Your mileage may vary.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: When (and if) to move a fig tree

SubjectAuthor
* When (and if) to move a fig treeChris Green
+* Re: When (and if) to move a fig treeJeff Layman
|+- Re: When (and if) to move a fig treeNick Maclaren
|`* Re: When (and if) to move a fig treeMartin Brown
| `* Re: When (and if) to move a fig treeDavid
|  `- Re: When (and if) to move a fig treeMartin Brown
`* Re: When (and if) to move a fig treeDavid
 `* Re: When (and if) to move a fig treeDavid Hill
  `- Re: When (and if) to move a fig treeDavid

1
When (and if) to move a fig tree

<ql78rh-ko1a1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1112&group=uk.rec.gardening#1112

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: When (and if) to move a fig tree
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 09:21:46 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 08:21 UTC

We have a fig tree that is currently in a vary large (2ft high, 2ft
diameter, maybe even a bit more) pot sitting on an east facing patio.

It produced a few figs last year and has some coming along this year
too.

We're thinking of moving it into the ground so:-

Is this a good idea or are fig trees happier in pots?

If we move it when should we move it?

What's a good place to move it to?

Space isn't really an issue for us, we have a 9 acre smallholding. An
obvious (to us) place to put it would be round the corner from where
it is now to a south facing wall of the house. There used to be
chickens there but we've moved them so the wall is sort of vacant.
Are fig trees OK near houses (size, roots, etc.)?

I'd guess the 'right' time to move it is autumn/winter when it's
quiescent, is this right?

Oh, we're in South Suffolk quite near the coast (not near enough to be
salty though) and our land is very sandy.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: When (and if) to move a fig tree

<sbs1fm$dj9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1113&group=uk.rec.gardening#1113

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: When (and if) to move a fig tree
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 11:11:01 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 10:11 UTC

On 04/07/2021 09:21, Chris Green wrote:
> We have a fig tree that is currently in a vary large (2ft high, 2ft
> diameter, maybe even a bit more) pot sitting on an east facing patio.
>
> It produced a few figs last year and has some coming along this year
> too.
>
> We're thinking of moving it into the ground so:-
>
> Is this a good idea or are fig trees happier in pots?
>
> If we move it when should we move it?
>
> What's a good place to move it to?
>

> Space isn't really an issue for us, we have a 9 acre smallholding. An
> obvious (to us) place to put it would be round the corner from where
> it is now to a south facing wall of the house. There used to be
> chickens there but we've moved them so the wall is sort of vacant.
> Are fig trees OK near houses (size, roots, etc.)?
>
> I'd guess the 'right' time to move it is autumn/winter when it's
> quiescent, is this right?
>
> Oh, we're in South Suffolk quite near the coast (not near enough to be
> salty though) and our land is very sandy.

Figs should do well on a south-facing wall, but it is said that their
roots need to be restricted to stop the plants running everywhere. Dig a
hole a couple of feet deep and wide, and line it with thick plastic or
corrugated iron. Overlap the edges. As the fig is in a pot, you should
be able to move it into the hole without problem anytime convenient. In
heavier soil, the recommendation is to put some rubble (broken brick,
etc) at the bottom of the hole to assist drainage, but as you're on
sandy soil that shouldn't be necessary.

I have a 'Brown Turkey' fig in an 18" x 15" pot in a warm south-east
facing corner. I've always been a bit disappointed in its performance,
as we rarely get more than a handful of edible figs in a year. It
produces quite a few, but most never seem to ripen, even after thinning
and pinching out the leaf tip past the figs.

--

Jeff

Re: When (and if) to move a fig tree

<ikdpk1FhlntU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1114&group=uk.rec.gardening#1114

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 4 Jul 2021 12:58:41 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 12:58 UTC

On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 09:21:46 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

> We have a fig tree that is currently in a vary large (2ft high, 2ft
> diameter, maybe even a bit more) pot sitting on an east facing patio.
>
> It produced a few figs last year and has some coming along this year
> too.
>
> We're thinking of moving it into the ground so:-
>
> Is this a good idea or are fig trees happier in pots?
>
> If we move it when should we move it?
>
> What's a good place to move it to?
>

> Space isn't really an issue for us, we have a 9 acre smallholding. An
> obvious (to us) place to put it would be round the corner from where it
> is now to a south facing wall of the house. There used to be chickens
> there but we've moved them so the wall is sort of vacant. Are fig trees
> OK near houses (size, roots, etc.)?
>
> I'd guess the 'right' time to move it is autumn/winter when it's
> quiescent, is this right?
>
> Oh, we're in South Suffolk quite near the coast (not near enough to be
> salty though) and our land is very sandy.

There are several fig trees outside in the ground near us in South
Suffolk, all of which grow large but also sem to crop quite heavily.

I understand the logic of constraining the roots to make the tree
concentrate on fruit and not growth, but this may now be out of date,
given the warmer climate.

I doubt many fig trees around the Med are root constrained (but I may be
wrong - could just be in poor soil like a lot of grape vines).

We have a Brown Turkey in an Ali Baba pot which we have had for over 20
years. This crops each year with a small crop, and a couple of times has
produced an even smaller second crop.

It is very neglected, and I plan to plant it out once the new garden
design is in place (which keeps getting delayed).
Or even move to a larger pot.

As others have said, move it when dormant.
South facing wall is probably yhe best place for it.

Personally, if you have the space I would just let it rip and be prepared
for more fruit than you get now even if the "crop per branch" is lower.

Oh, and I keep meaning to "air layer" a branch to get a cutting before I
attempt anything drastic.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)

Re: When (and if) to move a fig tree

<sbsfpg$hs1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1115&group=uk.rec.gardening#1115

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 14:15:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Sun, 4 Jul 2021 14:15 UTC

In article <sbs1fm$dj9$1@dont-email.me>,
Jeff Layman <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Figs should do well on a south-facing wall, but it is said that their
>roots need to be restricted to stop the plants running everywhere. Dig a
>hole a couple of feet deep and wide, and line it with thick plastic or
>corrugated iron. Overlap the edges. As the fig is in a pot, you should
>be able to move it into the hole without problem anytime convenient. In
>heavier soil, the recommendation is to put some rubble (broken brick,
>etc) at the bottom of the hole to assist drainage, but as you're on
>sandy soil that shouldn't be necessary.

You need to ensure that the plastic or whatever does not hold water,
or waterlogging may kill it. A large root restraining bag would be
better.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: When (and if) to move a fig tree

<sbvibf$133b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1117&group=uk.rec.gardening#1117

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 19:17:21 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 18:17 UTC

On 04/07/2021 11:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 04/07/2021 09:21, Chris Green wrote:
>> We have a fig tree that is currently in a vary large (2ft high, 2ft
>> diameter, maybe even a bit more) pot sitting on an east facing patio.
>>
>> It produced a few figs last year and has some coming along this year
>> too.
>>
>> We're thinking of moving it into the ground so:-
>>
>>      Is this a good idea or are fig trees happier in pots?
>>
>>      If we move it when should we move it?
>>
>>      What's a good place to move it to?
>>

>> Space isn't really an issue for us, we have a 9 acre smallholding.  An
>> obvious (to us) place to put it would be round the corner from where
>> it is now to a south facing wall of the house.  There used to be
>> chickens there but we've moved them so the wall is sort of vacant.
>> Are fig trees OK near houses (size, roots, etc.)?
>>
>> I'd guess the 'right' time to move it is autumn/winter when it's
>> quiescent, is this right?
>>
>> Oh, we're in South Suffolk quite near the coast (not near enough to be
>> salty though) and our land is very sandy.
>
> Figs should do well on a south-facing wall, but it is said that their
> roots need to be restricted to stop the plants running everywhere. Dig a
> hole a couple of feet deep and wide, and line it with thick plastic or
> corrugated iron. Overlap the edges. As the fig is in a pot, you should
> be able to move it into the hole without problem anytime convenient. In
> heavier soil, the recommendation is to put some rubble (broken brick,
> etc) at the bottom of the hole to assist drainage, but as you're on
> sandy soil that shouldn't be necessary.

I seem to have a dud. It has never set fruit for me in North Yorkshire
and yet I have seem much smaller plants with good fruit on. It is
treated according to the rules but repays by basically aborting fruit.

> I have a 'Brown Turkey' fig in an 18" x 15" pot in a warm south-east
> facing corner. I've always been a bit disappointed in its performance,
> as we rarely get more than a handful of edible figs in a year. It
> produces quite a few, but most never seem to ripen, even after thinning
> and pinching out the leaf tip past the figs.

I have had the odd fig on it but nothing approaching maturity. I guess
it is one of the things that I just cannot grow here.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: When (and if) to move a fig tree

<ikha3aFk08rU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1118&group=uk.rec.gardening#1118

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 5 Jul 2021 20:58:18 GMT
 by: David - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 20:58 UTC

On Mon, 05 Jul 2021 19:17:21 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

> On 04/07/2021 11:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> On 04/07/2021 09:21, Chris Green wrote:
>>> We have a fig tree that is currently in a vary large (2ft high, 2ft
>>> diameter, maybe even a bit more) pot sitting on an east facing patio.
>>>
>>> It produced a few figs last year and has some coming along this year
>>> too.
>>>
>>> We're thinking of moving it into the ground so:-
>>>
>>>      Is this a good idea or are fig trees happier in pots?
>>>
>>>      If we move it when should we move it?
>>>
>>>      What's a good place to move it to?
>>>

>>> Space isn't really an issue for us, we have a 9 acre smallholding.  An
>>> obvious (to us) place to put it would be round the corner from where
>>> it is now to a south facing wall of the house.  There used to be
>>> chickens there but we've moved them so the wall is sort of vacant.
>>> Are fig trees OK near houses (size, roots, etc.)?
>>>
>>> I'd guess the 'right' time to move it is autumn/winter when it's
>>> quiescent, is this right?
>>>
>>> Oh, we're in South Suffolk quite near the coast (not near enough to be
>>> salty though) and our land is very sandy.
>>
>> Figs should do well on a south-facing wall, but it is said that their
>> roots need to be restricted to stop the plants running everywhere. Dig
>> a hole a couple of feet deep and wide, and line it with thick plastic
>> or corrugated iron. Overlap the edges. As the fig is in a pot, you
>> should be able to move it into the hole without problem anytime
>> convenient. In heavier soil, the recommendation is to put some rubble
>> (broken brick, etc) at the bottom of the hole to assist drainage, but
>> as you're on sandy soil that shouldn't be necessary.
>
> I seem to have a dud. It has never set fruit for me in North Yorkshire
> and yet I have seem much smaller plants with good fruit on. It is
> treated according to the rules but repays by basically aborting fruit.
>>
>> I have a 'Brown Turkey' fig in an 18" x 15" pot in a warm south-east
>> facing corner. I've always been a bit disappointed in its performance,
>> as we rarely get more than a handful of edible figs in a year. It
>> produces quite a few, but most never seem to ripen, even after thinning
>> and pinching out the leaf tip past the figs.
>
> I have had the odd fig on it but nothing approaching maturity. I guess
> it is one of the things that I just cannot grow here.

Just doub,e checking that you have a self fertile variety such as Brown
Turkey.

Neighbour was gifted a fig tree from the Med which it turns out required a
wasp to fertilise it.

Nover going to produce mature fruit as the wasp doesn't exist in the UK.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)

Re: When (and if) to move a fig tree

<iklqsnFfu0iU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1123&group=uk.rec.gardening#1123

From: dav...@abacus-nurseries.co.uk (David Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 15:09:26 +0100
 by: David Hill - Wed, 7 Jul 2021 14:09 UTC

On 04/07/2021 13:58, David wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 09:21:46 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>
>> We have a fig tree that is currently in a vary large (2ft high, 2ft
>> diameter, maybe even a bit more) pot sitting on an east facing patio.
>>
>> It produced a few figs last year and has some coming along this year
>> too.
>>
>> We're thinking of moving it into the ground so:-
>>
>> Is this a good idea or are fig trees happier in pots?
>>
>> If we move it when should we move it?
>>
>> What's a good place to move it to?
>>

>> Space isn't really an issue for us, we have a 9 acre smallholding. An
>> obvious (to us) place to put it would be round the corner from where it
>> is now to a south facing wall of the house. There used to be chickens
>> there but we've moved them so the wall is sort of vacant. Are fig trees
>> OK near houses (size, roots, etc.)?
>>
>> I'd guess the 'right' time to move it is autumn/winter when it's
>> quiescent, is this right?
>>
>> Oh, we're in South Suffolk quite near the coast (not near enough to be
>> salty though) and our land is very sandy.
>
> There are several fig trees outside in the ground near us in South
> Suffolk, all of which grow large but also sem to crop quite heavily.
>
> I understand the logic of constraining the roots to make the tree
> concentrate on fruit and not growth, but this may now be out of date,
> given the warmer climate.
>
> I doubt many fig trees around the Med are root constrained (but I may be
> wrong - could just be in poor soil like a lot of grape vines).
>
> We have a Brown Turkey in an Ali Baba pot which we have had for over 20
> years. This crops each year with a small crop, and a couple of times has
> produced an even smaller second crop.
>
> It is very neglected, and I plan to plant it out once the new garden
> design is in place (which keeps getting delayed).
> Or even move to a larger pot.
>
> As others have said, move it when dormant.
> South facing wall is probably yhe best place for it.
>
> Personally, if you have the space I would just let it rip and be prepared
> for more fruit than you get now even if the "crop per branch" is lower.
>
> Oh, and I keep meaning to "air layer" a branch to get a cutting before I
> attempt anything drastic.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

In a similar vein
Could you / should you prune a fig?

Re: When (and if) to move a fig tree

<ikqevpFcf25U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1128&group=uk.rec.gardening#1128

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 9 Jul 2021 08:16:57 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 08:16 UTC

On Wed, 07 Jul 2021 15:09:26 +0100, David Hill wrote:

> On 04/07/2021 13:58, David wrote:
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 09:21:46 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>>
>>> We have a fig tree that is currently in a vary large (2ft high, 2ft
>>> diameter, maybe even a bit more) pot sitting on an east facing patio.
>>>
>>> It produced a few figs last year and has some coming along this year
>>> too.
>>>
>>> We're thinking of moving it into the ground so:-
>>>
>>> Is this a good idea or are fig trees happier in pots?
>>>
>>> If we move it when should we move it?
>>>
>>> What's a good place to move it to?
>>>

>>> Space isn't really an issue for us, we have a 9 acre smallholding. An
>>> obvious (to us) place to put it would be round the corner from where
>>> it is now to a south facing wall of the house. There used to be
>>> chickens there but we've moved them so the wall is sort of vacant. Are
>>> fig trees OK near houses (size, roots, etc.)?
>>>
>>> I'd guess the 'right' time to move it is autumn/winter when it's
>>> quiescent, is this right?
>>>
>>> Oh, we're in South Suffolk quite near the coast (not near enough to be
>>> salty though) and our land is very sandy.
>>
>> There are several fig trees outside in the ground near us in South
>> Suffolk, all of which grow large but also sem to crop quite heavily.
>>
>> I understand the logic of constraining the roots to make the tree
>> concentrate on fruit and not growth, but this may now be out of date,
>> given the warmer climate.
>>
>> I doubt many fig trees around the Med are root constrained (but I may
>> be wrong - could just be in poor soil like a lot of grape vines).
>>
>> We have a Brown Turkey in an Ali Baba pot which we have had for over 20
>> years. This crops each year with a small crop, and a couple of times
>> has produced an even smaller second crop.
>>
>> It is very neglected, and I plan to plant it out once the new garden
>> design is in place (which keeps getting delayed).
>> Or even move to a larger pot.
>>
>> As others have said, move it when dormant.
>> South facing wall is probably yhe best place for it.
>>
>> Personally, if you have the space I would just let it rip and be
>> prepared for more fruit than you get now even if the "crop per branch"
>> is lower.
>>
>> Oh, and I keep meaning to "air layer" a branch to get a cutting before
>> I attempt anything drastic.
>>

> In a similar vein Could you / should you prune a fig?

Interesting one.

I've seen free growing figs locally pruned back when they get out of
control, with no obvious detriment.

Our much put upon pot grown fig occasionally has die back from a tip which
is pruned out.

I sort of recall pruning when it was younger and more vigorous (a bit like
myself).

Noting that air layering will involve pruning of the rooted shoot.

Uninformed opinion; can't see any reason not to apart from cutting out too
many branch tips where the fruit forms.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)

Re: When (and if) to move a fig tree

<sce8ck$s7k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1133&group=uk.rec.gardening#1133

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 08:59:16 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 07:59 UTC

On 05/07/2021 21:58, David wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2021 19:17:21 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

>>> Figs should do well on a south-facing wall, but it is said that their
>>> roots need to be restricted to stop the plants running everywhere. Dig
>>> a hole a couple of feet deep and wide, and line it with thick plastic
>>> or corrugated iron. Overlap the edges. As the fig is in a pot, you
>>> should be able to move it into the hole without problem anytime
>>> convenient. In heavier soil, the recommendation is to put some rubble
>>> (broken brick, etc) at the bottom of the hole to assist drainage, but
>>> as you're on sandy soil that shouldn't be necessary.
>>
>> I seem to have a dud. It has never set fruit for me in North Yorkshire
>> and yet I have seem much smaller plants with good fruit on. It is
>> treated according to the rules but repays by basically aborting fruit.
>>>
>>> I have a 'Brown Turkey' fig in an 18" x 15" pot in a warm south-east
>>> facing corner. I've always been a bit disappointed in its performance,
>>> as we rarely get more than a handful of edible figs in a year. It
>>> produces quite a few, but most never seem to ripen, even after thinning
>>> and pinching out the leaf tip past the figs.
>>
>> I have had the odd fig on it but nothing approaching maturity. I guess
>> it is one of the things that I just cannot grow here.
>
> Just doub,e checking that you have a self fertile variety such as Brown
> Turkey.

It was sold to me as Brown Turkey from a reputable supplier. The other
fruit trees from them were all fine. It seldom gets as far as buds or
proto fruit most years so fertilisation isn't the issue so much as sheer
refusal to produce any buds. Someone suggested I should break off a
sucker and try again or simply junk it and start again from scratch.

> Neighbour was gifted a fig tree from the Med which it turns out required a
> wasp to fertilise it.
>
> Nover going to produce mature fruit as the wasp doesn't exist in the UK.

It just never seems to do very much at all. Lacking vigour it just sulks
and gets a little bit bigger in all directions every year.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown