Nipples, dimples, knuckles, NICKLES, wrinkles, pimples!!

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: OT new banking terms announced

SubjectAuthor
* OT new banking terms announcedVicky
+* Re: OT new banking terms announcedNick Odell
|`* Re: OT new banking terms announcedJohn Ashby
| `* Re: OT new banking terms announcedNick Odell
|  `- Re: OT new banking terms announcedJohn Ashby
`* Re: OT new banking terms announcedkrw
 +- Re: OT new banking terms announcedVicky
 `* Re: OT new banking terms announcedPenny
  +* Re: OT new banking terms announcedKate B
  |`* Re: OT new banking terms announcedPenny
  | `* Re: OT new banking terms announcedKate B
  |  +- Re: OT new banking terms announcedPenny
  |  `* Re: OT new banking terms announcedVicky
  |   `* Re: OT new banking terms announcedMike McMillan
  |    +* Re: OT new banking terms announcedSam Plusnet
  |    |`- Re: OT new banking terms announcedJohn Ashby
  |    +* Re: OT new banking terms announcedNick Odell
  |    |+- Re: OT new banking terms announcedJohn Ashby
  |    |`* Re: OT new banking terms announcedMike McMillan
  |    | `* Re: OT new banking terms announcedLinda Fox
  |    |  `- Re: OT new banking terms announcedLinda Fox
  |    +- Re: OT new banking terms announcedTony Smith
  |    `- Re: OT new banking terms announcedChris
  `* Re: OT new banking terms announcedLinda Fox
   +* Re: OT new banking terms announcedSam Plusnet
   |`- Re: OT new banking terms announcedPenny
   +* Re: OT new banking terms announcedPenny
   |`* Re: OT new banking terms announcedLinda Fox
   | `* Re: OT new banking terms announcedPenny
   |  `* Re: OT new banking terms announcedChris J Dixon
   |   `* Re: OT new banking terms announcedPenny
   |    `- Re: OT new banking terms announcedChris J Dixon
   `* Re: OT new banking terms announcedKate B
    `- Re: OT new banking terms announcedLinda Fox

Pages:12
Re: OT new banking terms announced

<kn15khd5bbhl4p0ihvud63hjiou5n3i4ti@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11744&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11744

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT new banking terms announced
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 09:42:46 +0100
 by: Penny - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 08:42 UTC

On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 20:25:01 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...

>On 08-Oct-22 17:10, Linda Fox wrote:
>> Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 16:21:51 +0100, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
>>> dust...

>>> Ray and I had a joint account (as well as personal ones - is that odd? My
>>> parents did too). When I informed them of Ray's death, I was told the whole
>>> account would revert to me but half the sum should be counted for probate.
>>
>> Robin and I had a joint a/c with Nationwide, and though they had told me
>> over the phone that they would close it and make a new one for me, it was
>> simpler than that, though - I just went into my branch carrying a copy of
>> the death certificate, which they scanned and gave back, and they said the
>> account would just be changed to a single person, no change of number -
>> which was great, because all my small posse of piano students pay through
>> the bank - and they’d send me a new card, but I could use the old one till
>> I got it.
>>
>> Why did half the account need to go to probate? Ours didn’t, in fact apart
>> from half the house having to go to trust for our collected 4 kids, TNMF
>> left me all his estate - but as pretty well everything was jointly owned, I
>> haven’t inherited anything.
>>
>Isn't it generally a good idea to keep a joint account in operation, so
>one has somewhere to deposit cheques, made out to the deceased, which
>tend to crop up from time to time?

Not a problem I have met, having been widowed twice.
A problem I did have was letters addressed to the husgod's previous wife,
with regard to the protection insurance for the mortgage. They were asking
for premiums, as none had been paid for two months. I wrote back to remind
them they had paid off the mortgage and the insurance had died with him.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT new banking terms announced

<thu7vk$dmk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11745&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11745

From: linda...@ntlworld.com (Linda Fox)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 10:32:20 -0000 (UTC)
<ths6s2$v51$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Linda Fox - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 10:32 UTC

--
Linda ff

Re: OT new banking terms announced

<thu87v$hlj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11746&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11746

From: linda...@ntlworld.com (Linda Fox)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 10:36:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Linda Fox - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 10:36 UTC

Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 16:10:39 -0000 (UTC), Linda Fox <linda.ff@ntlworld.com>
> scrawled in the dust...
>> Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>
>>> Ray and I had a joint account (as well as personal ones - is that odd? My
>>> parents did too). When I informed them of Ray's death, I was told the whole
>>> account would revert to me but half the sum should be counted for probate.
>>
>> Robin and I had a joint a/c with Nationwide, and though they had told me
>> over the phone that they would close it and make a new one for me, it was
>> simpler than that, though - I just went into my branch carrying a copy of
>> the death certificate, which they scanned and gave back, and they said the
>> account would just be changed to a single person, no change of number -
>> which was great, because all my small posse of piano students pay through
>> the bank - and they’d send me a new card, but I could use the old one till
>> I got it.
>>
>> Why did half the account need to go to probate? Ours didn’t, in fact apart
>> from half the house having to go to trust for our collected 4 kids, TNMF
>> left me all his estate - but as pretty well everything was jointly owned, I
>> haven’t inherited anything.
>
> Ray died intestate.

Ooh, painful.

--
Linda ff

Re: OT new banking terms announced

<uqc5khtp00vbs3a1bf8l5aet99h0dpgijb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11747&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11747

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 12:42:09 +0100
 by: Penny - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 11:42 UTC

On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 10:36:47 -0000 (UTC), Linda Fox <linda.ff@ntlworld.com>
scrawled in the dust...

>Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 16:10:39 -0000 (UTC), Linda Fox <linda.ff@ntlworld.com>
>> scrawled in the dust...

>>> Robin and I had a joint a/c with Nationwide, and though they had told me
>>> over the phone that they would close it and make a new one for me, it was
>>> simpler than that, though - I just went into my branch carrying a copy of
>>> the death certificate, which they scanned and gave back, and they said the
>>> account would just be changed to a single person, no change of number -
>>> which was great, because all my small posse of piano students pay through
>>> the bank - and they?d send me a new card, but I could use the old one till
>>> I got it.
>>>
>>> Why did half the account need to go to probate? Ours didn?t, in fact apart
>>> from half the house having to go to trust for our collected 4 kids, TNMF
>>> left me all his estate - but as pretty well everything was jointly owned, I
>>> haven?t inherited anything.
>>
>> Ray died intestate.
>
>Ooh, painful.

Not nearly as painful as when the husgod did it, having failed to make a
new will after we married :(
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT new banking terms announced

<jqfvqsFsjtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11749&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11749

From: elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 14:15:08 +0100
 by: Kate B - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 13:15 UTC

On 08/10/2022 17:10, Linda Fox wrote:
> Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 16:21:51 +0100, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
>> dust...
>>
>>> The account we have is a bit of an oddity as it is in joint names (the
>>> only such account) so that in the event of my death Jackie could use
>>> half of it for immediate expenses without too much problem (in theory of
>>> course, in practice who knows?).
>>
>> Ray and I had a joint account (as well as personal ones - is that odd? My
>> parents did too). When I informed them of Ray's death, I was told the whole
>> account would revert to me but half the sum should be counted for probate.
>
> Robin and I had a joint a/c with Nationwide, and though they had told me
> over the phone that they would close it and make a new one for me, it was
> simpler than that, though - I just went into my branch carrying a copy of
> the death certificate, which they scanned and gave back, and they said the
> account would just be changed to a single person, no change of number -
> which was great, because all my small posse of piano students pay through
> the bank - and they’d send me a new card, but I could use the old one till
> I got it.
>
> Why did half the account need to go to probate? Ours didn’t, in fact apart
> from half the house having to go to trust for our collected 4 kids, TNMF
> left me all his estate - but as pretty well everything was jointly owned, I
> haven’t inherited anything.

Whether a will needs to be sent for probate depends I think on what was
actually owned outright by the person concerned - if everything was
jointly owned then it may be that Robin's personal assets fell within
the Nil-Rate Band for inheritance tax and probate wasn't considered
necessary.

--
Kate B

Re: OT new banking terms announced

<thv954$42g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11766&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11766

From: linda...@ntlworld.com (Linda Fox)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 19:58:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Linda Fox - Sun, 9 Oct 2022 19:58 UTC

Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08/10/2022 17:10, Linda Fox wrote:
>> Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 16:21:51 +0100, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
>>> dust...

>>> Ray and I had a joint account (as well as personal ones - is that odd? My
>>> parents did too). When I informed them of Ray's death, I was told the whole
>>> account would revert to me but half the sum should be counted for probate.
>>
>> Robin and I had a joint a/c with Nationwide, and though they had told me
>> over the phone that they would close it and make a new one for me, it was
>> simpler than that, though - I just went into my branch carrying a copy of
>> the death certificate, which they scanned and gave back, and they said the
>> account would just be changed to a single person, no change of number -
>> which was great, because all my small posse of piano students pay through
>> the bank - and they’d send me a new card, but I could use the old one till
>> I got it.
>>
>> Why did half the account need to go to probate? Ours didn’t, in fact apart
>> from half the house having to go to trust for our collected 4 kids, TNMF
>> left me all his estate - but as pretty well everything was jointly owned, I
>> haven’t inherited anything.
>>

> Whether a will needs to be sent for probate depends I think on what was
> actually owned outright by the person concerned - if everything was
> jointly owned then it may be that Robin's personal assets fell within
> the Nil-Rate Band for inheritance tax and probate wasn't considered
> necessary.

Difficult to say who owned what, in terms of “things”, apart from his car I
suppose, but that wasn’t sold two years previously; our savings, part of
which was an ISA I’d accrued while I was still teaching, but most of which
came from his retirement lump sum, I’m told by our financial adviser is
mostly invested in such a way that it falls to the remaining partner upon
death. There’s one small ISA which I think still needs the signatures of
both executors (me and his Chloë). And half the house has to go into trust,
the trustees again are me and CF, so I give myself permission to live in
that house or any other house she and I decide to buy, providing I look
after it and keep it insured. We still haven’t got round to it yet,
d#2Lydia read all the instructions and said she could handle it for us, but
trying to tie her down isn’t easy. But there’s nothing we’re waiting for -
I’m still living here and I haven’t needed to touch the money.

--
Linda ff

Re: OT new banking terms announced

<gnk7khdmejlh6r3koejlsbu3nf55ptaqac@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11775&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11775

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 09:11:24 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 08:11 UTC

Penny wrote:

>Not nearly as painful as when the husgod did it, having failed to make a
>new will after we married :(

My dad never made a will, so the significant complications in
sorting things out between we three siblings was a stressful
time.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Re: OT new banking terms announced

<tlp7kh1uin78h1frafpsn6vkfqqmrfdogu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11787&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11787

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 10:45:29 +0100
 by: Penny - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 09:45 UTC

On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 09:11:24 +0100, Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>Penny wrote:
>
>>Not nearly as painful as when the husgod did it, having failed to make a
>>new will after we married :(
>
>My dad never made a will, so the significant complications in
>sorting things out between we three siblings was a stressful
>time.

I assume you were all grown-ups at that point. My daughters were 4 and 10,
so a trust had to be created for their share. Trusts are/were taxed at 10%
with no allowance. This meant filling out a long and complex form every
year to reclaim tax from income - literally drove me into a deep depression
after a few years. I'm glad I bought them out of the house ownership at the
time, or the complications when I wanted to move would have been huge, not
just because of house price inflation. I'm not sure d#1 has ever fully
forgiven me for selling that house.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT new banking terms announced

<64s7khtjua2hgscn63fui5p52b10ke07ki@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11790&group=uk.media.radio.archers#11790

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 11:20:24 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 10:20 UTC

Penny wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 09:11:24 +0100, Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk>
>scrawled in the dust...
>
>>Penny wrote:
>>
>>>Not nearly as painful as when the husgod did it, having failed to make a
>>>new will after we married :(
>>
>>My dad never made a will, so the significant complications in
>>sorting things out between we three siblings was a stressful
>>time.
>
>I assume you were all grown-ups at that point. My daughters were 4 and 10,
>so a trust had to be created for their share. Trusts are/were taxed at 10%
>with no allowance. This meant filling out a long and complex form every
>year to reclaim tax from income - literally drove me into a deep depression
>after a few years. I'm glad I bought them out of the house ownership at the
>time, or the complications when I wanted to move would have been huge, not
>just because of house price inflation. I'm not sure d#1 has ever fully
>forgiven me for selling that house.

Yes, we were. The difficulties included the family home, where my
sister had moved back to live after my mother died, and the house
my grandmother lived in, which my parents had bought when the
landlord wanted to sell, thinking it might be a useful hedge
against inflation in retirement - that worked well :-(.

Chris