Let he who takes the plunge remember to return it by Tuesday.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Where is the power shortage near Berwick?

SubjectAuthor
* Where is the power shortage near Berwick?Tweed
+* Where is the power shortage near Berwick?Roland Perry
|`* Where is the power shortage near Berwick?ColinR
| `* Where is the power shortage near Berwick?Anna Noyd-Dryver
|  `- Where is the power shortage near Berwick?ColinR
`* Where is the power shortage near Berwick?Recliner
 `* Where is the power shortage near Berwick?Sam Wilson
  +- Where is the power shortage near Berwick?Recliner
  `- Where is the power shortage near Berwick?Anna Noyd-Dryver

1
Where is the power shortage near Berwick?

<s9l7mu$mjl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1037&group=uk.railway#1037

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Where is the power shortage near Berwick?
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 13:41:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ua5qUXTWEntLG8MwLL1BGFxiNyY=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 13:41 UTC

I was under the impression that there wasn’t enough capacity for
Transpennine 800 series trains to run under electric power in the Berwick
area, and they were being mandated to run as diesels. However I’ve just
seen one go over the Royal Border Bridge with its pantograph up. Has the
supply been strengthened, or is the problem elsewhere?

Re: Where is the power shortage near Berwick?

<SRUNVA+DLjvgFAhN@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1048&group=uk.railway#1048

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Where is the power shortage near Berwick?
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 15:52:51 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 14:52 UTC

In message <s9l7mu$mjl$1@dont-email.me>, at 13:41:51 on Mon, 7 Jun 2021,
Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>I was under the impression that there wasn’t enough capacity for
>Transpennine 800 series trains to run under electric power in the Berwick
>area, and they were being mandated to run as diesels. However I’ve just
>seen one go over the Royal Border Bridge with its pantograph up. Has the
>supply been strengthened, or is the problem elsewhere?

Or perhaps the driver was in error, or there's some dynamic quota[1]
which hadn't been exceeded.

[1] Back in the day, only five 4-car EMUs, and no locos, north of
Cambridge on the Fen Line.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Where is the power shortage near Berwick?

<s9ld5l$1ok$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1050&group=uk.railway#1050

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 15:15:01 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:2sWydhZH5ocYZh78czK7+4jozqc=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 15:15 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was under the impression that there wasn’t enough capacity for
> Transpennine 800 series trains to run under electric power in the Berwick
> area, and they were being mandated to run as diesels. However I’ve just
> seen one go over the Royal Border Bridge with its pantograph up. Has the
> supply been strengthened, or is the problem elsewhere?

Are all the LNER 800s back in service yet? If not, there may be less
juice needed at the moment?

Re: Where is the power shortage near Berwick?

<s9lk7g$o3u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1064&group=uk.railway#1064

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 17:15:28 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Q2Uwk7/EXINBQ74ACQEOj2hBuNk=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 17:15 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was under the impression that there wasn’t enough capacity for
>> Transpennine 800 series trains to run under electric power in the Berwick
>> area, and they were being mandated to run as diesels. However I’ve just
>> seen one go over the Royal Border Bridge with its pantograph up. Has the
>> supply been strengthened, or is the problem elsewhere?
>>

> Are all the LNER 800s back in service yet? If not, there may be less
> juice needed at the moment?

Why would there be a difference between LNER’s 80xs and TPE’s 80xs, except
that TPE’s are all 5-coach and LNER’s are 5- and 9-coach[*], so TPE’s ought
to be a smaller load anyway.

[*] And I haven’t noticed any LNER 5-coach trains around at all recently.
Looking at RTT for EDB today there seem to be two 10-coach formations and
one 5-coach all day - all the other LNER trains are 9-coach.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Where is the power shortage near Berwick?

<s9lov7$pf9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1068&group=uk.railway#1068

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 19:36:35 +0100
 by: ColinR - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 18:36 UTC

On 07/06/2021 15:52, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <s9l7mu$mjl$1@dont-email.me>, at 13:41:51 on Mon, 7 Jun 2021,
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>>
>> I was under the impression that there wasn’t enough capacity for
>> Transpennine 800 series trains to run under electric power in the Berwick
>> area, and they were being mandated to run as diesels. However I’ve just
>> seen one go over the Royal Border Bridge with its pantograph up. Has the
>> supply been strengthened, or is the problem elsewhere?
>
> Or perhaps the driver was in error, or there's some dynamic quota[1]
> which hadn't been exceeded.
>
> [1] Back in the day, only five 4-car EMUs, and no locos, north of
>     Cambridge on the Fen Line.

And similarly the direct Skipton - KX train was an HST as the power was
insufficient north of Leeds for an electric loco service, just EMUs. No
idea what rolling stock takes that duty now.

--
Colin

Re: Where is the power shortage near Berwick?

<s9lt61$p2u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1069&group=uk.railway#1069

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 19:48:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:cQ/Rd+hhy5qeRMYkbuK/DpGsWfA=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 19:48 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was under the impression that there wasn’t enough capacity for
>>> Transpennine 800 series trains to run under electric power in the Berwick
>>> area, and they were being mandated to run as diesels. However I’ve just
>>> seen one go over the Royal Border Bridge with its pantograph up. Has the
>>> supply been strengthened, or is the problem elsewhere?
>>>

>> Are all the LNER 800s back in service yet? If not, there may be less
>> juice needed at the moment?
>
> Why would there be a difference between LNER’s 80xs and TPE’s 80xs, except
> that TPE’s are all 5-coach and LNER’s are 5- and 9-coach[*], so TPE’s ought
> to be a smaller load anyway.

I mean that there are fewer electric trains running, so more juice
available for those that are.

Re: Where is the power shortage near Berwick?

<s9me6g$2q2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1077&group=uk.railway#1077

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 00:38:40 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:c0HWaYE/SPa5lEKXSd3SjlRRk48=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 00:38 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was under the impression that there wasn’t enough capacity for
>>> Transpennine 800 series trains to run under electric power in the Berwick
>>> area, and they were being mandated to run as diesels. However I’ve just
>>> seen one go over the Royal Border Bridge with its pantograph up. Has the
>>> supply been strengthened, or is the problem elsewhere?
>>>

>> Are all the LNER 800s back in service yet? If not, there may be less
>> juice needed at the moment?
>
> Why would there be a difference between LNER’s 80xs and TPE’s 80xs, except
> that TPE’s are all 5-coach and LNER’s are 5- and 9-coach[*], so TPE’s ought
> to be a smaller load anyway.

Probably because LNER have been using the wires for years and TPE are the
newcomers in that respect; or that the LNER train will be using the wires
throughout, while the TPE will be on diesel for at least part of the
journey; or that the entire TPE fleet have diesel engines where only part
of the LNER fleet do, so set swaps can’t cause confusion.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Where is the power shortage near Berwick?

<s9me6h$2q2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1078&group=uk.railway#1078

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 00:38:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lN46bTDFN4TKEULgqogl6RJzjdM=

ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:
> On 07/06/2021 15:52, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <s9l7mu$mjl$1@dont-email.me>, at 13:41:51 on Mon, 7 Jun 2021,
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>>>
>>> I was under the impression that there wasn’t enough capacity for
>>> Transpennine 800 series trains to run under electric power in the Berwick
>>> area, and they were being mandated to run as diesels. However I’ve just
>>> seen one go over the Royal Border Bridge with its pantograph up. Has the
>>> supply been strengthened, or is the problem elsewhere?
>>
>> Or perhaps the driver was in error, or there's some dynamic quota[1]
>> which hadn't been exceeded.
>>
>> [1] Back in the day, only five 4-car EMUs, and no locos, north of
>>     Cambridge on the Fen Line.
>
> And similarly the direct Skipton - KX train was an HST as the power was
> insufficient north of Leeds for an electric loco service, just EMUs. No
> idea what rolling stock takes that duty now.

IETs; the power supply there was upgraded several years ago in any case,
IIRC.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Where is the power shortage near Berwick?

<s9ooc2$65h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1167&group=uk.railway#1167

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 22:44:46 +0100
 by: ColinR - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 21:44 UTC

On 08/06/2021 01:38, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
> ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 07/06/2021 15:52, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <s9l7mu$mjl$1@dont-email.me>, at 13:41:51 on Mon, 7 Jun 2021,
>>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Or perhaps the driver was in error, or there's some dynamic quota[1]
>>> which hadn't been exceeded.
>>>
>>> [1] Back in the day, only five 4-car EMUs, and no locos, north of
>>>     Cambridge on the Fen Line.
>>
>> And similarly the direct Skipton - KX train was an HST as the power was
>> insufficient north of Leeds for an electric loco service, just EMUs. No
>> idea what rolling stock takes that duty now.
>>

> IETs; the power supply there was upgraded several years ago in any case,
> IIRC.
>

> Anna Noyd-Dryver

Thanks