Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Troop Build-up Play Want Bin (PWBE 7 Feb 2022)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 18:41:09 -0600
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 00:41 UTC

So can everybody refrain from holding any parades or signing any treaties
for the next couple of weeks please? Also, maybe don't travel to any part
of Eastern Europe for a while.

Play:
--=--

Shin Megami Tensei V (Switch) - Sixty hours. Whee. I'm actually having a
lot of fun with this, and I've figured out that the game is designed in a
way to present many options so that you never get tired of any one part
of it. I'm sort of burnt out on hard boss fights right now, so I've got
some exploration and gathering quests lined up that I can enjoy (and that
provide obvious opportunities to level up) so that I can come on back to
the main story when I'm good and ready. I've been reading about how
there's an SMT fan community that's really vocally critical of the game,
and I can't begin to tell you how unmotivated I am to research the fine
details of that particular issue. I'm enjoying myself and I find it hard
to swallow that *not* being part of an organised fanbase means that my
enjoyment is both legitimate and unsullied by any kind of bizarre
negativity.

Farming Simulator 19: Platinum Edition (PS4) - What a thoroughly
ridiculous thing to play. I did some tutorial content and it's the sort of
thing almost feels like a parody of the medium. Dragging your tractor
cultivator back and forth across a field until all the soil is turned over
is *just* enough of a slog that you could easily compare it to clearing
all of the mission checkpoints on an Ubisoft map or mowing down all of the
spawning enemies in an FPS area.

Want:
--=--

The Procession to Calvary (Switch/PS4) - Maybe? Red Art has this up for
sale as a disc and/or cart but I don't generally enjoy point-and-click
text adventures for various reasons. I love the concept and the broad
strokes of the story, but I just don't know if I love it enough to own the
actual game for an actual system.

Bin:
-==-

Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis (XBO/XSX) - Nope. I really don't want
to play through the stupid eight-hour tutorial again. The old PSO games
did a fine job of giving you all the mechanics and the rules in one go,
and then let you loose to learn how to play just by, you know, playing.
PSO2 gets this wrong in such a theatrical and over-the-top way that I
wonder if any of the designers have ever actually played a game before, or
if they're just copying MMO methods without understanding what actually
makes them go. I am still not having any fun and I wish desperately this
game is closer to what I expected from it ten years ago.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $612

Farming Simulator 19: Platinum Edition (PS4) - $15

Total to date - $627

-KKC, who needs more sleep.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @

Re: Troop Build-up Play Want Bin (PWBE 7 Feb 2022)

<j6cri5FgopsU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1138&group=uk.games.video.misc#1138

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Troop Build-up Play Want Bin (PWBE 7 Feb 2022)
Date: 7 Feb 2022 15:18:29 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 15:18 UTC

On 7 Feb 2022 at 00:41:09 GMT, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> So can everybody refrain from holding any parades or signing any treaties
> for the next couple of weeks please? Also, maybe don't travel to any part
> of Eastern Europe for a while.

I'll do my part by sitting at home.

> Play:
> --=--

Vampire Survivor (PC) - a little Robotronlike with terrible graphics and
poor sound but with *just* the right damage curves to make it awfully
fun. It's a one-stick autoshooter, with enough weaponry (all upgradeable
through levelups and pickups) to make it tactically interesting to
choose different builds. I say choose, but it's RNG drops of three
choices, pick one, but you have 12 slots to fill with weapons, buffs and
passives so you can usually manage a good defence and a great offence
out of the available rewards. It's early access, and in 10 hours play I
may have gleaned most of the good stuff out of the current version. A
session lasts from start (maybe two enemies on screen crawling towards
you, you have one attack every two seconds) building up to your death,
ending at 30 minutes (entire screen full of overlapping jostling hordes
being kept at bay by the sheer might of your hundreds of attacks per
second and various support artillery). My current record is 30m and ten
seconds.

Sea of Thieves (Xbox) - with various people, 2-4 players. Relaxing fun
with occasional battles with skeletons. A pleasant way to pass an
evening.

Upgrade dances: Neither MS nor Nintendo do themselves any favours. As
long as you move to a new machine by logging into it and downloading
your games, all will be well. Any form of cleverness or complexity - on
the Switch by needing to port your Animal Crossing island, or on the
Xbox by being seduced into trying the easy app-based configurator and
the xbox-to-new-xbox direct games transfer mechanism, are doomed to be
awful. Eschew them completely in the Xbox' case, and consider strongly
whether it wouldn't be nicer to just start a new island in AC to avoid
extreme aggravation.

> Want:
> --=--

Rather fancy Guardians of the Galaxy and the soon-to-be Lego game
Skywalker Saga. But not enough to purchase them at more than £20.

> Bin:
> -==-

MS trying to be helpful
Nintendo's inability to be helpful or even sensible

> Expenditure:
> -----=-----

Bought a Series X and a Switch OLED so I'm definitely not doing a
running total this year.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
"But people have always eaten people!
What else is there to eat?

Re: Troop Build-up Play Want Bin (PWBE 7 Feb 2022)

<xghMJ.404291$Xi4f.355210@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1139&group=uk.games.video.misc#1139

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 22:43:41 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 22:43 UTC

> Play:

Crazy Taxi (DC) - with definitely no Pi 400 involvement at all.
Obviously. I did quite amazingly badly on this, no doubt partly due to
finding the controls unusual for some inadequately-explored reason.
Luckily I did have the good sense (under the circumstances) to play it
using the blasphemous 10-minutes option rather than arcade mode.

Soul Calibur (DC) - the graphics were so impressive on this at the
time, but... well they're still not bad I suppose. Unlike my
fighting-game skills, which are just laughable at this point.

Outrun 2006 (PSP) - more of this. Any scurrilous rumours that I played
an entire game without doing a single successful drift due to pressing
the wrong button to brake are, of course, entirely unfounded.

NBA Jam (MD) - just a quick go this time.

> Want:

Nothing.

> Bin:

Dreamcast emulation on the Pi 400 being really close to being good,
but having enough issues to sort of not quite be properly usable yet.
Apparently.

-Rus.