Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Spring Break Play Want Bin (PWBE 14 Mar 2022)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 03:42:46 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 08:42 UTC

It's a good thing that the pandemic is over so that everybody can travel
and see the world unimpeded by other earthly concerns.

Play:
--=--

Demon's Souls (PS3/PS5) - I think I've figured out what it is I really
like about the Souls games in general, but which is particularly true of
the original Demon's Souls. It's quiet. Everything in the real world is so
loud and obnoxious and insistent, and it's genuinely horrifying how much
noise there is being made by people whose only purpose is to waste your
time. Demon's Souls may be happening in the decaying remains of a ruined
world, but at least you know for sure that every sound has meaning and
every conversation has purpose. Of all the things that I might have strong
emotions about when a real-life apocalypse finally happens, I think it
will be the quiet that I end up being most thankful for.

Dark Souls (Switch) - I'm probably done, or at least I will be for another
ten years or so. Having beaten Gywndolin down below in the basement of
Anor Londo I'm now confronted with Smough and Ornstein in order to unlock
that last bit of the game that allows me to teleport between bonfires, and
I just can't be arsed. I'm sure I could spend another ten hours levelling
up and getting myself some better armour and shields, but there's honestly
no point now because I'm not having fun. Maybe one day after I've had
another run through Bloodborne I'll be in a mood to try the game as a
melee class rather than a spellcaster, but for right now this is going
back in the case so I can do other things.

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing (PC/DS) - Just trying to see how fast I
can unlock all of the racers in the portable version. A Steam update that
went out this past week broke streaming graphics for a bunch of older
games, which meant that there were many fiddly technical barriers between
my kid and his racing enjoyment. Probably I just need to set up a game
system for him that runs the game proper and not bother with all of the
remote play nonsense.

Want:
--=--

A bunch of redundant PS2 games (PS2) - Back when I had only a little money
and also no sense, if a game were multiplatform I would spend a stupid
amount of time deciding which port was better and then buy only that one.
That meant I missed out on a lot of games that were probably better
experienced on the PS2. An irresponsible shopping spree will plug a lot of
those holes in my collection via a parcel to be received on Thursday-ish
or so, as you will be able to observe from my Expenditure entries for this
week. I think the star attraction might be the second Incredible Hulk
game, which was designed by my mate Eric Holmes and has a lot of fun play
mechanisms stolen cheerfully from GTA. I'm also getting a second Phantasy
Star Universe disc to see if I can get some homebrew online servers going
with a couple of local client systems.

Shadow Tower: Abyss (PS2) - One of those games that was fully translated
but then got the plug pulled at the last minute because Sony was the
publisher and they didn't want to take a chance on a niche RPG with hard
difficulty and an opaque narrative. From a company called From Software.
I've been reading up and I've told that Abyss is the game that truly
bridges the gap between the King's Field and Souls series, and I'm dying
to experience that for myself. Setting aside Demon's Souls on PS5 it's a
pretty safe bet that From isn't really interested in exploring their back
catalogue, so it's not like this is high on anybody's list to remaster.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $757

Wonder Boy Anniversary Collection (PS4) - $55
Wonder Boy Anniversary Collection (Switch) - $55
Taito Anniversary (Switch) - $45
Metrpolismania 2 (PS2) - $30
Taito Legends (PS2) - $28
Spartan Total Warrior (PS2) - $14
Incredible Hulk (PS2) - $13
Sonic Heroes (PS2) - $12
Phantasy Star Universe (PS2) - $12
Mega Man Anniversary Collection (PS2) - $11
Sonic Mega Collection (PS2) - $10
TOCA Race Driver 3 (PS2) - $6
City Crisis (PS2) - $4
Pinball Hall of Fame: Gottlieb Collection (PS2) - $4
Chessmaster (PS2) - $3
ESPN Hockey 2K4 (PS2) - $3
Sega Sports Tennis (PS2) - $4
World Series Baseball 2K3 (PS2) - $3
Ecco the Dolphin Defender of the Future (PS2) - $16

Total to date - $1,082

-KKC, who treats shopping as an exercise in optimism.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @

Re: Spring Break Play Want Bin (PWBE 14 Mar 2022)

<VPEXJ.596073$X81.571561@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1157&group=uk.games.video.misc#1157

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Spring Break Play Want Bin (PWBE 14 Mar 2022)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:31:17 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:31 UTC

> Play:

Hydro Thunder (DC) - I probably haven't played this since the Midway
Arcade Treasures 3 version, and it's still a pretty fun arcade racer.
It does seem quite tough now, I think you need a lot of track
knowledge and mastery of the jump move to do well and neither is
really a thing for me at the moment. Lacking my old save is also an
issue, as even just the track-unlocking isn't the easiest thing ever.
I've made it to the Medium difficulty tracks, at least.

The Typing of the Dead (DC) - the main problem I have with this is
that I kind of played House of the Dead 2 to death, so to speak, and
played TOTD itself a fair bit too. So even many years after last
playing either (probably), this still vaguely feels overplayed to me.
But it's undeniably top keyboard vs. zombie action.

Burnout Legends (PSP) - more pointy-cornered racing. Got to the Super
class, which starts off with an absolute brick-wall of an event
requiring you to do at least 16 takedowns with a tight time limit, and
if you don't clear it you can't unlock any other events. Nice.

> Want:

Nothing.

> Bin:

Burnout events which require takedowns. Even in cases without
obnoxiously harsh requirements, I'd say they're probably the single
worst thing about Burnout 3 and related games.

-Rus.

Re: Spring Break Play Want Bin (PWBE 14 Mar 2022)

<Wt-dnWXVIOtKgrL_nZ2dnUU7-Y3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1158&group=uk.games.video.misc#1158

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 05:58:31 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:58 UTC

In article <VPEXJ.596073$X81.571561@usenetxs.com>,
Russell Marks <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
>Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>
>> Play:
>
>Hydro Thunder (DC) -

I just wanted to mention that my son plays this a fair bit, and I have a
lovely recording of him saying the title of the game in the style of the
stupid Midway announcer.

>The Typing of the Dead (DC) - the main problem I have with this is
>that I kind of played House of the Dead 2 to death, so to speak, and
>played TOTD itself a fair bit too. So even many years after last
>playing either (probably), this still vaguely feels overplayed to me.
>But it's undeniably top keyboard vs. zombie action.

Have you done Typing of the Dead Overkill much? Given that the PS Move was
a poor substitute for actual light guns, that seems like the best way of
experiencing the Overkill story now on modern hardware. It's also got
vocabulary plug-ins with unpredictably hihlarious results. I played the
heck out of the Steam version.

-KKC, who somehow has both too much and not enough to do at work today.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @
don't trust anyone. You're used to getting smacked around, | io-nyc
and you never get homesick." - Michael Westen, /Burn Notice/ | .com

Re: Spring Break Play Want Bin (PWBE 14 Mar 2022)

<pW0YJ.713844$u91.129356@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1159&group=uk.games.video.misc#1159

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 13:56:37 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 13:56 UTC

> In article <VPEXJ.596073$X81.571561@usenetxs.com>,
> Russell Marks <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
>>Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>>
>>> Play:
>>
>>Hydro Thunder (DC) -
>
> I just wanted to mention that my son plays this a fair bit, and I have a
> lovely recording of him saying the title of the game in the style of the
> stupid Midway announcer.

:-)

> Have you done Typing of the Dead Overkill much?

I've actually not played the Typing of that one, but I did play
Overkill proper a fair bit on the Wii.

-Rus.