From: new...@economic-truth.co.uk (Tim Miller)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Play? Want? Bin? or is it something else? (PWBE 25 Apr 2022)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 09:04:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Tim Miller - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 09:04 UTC

I know that many years ago I starte the expenditure tracking idea, but it
is far too depressing nowadays.

PLAY!!!!!11one

Sonic Team Racing (PS4)
-----------------------

I think this was given away with PS+, this month or last month. In any
case, it was installed waiting for me when I turned on the PS4 after a
lengthy break (playing Xbone, Switch, Wii U, X360 and PS3 for quite some
time) and since Rocket League reauired yet another 34,835 GB update I
thought I'd give it a go. I seem to remember quite enjoying previous
Sega and Sonic kart racers, and this is by Sumo as well so it was
promising.

After seven hours of clicking through a pointless story, the first race
started. You don't race alone; you have two (AI) teammates, and you have
to get an aggregate placing higher then the aggregate placing of the
opposing team of three. You can slipstream behind your teammates, you
can pass pickups between yourselves, you can nudge someone who's crashed
to give them a boost as they restart. It all sounds quite clever, but in
reality it's just a bit too much of a mess. I won every race comfortably
(as in, I came first and my two team mates were second and third, at
least five seconds ahead of the first opponent), mainly by saving the big
ultimate power up thing until the last half of the last lap and speeding
past everyone.

It's good that they tried something different, and having a single player
mode which isn't just a set of four races is commendable. It just isn't
that rewarding to play, unfortunately.

Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania (Switch)
---------------------------------------

This is, on the other hand, utterly fantastic. Yes, it loses something
from not having the octagonal analogue gate, and the joycons have a
little too little travel for decent accuracy. But actually playing the
single-player game is still excellent, and the presentation of it is top-
notch, with levels presented either in a story (groups of ten levels at a
time) or divided into the SMB1 and SMB2 challenge modes; it feels
possibly a little too cool for the subject matter, mind.

Monkey Target doesn't feel right at all, and this is made even more stark
by the fact that I played a few rounds of it with friends at the Science
Museum a couple of weekends ago. Other minigames, like Monkey Fight,
seem identical to the old versions.

For the discounted prices this is now going for it's a no-brainer.

Syberia (PS3)
-------------

Having never played this series, but seeing the games mentioned many
times, I noticed them on my download list on the PS3 and thought I would
give the first a go. The story is intriguing, if rather slow paced, but
it's good that it is because the sheer awkwardness in control, simplistic
yet obscure puzzles, and unlikable characters would usually result in an
immediate abandonment.

WANT!!!!!11122two

Sega Superstar Tennis (X360) to be made forwards-compatible on the Xbone.
Having played a game of Virtua Tennis at the Science Museum I was
reminded how fun this was.

Playdate: mine is still due "early 2022", which is the current date.

BIN!!!!!11qq

Overly complicated game mechanics. The thing is, if I spent 20 hours
practicing in Sonic Team Racing I know I'd get the courses and strategies
worked out, but I have other games I want to play in those 20 hours.

Any you?

Tim (tm)
--
Gaming journals: http://xexyz.blogspot.com
Economics blurb: http://www.economic-truth.co.uk

Re: Play? Want? Bin? or is it something else? (PWBE 25 Apr 2022)

<6oSdnaN4sYzzDvv_nZ2dnUU7-YWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1177&group=uk.games.video.misc#1177

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 07:26:22 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:26 UTC

In article <XnsAE84667EC6327economictruth@144.76.35.252>,
Tim Miller <news@economic-truth.co.uk> wrote:

>PLAY!!!!!11one
>
>Sonic Team Racing (PS4)
>-----------------------

<snip>
>After seven hours of clicking through a pointless story, the first race
>started. You don't race alone; you have two (AI) teammates, and you have
>to get an aggregate placing higher then the aggregate placing of the
>opposing team of three. You can slipstream behind your teammates, you
>can pass pickups between yourselves, you can nudge someone who's crashed
>to give them a boost as they restart. It all sounds quite clever, but in
>reality it's just a bit too much of a mess. I won every race comfortably
>(as in, I came first and my two team mates were second and third, at
>least five seconds ahead of the first opponent), mainly by saving the big
>ultimate power up thing until the last half of the last lap and speeding
>past everyone.
>
>It's good that they tried something different, and having a single player
>mode which isn't just a set of four races is commendable. It just isn't
>that rewarding to play, unfortunately.

I'm right there with you on the Team Racing experiment, which is clearly
inspired by the whole rubber-band mechanism from Knuckles Chaotix. I
picked up the game a year ago (I think?) and I only ever ended up playing
the solo racing mode where it's just you against nine other racers with no
teams, and that's a much more robust game because you can actually
understand what's going on. There's not enough AI strategy happening to
make the team thing worthwhile. Essentially Sonic Team Racing will only
serve the purpose of providing character models and tracks that will be
pilfered and redeployed by a superior game in the future.

-KKC, who doesn't really have his heart in his work today.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @

Re: Play? Want? Bin? or is it something else? (PWBE 25 Apr 2022)

<jcntfgFan8oU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1178&group=uk.games.video.misc#1178

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 25 Apr 2022 15:36:16 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:36 UTC

On 25 Apr 2022 at 10:04:32 BST, "Tim Miller" <news@economic-truth.co.uk>
wrote:

> I know that many years ago I starte the expenditure tracking idea, but it
> is far too depressing nowadays.
>
> PLAY!!!!!11one

Very little, thus my lack of posting. But I have done a little:

Kirby demo (Switch) - you know, the new not-open-world-after-all one.
It's fine I guess, but it feels like a very sub Mario 3D World or like
the more boring fiddly bits of Mario Odyssey. Didn't persuade me to
spend money on a copy, that's for sure.

Vampire Survivors (Mac) - new Mac port :) Buuut only compiled for Intel,
despite that being a tickbox (literally, not in a 'ha ha' way). So I got
20 minutes in and the sheer crowd of badly-scaled sprites was making the
framerate sag waaaay to far to play. Tut.

Breath of the Wild (WiiU on Cemu on Windows) Korok and shrine hunting. I
love this game, it's so good. Except for the korok hunting.

Sea of Thieves (PMG, Xbox of some description, does it even matter?)
Definitely my go to cheerful chat game - it's so pleasant, and has the
occasional 5 minute voyage segments where you can catch up on each
other's lives now that we have them again. Spent the last session with
Gus failing to complete one of the Tall Tales - we got mushed by a sea
monster, largely thanks to lack of feedback that what we were doing was
the right thing. So we'll have to do that again tomorrow.

> Syberia (PS3)
> -------------
>
> Having never played this series, but seeing the games mentioned many
> times, I noticed them on my download list on the PS3 and thought I would
> give the first a go. The story is intriguing, if rather slow paced, but
> it's good that it is because the sheer awkwardness in control, simplistic
> yet obscure puzzles, and unlikable characters would usually result in an
> immediate abandonment.

I'd agree with this - the first couple of hours is so slow. The story is
good fun though, I definitely found it worth playing the original 1&2. I
should get around to playing 3 sometime.

> WANT!!!!!11122two
> Playdate: mine is still due "early 2022", which is the current date.

It is, isn't it? No sign of postage yet for me, I'm in batch 2.

Otherwise I don't think I've got anything in the near future. BotW2
eventually.

> BIN!!!!!11qq
>
> Overly complicated game mechanics.

In that vein I am quite tempted to play Elden Ring due to people's
stories about it, but I don't have the mental capacity nor the "you
died" fortitude to keep soldiering on, so I need to bin that temptation.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo
- H G Wells