with maintaining the star
ratings you have applied through Media Player. If you don't use
it or them, no problem then,

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Re: Ask EU: Windows 11

<thgtng$1ofl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11577&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11577

From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 10:17:36 +0100
 by: krw - Tue, 4 Oct 2022 09:17 UTC

On 24.9.22 10:56, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> How long was it going to be before I stopped looking for the menu in the
> left corner?

You can set it to work in the left corner if it is important.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Ask EU: Windows 11

<thpl9j$ejg$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11702&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11702

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 17:48:51 +0100
 by: steve hague - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 16:48 UTC

On 04/10/2022 10:17, krw wrote:
> On 24.9.22 10:56, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> How long was it going to be before I stopped looking for the menu in
>> the left corner?
>
> You can set it to work in the left corner if it is important.

I still look for it in the left corner. I find it keeps my mind active.
Steve

Re: Ask EU: Windows 11

<jqb6i1F8n82U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11705&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11705

From: rtilbury...@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 18:39:13 +0100
 by: BrritSki - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 17:39 UTC

On 07/10/2022 17:48, steve hague wrote:
> On 04/10/2022 10:17, krw wrote:
>> On 24.9.22 10:56, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>> How long was it going to be before I stopped looking for the menu in
>>> the left corner?
>>
>> You can set it to work in the left corner if it is important.
>>

> I still look for it in the left corner. I find it keeps my mind active.

I have just taken my at-least-5-yo laptop into a repairers and amongst
other things he said that my Intel i5 7th (I think) generation chip is
not compatible with Win 11. Excellent !

I'd taken it in because it had an intermittent fault, apparently on the
power supply cord/connection to laptop (as jiggling it would fix the
problem - F'r'Us).

As soon as the excellent technician saw it he recoiled "Oooh, that's
dangerous" pointing at a deformation on the trackpad. "That's a swollen
battery that could explode at any minute. You've had a ticking time=bomb
on your lap" (literally, since I sit in my recliner with the laptop sits
on my lap on a cushion with a plank inside the cushion cover).

After some very informative discussion about best chips/RAM/SSD/etc. we
agreed that it would be cheapest to replace the battery and clean it all
up for £200 as it is quite a high-spec machine that is otherwose still
running well.

But as I'm driving home he called me to say that in fact there was
actually an intermittent fault on the screen backlight and that
replacing that as well would be another £80 at least, so I decided not
to go ahead at all. "OK, I'll remove the battery though to make it safe".

When I picked it up, he had indeed done that and didn't charge me, but
had found there WAS a fault on the power supply as I'd thought, so the
only thing he'd charged me for was a new PS. Bargain. Haven't seen the
screen blacking out since, so we'll keep running it until something more
terminal affects it...