A man is not complete until he is married -- then he is finished.

aus+uk / aus.tv / Re: Annoying daily reminder.

SubjectAuthor
* Annoying daily reminder.Peter Jason
+* Re: Annoying daily reminder.Computer Nerd Kev
|`* Re: Annoying daily reminder.Peter Jason
| `* Re: Annoying daily reminder.Computer Nerd Kev
|  `* Re: Annoying daily reminder.Peter Jason
|   `- Re: Annoying daily reminder.Computer Nerd Kev
`* Re: Annoying daily reminder.Sylvia Else
 `* Re: Annoying daily reminder.Peter Jason
  `* Re: Annoying daily reminder.Sylvia Else
   `* Re: Annoying daily reminder.Peter Jason
    `- Re: Annoying daily reminder.Sylvia Else

1
Annoying daily reminder.

<ei4vah9jukb138fss4edvrfp8ea4o6u09g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=116&group=aus.tv#116

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Subject: Annoying daily reminder.
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 07:22:31 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 21:22 UTC

I have the same old 15 Y/O digital SONY TV.

I had the TV mast & aerial replaced months ago.

It all works just fine.

The installers pointed the aerial to a "repeater" in the city, since I
live there.

I'm getting this pestiferous popup every evening telling me to upgrade
the channel list. I get rid of it with the remote.

Is there any way to just get rid of it permeably? Who should I
contact?

Re: Annoying daily reminder.

<62afacd2@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117&group=aus.tv#117

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Subject: Re: Annoying daily reminder.
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: 20 Jun 2022 09:10:10 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 23:10 UTC

Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
> I have the same old 15 Y/O digital SONY TV.
>
> I had the TV mast & aerial replaced months ago.
>
> It all works just fine.
>
> The installers pointed the aerial to a "repeater" in the city, since I
> live there.
>
> I'm getting this pestiferous popup every evening telling me to upgrade
> the channel list. I get rid of it with the remote.
>
> Is there any way to just get rid of it permeably?

You don't want to just update the channel list then, presumably
what most systems call scanning for new channels?

If you don't want to do that (granted on my set top boxes it
usually messes things up so I don't do it much either, they don't
nag me though) and there's no option in the settings to disable it
looking for new channels in the background, then I guess you're
stuck with the nags.

> Who should I contact?

No idea, except if there's no settings to change, then I guess
someone to sell you a different TV, or a set-top box to use
instead of its own tuner?

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Annoying daily reminder.

<vebvahh2ld7k6g7u3h7eb29rjsong1qoau@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=118&group=aus.tv#118

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 09:16:16 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 23:16 UTC

On 20 Jun 2022 09:10:10 +1000, not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd
Kev) wrote:

>Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
>> I have the same old 15 Y/O digital SONY TV.
>>
>> I had the TV mast & aerial replaced months ago.
>>
>> It all works just fine.
>>
>> The installers pointed the aerial to a "repeater" in the city, since I
>> live there.
>>
>> I'm getting this pestiferous popup every evening telling me to upgrade
>> the channel list. I get rid of it with the remote.
>>
>> Is there any way to just get rid of it permeably?
>
>You don't want to just update the channel list then, presumably
>what most systems call scanning for new channels?

I do this occasionally, but the message appears every night.

>If you don't want to do that (granted on my set top boxes it
>usually messes things up so I don't do it much either, they don't
>nag me though) and there's no option in the settings to disable it
>looking for new channels in the background, then I guess you're
>stuck with the nags.
>
>> Who should I contact?
>
>No idea, except if there's no settings to change, then I guess
>someone to sell you a different TV, or a set-top box to use
>instead of its own tuner?

I do run the TV through the PVR (Panasonic).

Re: Annoying daily reminder.

<62afc038@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=119&group=aus.tv#119

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: 20 Jun 2022 10:32:56 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 00:32 UTC

Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
> On 20 Jun 2022 09:10:10 +1000, not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd
> Kev) wrote:
>>Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
>>> I'm getting this pestiferous popup every evening telling me to upgrade
>>> the channel list. I get rid of it with the remote.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to just get rid of it permeably?
>>[snip]
>>> Who should I contact?
>>
>>No idea, except if there's no settings to change, then I guess
>>someone to sell you a different TV, or a set-top box to use
>>instead of its own tuner?
>
> I do run the TV through the PVR (Panasonic).

Is the TV connected to the aerial then, or just via the PVR?

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Annoying daily reminder.

<rohvahh744pml5nqcvqfjpjh7cstqvfcq7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=120&group=aus.tv#120

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:03:06 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 01:03 UTC

On 20 Jun 2022 10:32:56 +1000, Computer Nerd Kev
<not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

>Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
>> On 20 Jun 2022 09:10:10 +1000, not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd
>> Kev) wrote:

>>>[snip]
>>>
>>>No idea, except if there's no settings to change, then I guess
>>>someone to sell you a different TV, or a set-top box to use
>>>instead of its own tuner?
>>
>> I do run the TV through the PVR (Panasonic).
>
>Is the TV connected to the aerial then, or just via the PVR?

The aerial is connected to the TV via the PVR. I record almost
everything.

Re: Annoying daily reminder.

<62afe585@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=121&group=aus.tv#121

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: 20 Jun 2022 13:12:05 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 03:12 UTC

Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:
> On 20 Jun 2022 10:32:56 +1000, Computer Nerd Kev
> <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:
>>Peter Jason <pj@jostle.com> wrote:

>>> I do run the TV through the PVR (Panasonic).
>>
>>Is the TV connected to the aerial then, or just via the PVR?
>
> The aerial is connected to the TV via the PVR. I record almost
> everything.

Sometimes the aerial pass-through on devices like PVRs only works
when the device is turned on. Perhaps your TV loses signal when
the PVR is turned off and that's when it thinks the list of
available channels has changed (to none)? You could try using a
separate splitter or booster to feed the PVR and TV from the aerial
independently.

You'd probably notice not having signal if you tune in via the TV
directly when the PVR is off. If you only ever tune into channels
using the PVR, perhaps you could simply disconnect the TV's aerial
connection and then it will never see any channels at all.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Annoying daily reminder.

<jha9h6FgraU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122&group=aus.tv#122

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:57:26 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 03:57 UTC

On 20-June-22 7:22 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> I have the same old 15 Y/O digital SONY TV.
>
> I had the TV mast & aerial replaced months ago.
>
> It all works just fine.
>
> The installers pointed the aerial to a "repeater" in the city, since I
> live there.
>
> I'm getting this pestiferous popup every evening telling me to upgrade
> the channel list. I get rid of it with the remote.
>
> Is there any way to just get rid of it permeably? Who should I
> contact?

It's presumably noticed that the channels it currently lists is not the
same as the list of channels available. If you do as it says, that will
no doubt shut it up.

Sylvia.

Re: Annoying daily reminder.

<6io1bhlvrriq6lvkjafvagrklg1t70jjd6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=123&group=aus.tv#123

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 07:12:05 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 21:12 UTC

On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:57:26 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
wrote:

>On 20-June-22 7:22 am, Peter Jason wrote:
>> I have the same old 15 Y/O digital SONY TV.
>>
>> I had the TV mast & aerial replaced months ago.
>>
>> It all works just fine.
>>
>> The installers pointed the aerial to a "repeater" in the city, since I
>> live there.
>>
>> I'm getting this pestiferous popup every evening telling me to upgrade
>> the channel list. I get rid of it with the remote.
>>
>> Is there any way to just get rid of it permeably? Who should I
>> contact?
>>

>It's presumably noticed that the channels it currently lists is not the
>same as the list of channels available. If you do as it says, that will
>no doubt shut it up.
>
>Sylvia.

I've surrender to its requests many times, but its obdurate. Perhaps
it's noticing one of the favorites lists and uses one of those. I
may have to redo these.

Re: Annoying daily reminder.

<jhcpfnFd1fpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=124&group=aus.tv#124

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:41:59 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 02:41 UTC

On 21-June-22 7:12 am, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:57:26 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 20-June-22 7:22 am, Peter Jason wrote:
>>> I have the same old 15 Y/O digital SONY TV.
>>>
>>> I had the TV mast & aerial replaced months ago.
>>>
>>> It all works just fine.
>>>
>>> The installers pointed the aerial to a "repeater" in the city, since I
>>> live there.
>>>
>>> I'm getting this pestiferous popup every evening telling me to upgrade
>>> the channel list. I get rid of it with the remote.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to just get rid of it permeably? Who should I
>>> contact?
>>>

>> It's presumably noticed that the channels it currently lists is not the
>> same as the list of channels available. If you do as it says, that will
>> no doubt shut it up.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> I've surrender to its requests many times, but its obdurate. Perhaps
> it's noticing one of the favorites lists and uses one of those. I
> may have to redo these.

What's the model number?

Sylvia.

Re: Annoying daily reminder.

<n6e2bh1qf9ep6sa03sb0r3visfkenksb9s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125&group=aus.tv#125

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:23:02 +1000
 by: Peter Jason - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 03:23 UTC

On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:41:59 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
wrote:

>On 21-June-22 7:12 am, Peter Jason wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:57:26 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> It's presumably noticed that the channels it currently lists is not the
>>> same as the list of channels available. If you do as it says, that will
>>> no doubt shut it up.
>>>
>>> Sylvia.
>>
>> I've surrender to its requests many times, but its obdurate. Perhaps
>> it's noticing one of the favorites lists and uses one of those. I
>> may have to redo these.
>
>What's the model number?
>
>Sylvia.

The PVR is..
PANASONIC DMR-PWT540GL

The TV is..
Sony BRAVIA KDL-40XBR

They're both a bit ancient.

Re: Annoying daily reminder.

<jhcsd9Fdfj8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126&group=aus.tv#126

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 13:31:52 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 03:31 UTC

On 21-June-22 1:23 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:41:59 +1000, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 21-June-22 7:12 am, Peter Jason wrote:

>>> I've surrender to its requests many times, but its obdurate. Perhaps
>>> it's noticing one of the favorites lists and uses one of those. I
>>> may have to redo these.
>>
>> What's the model number?
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> The PVR is..
> PANASONIC DMR-PWT540GL
>
> The TV is..
> Sony BRAVIA KDL-40XBR
>
> They're both a bit ancient.

I thought the manual might be enlightening, but it's not.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/3217/32172841M.pdf

Make sure you do a full scan rather than a quick scan.

Failing that, you could try an "All Reset" on page 38 (which will clear
your favourites, amongst other things).

Sylvia.