From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Yamaha Fuel tank Vent Query
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 16:48:21 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 15:48 UTC

After a lot of effort (and some cash) I've finally got the XV running
smoothly for the first time in x years. There have been multiple
'issues' but the final one was identified/resolved* by going for a ride
with the fuel cap 'loose'.

I dismantled the cap (see
http://www.deuchars.org.uk/mcycle/YamahaXVFuelCapIMG_20220722_164020.jpg
) and the whole thing seems overly complicated but the bit I am really
curious about is the little hole containing a (loose) ball bearing and a
similar, but larger, hole the other side of the lock cylinder in the
centre.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming that the ball bearing
is there to stop any fuel sloshing about in the tank from coming up out
the cap. However, on the other side there is no ball in the hole but
some fibrous material jammed in the base.

Is this all correct?

TIA, Chris

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Re: Yamaha Fuel tank Vent Query

<jkfq1oFcvstU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11034&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11034

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Yamaha Fuel tank Vent Query
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 16:58:47 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 15:58 UTC

On 28/07/2022 16:48, ChrisND @UKRM wrote:
> After a lot of effort (and some cash) I've finally got the XV running
> smoothly for the first time in x years.  There have been multiple
> 'issues' but the final one was identified/resolved* by going for a ride
> with the fuel cap 'loose'.

Bad Form etc but I missed off the following footnote...**

*In case this might help others, I identified this issue via an
unexpected route. I had already checked fuel float levels and that fuel
was flowing - apparently adequately. What I had NOT done was check the
levels with the engine running. It turned out that there was about 6mm
difference - a bit of a give away which I should have spotted earlier -
hence weak mixture and great banging. The fact that the thing ran
better with the choke out a bit was another clue had I but realised it!

Chris

**I'm an old bloke. I forget things sometimes...
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t
http://www.Deuchars.org.uk

Re: Yamaha Fuel tank Vent Query

<jnbvfeF989jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11629&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11629

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 15:55:41 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 14:55 UTC

On 28/07/2022 16:48, ChrisND @UKRM wrote:
> After a lot of effort (and some cash) I've finally got the XV running
> smoothly for the first time in x years.  There have been multiple
> 'issues' but the final one was identified/resolved* by going for a ride
> with the fuel cap 'loose'.
>
> I dismantled the cap (see
> http://www.deuchars.org.uk/mcycle/YamahaXVFuelCapIMG_20220722_164020.jpg
> ) and the whole thing seems overly complicated but the bit I am really
> curious about is the little hole containing a (loose) ball bearing and a
> similar, but larger, hole the other side of the lock cylinder in the
> centre.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming that the ball bearing
> is there to stop any fuel sloshing about in the tank from coming up out
> the cap.  However, on the other side there is no ball in the hole but
> some fibrous material jammed in the base.

Yet further bad form - but this bit is to help anybody else out there
who might be scratching their heads over an SOB...

Further dismantling, removing a brass insert and a 6mm felt disc,
revealed that the felt had become very hard and all but lost its
porosity. (see
https://www.deuchars.org.uk/mcycle/YamahaXVfuelCapIMG_20220827_150403m.jpg )

I tried using solvent on the felt but decided it was PISBD and replaced
it with a small piece of heavy towelling. This resulted in the bike
running like its supposed to - with the fuel cap fully shut.
:-)

HTH, Chris

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t
http://www.Deuchars.org.uk

Re: Yamaha Fuel tank Vent Query

<ter1ag$28teq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11636&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11636

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 19:31:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Thu, 1 Sep 2022 19:31 UTC

ChrisND @UKRM <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 28/07/2022 16:48, ChrisND @UKRM wrote:
>> After a lot of effort (and some cash) I've finally got the XV running
>> smoothly for the first time in x years.  There have been multiple
>> 'issues' but the final one was identified/resolved* by going for a ride
>> with the fuel cap 'loose'.
>>
>> I dismantled the cap (see
>> http://www.deuchars.org.uk/mcycle/YamahaXVFuelCapIMG_20220722_164020.jpg
>> ) and the whole thing seems overly complicated but the bit I am really
>> curious about is the little hole containing a (loose) ball bearing and a
>> similar, but larger, hole the other side of the lock cylinder in the
>> centre.
>>
>> Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming that the ball bearing
>> is there to stop any fuel sloshing about in the tank from coming up out
>> the cap.  However, on the other side there is no ball in the hole but
>> some fibrous material jammed in the base.
>
> Yet further bad form - but this bit is to help anybody else out there
> who might be scratching their heads over an SOB...
>
> Further dismantling, removing a brass insert and a 6mm felt disc,
> revealed that the felt had become very hard and all but lost its
> porosity. (see
> https://www.deuchars.org.uk/mcycle/YamahaXVfuelCapIMG_20220827_150403m.jpg )
>
> I tried using solvent on the felt but decided it was PISBD and replaced
> it with a small piece of heavy towelling. This resulted in the bike
> running like its supposed to - with the fuel cap fully shut.

Thanks, always nice to get a detailed followup.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: Yamaha Fuel tank Vent Query