We were so poor that we thought new clothes meant someone had died.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.

SubjectAuthor
* Lending garden tools to neighbours.Primrose
+* Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.Chris Hogg
|`- Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.Vir Campestris
+- Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.Bob Hobden
+- Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.David Rance
`* Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.Another John
 +* Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.Andy Burns
 |`- Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.Martin Brown
 `- Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.Primrose

1
Lending garden tools to neighbours.

<sc9jc5$18io$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1129&group=uk.rec.gardening#1129

From: me...@flowers.net (Primrose)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Lending garden tools to neighbours.
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 14:36:04 +0100
 by: Primrose - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 13:36 UTC

While I was out the front trimming my privets last Sunday with my
re-chargeable trimmer, the neighbours' son said that when I had finished
could he have the trimmer to do his mother's hedges. No please or thank
you! (Mother's hedges are nearly 20ft tall, it would need a chainsaw to
tackle them).

Alarms bells ringing as the last time I lent him my nearly new brush it
came back covered in gloss paint.

So I told him that I couldn't lend him the trimmer as if he injured
himself with it he could sue me for personal injury. Not sure if this
is the truth but I wanted to put him off. I know ladders can be an issue.

He left in a huff, I don't think that I was being mean.

Do you lend your garden tools to neighbours?
--
I'm a sew and sow!

Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.

<f5ogegdgbsmkv18quouketabpld13q86a4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1130&group=uk.rec.gardening#1130

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 15:58:58 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 14:58 UTC

On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 14:36:04 +0100, Primrose <me@flowers.net> wrote:

>While I was out the front trimming my privets last Sunday with my
>re-chargeable trimmer, the neighbours' son said that when I had finished
>could he have the trimmer to do his mother's hedges. No please or thank
>you! (Mother's hedges are nearly 20ft tall, it would need a chainsaw to
>tackle them).
>
>Alarms bells ringing as the last time I lent him my nearly new brush it
>came back covered in gloss paint.
>
>So I told him that I couldn't lend him the trimmer as if he injured
>himself with it he could sue me for personal injury. Not sure if this
>is the truth but I wanted to put him off. I know ladders can be an issue.
>
>He left in a huff, I don't think that I was being mean.
>
>Do you lend your garden tools to neighbours?

Never! I must remember that excuse - sounds good to me, if not
actually true (it might be if you charged them money, but even then,
you would have no control over how they used it so probably couldn't
be held responsible for any injuries etc.) If my neighbour wants to
borrow something, I'd rather go round there and do it for them than
lend them one of my tools for them to ruin! Mind you, my neighbours on
both sides are elderly (more elderly than me, that is!), so offers to
do it for them are usually welcomed.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.

<sc9t9d$lqo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1131&group=uk.rec.gardening#1131

From: bob-hob...@yahoo.com (Bob Hobden)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 17:25:15 +0100
 by: Bob Hobden - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 16:25 UTC

On 9 Jul 2021 14:36, Primrose wrote:
> While I was out the front trimming my privets last Sunday with my
> re-chargeable trimmer, the neighbours' son said that when I had finished
> could he have the trimmer to do his mother's hedges. No please or thank
> you! (Mother's hedges are nearly 20ft tall, it would need a chainsaw to
> tackle them).
>
> Alarms bells ringing as the last time I lent him my nearly new brush it
> came back covered in gloss paint.
>
> So I told him that I couldn't lend him the trimmer as if he injured
> himself with it he could sue me for personal injury. Not sure if this
> is the truth but I wanted to put him off. I know ladders can be an issue.
>
> He left in a huff, I don't think that I was being mean.
>
> Do you lend your garden tools to neighbours?

NO. gave up lending tools to anyone years ago, too many expensive tools
came back (eventually) totally ruined and only fit for the dump leaving
me to buy new again. I pay twice but they never pay.

--
Regards.
Bob Hobden

Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.

<yVpsjnLmsL6gFwcF@david.rance.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1132&group=uk.rec.gardening#1132

From: david.ra...@SPAMOFF.invalid (David Rance)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 22:09:58 +0100
 by: David Rance - Fri, 9 Jul 2021 21:09 UTC

On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 14:36:04 Primrose wrote:

>While I was out the front trimming my privets last Sunday with my
>re-chargeable trimmer, the neighbours' son said that when I had
>finished could he have the trimmer to do his mother's hedges. No please
>or thank you! (Mother's hedges are nearly 20ft tall, it would need a
>chainsaw to tackle them).
>
>Alarms bells ringing as the last time I lent him my nearly new brush it
>came back covered in gloss paint.
>
>Do you lend your garden tools to neighbours?

Certainly not! Fortunately my neighbours don't ask to borrow my tools.

David

Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.

<scfipk$o09$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1136&group=uk.rec.gardening#1136

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 21:02:59 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 20:02 UTC

On 09/07/2021 15:58, Chris Hogg wrote:
> Never! I must remember that excuse - sounds good to me, if not
> actually true (it might be if you charged them money, but even then,
> you would have no control over how they used it so probably couldn't
> be held responsible for any injuries etc.) If my neighbour wants to
> borrow something, I'd rather go round there and do it for them than
> lend them one of my tools for them to ruin! Mind you, my neighbours on
> both sides are elderly (more elderly than me, that is!), so offers to
> do it for them are usually welcomed.

Last time I borrowed a garden tool it was next door's shredder.

I found it wasn't all that efficient, especially for green stuff - OK on
the thicker bits.

It turned out it works with a blade against a sacrificial aluminium
plate, which had indeed been sacrificed... I asked how much the new one
was, but he refused payment.

I wouldn't lend power tools. I might offer to help - but a 20ft high
hedge is step (ladder?) too far.

The last thing I lent was a step ladder as it happens. Mine has
stabiliser legs which are a PITA in the house and a godsend in the
garden. I'd have felt really guilty if the new neighbour had broken his
neck!

Andy

Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.

<lalaw44-E564BA.18144512072021@eu.news.astraweb.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1140&group=uk.rec.gardening#1140

From: lala...@hotmail.com (Another John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 18:15:15 +0100
 by: Another John - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 17:15 UTC

In article <sc9jc5$18io$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Primrose <me@flowers.net>
wrote:

> While I was out the front trimming my privets last Sunday with my
> re-chargeable trimmer, the neighbours' son said that when I had finished
> could he have the trimmer to do his mother's hedges. No please or thank
> you! (Mother's hedges are nearly 20ft tall, it would need a chainsaw to
> tackle them).
>
> Alarms bells ringing as the last time I lent him my nearly new brush it
> came back covered in gloss paint.
>
> So I told him that I couldn't lend him the trimmer as if he injured
> himself with it he could sue me for personal injury. Not sure if this
> is the truth but I wanted to put him off. I know ladders can be an issue.
>
> He left in a huff, I don't think that I was being mean.
>
> Do you lend your garden tools to neighbours?

I have a couple of friends whom I'd trust with most of my favourite
tools[1], because I know very well how they (my friends) work with their
own tools; and they have the odd tool that I have sometimes borrowed. We
each get our tools back at least as clean, and as cared-for, as when
they were lent out.

*Anyone* else -- even close friends, but who are not in the "trusted"
category: absolutely not.

I always tell them politely "Sorry - I never lend my tools!". Period.

Like Chris and Andy I might offer to do a job for those asking.

Incidentally: how old is the son of your neighbour? Over 30, or merely
a callow youth who doesn't know any better?

John

[1] With my chainsaw, I remind them of how much a new sawchain costs, so
if it's a big job, would they return the saw with a new one - no problem.

I have one friend who "has a way" with .. well, almost anything. He has
a lot of money, breaks things (almost everything), and just buys a new
one. (Strangely, although he spends hundreds on new plants (and is a
good _gardener_) he has never bought himself decent tools.)

The other week I broke my rule and lent him a very solid, all-steel,
3-prong cultivator: _perfect_ for dragging ivy out of the bottom of a
thick hedge. I thought that it is indestructible, so it was a good
favour to him. I got it back with a bend in the handle! Only a very
slight bend, but enough for me to resolve that I won't break my rule in
the future :-/

Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.

<il3vinF7eapU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1141&group=uk.rec.gardening#1141

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 23:55:18 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 22:55 UTC

Another John wrote:

> I have a couple of friends whom I'd trust with most of my favourite
> tools[1], because I know very well how they (my friends) work with their
> own tools; and they have the odd tool that I have sometimes borrowed. We
> each get our tools back at least as clean, and as cared-for, as when
> they were lent out.

I have a good neighbour, we lend each other tools, because we know we
look after them, but any given tool only once, if you need it again, you
ought to buy one ...

Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.

<scjjpe$197j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1143&group=uk.rec.gardening#1143

From: me...@flowers.net (Primrose)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:44:27 +0100
 by: Primrose - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 08:44 UTC

On 12/07/2021 18:15, Another John wrote:

>> While I was out the front trimming my privets last Sunday with my
>> re-chargeable trimmer, the neighbours' son said that when I had finished
>> could he have the trimmer to do his mother's hedges. No please or thank
>> you! (Mother's hedges are nearly 20ft tall, it would need a chainsaw to
>> tackle them).
>>

>> Do you lend your garden tools to neighbours?

> I have a couple of friends whom I'd trust with most of my favourite
> tools[1], because I know very well how they (my friends) work with their
> own tools; and they have the odd tool that I have sometimes borrowed. We
> each get our tools back at least as clean, and as cared-for, as when
> they were lent out.
>
> *Anyone* else -- even close friends, but who are not in the "trusted"
> category: absolutely not.
>
> I always tell them politely "Sorry - I never lend my tools!". Period.
>
> Like Chris and Andy I might offer to do a job for those asking.
>
> Incidentally: how old is the son of your neighbour? Over 30, or merely
> a callow youth who doesn't know any better?

I'd guess he is about 30, he comes and goes.:-) Their hedges are so
overgrown that they are covering the garden gate not to mention the
pavement outside their house! If I had leant him my little trimmer it
would have been kaput in 5 minutes.

> John
>
> [1] With my chainsaw, I remind them of how much a new sawchain costs, so
> if it's a big job, would they return the saw with a new one - no problem.
>

> I have one friend who "has a way" with .. well, almost anything. He has
> a lot of money, breaks things (almost everything), and just buys a new
> one. (Strangely, although he spends hundreds on new plants (and is a
> good _gardener_) he has never bought himself decent tools.)
>
> The other week I broke my rule and lent him a very solid, all-steel,
> 3-prong cultivator: _perfect_ for dragging ivy out of the bottom of a
> thick hedge. I thought that it is indestructible, so it was a good
> favour to him. I got it back with a bend in the handle! Only a very
> slight bend, but enough for me to resolve that I won't break my rule in
> the future :-/

He should have offered to replace it really.

--
I'm a sew and sow!

Re: Lending garden tools to neighbours.

<scjllq$6dk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1144&group=uk.rec.gardening#1144

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 10:16:41 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:16 UTC

On 12/07/2021 23:55, Andy Burns wrote:
> Another John wrote:
>
>> I have a couple of friends whom I'd trust with most of my favourite
>> tools[1], because I know very well how they (my friends) work with their
>> own tools; and they have the odd tool that I have sometimes borrowed. We
>> each get our tools back at least as clean, and as cared-for, as when
>> they were lent out.
>
> I have a good neighbour, we lend each other tools, because we know we
> look after them, but any given tool only once, if you need it again, you
> ought to buy one ...

Before I got my own serious hedge trimmer I used to borrow my elderly
neighbours in return for cutting their hedge with it. They were by then
too old to handle a heavy mains powered hedge cutter themselves.

I did once break the handle of a pick axe that I borrowed from a friend.
He was delighted to get it back with a new handle afterwards.

Nearly indestructible tools I might be inclined to lend but only to
close friends or neighbours.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown