My little brother got this fortune: nohup rm -fr /& So he did...

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Well, that didn't last long

SubjectAuthor
* Well, that didn't last longTurby
+* Well, that didn't last longsweller
|`- Well, that didn't last longBruce Horrocks
+* Well, that didn't last longStephen Packer
|`- Well, that didn't last longTurby
`* Well, that didn't last longMark Olson
 +- Well, that didn't last longMark Olson
 `* Well, that didn't last longYTC#1
  +* Well, that didn't last longChrisND @UKRM
  |`* Well, that didn't last longTurby
  | `- Well, that didn't last longYTC#1
  `- Well, that didn't last longPipl

1
Well, that didn't last long

<tf3nbd$3fah6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11657&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11657

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Well, that didn't last long
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 19:36:28 -0700
 by: Turby - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 02:36 UTC

So I have a German friend, Franz, who is also a motorcyclist and a
traveler. He currently lives in Bali, but has family and friends in
California. He owns a BMWR1200GS Adventure, which he keeps here with a
cafe buddy. He hasn't been here in 3 years and just arrived a couple of
days ago. He wants me to buy his bike. I think I will, but I'm not sure.
The panniers are covered with decals from his last trip - to Tierra Del
Fuego at the tip of South America. If I get it, should I leave all those
decals on, even though I didn't go there? But the bike has and they
belong to the bike, not me. Should I add decals of the places I've been,
even though the bike hasn't?

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Well, that didn't last long

<jnlgidFobnoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11658&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11658

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Well, that didn't last long
Date: 5 Sep 2022 05:42:37 GMT
 by: sweller - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 05:42 UTC

Turby wrote:

> to Tierra Del Fuego at the tip of South America. If I get it, should
> I leave all those decals on, even though I didn't go there? But the
> bike has and they belong to the bike, not me. Should I add decals of
> the places I've been, even though the bike hasn't?

I bought a high mileage (175K) UK GS1150 Adv that had been to Alaska to
the southern tip of Argentina by the previous owner (who had had a
stroke and could no longer ride).

I removed all the stickers.

A hot air gun is the best thing.

--
Simon

Re: Well, that didn't last long

<defd19bd-4207-e41a-9b0c-66d5ba958a5c@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11659&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11659

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 11:50:32 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 10:50 UTC

On 05/09/2022 06:42, sweller wrote:
> Turby wrote:
>
>> to Tierra Del Fuego at the tip of South America. If I get it, should
>> I leave all those decals on, even though I didn't go there? But the
>> bike has and they belong to the bike, not me. Should I add decals of
>> the places I've been, even though the bike hasn't?
>
> I bought a high mileage (175K) UK GS1150 Adv that had been to Alaska to
> the southern tip of Argentina by the previous owner (who had had a
> stroke and could no longer ride).
>
> I removed all the stickers.
>
> A hot air gun is the best thing.

Surely the rule is that he now has to book a trip to S. America asap?
:-)

--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS

Re: Well, that didn't last long

<e6fdda0f-1204-4771-b45b-4e92a0a78be3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11660&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11660

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 06:21:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 13:21 UTC

On Monday, 5 September 2022 at 03:36:31 UTC+1, Turby wrote:
> So I have a German friend, Franz, who is also a motorcyclist and a
> traveler. He currently lives in Bali, but has family and friends in
> California. He owns a BMWR1200GS Adventure, which he keeps here with a
> cafe buddy. He hasn't been here in 3 years and just arrived a couple of
> days ago. He wants me to buy his bike. I think I will, but I'm not sure.
> The panniers are covered with decals from his last trip - to Tierra Del
> Fuego at the tip of South America. If I get it, should I leave all those
> decals on, even though I didn't go there? But the bike has and they
> belong to the bike, not me. Should I add decals of the places I've been,
> even though the bike hasn't?

Surely you just need a denim cut-off and put the patches of the places
you went on there, with the bike bearing its own record of where it has
been?

Re: Well, that didn't last long

<tf5bm7$3kslk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11663&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11663

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 10:29:42 -0700
 by: Turby - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 17:29 UTC

On 9/5/2022 6:21 AM, Stephen Packer wrote:
> On Monday, 5 September 2022 at 03:36:31 UTC+1, Turby wrote:
>> So I have a German friend, Franz, who is also a motorcyclist and a
>> traveler. He currently lives in Bali, but has family and friends in
>> California. He owns a BMWR1200GS Adventure, which he keeps here with a
>> cafe buddy. He hasn't been here in 3 years and just arrived a couple of
>> days ago. He wants me to buy his bike. I think I will, but I'm not sure.
>> The panniers are covered with decals from his last trip - to Tierra Del
>> Fuego at the tip of South America. If I get it, should I leave all those
>> decals on, even though I didn't go there? But the bike has and they
>> belong to the bike, not me. Should I add decals of the places I've been,
>> even though the bike hasn't?
>
> Surely you just need a denim cut-off and put the patches of the places
> you went on there, with the bike bearing its own record of where it has
> been?

Not a bad idea, but the only decal/patch I've ever put on a bike was the
UKRM on the GS. Maybe a sticker that says "The bike, not me"?

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Well, that didn't last long

<tf5jk1$3lmj7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11664&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11664

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 19:45:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 19:45 UTC

Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
> So I have a German friend, Franz, who is also a motorcyclist and a
> traveler. He currently lives in Bali, but has family and friends in
> California. He owns a BMWR1200GS Adventure, which he keeps here with a
> cafe buddy. He hasn't been here in 3 years and just arrived a couple of
> days ago. He wants me to buy his bike. I think I will, but I'm not sure.
> The panniers are covered with decals from his last trip - to Tierra Del
> Fuego at the tip of South America. If I get it, should I leave all those
> decals on, even though I didn't go there? But the bike has and they
> belong to the bike, not me. Should I add decals of the places I've been,
> even though the bike hasn't?

I would either take them all off or leave them all on.

Leaving just some of them on because you've been there, seems more
wrong then leaving them all on.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Well, that didn't last long

<tf5jmk$3lmj7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11665&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11665

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 19:46:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 19:46 UTC

Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:
> Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
>> So I have a German friend, Franz, who is also a motorcyclist and a
>> traveler. He currently lives in Bali, but has family and friends in
>> California. He owns a BMWR1200GS Adventure, which he keeps here with a
>> cafe buddy. He hasn't been here in 3 years and just arrived a couple of
>> days ago. He wants me to buy his bike. I think I will, but I'm not sure.
>> The panniers are covered with decals from his last trip - to Tierra Del
>> Fuego at the tip of South America. If I get it, should I leave all those
>> decals on, even though I didn't go there? But the bike has and they
>> belong to the bike, not me. Should I add decals of the places I've been,
>> even though the bike hasn't?
>
> I would either take them all off or leave them all on.
>
> Leaving just some of them on because you've been there, seems more
> wrong then leaving them all on.

s/then/than/

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Well, that didn't last long

<tf70h0$3s5hv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11666&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11666

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 09:31:28 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 08:31 UTC

On 05/09/2022 20:45, Mark Olson wrote:
> Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
>> So I have a German friend, Franz, who is also a motorcyclist and a
>> traveler. He currently lives in Bali, but has family and friends in
>> California. He owns a BMWR1200GS Adventure, which he keeps here with a
>> cafe buddy. He hasn't been here in 3 years and just arrived a couple of
>> days ago. He wants me to buy his bike. I think I will, but I'm not sure.
>> The panniers are covered with decals from his last trip - to Tierra Del
>> Fuego at the tip of South America. If I get it, should I leave all those
>> decals on, even though I didn't go there? But the bike has and they
>> belong to the bike, not me. Should I add decals of the places I've been,
>> even though the bike hasn't?
>
> I would either take them all off or leave them all on.
>
> Leaving just some of them on because you've been there, seems more
> wrong then leaving them all on.

And it can be a talking point. When someone asks have you been all those
places? "Nah, just the bike". ANd then if inclined tell them it was
cheaper to ship the bike while you stayed at home.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: Well, that didn't last long

<jnojlmF8q3uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11667&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11667

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 10:53:58 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 09:53 UTC

On 06/09/2022 09:31, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 05/09/2022 20:45, Mark Olson wrote:
>> Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
>>> So I have a German friend, Franz, who is also a motorcyclist and a
>>> traveler. He currently lives in Bali, but has family and friends in
>>> California. He owns a BMWR1200GS Adventure, which he keeps here with a
>>> cafe buddy. He hasn't been here in 3 years and just arrived a couple of
>>> days ago. He wants me to buy his bike. I think I will, but I'm not sure.
>>> The panniers are covered with decals from his last trip - to Tierra Del
>>> Fuego at the tip of South America. If I get it, should I leave all those
>>> decals on, even though I didn't go there? But the bike has and they
>>> belong to the bike, not me. Should I add decals of the places I've been,
>>> even though the bike hasn't?
>>
>> I would either take them all off or leave them all on.
>>
>> Leaving just some of them on because you've been there, seems more
>> wrong then leaving them all on.
>>

> And it can be a talking point. When someone asks have you been all those
> places? "Nah, just the bike". ANd then if inclined tell them it was
> cheaper to ship the bike while you stayed at home.

Yes, this one!
:-)
Chris

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Re: Well, that didn't last long

<tf7llh$3u4o6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11669&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11669

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 07:32:17 -0700
 by: Turby - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 14:32 UTC

On 9/6/2022 2:53 AM, ChrisND @UKRM wrote:
> On 06/09/2022 09:31, YTC#1 wrote:
>>>
>>> I would either take them all off or leave them all on.
>>>
>>> Leaving just some of them on because you've been there, seems more
>>> wrong then leaving them all on.
>>>

>> And it can be a talking point. When someone asks have you been all
>> those places? "Nah, just the bike". ANd then if inclined tell them it
>> was cheaper to ship the bike while you stayed at home.
>>
> Yes, this one!
> :-)

+1
Or I hired a man to do it for me.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Well, that didn't last long

<tf7rhe$3uom1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11670&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11670

From: bdp...@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 17:12:30 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 16:12 UTC

On 06/09/2022 15:32, Turby wrote:
> On 9/6/2022 2:53 AM, ChrisND @UKRM wrote:

>>> And it can be a talking point. When someone asks have you been all
>>> those places? "Nah, just the bike". ANd then if inclined tell them it
>>> was cheaper to ship the bike while you stayed at home.
>>>
>> Yes, this one!
>> :-)
>
> +1
> Or I hired a man to do it for me.

:-)

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Well, that didn't last long

<kh9fhh5lbgdaqgfigrlgoj5oaec8o99d3j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11673&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#11673

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 20:58:33 +0100
 by: Pipl - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 19:58 UTC

On Tue, 6 Sep 2022 09:31:28 +0100, YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 05/09/2022 20:45, Mark Olson wrote:

[ of stickers ]

>> Leaving just some of them on because you've been there, seems more
>> wrong then leaving them all on.
>>

>And it can be a talking point. When someone asks have you been all those
>places? "Nah, just the bike". ANd then if inclined tell them it was
>cheaper to ship the bike while you stayed at home.

Hah!

--

-Pip

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Well, that didn't last long