The time is right to make new friends.

aus+uk / aus.computers / Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.

SubjectAuthor
* Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.News 2021
+* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.News 2021
|`- Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.Xeno
+* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.Peter Jason
> [...]
|`* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.Rod Speed
| `* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.Yosemite Sam
|  +- Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.Rod Speed
|  `* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.News 2021
|   `* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.Rod Speed
|    `* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.Max
|     +- Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.Rod Speed
|     `* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.News 2021
|      +* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.Max
|      |`- Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.News 2021
|      `- Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.Rod Speed
+* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.Trevor Wilson
|`* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.News 2021
| +* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.Trevor Wilson
| |`* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.keithr0
| | `* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.Trevor Wilson
| |  `- Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.keithr0
| `- Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.Computer Nerd Kev
`* Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.F Murtz
 `- Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.News 2021

Pages:123
Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.

<ifk7enF7p25U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=845&group=aus.computers#845

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 17:10:07 +1000
References: <s6bdlc$86p$4@dont-email.me> <fvjj8g1tr5649ucj4djpiq5btq9rht5pto@4ax.com> <s6dg71$86p$11@dont-email.me> <dup09gdk4pmf4l7cfbfb9fh9sd0bmpeb6k@4ax.com> <ifbm9gFi8e3U1@mid.individual.net> <ife0uuF1kmrU2@mid.individual.net> <ife3njF259tU1@mid.individual.net> <ife3rtF268tU1@mid.individual.net> <ifel7kF56qtU1@mid.individual.net> <ifep5aF5t41U1@mid.individual.net> <ifk40fF73a8U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 7 May 2021 07:10 UTC

keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Atm cameras are irrelevant, they only show that you got cash not how you
>>> spent it.

>> Bullshit when they can tie someone spending x on some illegal
>> activity at a checkout with a camera with who withdraw money
>> before that at an atm with the photos matching.

> Who said anything about doing anything illegal?

>>> Anyway is not evading the authorities that counts, it's not being
>>> inundated with adverts based on what you spend your money on.

>> That doesn’t happen with stuff that I pay for using apple
>> pay because apple doesn’t tell anyone what I bought.

> You just need to sell your soul to Apple.

Nope, just use one of their devices. No soul involved.

>>> Gumtree buyers usually pay cash too.

>> But that isnt likely to be the main source of your
>> income and gumtree tells everyone what you have
>> sold and bought anyway, even if you pay using cash.

Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.

<ifk7g7F7p4aU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=846&group=aus.computers#846

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 17:10:55 +1000
References: <s6bdlc$86p$4@dont-email.me> <fvjj8g1tr5649ucj4djpiq5btq9rht5pto@4ax.com> <s6dg71$86p$11@dont-email.me> <dup09gdk4pmf4l7cfbfb9fh9sd0bmpeb6k@4ax.com> <ifbm9gFi8e3U1@mid.individual.net> <ife0uuF1kmrU2@mid.individual.net> <ife3njF259tU1@mid.individual.net> <ife3rtF268tU1@mid.individual.net> <ifel7kF56qtU1@mid.individual.net> <s6tat9$50p$2@dont-email.me> <iff8viF8rjgU1@mid.individual.net> <ifjf3vF3bebU3@mid.individual.net> <ifjnu5F50cjU1@mid.individual.net> <ifk450F73a8U2@mid.individual.net>

"keithr0" <user@account.invalid> wrote in message
> On 7/05/2021 12:45 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>>

>> "Yosemite Sam" <felix@invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> what car?
>>
>> Hyundai Getz in 2006
>
> ROFL you should have been able to buy one of those out of petty cash.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.

<ifk8eqF7uloU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=847&group=aus.computers#847

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 17:27:21 +1000
 by: Xeno - Fri, 7 May 2021 07:27 UTC

On 7/5/21 12:46 pm, Rod Speed wrote:

> "Xeno" <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> On 7/5/21 8:44 am, Joey wrote:
>>>

>>> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Yeah, that fuckwit has never had a fucking clue.
>>
>> Yet another alias Rod? Seriously?
>
> So fucking stupid you cant even manage to work out why.

Yes, I worked out that it was because you're stupid. That part was easy.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.

<ifk90bF82lbU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=848&group=aus.computers#848

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 17:36:42 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Fri, 7 May 2021 07:36 UTC

On 7/05/2021 4:56 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 7/05/2021 4:24 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> **That sounds like a better idea. Here's the problem with surge
>>> 'protectors' (I used inverted commas, because they do jack shit): A
>>> lightning strike can hit the ground and instantly turn soil into a
>>> glass-like solid. That is an immense amount of energy. If you imagine
>>> the dinky little MOVs inside surge 'protectors' can deal with that
>>> kind of energy, then you're dreaming. Also, most desktop PC power
>>> supplies already incorporate MOVs into their design. They MIGHT help,
>>> a bit, against minor spikes in the mains, but that's about it.
>>>
>>> [Anecdote] On the 23rd December 2018 lightning hit a large tree in my
>>> front yard. A minute portion of that strike (likely a 'tracer') hit
>>> one of the in-coming phases (I have two) to my home. The 70 Amp fuses
>>> blew on the electricity supplier's side blew, on the those old style,
>>> bakelite electricity meters was destroyed (when I opened the fuse
>>> box, if fell to my feet in a dozen or so pieces). After I paid a
>>> Grand (it was two days before Christmas) to have the fuses replaced
>>> by a level 2 electrician and the meter by-passed, I started locating
>>> all the stuff in my home that had been destroyed:
>>>
>>> * My two month old HP laptop (which was plugged into a useless surge
>>> protector).
>>> * My bedroom TV.
>>> * My electric garage door opener.
>>> * My landline 'phone.
>>> * My Telstra Gen 2 modem/router.
>>> * My 100/1000 router.
>>> * My HP enterprise Colour laser printer/copier.
>>> * Some other stuff.
>>>
>>> My insurance company was magnificent. Everything was sorted within a
>>> couple of weeks. Shannons. Use them.
>>>
>>> Moral: You can't protect your gear against a lightning strike. Other
>>> surges are minor and should be dealt with by regular power supplies
>>> in equipment.
>>>
>> I've found the best protection is a bloody big transformer with lots
>> of iron in it, but that's not particularly practical in the home
>> environment.
>
> **Agreed. I service a brand of amplifier that once used MEL12 optical
> transistors as part of the control system. Several models used a 10VA
> transformer in the control system. Nearby lightning strikes would always
> nuke the MEL12 (and almost nothing else). The larger models used 50VA
> auxiliary transformers and the MEL12 almost never got killed. You can't
> beat big lumps of iron and copper. The bigger the better. And NOT
> toroidals. EI is always best for protection.

The early Fujitsu mainframes came set up for Japanese power 100v phase
to neutral. We had very big transformers (like needing a forklift) and
never had any problems. Then they started shipping them set up for our
440v/240v mains and the troubles started. We had one in a government
office where the input transformer started to smoke, checking there was
70 odd amps going down the neutral (star or Y connected 3 phase). Turned
out to be 3rd harmonic on the mains caused by there being hundreds of
flouro lights in the building. Solution - disconnect the neutral, not an
elegant solution but it worked.

>> When I was working for Fujitsu, a guy sent in a fax for repair. His
>> telephone line had been hit by lightning. Opening it up, it was
>> obvious that the whole thing had been fried, so I rang him and said
>> that the cost of repair would be more than the cost of a new unit. He
>> then went ape, reckoning that he had bought the unit because it was
>> supposed to be reliable. I don't know what some people expect, I'm
>> just glad that I didn't have to deal with the public for most of my
>> career.
>
> **You're lucky.

I did have to for a while, but I decided that my career should go in an
other direction.

Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.

<ifkfncF9bcrU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=849&group=aus.computers#849

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 19:31:15 +1000
References: <s6bdlc$86p$4@dont-email.me> <fvjj8g1tr5649ucj4djpiq5btq9rht5pto@4ax.com> <s6dg71$86p$11@dont-email.me> <dup09gdk4pmf4l7cfbfb9fh9sd0bmpeb6k@4ax.com> <ifbm9gFi8e3U1@mid.individual.net> <ife0uuF1kmrU2@mid.individual.net> <ife3njF259tU1@mid.individual.net> <ife3rtF268tU1@mid.individual.net> <ifel7kF56qtU1@mid.individual.net> <s6tat9$50p$2@dont-email.me> <iff8viF8rjgU1@mid.individual.net> <ifj9qgF2i92U1@mid.individual.net> <ifji1tF3v6eU1@mid.individual.net> <ifjo03F50m1U1@mid.individual.net> <ifk8eqF7uloU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 7 May 2021 09:31 UTC

> On 7/5/21 12:46 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>>

>> "Xeno" <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

>>> Yet another alias Rod? Seriously?
>>
>> So fucking stupid you cant even manage to work out why.
>
> Yes, I worked out that it was because you're stupid. That part was easy.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.

<s753pk$i0i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=850&group=aus.computers#850

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 04:24:20 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sat, 8 May 2021 04:24 UTC

News 2021 <news21@woa.com.au> wrote:

> That said, I am currently looking at a green house with a top angled at a
> good angle and good orientation for midday sun. I am considering
> transferring my five solar panels and regulators, from camping trailer,
> to there along with some new large wet cells as a 'battery. and directly
> powering the systems from there.
>
> At one stage, there was a mob called minibox.com produced power plugs for
> PCs to run off directly 12V systems.

Jaycar was selling boards for that as well at one point too.

These days it might be easier to use a single board computer (SBT).
They're usually designed to run off 5V, but a 12V-5V DC-DC coverter
will be cheaper and easier to find than something that provides all
the PC PSU voltages.

Some of the details here might be of interest:
https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/about.html

Not much good for SCSI devices though...

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.

<5eTzI.589158$J_5.340153@fx46.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1139&group=aus.computers#1139

Newsgroups: aus.computers
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 12:57:02 +1000
 by: F Murtz - Mon, 21 Jun 2021 02:57 UTC

On 28/4/21 8:33 pm, News 2021 wrote:
> Normally I use PC Case gear in Melbourne, but reviewing the product list
> and they have holes and mismatches in their AMD line up. Shades of the
> experience of dealing with MSY.
>
> I'm looking for bottom end AMD 2000 mobo & cpu with realtek NICs.
> These are just for three headless servers. They'll be way over powered
> for the load they'll carry, but that is fine.
>
> Unfortunately, the last blackout and bouncing return managed to kill two
> systems, so I need to get more systems in and get an electrician in to
> replace. the GPO surge protectors.
>
> T.I.A.

MSY technology auburn,
For parts and will sell or make up computers .
look up their price list.

Re: Recommend good PC supplier in Sydney or Melborne, Or Brisbane.

<sb77n4$ir9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1175&group=aus.computers#1175

From: new...@woa.com.au (News 2021)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 12:48:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: News 2021 - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 12:48 UTC

On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 12:57:02 +1000, F Murtz scribed:

> On 28/4/21 8:33 pm, News 2021 wrote:
>> Normally I use PC Case gear in Melbourne, but reviewing the product
>> list and they have holes and mismatches in their AMD line up. Shades of
>> the experience of dealing with MSY.
>>
>> I'm looking for bottom end AMD 2000 mobo & cpu with realtek NICs.
>> These are just for three headless servers. They'll be way over powered
>> for the load they'll carry, but that is fine.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the last blackout and bouncing return managed to kill
>> two systems, so I need to get more systems in and get an electrician in
>> to replace. the GPO surge protectors.
>>
>> T.I.A.
>>

> MSY technology auburn,
> For parts and will sell or make up computers .
> look up their price list.

Thanks, but I stopped buying stuff from MSY quite a few years ago.
I was finding the range too small and turbulent.
Moved to PCCaseGear and purchased from then. but recently had two boxen
made up by them with a 3 yr warranty.

I also found that Scorptec will make up similar stuff.