From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Bougainvillea over wintering
Date: 18 Jul 2021 18:42:00 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 18:42 UTC

We once had a Bougainvillea which lasted many years.

More recently, they only seem to last one season.
Or at least, that is what we thought.

They retained their leaves through the winter (living outside on a
sheltered South facing deck under a plastic roof) but then dropped all
leaves in Spring and then seemed totally dead.

This year we set off for 6 weeks holiday at the very end of May and left
them outside in their pots (because there might be a tiny hint of a bud)
and when we came back there were leaves.

The newest previous year's growth was very dead but the base of the plant
seems to be doing fine.

I'm now wondering if we have thrown away viable plants because they seemed
dead.

Anyone else experience this?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Bougainvillea over wintering

<sd3j3r$1css$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1168&group=uk.rec.gardening#1168

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Bougainvillea over wintering
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 11:11:05 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 10:11 UTC

On 18/07/2021 19:42, David wrote:
> We once had a Bougainvillea which lasted many years.
>
> More recently, they only seem to last one season.
> Or at least, that is what we thought.
>
> They retained their leaves through the winter (living outside on a
> sheltered South facing deck under a plastic roof) but then dropped all
> leaves in Spring and then seemed totally dead.
>
> This year we set off for 6 weeks holiday at the very end of May and left
> them outside in their pots (because there might be a tiny hint of a bud)
> and when we came back there were leaves.
>
> The newest previous year's growth was very dead but the base of the plant
> seems to be doing fine.
>
> I'm now wondering if we have thrown away viable plants because they seemed
> dead.
>

> Anyone else experience this?

It is always worth keeping seemingly dead plants for a season if you
have the space. Plenty of things that have apparently died during the
winter will come back from the roots if given a chance to do it.

I have the odd non-hardy fuschia left outdoors over winter just
beginning to show new shoots up from the ground now it is good and warm.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown