I've never been drunk, but often I've been overserved. -- George Gobel

aus+uk / uk.food+drink.misc / Re: Mutton?

SubjectAuthor
* Mutton?Brian
`* Re: Mutton?Malcolm Loades
 +* Re: Mutton?Graham
 |`* Re: Mutton?Malcolm Loades
 | +- Re: Mutton?Graham
 | `* Re: Mutton?Graham
 |  `- Re: Mutton?Malcolm Loades
 `* Re: Mutton?Brian
  `* Re: Mutton?Graham
   `- Re: Mutton?Brian

1
Mutton?

<svj5a3$si7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=111&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#111

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Subject: Mutton?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 18:46:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:t+6VAUcJtacwpnkChCfiWbAKWTs=
 by: Brian - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 18:46 UTC

We were watching one of those ‘Back in time for…” programmes which covered
the 1960s - the early part when they had a Mutton stew.

I think I’ve had mutton but I’m not sure.

When did it go out of fashion?

Obviously it takes longer to cook etc but people still buy stewing steak
etc and farmers must have to slaughter older animals and, presumably, they
go for either animal food or perhaps low value food products.

On a related topic,I ventured into an Eastern European supermarket in a
local town I visit about once a year, if that. (A number of similar shops
seem to have appeared since last ventured to that end town. ) They had
goat. I suggested to Senior Management we might try it- I’ve had it before.
I think I’m going to need to do some ground work.

Re: Mutton?

<j84lv9F5reqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=112&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#112

From: devn...@loades.net (Malcolm Loades)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Subject: Re: Mutton?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 19:26:33 +0000
 by: Malcolm Loades - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 19:26 UTC

On 28/02/2022 18:46, Brian wrote:

> We were watching one of those ‘Back in time for…” programmes which covered
> the 1960s - the early part when they had a Mutton stew.
>
> I think I’ve had mutton but I’m not sure.
>
> When did it go out of fashion?
>
> Obviously it takes longer to cook etc but people still buy stewing steak
> etc and farmers must have to slaughter older animals and, presumably, they
> go for either animal food or perhaps low value food products.
>
> On a related topic,I ventured into an Eastern European supermarket in a
> local town I visit about once a year, if that. (A number of similar shops
> seem to have appeared since last ventured to that end town. ) They had
> goat. I suggested to Senior Management we might try it- I’ve had it before.
> I think I’m going to need to do some ground work.

All cuts of sheep are available as either lamb or mutton in my local
Asian supermarkets with fresh meat counters. I always buy a kg of
mutton back chops when I make Rogan Josh, meat on the bone always tastes
better than diced meat.

Malcolm

Re: Mutton?

<YIaTJ.27773$7F2.8110@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=113&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#113

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 13:59:34 -0700
 by: Graham - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 20:59 UTC

On 2022-02-28 12:26 p.m., Malcolm Loades wrote:
> On 28/02/2022 18:46, Brian wrote:
>>

>> We were watching one of those ‘Back in time for…” programmes which
>> covered
>> the 1960s - the early part when they had a Mutton stew.
>>
>> I think I’ve had mutton but I’m not sure.
>>
>> When did it go out of fashion?
>>
>> Obviously it takes longer to cook etc but people still buy stewing steak
>> etc and farmers must have to slaughter older animals and, presumably,
>> they
>> go for either animal food or perhaps low value food products.
>>
>> On a related topic,I ventured into an Eastern European supermarket in a
>> local town I visit about once a year, if that.  (A number of similar
>> shops
>> seem to have appeared since last ventured to that end town. ) They had
>> goat. I suggested to Senior Management we might try it- I’ve had it
>> before.
>> I think I’m going to need to do some ground work.
>>
> All cuts of sheep are available as either lamb or mutton in my local
> Asian supermarkets with fresh meat counters.  I always buy a kg of
> mutton back chops when I make Rogan Josh, meat on the bone always tastes
> better than diced meat.
>
> Malcolm

Can you get hogget? It's supposed to combine the tenderness of lamb with
a bit more flavour.

I last ate mutton some 48 years ago when My then wife and I invited some
elderly neighbours for dinner. We tried slow roasting a leg of mutton
but part way through there was a power failure. The guests were polite
but I'm sure they had to have made appointments with their dentists
afterwards.
Graham

Re: Mutton?

<j868jiF5reqU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=114&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#114

From: devn...@loades.net (Malcolm Loades)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 09:50:42 +0000
 by: Malcolm Loades - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 09:50 UTC

On 28/02/2022 20:59, Graham wrote:
> On 2022-02-28 12:26 p.m., Malcolm Loades wrote:
>> On 28/02/2022 18:46, Brian wrote:
>>>

>>> We were watching one of those ‘Back in time for…” programmes which
>>> covered
>>> the 1960s - the early part when they had a Mutton stew.
>>>
>>> I think I’ve had mutton but I’m not sure.
>>>
>>> When did it go out of fashion?
>>>
>>> Obviously it takes longer to cook etc but people still buy stewing steak
>>> etc and farmers must have to slaughter older animals and, presumably,
>>> they
>>> go for either animal food or perhaps low value food products.
>>>
>>> On a related topic,I ventured into an Eastern European supermarket in a
>>> local town I visit about once a year, if that.  (A number of similar
>>> shops
>>> seem to have appeared since last ventured to that end town. ) They had
>>> goat. I suggested to Senior Management we might try it- I’ve had it
>>> before.
>>> I think I’m going to need to do some ground work.
>>>
>> All cuts of sheep are available as either lamb or mutton in my local
>> Asian supermarkets with fresh meat counters.  I always buy a kg of
>> mutton back chops when I make Rogan Josh, meat on the bone always tastes
>> better than diced meat.
>>
>> Malcolm
>
> Can you get hogget? It's supposed to combine the tenderness of lamb with
> a bit more flavour.

Yes, it's still available at Farmers' Markets and online. This supplier
is about 40 minutes drive away from me, not that I've ever bought from
them https://stanstedfarmshop.com/product/hogget/

The 'new' way of producing fuller flavoured lamb is by salt ageing which
is now finding it's way into supermarkets. Do you see that in Canada as
well?

Malcolm

Re: Mutton?

<IxrTJ.146304$t2Bb.75983@fx98.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=115&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#115

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 09:08:05 -0700
 by: Graham - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 16:08 UTC

On 2022-03-01 2:50 a.m., Malcolm Loades wrote:
> On 28/02/2022 20:59, Graham wrote:

>>> All cuts of sheep are available as either lamb or mutton in my local
>>> Asian supermarkets with fresh meat counters.  I always buy a kg of
>>> mutton back chops when I make Rogan Josh, meat on the bone always tastes
>>> better than diced meat.
>>>
>>> Malcolm
>>
>> Can you get hogget? It's supposed to combine the tenderness of lamb with
>> a bit more flavour.
>>
> Yes, it's still available at Farmers' Markets and online.  This supplier
> is about 40 minutes drive away from me, not that I've ever bought from
> them https://stanstedfarmshop.com/product/hogget/
>
> The 'new' way of producing fuller flavoured lamb is by salt ageing which
> is now finding it's way into supermarkets.  Do you see that in Canada as
> well?
>
> Malcolm
I've not come across that method. There is a sheep farm near here that
sells lamb so I'll have to ask.
Alberta lamb is extremely good but also expensive, so I buy NZ. I
haven't roasted a leg for many years as my sons don't care for lamb and
a lot of my former dinner party friends have "left".
I hope I will be able to visit the UK later this year when I'll get my
sister to get some salt-aged to try.
Graham

Re: Mutton?

<svlq6d$oqd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=116&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#116

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 18:55:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:radaM4tX8kv91sur5reg3RrsELE=
 by: Brian - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 18:55 UTC

Malcolm Loades <devnull@loades.net> wrote:
> On 28/02/2022 18:46, Brian wrote:
>>

>> We were watching one of those ‘Back in time for…” programmes which covered
>> the 1960s - the early part when they had a Mutton stew.
>>
>> I think I’ve had mutton but I’m not sure.
>>
>> When did it go out of fashion?
>>
>> Obviously it takes longer to cook etc but people still buy stewing steak
>> etc and farmers must have to slaughter older animals and, presumably, they
>> go for either animal food or perhaps low value food products.
>>
>> On a related topic,I ventured into an Eastern European supermarket in a
>> local town I visit about once a year, if that. (A number of similar shops
>> seem to have appeared since last ventured to that end town. ) They had
>> goat. I suggested to Senior Management we might try it- I’ve had it before.
>> I think I’m going to need to do some ground work.
>>
> All cuts of sheep are available as either lamb or mutton in my local
> Asian supermarkets with fresh meat counters. I always buy a kg of
> mutton back chops when I make Rogan Josh, meat on the bone always tastes
> better than diced meat.
>
> Malcolm

At the risk of sounding “racist” ( which is not my intention), Asians tend
to use more cuts etc we don’t. I suspect, at least historically, it comes
down to waste. We have enjoyed affluence for longer and became picky
earlier.

That said, if you look at German food, they still eat things we abandoned (
at least most people did) years ago. Germany is an affluent country. I
recall eating a delightful oxtail soup in a German restaurant which you
wouldn’t see at the time in the UK. There were also dishes based on pig
trotters.

Re: Mutton?

<dLuTJ.93713$Wdl5.45145@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#117

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 12:47:19 -0700
 by: Graham - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 19:47 UTC

On 2022-03-01 11:55 a.m., Brian wrote:
> Malcolm Loades <devnull@loades.net> wrote:
>> On 28/02/2022 18:46, Brian wrote:
>>>

>>> We were watching one of those ‘Back in time for…” programmes which covered
>>> the 1960s - the early part when they had a Mutton stew.
>>>
>>> I think I’ve had mutton but I’m not sure.
>>>
>>> When did it go out of fashion?
>>>
>>> Obviously it takes longer to cook etc but people still buy stewing steak
>>> etc and farmers must have to slaughter older animals and, presumably, they
>>> go for either animal food or perhaps low value food products.
>>>
>>> On a related topic,I ventured into an Eastern European supermarket in a
>>> local town I visit about once a year, if that. (A number of similar shops
>>> seem to have appeared since last ventured to that end town. ) They had
>>> goat. I suggested to Senior Management we might try it- I’ve had it before.
>>> I think I’m going to need to do some ground work.
>>>
>> All cuts of sheep are available as either lamb or mutton in my local
>> Asian supermarkets with fresh meat counters. I always buy a kg of
>> mutton back chops when I make Rogan Josh, meat on the bone always tastes
>> better than diced meat.
>>
>> Malcolm
>>

> At the risk of sounding “racist” ( which is not my intention), Asians tend
> to use more cuts etc we don’t. I suspect, at least historically, it comes
> down to waste. We have enjoyed affluence for longer and became picky
> earlier.
>
> That said, if you look at German food, they still eat things we abandoned (
> at least most people did) years ago. Germany is an affluent country. I
> recall eating a delightful oxtail soup in a German restaurant which you
> wouldn’t see at the time in the UK. There were also dishes based on pig
> trotters.

I occasionally see oxtails in the local supermarket, which is
surprising, given that the 2 major abattoirs in this Province together
slaughter 8,500 cattle per day. I suppose the average shopper is
interested only in steaks.

Re: Mutton?

<svlusb$uue$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=118&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#118

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 20:15:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:fesCzEbgALnxOgfzvRYWk8WOGLs=
 by: Brian - Tue, 1 Mar 2022 20:15 UTC

Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:
> On 2022-03-01 11:55 a.m., Brian wrote:
>> Malcolm Loades <devnull@loades.net> wrote:

>>> All cuts of sheep are available as either lamb or mutton in my local
>>> Asian supermarkets with fresh meat counters. I always buy a kg of
>>> mutton back chops when I make Rogan Josh, meat on the bone always tastes
>>> better than diced meat.
>>>
>>> Malcolm
>>>

>> At the risk of sounding “racist” ( which is not my intention), Asians tend
>> to use more cuts etc we don’t. I suspect, at least historically, it comes
>> down to waste. We have enjoyed affluence for longer and became picky
>> earlier.
>>
>> That said, if you look at German food, they still eat things we abandoned (
>> at least most people did) years ago. Germany is an affluent country. I
>> recall eating a delightful oxtail soup in a German restaurant which you
>> wouldn’t see at the time in the UK. There were also dishes based on pig
>> trotters.
>>
> I occasionally see oxtails in the local supermarket, which is
> surprising, given that the 2 major abattoirs in this Province together
> slaughter 8,500 cattle per day. I suppose the average shopper is
> interested only in steaks.

I’ve never seen them here. I use a local butcher when I want something
special. I expect he could supply them.

Re: Mutton?

<yHCTJ.30767$7F2.11271@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=119&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#119

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 21:49:34 -0700
 by: Graham - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 04:49 UTC

On 2022-03-01 2:50 a.m., Malcolm Loades wrote:
> On 28/02/2022 20:59, Graham wrote:

>>> All cuts of sheep are available as either lamb or mutton in my local
>>> Asian supermarkets with fresh meat counters.  I always buy a kg of
>>> mutton back chops when I make Rogan Josh, meat on the bone always tastes
>>> better than diced meat.
>>>
>>> Malcolm
>>
>> Can you get hogget? It's supposed to combine the tenderness of lamb with
>> a bit more flavour.
>>
> Yes, it's still available at Farmers' Markets and online.  This supplier
> is about 40 minutes drive away from me, not that I've ever bought from
> them https://stanstedfarmshop.com/product/hogget/
>
> The 'new' way of producing fuller flavoured lamb is by salt ageing which
> is now finding it's way into supermarkets.  Do you see that in Canada as
> well?
>
> Malcolm
Some of our supermarkets dry-age beef, which is what salt-aging is,
nothing more. Even dressing it up with pink salt block lined rooms
doesn't change that.
Graham

Re: Mutton?

<j88qrkFkk0rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=120&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#120

From: devn...@loades.net (Malcolm Loades)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 09:14:29 +0000
 by: Malcolm Loades - Wed, 2 Mar 2022 09:14 UTC

On 02/03/2022 04:49, Graham wrote:
> On 2022-03-01 2:50 a.m., Malcolm Loades wrote:

>>> Can you get hogget? It's supposed to combine the tenderness of lamb with
>>> a bit more flavour.
>>>
>> Yes, it's still available at Farmers' Markets and online.  This supplier
>> is about 40 minutes drive away from me, not that I've ever bought from
>> them https://stanstedfarmshop.com/product/hogget/
>>
>> The 'new' way of producing fuller flavoured lamb is by salt ageing which
>> is now finding it's way into supermarkets.  Do you see that in Canada as
>> well?
>>
>> Malcolm
> Some of our supermarkets dry-age beef, which is what salt-aging is,
> nothing more. Even dressing it up with pink salt block lined rooms
> doesn't change that.
> Graham

Yes, I googled this and you're right.

It's interesting and raises questions for me. In the UK dry aged beef
always has the number of days it has been dry aged on the label eg "30
day dry aged", "45 day dry aged". The longer aged it is the more
expensive it is and hopefully better.

I've never seen lamb described as dry aged, only salt aged. And I've
never seen a number of ageing days on salt aged lamb. Further googling
indicates that salt aged poultry is also available - I guess that's
almost the same as when we killed a chicken at home, it was always hung
up in the shed for a few days before eating.

By complete coincidence I bought special bags for dry ageing meat which
were delivered yesterday. I'll start a new thread on that since it
could wander off what we're talking about here.

Malcolm