From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: W10 - do some things only work when you are logged into a MS
account?
Date: 2 Jul 2021 10:04:31 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 10:04 UTC

Having given up trying to get GPS to work on W10 and W8.1 (works fine on
W7) I was reading that to install W11 (if your PC supports it) you need to
be logged into a MS account.

Now for reasons of paranoia and ancient ingrained habit I've always run my
PCs using local accounts and not one or more MS accounts.

I'm just wondering if there is anything in general which only works, or
works differently, if you are on a local account as opposed to a MS
account.

Grasping at straws, but it would explain why my problems could not be
replicated by the supplier.

[Side note, the GPS unit works and can be accessed by dedicated software,
but is not recognised by Windows and made available to e.g. Google Maps by
the OS. I have been through the settings a good few times with support for
the GPS device and can't find anything wrong.]

I'm away from home base at the moment, so don't want to test until I get
back and can use more than one PC, but having had the thought I thought I
would throw it out for comment.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)

Re: W10 - do some things only work when you are logged into a MS account?

<ik88obFr05nU3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1145&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1145

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
account?
Date: 2 Jul 2021 10:40:11 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 10:40 UTC

On Fri, 02 Jul 2021 10:04:31 +0000, David wrote:

> Having given up trying to get GPS to work on W10 and W8.1 (works fine on
> W7) I was reading that to install W11 (if your PC supports it) you need
> to be logged into a MS account.
>
> Now for reasons of paranoia and ancient ingrained habit I've always run
> my PCs using local accounts and not one or more MS accounts.
>
> I'm just wondering if there is anything in general which only works, or
> works differently, if you are on a local account as opposed to a MS
> account.
>
> Grasping at straws, but it would explain why my problems could not be
> replicated by the supplier.
>
> [Side note, the GPS unit works and can be accessed by dedicated
> software, but is not recognised by Windows and made available to e.g.
> Google Maps by the OS. I have been through the settings a good few times
> with support for the GPS device and can't find anything wrong.]
>
> I'm away from home base at the moment, so don't want to test until I get
> back and can use more than one PC, but having had the thought I thought
> I would throw it out for comment.

Errrr.........

Just tried it again and it is working!

I have no idea why but best not complain, eh?

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)