Many a wife thinks her husband is the world's greatest lover. But she can never catch him at it.

aus+uk / aus.aviation / Re: Talk about hare brained...

SubjectAuthor
* Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
+* Re: Talk about hare brained...Daryl
|+* Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
||`* Re: Talk about hare brained...keithr0
|| `* Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
||  +* Re: Talk about hare brained...Daryl
||  |`- Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
||  `* Re: Talk about hare brained...keithr0
||   `- Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
|`* Re: Talk about hare brained...Phil Allison
| `- Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
+* Re: Talk about hare brained...Sylvia Else
|+* Re: Talk about hare brained...Daryl
||+- Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
||+- Re: Talk about hare brained...Phil Allison
||`- Re: Talk about hare brained...marty
|`* Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
| `* Re: Talk about hare brained...Mountain Magpie
|  +* Re: Talk about hare brained...Daryl
|  |+* Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
|  ||`* Re: Talk about hare brained...Daryl
|  || `- Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
|  |`* Re: Talk about hare brained...Mountain Magpie
|  | +* Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
|  | |`* Re: Talk about hare brained...Mountain Magpie
|  | | +* Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
|  | | |`* Re: Talk about hare brained...Mountain Magpie
|  | | | +* Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
|  | | | |`* Re: Talk about hare brained...Mountain Magpie
|  | | | | `* Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
|  | | | |  `* Re: Talk about hare brained...Mountain Magpie
|  | | | |   `* Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
|  | | | |    `- Re: Talk about hare brained...Mountain Magpie
|  | | | `- Re: Talk about hare brained...Daryl
|  | | `- Re: Talk about hare brained...Daryl
|  | `- Re: Talk about hare brained...Daryl
|  +- Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
|  `* Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
|   `- Re: Talk about hare brained...Rod Speed
`- Re: Talk about hare brained...Mountain Magpie

Pages:12
Talk about hare brained...

<op.1px4ci1rbyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1158&group=aus.aviation#1158

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Subject: Talk about hare brained...
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 13:37:20 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 03:37 UTC

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/rex-airlines-plan-retrofit-aircraft-electric-motors-emissions/101272566

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<jkc1qqFouu9U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1159&group=aus.aviation#1159

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Subject: Re: Talk about hare brained...
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 15:47:03 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 05:47 UTC

On 27/7/2022 1:37 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/rex-airlines-plan-retrofit-aircraft-electric-motors-emissions/101272566

Pandering to a few hippies that have been conned into thinking that it
will make the slightest difference to anything.

--
Daryl

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<op.1pydsrk9byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1160&group=aus.aviation#1160

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 17:01:29 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 07:01 UTC

Daryl <dwalford@westpine.com.au> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/rex-airlines-plan-retrofit-aircraft-electric-motors-emissions/101272566

> Pandering to a few hippies that have been conned into thinking that it
> will make the slightest difference to anything.

Can't see it working myself, no room for enough batterys or hydrogen
in a SAAB 340B that they plan to use.

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<jkc8tcFq1avU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1161&group=aus.aviation#1161

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 17:47:55 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 07:47 UTC

On 27/07/2022 5:01 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> Daryl <dwalford@westpine.com.au> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>
>>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/rex-airlines-plan-retrofit-aircraft-electric-motors-emissions/101272566
>>>

>> Pandering to a few hippies that have been conned into thinking that it
>> will make the slightest difference to anything.

Of course it will make no difference, if it actually flies, it will be a
feasibility test. Like it or not things like that are going to happen,
the only question is when.

> Can't see it working myself, no room for enough batterys or hydrogen
> in a SAAB 340B that they plan to use.

Presumably they have thought about that before making a public announcement.

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<op.1pyjj8v7byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1163&group=aus.aviation#1163

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:05:58 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 09:05 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 17:47:55 +1000, keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:

> On 27/07/2022 5:01 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>> Daryl <dwalford@westpine.com.au> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Pandering to a few hippies that have been conned into thinking that it
>>> will make the slightest difference to anything.
>
> Of course it will make no difference, if it actually flies, it will be a
> feasibility test.

Nope, they are planning to use it for commercial flights, stupid.

> Like it or not things like that are going to happen,

That remains to be seen with a SAAB 340B

> the only question is when.

Bullshit with a SAAB 340B

>> Can't see it working myself, no room for enough batterys or hydrogen
>> in a SAAB 340B that they plan to use.
>
> Presumably they have thought about that before making a public
> announcement.

Bet they haven't. Bet that fool Sharp has gone senile.

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<jkclabFrvvjU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1164&group=aus.aviation#1164

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:19:37 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 11:19 UTC

On 27/7/2022 7:05 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 17:47:55 +1000, keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 27/07/2022 5:01 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>>> Daryl <dwalford@westpine.com.au> wrote

>> Of course it will make no difference, if it actually flies, it will be
>> a feasibility test.
>
> Nope, they are planning to use it for commercial flights, stupid.

Eventually but certification can and will most likely take many years.

>> Like it or not things like that are going to happen,
>
> That remains to be seen with a SAAB 340B
>
>> the only question is when.
>
> Bullshit with a SAAB 340B

They most likely chose the SAAB because its a turbo prop so not
difficult to swap in electric motors, carrying enough batteries and or a
hydrogen fuel cell not so easy.

>>> Can't see it working myself, no room for enough batterys or hydrogen
>>> in a SAAB 340B that they plan to use.
>>
>> Presumably they have thought about that before making a public
>> announcement.
>
> Bet they haven't. Bet that fool Sharp has gone senile.

https://australianaviation.com.au/2022/07/rex-saabs-could-see-electric-engines-by-2026/
The article is talking about a 4yr time frame, these days CEO's just
can't help making announcements of plans way off into the future,
getting as bad as politicians.

--
Daryl

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<jkcqpuFss1hU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1165&group=aus.aviation#1165

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 22:53:18 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 12:53 UTC

On 27/07/2022 7:05 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 17:47:55 +1000, keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 27/07/2022 5:01 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>>> Daryl <dwalford@westpine.com.au> wrote

>> Of course it will make no difference, if it actually flies, it will be
>> a feasibility test.
>
> Nope, they are planning to use it for commercial flights, stupid.

Still a feasibility test stupid.

>> Like it or not things like that are going to happen,
>
> That remains to be seen with a SAAB 340B
>
>> the only question is when.
>
> Bullshit with a SAAB 340B
>
>>> Can't see it working myself, no room for enough batterys or hydrogen
>>> in a SAAB 340B that they plan to use.
>>
>> Presumably they have thought about that before making a public
>> announcement.
>
> Bet they haven't. Bet that fool Sharp has gone senile.

We'll see, if he hasn't then he'll have a lot of egg on his face.

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<op.1pzap0skbyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1166&group=aus.aviation#1166

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 04:52:38 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:52 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 22:53:18 +1000, keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:

> On 27/07/2022 7:05 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 17:47:55 +1000, keithr0 <user@account.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Of course it will make no difference, if it actually flies, it will be
>>> a feasibility test.
>> Nope, they are planning to use it for commercial flights, stupid.
>
> Still a feasibility test stupid.
>
>>> Like it or not things like that are going to happen,
>> That remains to be seen with a SAAB 340B
>>
>>> the only question is when.
>> Bullshit with a SAAB 340B

>>> Presumably they have thought about that before making a public
>>> announcement.
>> Bet they haven't. Bet that fool Sharp has gone senile.
>
> We'll see, if he hasn't then he'll have a lot of egg on his face.

Not for the first time. He has had that time after time after time.

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<op.1pza0p07byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1167&group=aus.aviation#1167

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 04:59:03 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 18:59 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:19:37 +1000, Daryl <dwalford@westpine.com.au> wrote:

> On 27/7/2022 7:05 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 17:47:55 +1000, keithr0 <user@account.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Of course it will make no difference, if it actually flies, it will be
>>> a feasibility test.
>> Nope, they are planning to use it for commercial flights, stupid.
>
> Eventually but certification can and will most likely take many years.
>>
>>> Like it or not things like that are going to happen,
>> That remains to be seen with a SAAB 340B
>>
>>> the only question is when.
>> Bullshit with a SAAB 340B
>
> They most likely chose the SAAB because its a turbo prop so not
> difficult to swap in electric motors,

They actually chose that because that is all they have.

> carrying enough batteries and or a hydrogen fuel cell not so easy.

Pity about the weight of the hydrogen tanks.

I can see that the lower weight of the electric motor might
sort of work with the batterys, and I spose you might be
able to put the batterys where the avtur wing tanks currently
are, but it is hard to see the hydrogen tanks being feasible.

>>> Presumably they have thought about that before making a public
>>> announcement.
>> Bet they haven't. Bet that fool Sharp has gone senile.
>
> https://australianaviation.com.au/2022/07/rex-saabs-could-see-electric-engines-by-2026/
> The article is talking about a 4yr time frame, these days CEO's just
> can't help making announcements of plans way off into the future,
> getting as bad as politicians.

Specially that fool Sharp, he has always been like that.

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<0cc86395-0285-4ed0-b677-4c2478ff6a26n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1168&group=aus.aviation#1168

Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 16:58:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 23:58 UTC

Daryl wrote:
==========
> Rod Speed wrote:
> > https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/rex-airlines-plan-retrofit-aircraft-electric-motors-emissions/101272566
> >
> Pandering to a few hippies that have been conned into thinking that it
> will make the slightest difference to anything.

** There have been at least 2 recent crashes of planes using batteries and hydrogen fuel cells to run a powerful BLDC motor.

https://sofrep.com/fightersweep/two-die-in-crash-of-siemens-powered-efusion-electric-airplane/

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/31546-zeroavia-safety-report-2021-crash

....... Phil

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<op.1pzyzntibyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1169&group=aus.aviation#1169

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 13:36:49 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 28 Jul 2022 03:36 UTC

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 09:58:58 +1000, Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Daryl wrote:
> ==========
>> Rod Speed wrote:
>> >
>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/rex-airlines-plan-retrofit-aircraft-electric-motors-emissions/101272566
>> >
>> Pandering to a few hippies that have been conned into thinking that it
>> will make the slightest difference to anything.
>>

> ** There have been at least 2 recent crashes of planes using batteries
> and hydrogen fuel cells to run a powerful BLDC motor.
>
> https://sofrep.com/fightersweep/two-die-in-crash-of-siemens-powered-efusion-electric-airplane/
>
> https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/31546-zeroavia-safety-report-2021-crash

Neither of those is anything even remotely like a SAAB 340B

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<jki10mFnn2lU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1170&group=aus.aviation#1170

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 22:10:00 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 12:10 UTC

On 27-July-22 1:37 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/rex-airlines-plan-retrofit-aircraft-electric-motors-emissions/101272566

I doubt Rex actually believes it will work.

Some sort of publicity stunt I suspect, though quite how it's meant to
help the I airline I can't imagine.

Sylvia.

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<jki258FnuemU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1171&group=aus.aviation#1171

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 22:29:26 +1000
 by: Daryl - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 12:29 UTC

On 29/7/2022 10:10 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 27-July-22 1:37 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/rex-airlines-plan-retrofit-aircraft-electric-motors-emissions/101272566
>>

> I doubt Rex actually believes it will work.
>
> Some sort of publicity stunt I suspect, though quite how it's meant to
> help the I airline I can't imagine.

Very likely they could end up with an electric aircraft but with a very
limited range only useful on very short flights where turn around time
is long.
More of a marketing exercise than anything else.

--
Daryl

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<op.1p20gvdabyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1172&group=aus.aviation#1172

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 05:01:33 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 19:01 UTC

Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/rex-airlines-plan-retrofit-aircraft-electric-motors-emissions/101272566

> I doubt Rex actually believes it will work.

It's that fool Sharp, not Rex.

> Some sort of publicity stunt I suspect,

Why would they deliberately make fools of themselves
with a project that can't possibly be viable ?

> though quite how it's meant to help the I airline I can't imagine.

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<op.1p20rrnibyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1173&group=aus.aviation#1173

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 05:08:05 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 29 Jul 2022 19:08 UTC

Daryl <dwalford@westpine.com.au> wrote
> Sylvia Else wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/rex-airlines-plan-retrofit-aircraft-electric-motors-emissions/101272566

>> I doubt Rex actually believes it will work.

>> Some sort of publicity stunt I suspect, though quitehow it's meant to
>> help the I airline I can't imagine.

> Very likely they could end up with an electric aircraft

Can't see it myself with a SAAB 340B.

> but with a very limited range only useful on very short flights

Rex doesn't have any of those routes.

> where turn around time is long.

They do leave the plane at the remote airport overnight in a
few cases, but that is so it can leave before the fog descends
first thing in the morning in winter and doesn't work for the
rest of the day.

> More of a marketing exercise than anything else.

Can't see that either. IMO it is more likely
just another Sharp massive brain fart.

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<79bfa58f-18e2-4f98-a14d-388b71adf36cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1174&group=aus.aviation#1174

Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 19:23:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 02:23 UTC

Daryl wrote:
==========

> Very likely they could end up with an electric aircraft but with a very
> limited range only useful on very short flights where turn around time
> is long.
> More of a marketing exercise than anything else.

** Experimental versions of the same idea exist now, but are prone to crashing.
A modified version of the Saab 340 approved for carrying pax would have to pass requirements like ability to climb out on one engine fully loaded and possess a reasonable flight time plus reserve.
Looks "pie in the sky" to me.

....... Phil

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<nF1FK.1015261$AS_9.370454@fx12.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1175&group=aus.aviation#1175

Newsgroups: aus.aviation
From: mar...@invalid.net (marty)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 13:34:43 +1000
 by: marty - Sat, 30 Jul 2022 03:34 UTC

On 29/7/22 22:29, Daryl wrote:
> On 29/7/2022 10:10 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> On 27-July-22 1:37 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>>> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/rex-airlines-plan-retrofit-aircraft-electric-motors-emissions/101272566
>>>

>> I doubt Rex actually believes it will work.
>>
>> Some sort of publicity stunt I suspect, though quite how it's meant to
>> help the I airline I can't imagine.
>>

> Very likely they could end up with an electric aircraft but with a very
> limited range only useful on very short flights where turn around time
> is long.
> More of a marketing exercise than anything else.

It might be able to do a circuit if all the seating is removed, just for
some photos.

--
Marty

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<jkpu5vF1359U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1176&group=aus.aviation#1176

From: notha...@nospam.org (Mountain Magpie)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 12:10:38 -0000
 by: Mountain Magpie - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 12:10 UTC

On Wed, 27 Jul 2022 13:37:20 +1000, Rod Speed posted:-

> https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-27/rex-airlines-plan-retrofit-aircraft-electric-motors-emissions/101272566

And to those old shitbox Saabs as well. What a frigging joke.

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<jkpub7F1359U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1177&group=aus.aviation#1177

From: notha...@nospam.org (Mountain Magpie)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 12:13:27 -0000
 by: Mountain Magpie - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 12:13 UTC

On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 05:01:33 +1000, Rod Speed posted:-

> Why would they deliberately make fools of themselves
> with a project that can't possibly be viable ?

They already have made fools of themselves with nonviable inter capital
flights. How long before they go belly up, and once again Qantas are
asked to pick up the pieces?

And the Saab aircraft they use must be costing heaps to keep in the
air.

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<jkqofiF5e3fU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1178&group=aus.aviation#1178

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 05:39:30 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 19:39 UTC

On 1/8/2022 10:13 pm, Mountain Magpie wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 05:01:33 +1000, Rod Speed posted:-
>
>> Why would they deliberately make fools of themselves
>> with a project that can't possibly be viable ?
>
> They already have made fools of themselves with nonviable inter capital
> flights.

Why would those flights be "nonviable"?

How long before they go belly up, and once again Qantas are
> asked to pick up the pieces?
>
> And the Saab aircraft they use must be costing heaps to keep in the
> air.

Why more expensive to maintain than anything else?

--
Daryl

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<op.1p8o5ezhbyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1179&group=aus.aviation#1179

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 06:42:40 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 20:42 UTC

Mountain Magpie <nothanks@nospam.org> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> Why would they deliberately make fools of themselves
>> with a project that can't possibly be viable ?

> They already have made fools of themselveswith nonviable inter capital
> flights.

That remains to be seen.

> How long before they go belly up,

Doubt it, their regional operations are quite viable and are well used.

> and once again Qantas are asked to pick up the pieces?

No pieces to be picked up given that Jetstar already
operates on those inter capital routes and QantasLink
competes with Rex on some regional routes.

> And the Saab aircraft they use must be costing heaps to keep in the air.

Don't buy that, the maintenance cost wouldn't be anything special now.

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<op.1p8o89npbyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1180&group=aus.aviation#1180

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 06:44:59 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 20:44 UTC

Daryl <dwalford@westpine.com.au> wrote
> Mountain Magpie wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Why would they deliberately make fools of themselves
>>> with a project that can't possibly be viable ?

>> They already have made fools of themselves with nonviable inter capital
>> flights.

> Why would those flights be "nonviable"?

Too much competition on those routes and a shortage of slots at the majors.

> How long before they go belly up, and once again Qantas are
>> asked to pick up the pieces?

>> And the Saab aircraft they use must be costing heaps to keep in the
>> air.

> Why more expensive to maintain than anything else?

Yeah, and clearly they have been fully paid for. They aren't leased.

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<jkr3l8F7677U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1181&group=aus.aviation#1181

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 08:50:14 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 22:50 UTC

On 2/8/2022 6:44 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> Daryl <dwalford@westpine.com.au> wrote
>> Mountain Magpie wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>>  They already have made fools of themselves with nonviable inter capital
>>> flights.
>
>> Why would those flights be "nonviable"?
>
> Too much competition on those routes and a shortage of slots at the majors.

Never been on a REX flight but family have flown Melb-Bris return a
couple of times on REX and were very happy with the price and service,
if they can mostly fly with not many vacant seats no reason that it
shouldn't be profitable.

--
Daryl

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<op.1p8wjlmabyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1182&group=aus.aviation#1182

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 09:22:23 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 23:22 UTC

Daryl <dwalford@westpine.com.au> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Daryl <dwalford@westpine.com.au> wrote
>>> Mountain Magpie wrote

>>> Why would those flights be "nonviable"?
>> Too much competition on those routes and a shortage of slots at the
>> majors.

> Never been on a REX flight

Its my main airline tho we now have competition by QantasLink
with Dash 8s once Rex lost their monopoly on my route.

> but family have flown Melb-Bris return a couple of times on REX and were
> very happy with the price and service,

I have never been happy with their price but they did have a monopoly.

Very decent service both in number of flights a day and how reliable they
are.

They even park one or two at my airport most days, leaving at 6:30am
and 7:00 so it can be sure to get away before the fog rolls in in winter.

> if they can mostly fly with not many vacant seats no reason that it
> shouldn't be profitable.

Thats unlikely with inter capital flights and their new Boeing 737-800s

Re: Talk about hare brained...

<jkrgisF8vk4U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1183&group=aus.aviation#1183

From: notha...@nospam.org (Mountain Magpie)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 02:30:51 -0000
 by: Mountain Magpie - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 02:30 UTC

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 05:39:30 +1000, Daryl posted:-

> On 1/8/2022 10:13 pm, Mountain Magpie wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 05:01:33 +1000, Rod Speed posted:-
> >
> >> Why would they deliberately make fools of themselves
> >> with a project that can't possibly be viable ?
> >
> > They already have made fools of themselves with nonviable inter
> > capital flights.
>
> Why would those flights be "nonviable"?

Load factors?

> How long before they go belly up, and once again Qantas are
> > asked to pick up the pieces?
> >
> > And the Saab aircraft they use must be costing heaps to keep in the
> > air.
> >
> Why more expensive to maintain than anything else?

Age of the metal.