It is difficult to soar with the eagles when you work with turkeys.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

SubjectAuthor
* Cars are becoming so high techYosemite Sam
+* Cars are becoming so high techalvey
|`- Cars are becoming so high techClocky
+* Cars are becoming so high techkeithr0

Pages:12
Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j78m9bFqqooU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11655&group=aus.cars#11655

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Cars are becoming so high tech
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 14:40:10 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 04:40 UTC

On 18/02/2022 10:44 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 18/02/2022 11:30 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> **Beat me to the punch. I went to Japan in 1988 and was impressed
>>> with that feature.
>>
>> I just thought it was typically strange "Japanese" :)
>>

> **"Strange" would be the taxi driver wearing an official looking hat,
> IMMACULATELY groomed and wearing white gloves. All quite normal in Japan
> though.

Pro tip: if getting a taxi in Tokyo, get one where the driver wears a
green blazer, they are owner drivers who have a vested interest in
keeping their car in one piece, the others aren't called Kamikaze
drivers for nothing. Also they are more likely to speak English and be
polite.

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j78meoFqrlaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11656&group=aus.cars#11656

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 15:43:04 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 04:43 UTC

On 18/02/2022 3:30 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/2/22 12:02 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> The Japanese have always been big on gadgets, friends had a 1978
>>> Toyota Crown a long time ago, I was amazed with the features it had
>>> back then, pretty basic by today's standards but a big deal in 1978.
>>> Nice car but I thought that it was very under powered.
>>
>> Yeah, that was the thing with them. Lots of nice features compared to
>> a Holden or Falcon of the time, but slower than a wet week.
>>

> I think it had a 2.6lt straight 6, not enough power for what was at the
> time a big heavy car.

**I was rear-ended by a 1966 Toyota Crown, when I was in my Escort. I
was pushed into the rear of a Holden panel van. The funny thing was
that, although the Escort was noticeably shorter than before, I was able
to drive it to the panel beater. The Crown had to be towed. I guess
those 'controlled crumple zones' were really a thing and, although very
heavy, the Crown was not particularly well engineered to survive an
accident. Two more things:

* Back then, I used to wear my seat belt tight. REALLY tight. So tight,
that if I reached really hard, my finger tips were about 100mm away from
the dash (i could not squeeze a fist between the belt and my chest -
flat hand, yes). After the accident, most of my finger-tips were bruised
from hitting the dash. I figured that the seat belt stretched quite a bit.

* After I had the car repaired, I showed it to a mechanic. He looked at
the (repaired) damage to the transmission tunnel and expressed the
opinion that I was lucky to survive. He could still spot the ripples.

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j78mkgFqsj7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11657&group=aus.cars#11657

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 15:46:06 +1100
 by: Daryl - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 04:46 UTC

On 18/2/22 3:13 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/02/2022 2:32 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 18/02/2022 10:29 am, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> Another feature I really like on the Hyundai which is a great
>>> convenience is the ability to start the car remotely using the phone
>>> app and set things like the climate control where you want it before
>>> you get to the car. Handy for those times where you go out for an
>>> event and the car is parked in the sun all day making the interior
>>> stink hot. Starting and running the A/C for 5 minutes before you get
>>> to the car and get in makes it *so* much nicer. It's also great to
>>> have the phone app tell you where the car actually is on those
>>> occasions you visit some massive complex that you've never been to
>>> before and are unfamiliar with :)
>>
>> Reversing camera definitely, since I showed the wife that all she had
>> to do was to keep the two yellow lines inside the drive, she hasn't
>> tried to demolish the letter box even once. The other stuff I'm not
>> bovvered about.
>
> I think reverse cameras are vitally important, and should be part of
> every new car's compulsory safety kit. 7 young kids are killed every
> year on average in driveway accidents in this country while another 60
> are injured, and in every one of those cases it was because the driver
> couldn't see them. Now I'm not saying that a reverse camera will prevent
> that from ever happening, but they will certainly go a *very* long way
> to reducing the possibility. Of course, at the end of the day it is the
> driver's responsibility to ensure that it's safe to move their vehicle,
> but adding a device that makes that task easier can only ever be
> beneficial.

Our Golf has by far the best reverse camera I've ever used, the camera
lens stays clean because it is covered by the rear VW badge when not in use.
My old Benz doesn't have a camera but it has rear parking sensors that
work very well, once when reversing into my garage the rear beeper was
going nuts, couldn't see anything so I decided to get out and have a
look, I'd forgotten about the things I'd put on the garage floor
directly behind where I park the car so it pays not to ignore the
warning beeps.

>> I had a remote starter on my Chevy Blazer back last century, it worked
>> from a fob like a garage door opener, I  know that some of the phone
>> app remote starter actually go through the manufacturers website, I
>> don't like that idea much. Tesla owners recently had problem unlocking
>> their cars through the app when the server went down.
>
> Being locked out of your own car would be a pain. I think the Hyundai
> uses it's own modem as does the similar system in the current Ford
> Ranger, but if they went through the factory's website I couldn't care
> less. Aside from where the car is parked and what you want to set you
> climate control to what are they going to learn?
>
> Anyone who has a mobile phone who is worried about "big brother" is not
> really getting it :)

Wife dropped and damaged her phone a couple of days ago so she now has a
new iPhone 13 which has 5G, big brother will really be watching her now:-)

--
Daryl

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<sun917$juu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11660&group=aus.cars#11660

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 15:58:13 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 04:58 UTC

On 18/02/2022 3:30 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/2/22 12:02 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> Yeah, that was the thing with them. Lots of nice features compared to
>> a Holden or Falcon of the time, but slower than a wet week.
>>

> I think it had a 2.6lt straight 6, not enough power for what was at the
> time a big heavy car.

Yeah, I had an Orange one with a Brown vinyl roof for a while years ago,
and while it was kind of cool from a driver's perspective in terms of
comfort you didn't want to be in a hurry to get anywhere. Mine was a 4
speed manual as well. I imagine the auto's were worse.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j78q56Frgn6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11664&group=aus.cars#11664

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:46:13 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 05:46 UTC

On 18/02/2022 3:40 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 18/02/2022 10:44 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> I just thought it was typically strange "Japanese" :)
>>>

>> **"Strange" would be the taxi driver wearing an official looking hat,
>> IMMACULATELY groomed and wearing white gloves. All quite normal in
>> Japan though.
>
> Pro tip: if getting a taxi in Tokyo, get one where the driver wears a
> green blazer, they are owner drivers who have a vested interest in
> keeping their car in one piece, the others aren't called Kamikaze
> drivers for nothing. Also they are more likely to speak English and be
> polite.

**Thanks for the tip. Dunno what it's like now, but back then, 4 people
travelling in a taxi was competitive with rail. My first trip, when this
COVID shit settles down, will be to Japan. It's a fabulous place to
visit. I was wandering, lost, in the back streets of Tokyo at 2.00AM one
day. At no time did I feel unsafe. Can't say the same about LA, for
instance.

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<suncpu$nn8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11665&group=aus.cars#11665

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 17:02:35 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 06:02 UTC

On 18/02/2022 3:43 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 18/02/2022 3:30 pm, Daryl wrote:

>> I think it had a 2.6lt straight 6, not enough power for what was at
>> the time a big heavy car.
>>

> **I was rear-ended by a 1966 Toyota Crown, when I was in my Escort. I
> was pushed into the rear of a Holden panel van. The funny thing was
> that, although the Escort was noticeably shorter than before, I was able
> to drive it to the panel beater. The Crown had to be towed. I guess
> those 'controlled crumple zones' were really a thing and, although very
> heavy, the Crown was not particularly well engineered to survive an
> accident. Two more things:
>
> * Back then, I used to wear my seat belt tight. REALLY tight. So tight,
> that if I reached really hard, my finger tips were about 100mm away from
> the dash (i could not squeeze a fist between the belt and my chest -
> flat hand, yes). After the accident, most of my finger-tips were bruised
> from hitting the dash. I figured that the seat belt stretched quite a bit.

They do stretch a little, but it's usually more a case of your body
compressing.

> * After I had the car repaired, I showed it to a mechanic. He looked at
> the (repaired) damage to the transmission tunnel and expressed the
> opinion that I was lucky to survive. He could still spot the ripples.

It's highly unlikely that the car was damaged enough for the
transmission tunnel to be rippled and you were able to open the doors
and get out let alone drive the thing away. More than likely the
"ripples" he was looking at were the metal pressing irregularities left
behind by the factory's sheet metal stamping process in forming the
transmission tunnel and he just didn't know what he was looking at.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j78tscFs592U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11671&group=aus.cars#11671

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 16:49:48 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 06:49 UTC

On 18/02/2022 3:46 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 18/02/2022 3:40 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> **"Strange" would be the taxi driver wearing an official looking hat,
>>> IMMACULATELY groomed and wearing white gloves. All quite normal in
>>> Japan though.
>>
>> Pro tip: if getting a taxi in Tokyo, get one where the driver wears a
>> green blazer, they are owner drivers who have a vested interest in
>> keeping their car in one piece, the others aren't called Kamikaze
>> drivers for nothing. Also they are more likely to speak English and be
>> polite.
>
> **Thanks for the tip. Dunno what it's like now, but back then, 4 people
> travelling in a taxi was competitive with rail. My first trip, when this
> COVID shit settles down, will be to Japan. It's a fabulous place to
> visit. I was wandering, lost, in the back streets of Tokyo at 2.00AM one
> day. At no time did I feel unsafe. Can't say the same about LA, for
> instance.

I was there in 2019, I'll be back there once all this shit is over, it
won't be in April again though the cherry blossoms are nice, but the
crowds aren't. Actually, I was thinking the other day that I've spent as
much time in Japan as I have in Melbourne, and I know which I prefer :)

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j795htFtijnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11676&group=aus.cars#11676

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 20:00:43 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 09:00 UTC

On 18/02/2022 5:49 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 18/02/2022 3:46 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> Pro tip: if getting a taxi in Tokyo, get one where the driver wears a
>>> green blazer, they are owner drivers who have a vested interest in
>>> keeping their car in one piece, the others aren't called Kamikaze
>>> drivers for nothing. Also they are more likely to speak English and
>>> be polite.
>>
>> **Thanks for the tip. Dunno what it's like now, but back then, 4
>> people travelling in a taxi was competitive with rail. My first trip,
>> when this COVID shit settles down, will be to Japan. It's a fabulous
>> place to visit. I was wandering, lost, in the back streets of Tokyo at
>> 2.00AM one day. At no time did I feel unsafe. Can't say the same about
>> LA, for instance.
>
> I was there in 2019, I'll be back there once all this shit is over, it
> won't be in April again though the cherry blossoms are nice, but the
> crowds aren't. Actually, I was thinking the other day that I've spent as
> much time in Japan as I have in Melbourne, and I know which I prefer :)

**Me too. I was in a 6.7 earthquake when I was there. That was fun. It
woke me and my girlfriend up. She asked: "What's that? Everything is
moving outside."

I said: "Earthquake." As I was pissing everywhere but into the bowl (the
lateral wave had hit by then).

She asked: "What will we do?"

I said: "On the 23rd floor? Nothing. Just hope the Japs know how to
build hotels."

They do.

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<sunntl$uoi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11677&group=aus.cars#11677

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 20:12:21 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 09:12 UTC

On 18/02/2022 5:49 pm, keithr0 wrote:

> I was there in 2019, I'll be back there once all this shit is over, it
> won't be in April again though the cherry blossoms are nice, but the
> crowds aren't. Actually, I was thinking the other day that I've spent as
> much time in Japan as I have in Melbourne, and I know which I prefer :)

Yeah, me too. I'll give you a tip: It ain't Japan.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j79c4mFaudU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11680&group=aus.cars#11680

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 21:53:07 +1100
 by: Daryl - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 10:53 UTC

On 18/2/22 3:43 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 18/02/2022 3:30 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> Yeah, that was the thing with them. Lots of nice features compared to
>>> a Holden or Falcon of the time, but slower than a wet week.
>>>

>> I think it had a 2.6lt straight 6, not enough power for what was at
>> the time a big heavy car.
>>

> **I was rear-ended by a 1966 Toyota Crown, when I was in my Escort. I
> was pushed into the rear of a Holden panel van. The funny thing was
> that, although the Escort was noticeably shorter than before, I was able
> to drive it to the panel beater. The Crown had to be towed. I guess
> those 'controlled crumple zones' were really a thing and, although very
> heavy, the Crown was not particularly well engineered to survive an
> accident.

The idea is for occupants to survive a crash, the car is replaceable.
Not even sure if a 1966 Crown would of had "crumple zones", MB had them
from the late 1950's but later for other manufacturers.

Two more things:

> * Back then, I used to wear my seat belt tight. REALLY tight. So tight,
> that if I reached really hard, my finger tips were about 100mm away from
> the dash (i could not squeeze a fist between the belt and my chest -
> flat hand, yes). After the accident, most of my finger-tips were bruised
> from hitting the dash. I figured that the seat belt stretched quite a bit.

Combination of the seat belt stretching and you compressing:-)

> * After I had the car repaired, I showed it to a mechanic. He looked at
> the (repaired) damage to the transmission tunnel and expressed the
> opinion that I was lucky to survive. He could still spot the ripples.

If the trans tunnel was rippled the car should have been written off.

--
Daryl

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j79chvFdofU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11681&group=aus.cars#11681

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 22:00:12 +1100
 by: Daryl - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 11:00 UTC

On 18/2/22 3:58 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/02/2022 3:30 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 18/2/22 12:02 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> Yeah, that was the thing with them. Lots of nice features compared to
>>> a Holden or Falcon of the time, but slower than a wet week.
>>>

>> I think it had a 2.6lt straight 6, not enough power for what was at
>> the time a big heavy car.
>
> Yeah, I had an Orange one with a Brown vinyl roof for a while years ago,
> and while it was kind of cool from a driver's perspective in terms of
> comfort you didn't want to be in a hurry to get anywhere. Mine was a 4
> speed manual as well. I imagine the auto's were worse.

Manual trans would have been an improvement although I would have though
that a factory manual Crown would have been rare.
I spent some time tuning the car before I realized that no matter what I
did it was never going to perform better.
Same friends also had a slightly later Cressida that had a similar
engine to the Crown but it had noticeably more go.
Been a while since I looked under the bonnet of one but I think that a
nice SBC would turn an old Crown into a nice sleeper:-)

--
Daryl

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j79ct9FgkqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11683&group=aus.cars#11683

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 22:06:15 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 11:06 UTC

On 18/2/2022 2:25 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 18/02/2022 9:24 am, Daryl wrote:

>>> Opening the passenger door from the drivers seat? Japanese taxis had
>>> that back in the 70s.
>>
>> Did they have a mechanism to open and close the doors or just
>> lock/unlock them?
>
> They have/had a series of levers that mechanically opened and closed the
> rear passenger door. If you really want to piss a Tokyo taxi driver off,
> just slam the door as you get out. It really screws up the mechanism.

Buses back in the 50s or 60s had a *driver opened kerbside door* that
didn't require the driver to exit his seat.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j79d0oFgkqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11684&group=aus.cars#11684

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 22:08:07 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 11:08 UTC

On 18/2/2022 3:00 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/02/2022 2:25 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 18/02/2022 9:24 am, Daryl wrote:
>
>> They have/had a series of levers that mechanically opened and closed
>> the rear passenger door. If you really want to piss a Tokyo taxi
>> driver off, just slam the door as you get out. It really screws up the
>> mechanism.
>>
>>> IMHO features like door closing just adds unnecessary complication
>>> and weight, I sort of get why it might be a reasonable idea on
>>> tailgates of high station wagon type vehicles but not for doors.
>>> Maybe on a taxi but not on a private car.
>>>
>> It's mainly a marketing wank. In the 90s there was an early form of
>> broadband available called ISDN. It was commonly reckoned in the trade
>> as "Innovations that Subscribers Don't Need", this seems to be in the
>> same vein to me. It add a lot of complication to solve a problem that
>> doesn't exist.
>
> I'm not sure I understand how that analogy is relevant to anything.
> There is a difference between needing something and wanting something.

Yeah Darren, it's called a real need versus a perceived need. Like your
perceived need for a *truck* to increase your stature.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j79d78FiceU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11685&group=aus.cars#11685

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 22:11:33 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 11:11 UTC

On 18/2/2022 3:13 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/02/2022 2:32 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 18/02/2022 10:29 am, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> Another feature I really like on the Hyundai which is a great
>>> convenience is the ability to start the car remotely using the phone
>>> app and set things like the climate control where you want it before
>>> you get to the car. Handy for those times where you go out for an
>>> event and the car is parked in the sun all day making the interior
>>> stink hot. Starting and running the A/C for 5 minutes before you get
>>> to the car and get in makes it *so* much nicer. It's also great to
>>> have the phone app tell you where the car actually is on those
>>> occasions you visit some massive complex that you've never been to
>>> before and are unfamiliar with :)
>>
>> Reversing camera definitely, since I showed the wife that all she had
>> to do was to keep the two yellow lines inside the drive, she hasn't
>> tried to demolish the letter box even once. The other stuff I'm not
>> bovvered about.
>
> I think reverse cameras are vitally important, and should be part of
> every new car's compulsory safety kit. 7 young kids are killed every
> year on average in driveway accidents in this country while another 60
> are injured, and in every one of those cases it was because the driver
> couldn't see them. Now I'm not saying that a reverse camera will prevent
> that from ever happening, but they will certainly go a *very* long way
> to reducing the possibility. Of course, at the end of the day it is the
> driver's responsibility to ensure that it's safe to move their vehicle,
> but adding a device that makes that task easier can only ever be
> beneficial.

People will come to rely on it way too much and shortcut all the other
checks they make. Nothing like looking after your kids properly. But
then, you're a fine one to talk, you let your kids ride in that unsafe
truck unbelted. You really need a belting for that - around the ears.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j79deuFiceU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11687&group=aus.cars#11687

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 22:15:41 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 11:15 UTC

On 18/2/2022 3:30 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/2/22 12:02 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> The Japanese have always been big on gadgets, friends had a 1978
>>> Toyota Crown a long time ago, I was amazed with the features it had
>>> back then, pretty basic by today's standards but a big deal in 1978.
>>> Nice car but I thought that it was very under powered.
>>
>> Yeah, that was the thing with them. Lots of nice features compared to
>> a Holden or Falcon of the time, but slower than a wet week.
>>

> I think it had a 2.6lt straight 6, not enough power for what was at the
> time a big heavy car.

It had limits placed upon it *in the Japanese market* and they carried
those over to most others at the time. Didn't seem to slow Toyota (the
company) down at all - they just went from strength to strength.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j79e8sFiceU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11691&group=aus.cars#11691

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 22:29:32 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 11:29 UTC

On 18/2/2022 8:12 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 18/02/2022 5:49 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>
>> I was there in 2019, I'll be back there once all this shit is over, it
>> won't be in April again though the cherry blossoms are nice, but the
>> crowds aren't. Actually, I was thinking the other day that I've spent
>> as much time in Japan as I have in Melbourne, and I know which I
>> prefer :)
>
> Yeah, me too. I'll give you a tip: It ain't Japan.

You've only been to Melbourne and never been to Japan so HTF would you
know?

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j79ek9Fr52U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11692&group=aus.cars#11692

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 22:35:34 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 11:35 UTC

On 18/2/2022 9:53 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/2/22 3:43 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> I think it had a 2.6lt straight 6, not enough power for what was at
>>> the time a big heavy car.
>>>

>> **I was rear-ended by a 1966 Toyota Crown, when I was in my Escort. I
>> was pushed into the rear of a Holden panel van. The funny thing was
>> that, although the Escort was noticeably shorter than before, I was
>> able to drive it to the panel beater. The Crown had to be towed. I
>> guess those 'controlled crumple zones' were really a thing and,
>> although very heavy, the Crown was not particularly well engineered to
>> survive an accident.
>
> The idea is for occupants to survive a crash, the car is replaceable.
> Not even sure if a 1966 Crown would of had "crumple zones", MB had them
> from the late 1950's but later for other manufacturers.

The 66 Crown had a separate *Cruciform Chassis* so no, no crumple zone.

>  Two more things:
>>
>> * Back then, I used to wear my seat belt tight. REALLY tight. So
>> tight, that if I reached really hard, my finger tips were about 100mm
>> away from the dash (i could not squeeze a fist between the belt and my
>> chest - flat hand, yes). After the accident, most of my finger-tips
>> were bruised from hitting the dash. I figured that the seat belt
>> stretched quite a bit.
>
> Combination of the seat belt stretching and you compressing:-)
>>
>> * After I had the car repaired, I showed it to a mechanic. He looked
>> at the (repaired) damage to the transmission tunnel and expressed the
>> opinion that I was lucky to survive. He could still spot the ripples.
>
> If the trans tunnel was rippled the car should have been written off.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<suo4kr$5lg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11694&group=aus.cars#11694

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 23:49:31 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 12:49 UTC

On 18/02/2022 9:53 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/2/22 3:43 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>> * After I had the car repaired, I showed it to a mechanic. He looked
>> at the (repaired) damage to the transmission tunnel and expressed the
>> opinion that I was lucky to survive. He could still spot the ripples.
>
> If the trans tunnel was rippled the car should have been written off.

I would think so. It takes a pretty significant hit to bend a car in
that area.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<suo4ur$dec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11696&group=aus.cars#11696

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 23:54:48 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 12:54 UTC

On 18/02/2022 10:00 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 18/2/22 3:58 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> I think it had a 2.6lt straight 6, not enough power for what was at
>>> the time a big heavy car.
>>
>> Yeah, I had an Orange one with a Brown vinyl roof for a while years
>> ago, and while it was kind of cool from a driver's perspective in
>> terms of comfort you didn't want to be in a hurry to get anywhere.
>> Mine was a 4 speed manual as well. I imagine the auto's were worse.
>>

> Manual trans would have been an improvement although I would have though
> that a factory manual Crown would have been rare.

Don't know. It's the only one I've ever had anything to do with.

It was a '73 or '74 model if I remember correctly, and while it was a
nice drive compared to a 6 cylinder Holden, Ford or Valiant of the day
it was quite under powered. The manual trans was pretty vague as well.

Comfortable car to cruise in though.

> I spent some time tuning the car before I realized that no matter what I
> did it was never going to perform better.
> Same friends also had a slightly later Cressida that had a similar
> engine to the Crown but it had noticeably more go.
> Been a while since I looked under the bonnet of one but I think that a
> nice SBC would turn an old Crown into a nice sleeper:-)

A nice SBC turns just about anything into a nice sleeper :)

I never had the Toyota long. Swapped it for a HQ ute with a 253 manual
if I recall, although I don't remember what happened to that. I probably
swapped that for a pair of heads or something :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<15umn7we6qayu$.1242lnwldxaa1.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11699&group=aus.cars#11699

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 06:17:45 +1000
 by: alvey - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 20:17 UTC

On Fri, 18 Feb 2022 20:12:21 +1100, Noddy wrote:

> On 18/02/2022 5:49 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>
>> I was there in 2019, I'll be back there once all this shit is over, it
>> won't be in April again though the cherry blossoms are nice, but the
>> crowds aren't. Actually, I was thinking the other day that I've spent as
>> much time in Japan as I have in Melbourne, and I know which I prefer :)
>
> Yeah, me too. I'll give you a tip: It ain't Japan.

Spectacular comprehension Fail there by the Fraudster.
And of course, a lie. The Fraudster has never been to Japan. (Which, as it
reads, is only one less than keith).

alvey

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<1nqtqrsp23hq7.15d2aiidrc99j$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11700&group=aus.cars#11700

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 06:18:45 +1000
 by: alvey - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 20:18 UTC

On Fri, 18 Feb 2022 22:29:32 +1100, Xeno wrote:

> On 18/2/2022 8:12 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 18/02/2022 5:49 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>
>>> I was there in 2019, I'll be back there once all this shit is over, it
>>> won't be in April again though the cherry blossoms are nice, but the
>>> crowds aren't. Actually, I was thinking the other day that I've spent
>>> as much time in Japan as I have in Melbourne, and I know which I
>>> prefer :)
>>
>> Yeah, me too. I'll give you a tip: It ain't Japan.
>>
> You've only been to Melbourne and never been to Japan so HTF would you
> know?

He doesn't. It's just a "me too".

alvey

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<j7lgt0Famm9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11933&group=aus.cars#11933

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 12:28:47 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 01:28 UTC

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZZ1Hc-hfKs/

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam
"His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by

Re: Cars are becoming so high tech

<sv439d$im2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=11934&group=aus.cars#11934

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 09:39:58 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 01:39 UTC

On 23/02/2022 9:28 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 18/02/2022 7:41 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>>
>> https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZFLExDIvk5/
>>
>> https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZG0i0fq3jQ/
>>

> https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZZ1Hc-hfKs/

Your don't have to duck... if you're 4'8" :-)