19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be consistent with Usenet standards.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)

SubjectAuthor
* More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)Jaimie Vandenbergh
+* Re: More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
|`- Re: More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)Jaimie Vandenbergh
`* Re: More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)Russell Marks
 `* Re: More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)Jaimie Vandenbergh
  `* Re: More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)Russell Marks
   `- Re: More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)Jaimie Vandenbergh

1
More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)

<jfjs5iFsljeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1191&group=uk.games.video.misc#1191

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)
Date: 30 May 2022 12:38:10 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 30 May 2022 12:38 UTC

Fuzzy head.

Play
=-=-=
Vampire Survivors (Windows) - now also available in Mac, with lots of
unoptimisation and slowdown. But also twice the levels and about 50%
more weapons, upgrades, combos, play tweaks and characters than last
time I mentioned it. Also I discovered it has a map on the pause screen,
with indicators as to where interesting extra upgrades live. I have once
made it to an Interesting Coffin but then been mobbed and not managed to
open it. And that's on the *first* level. Game's still early access, and
is slowly gaining indicators for how to actually get some of the
upgrades mentioned - eg when you have the white dove in your weapon set,
if you're offered the option of getting the black dove there's a label
to say they go well together. But there's no indicator apart from the
labels on acheivements for a bunch of other things.

Zelda - Twilight Princess (WiiU) - I was actually dumping the disk to
run in Cemu at 4k30 (game can't be tweaked to 60) but spent a couple of
hours playing it as well.

It Takes Two (PS5) - started up a second playthrough as the other
character in this absolutely brilliant asymmetric 2p co-op game.
Everyone should play this, it's so good. Even the cutscenes aren't quite
as annoying second time around, although the actor they got in for the
little girl does a really poor little girl act.

Sea of Thieves (Xbox Series) - noodling around hitting skellies.

Beat Saber (PC VR) - still saberin' those beats. Got the Billy Eilish
and Lady Gaga song packs and had one song from each stuck in my head for
days after.

Want
=-=-=
BotW 2 - every time I fire up anything Zelda, I want this more. Which I
realise is setting myself up for disappointment, but hey.

Also to play Psychonauts 2 which I rudely stopped mid 2nd level, but
brain is too fuzzy for a puzzly platformer with lots of story.

Bin
=-=
Fuzzy head (not a game).

Cheers - Jaimie
--
There's no limit to the amount of work someone can do,
provided it's not the work they're supposed to be doing.

Re: More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)

<L6udnZZr1Z94WQn_nZ2dnUU7-RednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1192&group=uk.games.video.misc#1192

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 08:21:41 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 30 May 2022 13:21 UTC

In article <jfjs5iFsljeU1@mid.individual.net>,
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>Fuzzy head.

Over mine, mostly. I suspect long-term effects will include dry mouth and
an inability to calculate fractions.

>Play
>=-=-=

Nier Replicant (PS5) - And nothing else. Finished all five endings, and
I'm now working on that one last quest that requires you to do some
farming in your farm. Because this game is nothing if not thorough in
exploring all of the ancillary content trends of the 2010s. The farming
isn't awful or tedious, just very opaque. I liked the game overall, and
I'll probably wax poetic on the deeper subject matter in the podcast
tonight.

>Want
>=-=-=

Moar time (RL) - I have a pile of new (to me) Saturn games here to try out
and that's going to require some more time to myself. I'm moderately
ashamed to admit that the time I spent playing Nier was only available to
me because I was sick with COVID and now that I'm better I need to tend to
some neglected obligations. Mostly hoovering.

>Bin
>=-=

Nothing game-related. I didn't even buy anything new.

-KKC, who needs to find a way out of his bank holiday meal event.
--
-- "People with happy families don't become spies. A bad | kendrick
childhood is the perfect background for covert ops. You | @

Re: More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)

<jfk0deFteu3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1193&group=uk.games.video.misc#1193

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 30 May 2022 13:50:38 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 30 May 2022 13:50 UTC

On 30 May 2022 at 14:21:41 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> In article <jfjs5iFsljeU1@mid.individual.net>,
> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>> Fuzzy head.
>>

> Over mine, mostly. I suspect long-term effects will include dry mouth and
> an inability to calculate fractions.

Fingers crossed. I've got a new cardiac appt for mine.

>> Play
>> =-=-=
>
> Nier Replicant (PS5) - And nothing else. Finished all five endings,

Hurray! By the way, remember your grumblings about Automata turning you
off before playing due to the way the endings work? Very very similar to
Nier:R.

> -KKC, who needs to find a way out of his bank holiday meal event.

"Still got covid"?

Cheers - Jaimie

--
"No flying cars yet?", he wrote from a 2 inch by 4 inch
worldwide using only his right thumb.

Re: More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)

<5ImlK.1227$%OV1.276@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1194&group=uk.games.video.misc#1194

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 11:09:53 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 31 May 2022 11:09 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> Play

PictoQuest (PS4) - nearly finished I think. It's curious how just
having a path to traverse and a number of named levels encourages play
so much more than e.g. the extremely generic approach of the Picross e
games on the 3DS, even though it makes very little practical
difference. Anyway, I think more generally this has been my favourite
nonogram game not by Jupiter/Nintendo - it's maybe better than some of
those even.

> Want

To try my free PS4 versions of old PSN PS1 purchases, which should be
coming soon I imagine. No doubt they will still be what the beta
testers^W^W^WAsia seems to have had so far, i.e. mostly PAL displayed
badly in 60Hz with horrible blurry ghosting weirdness and bizarrely
useless scaling options. Which would actually be quite impressively
rubbish in 2022.

> Bin

Nothing.

-Rus.

Re: More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)

<jfmd4qFd0drU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1195&group=uk.games.video.misc#1195

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 31 May 2022 11:40:10 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 31 May 2022 11:40 UTC

On 31 May 2022 at 12:09:53 BST, "Russell Marks"
<zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> Play
>
> PictoQuest (PS4) - nearly finished I think. It's curious how just
> having a path to traverse and a number of named levels encourages play
> so much more than e.g. the extremely generic approach of the Picross e
> games on the 3DS, even though it makes very little practical
> difference. Anyway, I think more generally this has been my favourite
> nonogram game not by Jupiter/Nintendo - it's maybe better than some of
> those even.

Reminds me I picked up the (free) Mario Picross for 3DS on the eShop the
other day, on finding out it's one of the routes to custom firmware. Is
that any good?

>> Want
>
> To try my free PS4 versions of old PSN PS1 purchases, which should be
> coming soon I imagine. No doubt they will still be what the beta
> testers^W^W^WAsia seems to have had so far, i.e. mostly PAL displayed
> badly in 60Hz with horrible blurry ghosting weirdness and bizarrely
> useless scaling options. Which would actually be quite impressively
> rubbish in 2022.

And also somehow exactly what we expect out of Sony.

Nintendo took over half a year to fix up their crappy N64 releases, but
at least they gave 50/60Hz options to all and took a second and third
stab at getting the emulator up to scratch. I don't expect Sony will
even do the 60Hz releases out of territory.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
[Chlorine trifluoride] is also hypergolic with such things as
cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos,

Re: More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)

<kysmK.31543$j01.8940@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1196&group=uk.games.video.misc#1196

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 18:38:08 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 18:38 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> Reminds me I picked up the (free) Mario Picross for 3DS on the eShop the
> other day, on finding out it's one of the routes to custom firmware. Is
> that any good?

Is this the GB one? Yeah it's pretty decent. The UI is slightly
clunkier than most these days, but not too bad.

-Rus.

Re: More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)

<jfvcijF47mpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1197&group=uk.games.video.misc#1197

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 3 Jun 2022 21:25:39 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 21:25 UTC

On 3 Jun 2022 at 19:38:08 BST, "Russell Marks"
<zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> Reminds me I picked up the (free) Mario Picross for 3DS on the eShop the
>> other day, on finding out it's one of the routes to custom firmware. Is
>> that any good?
>
> Is this the GB one? Yeah it's pretty decent. The UI is slightly
> clunkier than most these days, but not too bad.

I should get the 3DS out and work out how to download stuff on it then
:)

And then CFW it, just on principle.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Nothing is so good that somebody, somewhere will not hate it.
-- Frederik Pohl

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / More Brain Fog (PWBE 30 May 2022)