From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Questioning the police
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 17:53:29 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 17:53 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67366748

<quotes>

For any public figure to question the integrity of the police would be incendiary.

For the home secretary to do it is astonishing.

That is not to say she is necessarily wrong: I regularly hear, in private, concerns from some Conservatives about the policing of demonstrations.

Plenty, including those in policing, would acknowledge it is perfectly legitimate for politicians to scrutinise the work of any vital, publicly funded organisations.

There are a blizzard of complicating factors the police have to juggle, not least the scale of what confronts them.

</quotes>

I would say not least that most protesting are simply exercising their right to peacefully protests and it's not criminal just because the Home Secretary doesn't like what they have to say.

Her complaint isn't legitimate, that the police are doing anything wrong or badly. They are doing the right thing, simply not doing what she wants them to do.

That she wants to shut lawful protest down is no reason the police should oblige her. It would be utterly wrong to do so, and the police themselves know this.

And, again not least, policing is by consent, and doing something so utterly outrageous as silencing legitimate voices, acting as a personal police force for the Home Secretary, may well remove that consent.

Still, it's good to see the police standing up against extreme fascism.

I wouldn't even be surprised if police lawyers haven't been pondering whether they can have her arrested for hate crimes or worse.

Re: Questioning the police

<eCk3N.12$G9N5.6@fx04.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12029&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#12029

From: ngspamme...@yahoo.com (TWP)
Subject: Re: Questioning the police
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 07:04:42 GMT
 by: TWP - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 07:04 UTC

On Thu, 09 Nov 2023 17:53:29 +0000, The Happy Hippy wrote:

> That she wants to shut lawful protest down is no reason the police
> should oblige her. It would be utterly wrong to do so, and the police
> themselves know this.

It's not just about freedom. I'm not keen on the timing but a
demonstration is a better way to release pressure than some of the other
choices available.

The government don't usually take any notice of protests anyway.

Re: Questioning the police

<20231110153300.00000a4b@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12032&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#12032

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:33:00 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:33 UTC

On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 07:04:42 GMT
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Nov 2023 17:53:29 +0000, The Happy Hippy wrote:
>

> > That she wants to shut lawful protest down is no reason the police
> > should oblige her. It would be utterly wrong to do so, and the
> > police themselves know this.
>
> It's not just about freedom. I'm not keen on the timing but a
> demonstration is a better way to release pressure than some of the
> other choices available.
>
> The government don't usually take any notice of protests anyway.

No. The reason it has now become such a thing is two-fold; we haven't had any government so fascistic and intolerant as this one, and the government is deeply afraid that highlighting the evil our government is supporting will have people come to see the government as supporting evil, evil itself, and will turn upon them.

It's a classic case of trying to silence those who dare speak truth to power.

All Home Secretaries turn into rabid authoritarians after a couple of days of drinking Home Office Tea but Braverman has taken things to a whole new level of hatred and extremism.

What has incensed Braverman is Sir Mark saying he'll arrest those committing crimes and throw the book at them but won't criminalise those who are merely exercising their legal right to protest, their legal right to legitimate free speech.

Like all fascists, Braverman wants to criminalise speech she and her government doesn't want to hear, doesn't want disseminated. She's furious that Sir Mark is respecting the law of this land and not doing as she wants, not acting as the Stasi she wants them to be.

Braverman wants to ban dissent, wants State Police to assist her in achieving that, wants the courts to punish dissent. We have never had a Home Secretary go that far, a government this extreme.

It's unbelievable that Sunak hasn't sacked her for this anti-Democratic bullshit but right-wing votes are all he has and he's afraid of losing the far right to Farage and others.

We have asked over the years; how did Hitler come to power ? We are pretty much seeing one aspect of that right now.