Nothing lasts forever. Where do I find nothing?

aus+uk / uk.media.tv.misc / Re: The Ipcress File - ITV (was: Given up) POSSIBLE SPOILER - and that includes Martin's post immediately above

SubjectAuthor
* Given upAr
+* Re: Given upJNugent
|+* Re: Given upMike Swift
||+* Re: Given upJeff Layman
|||`- Re: Given upMike Swift
||+- The Ipcress file (was: Given up)JNugent
||+* Re: Given upCalum
|||`* Re: Given upMike Swift
||| `* Re: Given upJeff Layman
|||  `* The Ipcress File (was: Given up)JNugent
|||   `* Re: The Ipcress File (was: Given up)Jeff Layman
|||    +- Re: The Ipcress FileJNugent
|||    `- Re: The Ipcress File (was: Given up)Mike Swift
||`- Re: Given upJNugent
|+* Re: Given upbilly bookcase
||`- Re: Given upJNugent
|`* Re: Given upAr
| +- Re: Given upJNugent
| `* Re: Given upJNugent
|  `* Re: Given upMartin
|   `* The Ipcress File - ITV (was: Given up) POSSIBLE SPOILER - and thatJNugent
|    `- Re: The Ipcress File - ITV (was: Given up) POSSIBLE SPOILER - and that includes Martin
`* Re: Given upRichard Evans
 `* Re: Given upJNugent
  +- Re: Given upMike Swift
  `- Re: Given upRichard Evans

Pages:12
Re: The Ipcress File - ITV (was: Given up) POSSIBLE SPOILER - and that includes Martin's post immediately above

<vs1e3h5fdt1c383m2hlsuj8ifho2jfam1n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1159&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1159

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Subject: Re: The Ipcress File - ITV (was: Given up) POSSIBLE SPOILER - and that includes Martin's post immediately above
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 12:03:58 +0100
 by: Martin - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 11:03 UTC

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:17:20 +0000, JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>On 19/03/2022 09:11 am, Martin wrote:
>
>> JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>> Indeed.

>>> It was a low-budget film. But the only bit that really suffered from
>>> that was the improbably damaging psycho-torture sequence.
>>
>> I can't remember the book after more than 50 years, but I assume in the book he
>> did actually go to Germany. He does in the TV version and doesn't in the film.
>> The significance of him being one of the Glorious Gloucesters is probably lost
>> on the younger generation. They were captured by the N Koreans and tortured,
>
>I take it you've watched the whole thing?

We have only watched two episodes. We had recorded the 1965 film that was
broadcast fairly recently and watched it after the first episode. Palmer
mentioned that he had been in the Gloucester Regiment in Korea in the TV
version. I've only ever met one person who had been in the Korean war. He was a
65 year old Dutchman who did a parquet floor for us decades ago. There is an
American film based on Korean POWs being brain washed - The Manchurian candidate
made around 1960, starring Frank Sinatra. There's also a remake that I haven't
seen.

--

Martin in Zuid Holland