"You shouldn't make my toaster angry." -- Household security explained in "Johnny Quest"

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Best road in Britain?

SubjectAuthor
* Best road in Britain?Alan
+* Best road in Britain?ogden
|`- Best road in Britain?Alan
+* Best road in Britain?Colin Irvine
|+* Best road in Britain?Alan
||`- Best road in Britain?Colin Irvine
|`* Best road in Britain?wessie
| +- Best road in Britain?YTC#1
| `* Best road in Britain?Paul Carmichael
|  `- Best road in Britain?wessie
+* Best road in Britain?YTC#1
|`- Best road in Britain?Champ
`* Best road in Britain?Champ
 +- Best road in Britain?YTC#1
 `* Best road in Britain?Stephen Packer
  +- Best road in Britain?sweller
  `* Best road in Britain?Turby
   `- Best road in Britain?Mark Olson

1
Best road in Britain?

<tehntq$vkis$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11499&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11499

From: ala...@darkroom.+.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Best road in Britain?
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:55:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:55 UTC

A537, Macclesfield to Cat and Fiddle pub.
Tight 2nd gear bends, long sweeping fast bends, brilliant views, and a
good chance of serious injury if you miss the bends.
We went up it yesterday after a 2 year gap, and got a clean, almost
traffic free, run up it. Loved it.
I cant think of any other roads in the UK that are as good. ( I havent
done the TT course).
Also did a lot of other brilliant Peak District roads to the east of
Buxton too. An excellent day out.

Re: Best road in Britain?

<41661dac-b0ff-41c0-a506-c267dbffea08n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11500&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11500

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 00:09:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Best road in Britain?
From: elda...@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 07:09 UTC

Alan wrote:
> A537, Macclesfield to Cat and Fiddle pub.
> Tight 2nd gear bends, long sweeping fast bends, brilliant views, and a
> good chance of serious injury if you miss the bends.
> We went up it yesterday after a 2 year gap, and got a clean, almost
> traffic free, run up it. Loved it.
> I cant think of any other roads in the UK that are as good.

A curious choice in this day and age.

This...
https://maps.app.goo.gl/jsZ2FvPiAhi6UkK39
.... is the first average speed camera I ever had to pause in front of while waiting for it to be safe to pass.

Re: Best road in Britain?

<51roghtrkueegs6h6r758gbpullfsspnnl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11501&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11501

From: loo...@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 08:36:15 +0100
 by: Colin Irvine - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 07:36 UTC

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:55:55 -0000 (UTC), Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com>
wrote:

>A537, Macclesfield to Cat and Fiddle pub.
>Tight 2nd gear bends, long sweeping fast bends, brilliant views, and a
>good chance of serious injury if you miss the bends.
>We went up it yesterday after a 2 year gap, and got a clean, almost
>traffic free, run up it. Loved it.
>I cant think of any other roads in the UK that are as good. ( I havent
>done the TT course).
>Also did a lot of other brilliant Peak District roads to the east of
>Buxton too. An excellent day out.

I suspect your knowledge of roads in the Dales and Borders is somewhat
limited.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: Best road in Britain?

<tehstf$vkis$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11502&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11502

From: ala...@darkroom.+.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 08:21:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 08:21 UTC

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 00:09:15 -0700, ogden wrote:

> Alan wrote:
>> A537, Macclesfield to Cat and Fiddle pub.

> A curious choice in this day and age.
>
> This...
> https://maps.app.goo.gl/jsZ2FvPiAhi6UkK39 ... is the first average speed
> camera I ever had to pause in front of while waiting for it to be safe
> to pass.

Well, yes, that may be my downfall. I didnt see any from Macclesfield,
but definitely a few after the Cat and Fiddle.

Re: Best road in Britain?

<teht84$vkis$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11503&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11503

From: ala...@darkroom.+.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 08:26:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 08:26 UTC

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 08:36:15 +0100, Colin Irvine wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:55:55 -0000 (UTC), Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com>
> wrote:
>
>>A537, Macclesfield to Cat and Fiddle pub.
>>Tight 2nd gear bends, long sweeping fast bends, brilliant views, and a
>>good chance of serious injury if you miss the bends.
>>We went up it yesterday after a 2 year gap, and got a clean, almost
>>traffic free, run up it. Loved it.
>>I cant think of any other roads in the UK that are as good. ( I havent
>>done the TT course).
>>Also did a lot of other brilliant Peak District roads to the east of
>>Buxton too. An excellent day out.
>
> I suspect your knowledge of roads in the Dales and Borders is somewhat
> limited.

Well, yes, but that 5 mile section was absolutely brilliant yesterday.
We were at Moffat last weekend, the Moffat to Selkirk road is a
favourite, but it hasnt got the thrills of yesterday IMO. Much better
scenery, well, a different kind of scenery, but a lot slower, and not
akin to a short circuit race track , which I thought yesterdays section
was.
I havent done a great deal of the Dales, it has been suggested before,
probably something we coudl fit in when we finally move house, which is
looking like early next year now.

Re: Best road in Britain?

<nsuogh97t2879qb1jfu3b1lm2ppvdtkr2s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11505&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11505

From: loo...@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 09:43:37 +0100
 by: Colin Irvine - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 08:43 UTC

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 08:26:44 -0000 (UTC), Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 08:36:15 +0100, Colin Irvine wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:55:55 -0000 (UTC), Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>A537, Macclesfield to Cat and Fiddle pub.
>>>Tight 2nd gear bends, long sweeping fast bends, brilliant views, and a
>>>good chance of serious injury if you miss the bends.
>>>We went up it yesterday after a 2 year gap, and got a clean, almost
>>>traffic free, run up it. Loved it.
>>>I cant think of any other roads in the UK that are as good. ( I havent
>>>done the TT course).
>>>Also did a lot of other brilliant Peak District roads to the east of
>>>Buxton too. An excellent day out.
>>
>> I suspect your knowledge of roads in the Dales and Borders is somewhat
>> limited.
>
>Well, yes, but that 5 mile section was absolutely brilliant yesterday.
>We were at Moffat last weekend, the Moffat to Selkirk road is a
>favourite, but it hasnt got the thrills of yesterday IMO. Much better
>scenery, well, a different kind of scenery, but a lot slower, and not
>akin to a short circuit race track , which I thought yesterdays section
>was.

Next time you're in the vicinity do Alston to Melmerby - both ways!

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: Best road in Britain?

<XnsAF026B76F3BBCwtymmmsas@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11508&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11508

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 09:33:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 09:33 UTC

Colin Irvine <look@colinandpat.co.uk> wrote in

> On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:55:55 -0000 (UTC), Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com>
> wrote:
>
>>A537, Macclesfield to Cat and Fiddle pub.
>>Tight 2nd gear bends, long sweeping fast bends, brilliant views, and a
>>good chance of serious injury if you miss the bends.
>>We went up it yesterday after a 2 year gap, and got a clean, almost
>>traffic free, run up it. Loved it.
>>I cant think of any other roads in the UK that are as good. ( I havent
>>done the TT course).
>>Also did a lot of other brilliant Peak District roads to the east of
>>Buxton too. An excellent day out.
>
> I suspect your knowledge of roads in the Dales and Borders is somewhat
> limited.

add Wales, Herefordshire and the Cotswolds to that list

no, I am not going to list them

Re: Best road in Britain?

<tei4ru$10te9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11510&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11510

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 11:36:46 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 10:36 UTC

On 29/08/2022 07:55, Alan wrote:
> A537, Macclesfield to Cat and Fiddle pub.

Provided to check your avaerage speed.

> Tight 2nd gear bends, long sweeping fast bends, brilliant views, and a
> good chance of serious injury if you miss the bends.
> We went up it yesterday after a 2 year gap, and got a clean,
Never bither now, always take the "bypass"

almost
> traffic free, run up it. Loved it.
> I cant think of any other roads in the UK that are as good. ( I havent
> done the TT course).

The IOM isn't in the UK.

> Also did a lot of other brilliant Peak District roads to the east of
> Buxton too. An excellent day out.

TBH, the best roads are what ever floats your boat.
Arguably the best road is the one that leaves the UK

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: Best road in Britain?

<tei4ut$10te9$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11511&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11511

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 11:38:21 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 10:38 UTC

On 29/08/2022 10:33, wessie wrote:
> Colin Irvine <look@colinandpat.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:55:55 -0000 (UTC), Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> A537, Macclesfield to Cat and Fiddle pub.
>>> Tight 2nd gear bends, long sweeping fast bends, brilliant views, and a
>>> good chance of serious injury if you miss the bends.
>>> We went up it yesterday after a 2 year gap, and got a clean, almost
>>> traffic free, run up it. Loved it.
>>> I cant think of any other roads in the UK that are as good. ( I havent
>>> done the TT course).
>>> Also did a lot of other brilliant Peak District roads to the east of
>>> Buxton too. An excellent day out.
>>
>> I suspect your knowledge of roads in the Dales and Borders is somewhat
>> limited.
>>

> add Wales, Herefordshire and the Cotswolds to that list

And then there are the highlands

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Best road in Britain?

<pan$23a4$48dbb1e1$5a912142$8fc9c6e9@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11517&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11517

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 29 Aug 2022 14:28:07 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 14:28 UTC

El Mon, 29 Aug 2022 09:33:51 +0000, wessie escribió:

> Colin Irvine <look@colinandpat.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:55:55 -0000 (UTC), Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>A537, Macclesfield to Cat and Fiddle pub.
>>>Tight 2nd gear bends, long sweeping fast bends, brilliant views, and a
>>>good chance of serious injury if you miss the bends.
>>>We went up it yesterday after a 2 year gap, and got a clean, almost
>>>traffic free, run up it. Loved it.
>>>I cant think of any other roads in the UK that are as good. ( I havent
>>>done the TT course).
>>>Also did a lot of other brilliant Peak District roads to the east of
>>>Buxton too. An excellent day out.
>>
>> I suspect your knowledge of roads in the Dales and Borders is somewhat
>> limited.
>>

> add Wales, Herefordshire and the Cotswolds to that list

Hmm, anybody remember the AFOT?

The A44 used to be my favourite. I don't know if Fish Hill is still
there. Make lots of noise in them there Cotswolds and you may annoy a
certain TV presenter. Bonus.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: Best road in Britain?

<XnsAF029F9545E95wtymmmsas@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11518&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11518

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 14:41:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 14:41 UTC

Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote in

> El Mon, 29 Aug 2022 09:33:51 +0000, wessie escribió:
>> add Wales, Herefordshire and the Cotswolds to that list
>
> Hmm, anybody remember the AFOT?
>
> The A44 used to be my favourite. I don't know if Fish Hill is still
> there. Make lots of noise in them there Cotswolds and you may annoy a
> certain TV presenter. Bonus.

Fish Hill is still there but is heavily monitored by police and camera
vans. National speed limit still applies. If it was in Gloucestershire,
they would have lowered the speed limit before now.

I mostly stick to B roads and single track lanes in the Cotswolds.

Re: Best road in Britain?

<880vgh1p6m69ouhkcbhjr7ku6obdd45aql@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11586&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11586

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 16:41:11 +0100
 by: Champ - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 15:41 UTC

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 11:36:46 +0100, YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk>
wrote:

>TBH, the best roads are what ever floats your boat.

This...

>Arguably the best road is the one that leaves the UK

....and this too!
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Best road in Britain?

<u80vghhq6tlgtae7ecfqi4og2mo1h0d3i2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11587&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11587

From: nea...@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 16:42:08 +0100
 by: Champ - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 15:42 UTC

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:55:55 -0000 (UTC), Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com>
wrote:

Glad you had fun, but seriously, the British Isle are littered with
brilliant motorcycling roads. Trying to define the 'best' is a fools
errand
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Best road in Britain?

<teo0vt$1rnr3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11591&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11591

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 17:07:22 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 16:07 UTC

On 31/08/2022 16:42, Champ wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:55:55 -0000 (UTC), Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com>
> wrote:
>
> Glad you had fun, but seriously, the British Isle are littered with
> brilliant motorcycling roads. Trying to define the 'best' is a fools
> errand

He was trying out some click bait.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Best road in Britain?

<c6c3bdf5-c198-4e61-a4bb-e3031bb4d357n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11595&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11595

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 09:23:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 16:23 UTC

On Wednesday, 31 August 2022 at 16:42:11 UTC+1, Champ wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:55:55 -0000 (UTC), Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com>
> wrote:
> Glad you had fun, but seriously, the British Isle are littered with
> brilliant motorcycling roads. Trying to define the 'best' is a fools
> errand

And anyway if you want to do the best roads that's a travel-boasting thread:

I think my top three would (probably) include:

- Transfagarasan
- Melbourne to Adelaide
- Pacific Coast Highway (around Big Sur)

But I'm sure I've forgotten a lot. And I'm sure there are better.

The Black Sea coast in Turkey's fantastic (but a bit boring straight roads, great scenery though).
Austria-Slovenia, the elevated roads around the Karawanks tunnel.
Some of the roads in Bosnia following some river heading to Croatia were great.
And... Georgia... The roads in the mountains are just crazy as are the drivers.

I could go on, for hours. Probably.

Re: Best road in Britain?

<jn9pd7Ft954U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11604&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11604

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 31 Aug 2022 18:59:51 GMT
 by: sweller - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 18:59 UTC

Stephen Packer wrote:

> But I'm sure I've forgotten a lot. And I'm sure there are better.
>
> The Black Sea coast in Turkey's fantastic (but a bit boring straight
> roads, great scenery though). Austria-Slovenia, the elevated roads
> around the Karawanks tunnel. Some of the roads in Bosnia following
> some river heading to Croatia were great. And... Georgia... The
> roads in the mountains are just crazy as are the drivers.

Atlas mountains were pretty good too. You missed that.

--
Simon

Re: Best road in Britain?

<teosk3$1umcv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11614&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11614

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 16:58:59 -0700
 by: Turby - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 23:58 UTC

On 8/31/2022 9:23 AM, Stephen Packer wrote:

> And anyway if you want to do the best roads that's a travel-boasting thread:
>
> I think my top three would (probably) include:
>
> - Transfagarasan
> - Melbourne to Adelaide
> - Pacific Coast Highway (around Big Sur)
>... > But I'm sure I've forgotten a lot. And I'm sure there are better.
>
> The Black Sea coast in Turkey's fantastic (but a bit boring straight roads, great scenery though).
> Austria-Slovenia, the elevated roads around the Karawanks tunnel.
> Some of the roads in Bosnia following some river heading to Croatia were great.
> And... Georgia... The roads in the mountains are just crazy as are the drivers.
>
> I could go on, for hours. Probably.

Oh yeah.
One that I took on a bus but would love to do on a bike - from Cajamarca
to Chicama, Peru on 8 and 1N.
The road from Birgunj to Kathmandu, Nepal.
From Tamanrasset, Algeria to Agadez, Niger across the Sahara.
The west coast of Corsica - a bunch of different roads, almost all fun.
Many roads in Norway, for example from Oslo to Bergen.
In the US, California has a ton of good roads, from the coast to the
mountains and the deserts. One example - The Cecilville Rd in the
Trinity Alps.
Utah 12 that goes basically from Bryce Canyon to Capitol Reef National
Parks.
Arizona 89 between Congress and Flagstaff via Prescott and Sedona.
US 550 in Colorado between Ouray and Silverton.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Best road in Britain?

<ter1po$28teq$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11638&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11638

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 19:39:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 19:39 UTC

Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:

> US 550 in Colorado between Ouray and Silverton.

AKA the "Million Dollar Highway", and the view looking down on
Silverton from almost a mile overhead is pretty spectacular.

Rode it with Brother Sleazy and have also been through it in a c*r
a few times.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Best road in Britain?