Give me chastity and continence, but not just now. -- St. Augustine

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

SubjectAuthor
* [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexySpike
+* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexysoup
|+* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyJNugent
||+* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexycharles
|||+- Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyJNugent
|||`* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyJethro_uk
||| +- Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexycharles
||| `- Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyJNugent
||`- Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyalan_m
|`* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyNY
| +- Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyTim Streater
| `* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyJohn Miller
|  +- Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyJNugent
|  +* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyTim Streater
|  |`* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyNY
|  | `- Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexycharles
|  `* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyNY
|   +* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyJNugent
|   |`- Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyNY
|   `- Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexySpike
+* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexySpike
|`* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyTim+
| `* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyJNugent
|  `- Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyThe Natural Philosopher
`* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyBrian Gaff
 +* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyNY
 |`* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyRod Speed
 | `- Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Peeler
 +* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyRod Speed
 |`- Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!Peeler
 `* Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexyAndy Burns
  `- Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexySteveW

Pages:12
[Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<l2kba3Fod6qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117149&group=uk.d-i-y#117149

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy
Date: 8 Feb 2024 15:46:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 15:46 UTC

“Can’t wait for speed limits at the next F1 race in Vegas”: Cyclists and
motorists baffled by new “April Fools” 20mph time trial rules

THU, FEB 08, 2024 10:47

So, it appears that yesterday’s story on Cycling Time Trials’ reaction to
the increasingly widespread implementation of 20mph speed limits in
built-up areas – which includes forcing participants to slow to the
required 20mph during those particular sections – has elicited quite the
reaction online.

For those who missed it – CTT, the governing body for that classically
British, self-loathing discipline of racing your bike solo against nothing
but a clock, this week issued new guidance advising those taking part in
its time trials to adhere to new 20mph speed limits, and any other rule of
the road, following the default implementation of these reduced zones in
Wales, as well as other parts of England, last year.

CTT’s guidance also stipulated that any course with a lengthy 20mph section
should not be used if a viable alternative is available, due to concerns
over safety for participants and other road users, along with the risk of
causing “public outrage” which, CTT says, could put the future of time
trialling in Britain in jeopardy.

And how did the internet react to this new safety-oriented, anti-“public
outrage” measure? By checking the calendar, apparently.

This is either a joke, or the world really has gone mad. Next, rugby
players must wear bubble wrap onesies,” said Joe.

“This rubbish is contagious! Time to come to our senses!!” exclaimed Paul,
representing the rather odd, sparsely populated central part of the Venn
diagram of cyclists and those opposed to reduced speed limits.

“Emailed dropped into my inbox last night. I found the position hilarious.
Granted it makes sense but just don’t run TTs on 20mph roads and all good,”
said an amused cycling lawyer Rory McCarron.

“Why? There is no speed limit for bicycles on Britain's roads,” Adabadang
wrote on Twitter, summing up the general attitude of the non-TTing cyclist.

Pointing out the difficulty of enforcing these measures, Shit Cycling Shots
wrote: “Marshalls with speed guns in every village? Good luck enforcing
this one!”

Others noted the irony of forcing cyclists, during a race, to adhere to a
speed limit apparently, ahem, often ignored by other road users.

“Maybe the weekend before the event they should do a speed check on cars in
any 20 limit they pass through. Max speed for riders is the highest
recorded by a car,” said Stuart.

“Tell drivers to stick to it then you have a deal,” agreed Sebastian, with
Dan describing the measure as “kowtowing to the anti-cycling mob”.

“Can’t wait for speed limits at the next F1 race in Vegas,” wrote the
Entitled Cyclist, while Eamonn said: “Schrodinger’s Cyclist. Going too fast
while simultaneously going too slow and delaying the all-important
drivers.”

On the more extreme end of the reaction spectrum, one Facebook user, Shaun,
however, reckons time trialling shouldn’t even take place on a road, never
mind a 20mph section.

“If you want to TT, get a road closure or do it on a track. Sport shouldn't
take place on the public highway. I'm a cyclist by the way,” says ‘cyclist’
Shaun.

Some, meanwhile, used the guidance to pitch their own, groundbreaking
vision for the future of time trialling in the UK.

“They should do the whole route on 20mph roads and disqualify anyone who is
even a tiny bit over 20mph average,” said cat-owning cyclist Travis (and
Sigrid, I suppose), while Phil described the new world of time trialling as
an “acceleration test”.

“Or a time trial in the truest sense of the term. Getting from A to B as
close to an allotted time as possible,” said Farrell.

Now, that is a time trial I could get behind…

[This article, and other ‘news’, at the link below]

<https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-8-february-2024-306641#live-blog-item-54767>

--
Spike

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<uq36td$231b1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117189&group=uk.d-i-y#117189

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:35:11 +0000
 by: soup - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 18:35 UTC

On 08/02/2024 15:46, Spike wrote:

> “Can’t wait for speed limits at the next F1 race in Vegas”: Cyclists and
> motorists baffled by new “April Fools” 20mph time trial rules

But F1 is raced on a track.
Cycle time trials take place on 'public roads'.
Apples to Oranges again.

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<l2kmobFqdakU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117193&group=uk.d-i-y#117193

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Feb 2024 19:01:31 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 19:01 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:

Apologies…wrong group.

--
Spike

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<1586458619.729113001.032808.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117196&group=uk.d-i-y#117196

From: timdowni...@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 8 Feb 2024 19:24:05 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Thu, 8 Feb 2024 19:24 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:
> Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:
>
> Apologies…wrong group.

Try telling that to all the Bexiteers and climate change deniers.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<l2ndbbFa4mjU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117279&group=uk.d-i-y#117279

From: jnugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:39:23 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:39 UTC

On 08/02/2024 06:35 pm, soup wrote:

> On 08/02/2024 15:46, Spike wrote:
>>
>> “Can’t wait for speed limits at the next F1 race in Vegas”: Cyclists and
>> motorists baffled by new “April Fools” 20mph time trial rules
>
> But F1 is raced on a track.

> Cycle time trials take place on 'public roads'.

> Apples to Oranges again.

As in Monaco (and as used to be the case in Birmingham) the motor race
in Las Vegas takes place on public roads.

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<l2ndcsFa4mjU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117280&group=uk.d-i-y#117280

From: jnugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:40:12 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:40 UTC

On 08/02/2024 07:24 pm, Tim+ wrote:

> Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:
>> Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Apologies…wrong group.
>>

> Try telling that to all the Bexiteers and climate change deniers.

Don#t they just respond when their opponents post on those subjects?

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<5b3034cdcccharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117288&group=uk.d-i-y#117288

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 24 23:16:14 UTC
From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 23:16 UTC

In article <l2ndbbFa4mjU3@mid.individual.net>,
JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:
> On 08/02/2024 06:35 pm, soup wrote:

> > On 08/02/2024 15:46, Spike wrote:
> >>
> >> ”Can‘t wait for speed limits at the next F1 race in Vegas•: Cyclists and
> >> motorists baffled by new ”April Fools• 20mph time trial rules
> >
> > But F1 is raced on a track.

> > Cycle time trials take place on 'public roads'.

> > Apples to Oranges again.

> As in Monaco (and as used to be the case in Birmingham) the motor race
> in Las Vegas takes place on public roads.

but, the roads are closed to the public at the time of therace.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<l2o0lgFdim8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117290&group=uk.d-i-y#117290

From: jnugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 01:09:04 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 01:09 UTC

On 09/02/2024 11:16 pm, charles wrote:

> JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:

>>> But F1 is raced on a track.
>
>>> Cycle time trials take place on 'public roads'.
>>> Apples to Oranges again.
>
>> As in Monaco (and as used to be the case in Birmingham) the motor race
>> in Las Vegas takes place on public roads.
>
> but, the roads are closed to the public at the time of therace.

....and?

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<uq6kmm$2sevp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117291&group=uk.d-i-y#117291

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 01:49:09 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 01:49 UTC

On 09/02/2024 19:40, JNugent wrote:
> On 08/02/2024 07:24 pm, Tim+ wrote:
>
>> Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:
>>> Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Apologies…wrong group.
>>>

>> Try telling that to all the Bexiteers and climate change deniers.
>
> Don#t they just respond when their opponents post on those subjects?
These days we ignore them as insignificant relics of swivel eyed
parochial Guardian reading Luddites.
The world has moved on, and even This Queer Harmer has dropped his plans
for a Utopia based on Windmills fairy tales and Unicorn farts.

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<uq7eul$2k7an$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117299&group=uk.d-i-y#117299

From: jethro...@hotmailbin.com (Jethro_uk)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 09:17:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jethro_uk - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 09:17 UTC

On Fri, 09 Feb 2024 23:16:14 +0000, charles wrote:

> In article <l2ndbbFa4mjU3@mid.individual.net>,
> JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:

Cyclists

>> > But F1 is raced on a track.
>
>> > Cycle time trials take place on 'public roads'.
>
>> > Apples to Oranges again.
>
>> As in Monaco (and as used to be the case in Birmingham) the motor race
>> in Las Vegas takes place on public roads.
>
> but, the roads are closed to the public at the time of therace.

Don't I fucking know it.

12 hours barricaded in our home one Sunday in 2018 when the "velo" went
past the end of the road. 50_+ miles of *public* road given over to a
private ("velo" were a for profit company) company to make money from
without a single person being consulted. The only positive being that
Birmingham Council had to clear away the uncollected rubbish from the
ongoing bin strike so residents caught on and put all their waste out.

The next year they tried the same stunt again, and up and down the course
locals put nails & glass.

Then 2020 and "velo" went bust. Thank goodness.

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<l2p31eFjf07U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117303&group=uk.d-i-y#117303

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 10:55:42 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 10:55 UTC

On 09/02/2024 19:39, JNugent wrote:
> On 08/02/2024 06:35 pm, soup wrote:
>
>> On 08/02/2024 15:46, Spike wrote:
>>>
>>> “Can’t wait for speed limits at the next F1 race in Vegas”: Cyclists and
>>> motorists baffled by new “April Fools” 20mph time trial rules
>>
>> But F1 is raced on a track.
>
>> Cycle time trials take place on 'public roads'.
>
>> Apples to Oranges again.
>
> As in Monaco (and as used to be the case in Birmingham) the motor race
> in Las Vegas takes place on public roads.

And the F1 cars have to avoid all the other public cars and bicycles on
the same roads at the same time.

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<5b307b4e34charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117306&group=uk.d-i-y#117306

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 24 12:01:08 UTC
From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 12:01 UTC

In article <uq7eul$2k7an$4@dont-email.me>,
Jethro_uk <jethro_uk@hotmailbin.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Feb 2024 23:16:14 +0000, charles wrote:

> > In article <l2ndbbFa4mjU3@mid.individual.net>,
> > JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:

> Cyclists

> >> As in Monaco (and as used to be the case in Birmingham) the motor race
> >> in Las Vegas takes place on public roads.
> >
> > but, the roads are closed to the public at the time of therace.

> Don't I fucking know it.

> 12 hours barricaded in our home one Sunday in 2018 when the "velo" went
> past the end of the road. 50_+ miles of *public* road given over to a
> private ("velo" were a for profit company) company to make money from
> without a single person being consulted. The only positive being that
> Birmingham Council had to clear away the uncollected rubbish from the
> ongoing bin strike so residents caught on and put all their waste out.

> The next year they tried the same stunt again, and up and down the course
> locals put nails & glass.

> Then 2020 and "velo" went bust. Thank goodness.

Gosh, weren;t you lucky. This village had the Olympic Cycle race, First a
trial the year before and then 10 years of "Ride London". Weddings had to
be resheduled, ambulances couldn't get to patients, care homes isolated
both for staff & visitors, etc. Wew still have the cyclists - but only in
comparativedly small groups.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<uqaerj$vfb2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117373&group=uk.d-i-y#117373

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 12:33:54 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 12:33 UTC

I used to think that the call for horse riders to have personal airbags was
a hoax, but apparently these do exist, triggered by a short lanyard attached
to the saddle.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Spike" <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> vision for the future of time trialling in the UK.
>
> "They should do the whole route on 20mph roads and disqualify anyone who
> is
> even a tiny bit over 20mph average," said cat-owning cyclist Travis (and
> Sigrid, I suppose), while Phil described the new world of time trialling
> as
> an "acceleration test".
>
> "Or a time trial in the truest sense of the term. Getting from A to B as
> close to an allotted time as possible," said Farrell.
>
> Now, that is a time trial I could get behind.
>
> [This article, and other 'news', at the link below]
>
> <https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-8-february-2024-306641#live-blog-item-54767>
>
> --
> Spike

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<yJWcnaVHmZpn2FT4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117413&group=uk.d-i-y#117413

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 22:11:06 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 22:11 UTC

On 11/02/2024 12:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I used to think that the call for horse riders to have personal airbags was
> a hoax, but apparently these do exist, triggered by a short lanyard attached
> to the saddle.

I can imagine that they may help prevent spinal injuries for
horse-riders who ride across country, jumping hedges etc - eg hunting
horses.

Maybe one day we'll see all horse-racing jockeys required to wear
airbags, especially for jump racing such as the Grand National ;-)

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<op.2iz02ghxbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117414&group=uk.d-i-y#117414

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 09:36:06 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 22:36 UTC

NY <me@privacy.net> wrote
> Brian Gaff wrote

>> I used to think that the call for horse riders tohave personal airbags
>> was a hoax, but apparentlythese do exist, triggered by a short
>> lanyard attached
>> to the saddle.

> I can imagine that they may help prevent spinalinjuries for
> horse-riders who ride across country,jumping hedges etc - eg hunting
> horses.

Not just those, horses are very flighty
animals and plenty get thrown when the
horse gets startled and when the horse bolts.

And plenty of riders get injured when the horse
falls on them, but its hard to see that the lanyard
approach would work in that situation.

> Maybe one day we'll see all horse-racing jockeys required to wear
> airbags, especially for jump racing such as the Grand National ;-)

Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<l%byN.319937$7sbb.28042@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117415&group=uk.d-i-y#117415

From: trollt...@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Subject: Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 23:37:16 +0100
 by: Peeler - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 22:37 UTC

On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 09:36:06 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<op.2iz1alzibyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117416&group=uk.d-i-y#117416

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 09:40:59 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 22:40 UTC

Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote

> I used to think that the call for horse riders to havepersonal airbags
> was a hoax, but apparently these doexist, triggered by a short
> lanyard attached to the saddle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_bag_vest

Re: Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

<B8cyN.444174$83n7.9958@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117417&group=uk.d-i-y#117417

From: trollt...@valid.invalid (Peeler)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 23:47:08 +0100
 by: Peeler - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 22:47 UTC

On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 09:40:59 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Pomegranate Bastard addressing the trolling senile cretin from Oz:
"Surely you can find an Australian group to pollute rather than posting
your unwanted guff here."
MID: <c1pqvgte5ldlo1rn3fpl7igtg4h8i9mk7p@4ax.com>

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<l2ua28Fj0jiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117430&group=uk.d-i-y#117430

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 10:26:17 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 10:26 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> I used to think that the call for horse riders to have personal airbags was
> a hoax, but apparently these do exist, triggered by a short lanyard attached
> to the saddle.

Motorbikes can have similar, so I doubt they're a hoax ...

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<uqdesu$1jjcs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117459&group=uk.d-i-y#117459

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:53:01 +0000
 by: SteveW - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:53 UTC

On 12/02/2024 10:26, Andy Burns wrote:
> Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> I used to think that the call for horse riders to have personal
>> airbags was
>> a hoax, but apparently these do exist, triggered by a short lanyard
>> attached
>> to the saddle.
>
> Motorbikes can have similar, so I doubt they're a hoax ...

There are even airbags for people on foot, but mainly intended to
protect those that are unsteady on their feet. Worn like a belt (or a
jacket), if it detects the movement of falling over, it inflates,
including a hood that pops up and over the head (some only protect the
hips and coccyx) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Eb9t6VKf4&t=17s

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<l325vuFaoopU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=117570&group=uk.d-i-y#117570

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 15:41:41 -0600
 by: JNugent - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 21:41 UTC

On 10/02/2024 03:17, Jethro_uk wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Feb 2024 23:16:14 +0000, charles wrote:
>
>> In article <l2ndbbFa4mjU3@mid.individual.net>,
>> JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:

> Cyclists

>>> As in Monaco (and as used to be the case in Birmingham) the motor race
>>> in Las Vegas takes place on public roads.
>>
>> but, the roads are closed to the public at the time of therace.
>
> Don't I fucking know it.
>
> 12 hours barricaded in our home one Sunday in 2018 when the "velo" went
> past the end of the road. 50_+ miles of *public* road given over to a
> private ("velo" were a for profit company) company to make money from
> without a single person being consulted. The only positive being that
> Birmingham Council had to clear away the uncollected rubbish from the
> ongoing bin strike so residents caught on and put all their waste out.
>
> The next year they tried the same stunt again, and up and down the course
> locals put nails & glass.
>
> Then 2020 and "velo" went bust. Thank goodness.

+1, without a doubt.

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<Nc-cnY5nUeu0q374nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=118784&group=uk.d-i-y#118784

Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 14:22:33 +0000
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: NY - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 14:22 UTC

On 08/02/2024 18:35, soup wrote:
> On 08/02/2024 15:46, Spike wrote:
>>
>> “Can’t wait for speed limits at the next F1 race in Vegas”: Cyclists and
>> motorists baffled by new “April Fools” 20mph time trial rules
>
> But F1 is raced on a track.
> Cycle time trials take place on 'public roads'.
> Apples to Oranges again.

Does doing time trials on a public road constitute "racing [against your
previous times] on the public highway"? Ah, I forgot: cyclists think
that any HC rule which is inconvenient to them can be ignored...

I wish the Highway Code would be strengthened so every relevant rule
that applies to motor vehicles also applied to bicycles: speed limits,
one-way streets, overtaking on the left, traffic lights, occupied zebra
crossings. Yes, motorists don't always adhere to those rules, but when
they don't, their registration number means that they stand a fair
chance of being prosecuted.

I am probably fairly unusual that I cycle as if I were a human-powered
car with visible number-plates, in terms of the laws that I adhere to.

I am very much opposed to races, whether car or bicycle, on public
roads. Sure, they are closed for the race, but my point is that they
shouldn't be closed: they are there for the public to use, not (even for
a few hours) for the exclusive use of racers.

And not all bicycle races close roads. I got stuck behind a bicycle race
as I was going home and they went so slowly up a 1:4 hill that my car
wanted to go faster than them in first gear. (*) Once I realised that, I
stopped and waited till they had all reached the top, so I could go up
at a sensible speed which did not need me to slip my clutch. Even on
flat sections, they took up the whole width of the road, with a car
preceding them and one following to block traffic and shepherd it to
stop. That race was probably illegal. When I complained to the
organiser, I had an apologetic reply saying that everyone who lived
along the route should have been notified, and "road closed" /
"diversion" signs should have been posted. I was not the first person to
report that this had not been done. I imagine the marshals got a bollocking.

(*) Having seen Tour de Yorkshire races on TV, I was expecting this lot
to go up at superhuman speeds like the TdY racers, but they weren't
quite as fit.

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<l4hb72F8rj0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=118843&group=uk.d-i-y#118843

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 2 Mar 2024 18:58:42 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 18:58 UTC

On 2 Mar 2024 at 14:22:33 GMT, "NY" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> On 08/02/2024 18:35, soup wrote:
>> On 08/02/2024 15:46, Spike wrote:
>>>
>>> “Can’t wait for speed limits at the next F1 race in Vegas”: Cyclists and
>>> motorists baffled by new “April Fools” 20mph time trial rules
>>
>> But F1 is raced on a track.
>> Cycle time trials take place on 'public roads'.
>> Apples to Oranges again.
>
> Does doing time trials on a public road constitute "racing [against your
> previous times] on the public highway"? Ah, I forgot: cyclists think
> that any HC rule which is inconvenient to them can be ignored...

Time to send some of these fuckers to prison.

--
"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" -- Bill of Rights 1689

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<us0ith$25gns$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=118879&group=uk.d-i-y#118879

From: millerho...@spamtrap.talktalk.net (John Miller)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 01:14:23 +0000
 by: John Miller - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 01:14 UTC

On 02/03/2024 14:22, NY wrote:
> On 08/02/2024 18:35, soup wrote:
>> On 08/02/2024 15:46, Spike wrote:
>>>
>>> “Can’t wait for speed limits at the next F1 race in Vegas”: Cyclists and
>>> motorists baffled by new “April Fools” 20mph time trial rules
>>
>> But F1 is raced on a track.
>> Cycle time trials take place on 'public roads'.
>> Apples to Oranges again.
>

> Does doing time trials on a public road constitute "racing [against your
> previous times] on the public highway"? Ah, I forgot: cyclists think
> that any HC rule which is inconvenient to them can be ignored...
>
> I wish the Highway Code would be strengthened so every relevant rule
> that applies to motor vehicles also applied to bicycles: speed limits,
> one-way streets, overtaking on the left, traffic lights, occupied zebra
> crossings. Yes, motorists don't always adhere to those rules, but when
> they don't, their registration number means that they stand a fair
> chance of being prosecuted.
>
> I am probably fairly unusual that I cycle as if I were a human-powered
> car with visible number-plates, in terms of the laws that I adhere to.
>
> I am very much opposed to races, whether car or bicycle, on public
> roads. Sure, they are closed for the race, but my point is that they
> shouldn't be closed: they are there for the public to use, not (even for
> a few hours) for the exclusive use of racers.
>
> And not all bicycle races close roads. I got stuck behind a bicycle race
> as I was going home and they went so slowly up a 1:4 hill that my car
> wanted to go faster than them in first gear. (*) Once I realised that, I
> stopped and waited till they had all reached the top, so I could go up
> at a sensible speed which did not need me to slip my clutch. Even on
> flat sections, they took up the whole width of the road, with a car
> preceding them and one following to block traffic and shepherd it to
> stop. That race was probably illegal. When I complained to the
> organiser, I had an apologetic reply saying that everyone who lived
> along the route should have been notified, and "road closed" /
> "diversion" signs should have been posted. I was not the first person to
> report that this had not been done. I imagine the marshals got a
> bollocking.
>

> (*) Having seen Tour de Yorkshire races on TV, I was expecting this lot
> to go up at superhuman speeds like the TdY racers, but they weren't
> quite as fit.
Cycle racing on British roads are governed by law, specifically Cycle
Racing on the Highways Regulations 1960. Cycling time trials also need
police permission and involve individual riders, not a massed start.
Organisers generally go to some trouble to ensure races are well
signposted in advance to try and minimise any inconvenience. Be sure
that any unauthorised races would involve a prompt Police response.
Just try a little patience and understanding of a grassroots sport which
has brought this country countless Olympic medals. Those athletes have
to start somewhere

Re: [Cycling] Time Trials + 20 limits = cyclist apoplexy

<l4i87nFd0mgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=118880&group=uk.d-i-y#118880

From: jnugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 03:14:00 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 03:14 UTC

On 03/03/2024 01:14 am, John Miller wrote:

> On 02/03/2024 14:22, NY wrote:

>>> But F1 is raced on a track.
>>> Cycle time trials take place on 'public roads'.
>>> Apples to Oranges again.
>
>> Does doing time trials on a public road constitute "racing [against
>> your previous times] on the public highway"? Ah, I forgot: cyclists
>> think that any HC rule which is inconvenient to them can be ignored...
>> I wish the Highway Code would be strengthened so every relevant rule
>> that applies to motor vehicles also applied to bicycles: speed limits,
>> one-way streets, overtaking on the left, traffic lights, occupied
>> zebra crossings. Yes, motorists don't always adhere to those rules,
>> but when they don't, their registration number means that they stand a
>> fair chance of being prosecuted.
>> I am probably fairly unusual that I cycle as if I were a human-powered
>> car with visible number-plates, in terms of the laws that I adhere to.
>> I am very much opposed to races, whether car or bicycle, on public
>> roads. Sure, they are closed for the race, but my point is that they
>> shouldn't be closed: they are there for the public to use, not (even
>> for a few hours) for the exclusive use of racers.
>> And not all bicycle races close roads. I got stuck behind a bicycle
>> race as I was going home and they went so slowly up a 1:4 hill that my
>> car wanted to go faster than them in first gear. (*) Once I realised
>> that, I stopped and waited till they had all reached the top, so I
>> could go up at a sensible speed which did not need me to slip my
>> clutch. Even on flat sections, they took up the whole width of the
>> road, with a car preceding them and one following to block traffic and
>> shepherd it to stop. That race was probably illegal. When I complained
>> to the organiser, I had an apologetic reply saying that everyone who
>> lived along the route should have been notified, and "road closed" /
>> "diversion" signs should have been posted. I was not the first person
>> to report that this had not been done. I imagine the marshals got a
>> bollocking.
>
>> (*) Having seen Tour de Yorkshire races on TV, I was expecting this
>> lot to go up at superhuman speeds like the TdY racers, but they
>> weren't quite as fit.

> Cycle racing on British roads are governed by law, specifically Cycle
> Racing on the Highways Regulations 1960. Cycling time trials also need
> police permission and involve individual riders, not a massed start.
> Organisers generally go to some trouble to ensure races are well
> signposted in advance to try and minimise any inconvenience. Be sure
> that any unauthorised races would involve a prompt Police response.
> Just try a little patience and understanding of a grassroots sport which
> has brought this country countless Olympic medals. Those athletes have
> to start somewhere

Why do they "have to" start at all?

It's not as though it's of any importance.