Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Illegal Lockdown Party Play Want Bin (PWBE 24 Jan 2022)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 02:00:12 -0600
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 08:00 UTC

Nobody told me this wasn't a work function.

Play:
--=--

Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch) - Thirty hours? How did that happen? I've
uncovered the secret of why Tokyo looks like a ruined distop-yo, and it's
not quite the same end-of-the-world apocalypse that's been depicted in
previous SMT games. It's clever and interesting and blasphemous in just
the right proportions to make me want to see how this particular story
ends. I'm glad that they rereleased SMT III for everybody to experience
again, because it's clear that the biggest leap forward here is in the
narrative creativity. All of the other JRPG nonsense is still fun, but
it's clearly also just a medium through which the story is being
delivered. And that's my favourite way to enjoy these games.

Hydro Thunder and San Francisco Rush 2049 and Super Runabout and Phantasy
Star Online (DC) - What I mean is my son played these and wouldn't let me
wander away because he always needed help to play them wrong. Super
Runabout was a particularly entertaining choice because all he was
interested in doing was driving about causing property damage, which is
hilarious because you can keep doing that even after the timer has run out
and you're essentially going to fail the starting mission.

Phantom Dust (XSX) - I think this is a Bone release? I'm marking it as a
Sexbox game because that's where I played it. I was a little disappointed
to discover that it's essentially the original Xbox game of 20 years ago,
just with extra multiplayer nailed to the side of it that's compatible
with the current Microsoft network offering. Hilariously, none of the
online documentation works anymore because all of the websites no longer
exist.

Want:
--=--

Not an Xbox Series X (XSX) - So I bought one. No idea why. I think I might
be future-proofing myself against not being able to play Elder Scrolls
games, now that Microsoft is all but guaranteed to make them platform
exclusives going forward? That's hardly worth $500 and change.

No Xbox Series X games (XSX) - In between debilitating manual labour
activities I tried to shop for Series X games at regular retail and could
find nothing I wanted. So I spent the weekend installing every last 360
and OG Xbox game I had lying around. Some look fantastic on the new
hardware, while others are barely worth seeing. I'll have more to say
about individual titles if there's a podcast this week.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $102

Black College Football Xperience: Doug Williams Edition (360) - $10
Xbox Series X (XSX) - $500

Total to date - $612

-KKC, who almost forgot to list the stupid hardware purchase.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @

Re: Illegal Lockdown Party Play Want Bin (PWBE 24 Jan 2022)

<Z5BHJ.528858$tX27.194348@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1132&group=uk.games.video.misc#1132

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 17:12:25 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 17:12 UTC

> Play:

Dr. Mario & Puzzle League (GBA) - PL again. I think I'm mostly
preferring this to SNES TA now, despite the rather flat presentation
and the lack of any structure to the vs. mode.

Tetris Attack (SNES) - finished on very hard with no continues. This
NTSC version always stubbornly seemed to get a continue or two off me
before.

NBA Jam (MD) - a few games on this. I feel like this version doesn't
rubber-band the difficulty quite so hard as others - the arcade game
in particular was infamous for this, and the SNES version was also
quite bad in this respect IIRC.

> Hilariously, none of the online documentation works anymore because
> all of the websites no longer exist.

On a related-ish note, one thing I've noticed in my ongoing adventure
of learning JavaScript (an obscure new language that might be huge
someday, mark my words) is that any concept of longevity on the web is
basically dead. "Recent" means last Tuesday, and any feature a few
years old has always existed. So much so that the standard way of just
barely tolerating "old" browsers is to essentially bodge in analogues
of newer features, making those browsers even slower. Nice.

> Want:

Nothing.

> Bin:

MS buying Activision. More from just finding it theoretically
annoying, than it causing me any obvious problems in practice.

-Rus.

Re: Illegal Lockdown Party Play Want Bin (PWBE 24 Jan 2022)

<jvidnapnYJcTbXP8nZ2dnUU7-X2dnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1133&group=uk.games.video.misc#1133

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 12:31:42 -0600
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 18:31 UTC

In article <Z5BHJ.528858$tX27.194348@usenetxs.com>,
Russell Marks <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
>Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>
>> Play:
>
>NBA Jam (MD) - a few games on this. I feel like this version doesn't
>rubber-band the difficulty quite so hard as others - the arcade game
>in particular was infamous for this, and the SNES version was also
>quite bad in this respect IIRC.

Anecdotally, it's always been my impression that the Megadrive version of
NBA Jam (and by extension the multiple Mega CD versions) are the most fun
to play and least annoying. I think I own the game five times over in its
various Sega incarnations. It's sort of terrible now how all of the Midway
properties have had their graves robbed, or worse just been plain
neglected all this time.

>> Bin:
>
>MS buying Activision. More from just finding it theoretically
>annoying, than it causing me any obvious problems in practice.

Stephanie Sterling did a pretty good analysis of it in her Youtube show.
Essentially consolidation is inevitable and reduces innovation and
availability, as well as putting game preservation at risk as everything
moves to subscription or online-only publishing. It'll be interesting for
us people pushing 50 to be the last generation of game collectors because
the younger people will have nothing they can actually collect.

-KKC, who didn't get enough sleep and is dragging a bit today.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @
don't trust anyone. You're used to getting smacked around, | io-nyc
and you never get homesick." - Michael Westen, /Burn Notice/ | .com

Re: Illegal Lockdown Party Play Want Bin (PWBE 24 Jan 2022)

<RvcIJ.264670$iqXb.50697@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1134&group=uk.games.video.misc#1134

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 14:02:25 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 14:02 UTC

> It'll be interesting for us people pushing 50 to be the last
> generation of game collectors because the younger people will have
> nothing they can actually collect.

They'll be able to collect both the ones and the zeroes! As long as
they don't try to put them on Google Drive in a text file, apparently.

-Rus.