From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: General purpose compost - revisited no doubt
Date: 18 Jul 2021 18:05:30 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 18:05 UTC

Just opened up some general purpose compost (two different brands) and
they both look like the stuff the tip used to sell, made from the
composted vegetation dumped at the tip.

It is coarse grained and fibrous and doesn't seem to have any loam, grit,
sand or anything to make it a little finer in texture.

Fine for established plants, but I thought general purpose meant that it
could scrape by as seed, cutting and potting compost.

It is about a year since I potted anything up so this is last year's stock
(which is not ideal) but should be OK(ish).

I just can't remember when the make up changed.
Is this all due to going peat free?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: General purpose compost - revisited no doubt

<iljal3Fi409U8@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1164&group=uk.rec.gardening#1164

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: General purpose compost - revisited no doubt
Date: 18 Jul 2021 18:36:19 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 18:36 UTC

On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 18:05:30 +0000, David wrote:

> Just opened up some general purpose compost (two different brands) and
> they both look like the stuff the tip used to sell, made from the
> composted vegetation dumped at the tip.
>
> It is coarse grained and fibrous and doesn't seem to have any loam,
> grit, sand or anything to make it a little finer in texture.
>
> Fine for established plants, but I thought general purpose meant that it
> could scrape by as seed, cutting and potting compost.
>
> It is about a year since I potted anything up so this is last year's
> stock (which is not ideal) but should be OK(ish).
>
> I just can't remember when the make up changed.
> Is this all due to going peat free?

Noting that I've just turned up the bin end of a bag of top soil and
another of JI3.

I have tended to make up a standard mix of general purpose compost,
farmyard manure, and topsoil/JI3 with added Growmore and chicken compost
for larger plants/shrubs/trees which seems to work well.

This may have stopped me noticing the lack of fine stuff in the GP compost
from the sheds.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: General purpose compost - revisited no doubt

<sd415h$pfq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1171&group=uk.rec.gardening#1171

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 14:10:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 14:10 UTC

In article <ilj8raFi409U7@mid.individual.net>,
David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>Just opened up some general purpose compost (two different brands) and
>they both look like the stuff the tip used to sell, made from the
>composted vegetation dumped at the tip.
>
>It is coarse grained and fibrous and doesn't seem to have any loam, grit,
>sand or anything to make it a little finer in texture.
>
>Fine for established plants, but I thought general purpose meant that it
>could scrape by as seed, cutting and potting compost.
>
>It is about a year since I potted anything up so this is last year's stock
>(which is not ideal) but should be OK(ish).
>
>I just can't remember when the make up changed.
>Is this all due to going peat free?

No. Most of it is large and unscrupulous companies taking over smaller,
better ones. I make up my own compost (50% compost from the heap, 50%
soil, which is a sandy loam), but used to buy John Innes type seed
composts. Unfortunately, Westland dominate the market around here, and
their seed compost is simply very fine sand and some chemicals; I used
to buy JA Bowers but, since Westland took thhem over, it has become
almost as bad. Neither match the JI specification, not even remotely,
and the germination rates in both are dire. I now make seed compost
from 50% microwaved soil, and 50% coir fibre, which seems to work well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.