Wisdom is knowing what to do with what you know. -- J. Winter Smith

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Re: Florida Formula 1 Play Want Bin (PWBE 9 May 2022)

SubjectAuthor
* Florida Formula 1 Play Want Bin (PWBE 9 May 2022)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
+- Re: Florida Formula 1 Play Want Bin (PWBE 9 May 2022)Russell Marks
`* Re: Florida Formula 1 Play Want Bin (PWBE 9 May 2022)James Luff
 `* Re: Florida Formula 1 Play Want Bin (PWBE 9 May 2022)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
  `- Re: Florida Formula 1 Play Want Bin (PWBE 9 May 2022)James Luff

1
Florida Formula 1 Play Want Bin (PWBE 9 May 2022)

<P7SdnZGOz6TvzeX_nZ2dnUU7-eWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1182&group=uk.games.video.misc#1182

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Florida Formula 1 Play Want Bin (PWBE 9 May 2022)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 18:21:22 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Sun, 8 May 2022 23:21 UTC

Hey! The Miami Gran Prix wasn't a complete disaster! It didn't rain and no
invasive species dropped down on anybody's head. Talk about your low
expectations.

Play:
--=--

Phantasy Star Online Ver 2 (DC) - Just puttering along trying to level up
my kid's character so that he can actually make some progress the next
time he's inspired to play. Somewhere along the line he lost his mag, so
I'm just playing the numbers game waiting for one to show up as a drop
somewhere in the Caves or Mines areas. It's actually pretty relaxing
wandering around like this, in a virtual locale that's perfectly familiar
to me and welcoming in a way that only a JPN-region action RPG can be.

Nier (PS3) - Technically this is Nier Gestalt as it was released in the
west, with the older protagonist playing the explicit father figure as
opposed to the alternative plot where the hero is instead the brother of
the sickly girl. It's interesting to look back at these old games and
understand just how linear they were, but in a way that did everything to
maintain the illusion of an open world and freedom to choose your next
activity. You can go a distance into unknown areas, until the character
mutters something about having better things to do or having no time for
sightseeing. The leash is quite a bit more loose than it is for other
comparable modern games where you *have* to see this rendered-in-game
action sequence because if you don't then all the voice acting is wasted.
I've made it far enough through that I've finished the first proper boss
fight and unlocked the whole menu, which is a pretty far ways in as far as
uncovering the 'real game' for this type of experience.

The Forgotten City (PS5) - Well, the story is interesting. The character
generation is simple but meaningful, and the acting is pretty good. Too
bad that there's no third person view. Why would they blow up a Skyrim mod
into a full game but then not steal all of the Skyrim UI and display
options? Well, the original Skyrim mod is still available. So then.

Skyrim: Special Edition (PC) - Here we go again. My sneaky Nord lady
archer is now level 13, which is over the minimum needed to trigger the
Forgotten City content. I wonder if I have to wait to get the letter or if
I can just hustle my way over to that part of the map and just jump in the
hole. This is going to take some more sneaking, or maybe a horse.

Want:
--=--

To not shop to manage my mood - It's a good thing I can afford it,
otherwise all this spending would be considered careless. Truth be told I
don't feel like I'm shopping much more than I was when I visited indy game
shops during my lunch hour on work days, not that that's a point in my
favour or anything.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $2,275

Nier Replicant (PS4) - $30
Forgotten City (PS5) - $20
Death's Gambit (PS4) - $12
Kemco RPG Omnibus (Switch) - $44
Return to PoPoLoCrois (3DS) - $10
Animal Crossing New Leaf (3DS) - $28
Nier Automata (PS4) - $25
Final Fantasy VIII Remastered (PS4) - $24
Switch (Panic) (PS2) - $55
Girls und Panzer Dream Tank Match (PS4) - $42
Girls und Panzer Dream Tank Match DX (Switch) - $55
Daytona USA Circuit Edition (SAT) - $12
Conveni (SAT) - $5
Enemy Zero (SAT) - $7
F1 Live Information (SAT) - $5
Shutoko Battle 97 (SAT) - $6
Langriser III (SAT) - $11
Toshinden S (SAT) - $5

Total to date - $2,671

-KKC, who hopes they patch a third-person mode in some day.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @

Re: Florida Formula 1 Play Want Bin (PWBE 9 May 2022)

<M9feK.797360$I_K3.348941@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1183&group=uk.games.video.misc#1183

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Florida Formula 1 Play Want Bin (PWBE 9 May 2022)
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 20:51:56 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 9 May 2022 20:51 UTC

> Play:

PictoQuest (PS4) - another Picross/nonogram game, this one having a
sort of RPG-like approach as you have items and attack monsters as you
solve the puzzles (or some of them at least). It seems pretty solid so
far, with neat little pixelated animations and some surprisingly good
music.

> Want:

Nothing.

> Bin:

PictoQuest not letting you see your inventory between puzzles except
at a shop. Nor can you use items between puzzles, which is slightly
annoying as your health isn't automatically restored. I think you also
can't check any item descriptions in the shop if your (tiny) inventory
is full, which makes it harder to decide what to sell if you don't
have all the icon meanings memorised.

-Rus.

Re: Florida Formula 1 Play Want Bin (PWBE 9 May 2022)

<je2p02Fgvi0U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1184&group=uk.games.video.misc#1184

From: lufferov...@gmail.com (James Luff)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 22:43:30 +0100
 by: James Luff - Wed, 11 May 2022 21:43 UTC

On 09/05/2022 00:21, Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
> Hey! The Miami Gran Prix wasn't a complete disaster! It didn't rain and no
> invasive species dropped down on anybody's head. Talk about your low
> expectations.

On the contrary, the Miami F1 race was a joke. Everything about it was
fake. Every time I thought they couldn't possibly screw up F1 any more,
they managed to suprise me! It was embarassing to watch. America just
doesn't understand how to do sport.

I can't wait until the F1 circus returns to Europe and we can have some
proper racing again.

Re: Florida Formula 1 Play Want Bin (PWBE 9 May 2022)

<E8ydnXca9pROp-H_nZ2dnUU7-RednZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1185&group=uk.games.video.misc#1185

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 17:38:11 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Wed, 11 May 2022 22:38 UTC

In article <je2p02Fgvi0U1@mid.individual.net>,
James Luff <lufferov+usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 09/05/2022 00:21, Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
>> Hey! The Miami Gran Prix wasn't a complete disaster! It didn't rain and no
>> invasive species dropped down on anybody's head. Talk about your low
>> expectations.
>
>On the contrary, the Miami F1 race was a joke. Everything about it was
>fake. Every time I thought they couldn't possibly screw up F1 any more,
>they managed to suprise me! It was embarassing to watch. America just
>doesn't understand how to do sport.
>
>I can't wait until the F1 circus returns to Europe and we can have some
>proper racing again.

Well, watching a slow race through a parking lot is nobody's idea of a
good time unless you're attending the event just to rub shoulders with the
rich and privileged and have no interest in motorsport at all. So from
that standpoint it still wasn't a complete disaster.

But yeah, a temporary street circuit that didn't even use any real streets
is probably not going to be a repeat event. Makes me wonder if the New
Jersey proposal will ever get a second chance.

-KKC, clearing space for a new TV.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @
don't trust anyone. You're used to getting smacked around, | io-nyc
and you never get homesick." - Michael Westen, /Burn Notice/ | .com

Re: Florida Formula 1 Play Want Bin (PWBE 9 May 2022)

<je41fcFo33gU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1186&group=uk.games.video.misc#1186

From: lufferov...@gmail.com (James Luff)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 10:14:19 +0100
 by: James Luff - Thu, 12 May 2022 09:14 UTC

On 11/05/2022 23:38, Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
> In article <je2p02Fgvi0U1@mid.individual.net>,
> James Luff <lufferov+usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 09/05/2022 00:21, Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:
>>> Hey! The Miami Gran Prix wasn't a complete disaster! It didn't rain and no
>>> invasive species dropped down on anybody's head. Talk about your low
>>> expectations.
>>
>> On the contrary, the Miami F1 race was a joke. Everything about it was
>> fake. Every time I thought they couldn't possibly screw up F1 any more,
>> they managed to suprise me! It was embarassing to watch. America just
>> doesn't understand how to do sport.
>>
>> I can't wait until the F1 circus returns to Europe and we can have some
>> proper racing again.
>
> Well, watching a slow race through a parking lot is nobody's idea of a
> good time unless you're attending the event just to rub shoulders with the
> rich and privileged and have no interest in motorsport at all. So from
> that standpoint it still wasn't a complete disaster.
>
> But yeah, a temporary street circuit that didn't even use any real streets
> is probably not going to be a repeat event. Makes me wonder if the New
> Jersey proposal will ever get a second chance.

Except Miami have a 10-year agreement, so we've got at least 9 more
years of it. I'll be avoiding this race and most likely the Las Vegas
one next year too.

Texas did the big American thing a few years back at the US GP when
Liberty took over F1. The backlash was huge and they abandoned the idea
after that. Seems they tried again and failed even harder with the F1
fans. The problem is that this time you have the “Drive To Survive”
viewers who don’t really care about the racing, they just love the
“reality TV” drama of the season that Netflix has created. So this Miami
crap is just as fake as the stuff they are used to seeing on the TV show.