Software, n.: Formal evening attire for female computer analysts.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: OT Advice

SubjectAuthor
* OT AdviceTim Lamb
+* Re: OT AdviceIan Jackson
|+* Re: OT Advicefred
||+* Re: OT AdviceIan Jackson
|||`* Re: OT Advicefred
||| `* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|||  `- Re: OT Advicefred
||`- Re: OT AdviceSpike
|`* Re: OT Advicealan_m
| +* Re: OT Advicealan_m
| |+* Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
| ||`* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
| || `* Re: OT AdviceJoe
| ||  +- Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
| ||  `- Re: OT AdviceThe Natural Philosopher
| |`- Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
| +* Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
| |`- Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
| `* Re: OT AdvicePeter Johnson
|  +- Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|  `- Re: OT Advicealan_m
+* Re: OT AdviceAndy Burns
|`* Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
| `* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|  `* Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
|   +* Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
|   |+* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|   ||`- Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
|   |`* Re: OT AdviceThe Natural Philosopher
|   | +* Re: OT AdviceAndy Burns
|   | |+* Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
|   | ||`- Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|   | |`- Re: OT AdviceThe Natural Philosopher
|   | `* Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
|   |  `* Re: OT AdviceThe Natural Philosopher
|   |   `- Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
|   +* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|   |`* Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
|   | `* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|   |  `* Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
|   |   `* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|   |    `- Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
|   `- Re: OT AdviceThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|`* Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
| `* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|  `* Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
|   `* Re: OT AdviceJohn Rumm
|    `- Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
`* Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
 `* Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb
  +- Re: OT AdviceTim Streater
  `* Re: OT Advicetony sayer
   `- Re: OT AdviceTim Lamb

Pages:123
Re: OT Advice

<l693joFqkuqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=120542&group=uk.d-i-y#120542

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT Advice
Date: 23 Mar 2024 22:32:24 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 22:32 UTC

On 23 Mar 2024 at 18:47:46 GMT, "John Rumm" <see.my.signature@nowhere.null>
wrote:

> On 23/03/2024 17:37, Tim Streater wrote:
>> On 23 Mar 2024 at 17:20:04 GMT, "John Rumm" <see.my.signature@nowhere.null>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> (I must admit to never feeling the need to write my own mail client,
>>> although I have had need to write my own mail server in the past)
>>
>> Eudora stopped being developed and no one seemed to have anything to touch it
>> (IMO). Then I wondered if a combination of a browser window, javascript, AJAX,
>> apache, and PHP could be used to present a credible email client interface to
>> an unsuspecting user. Eventually I got fed up enough with the browser makers
>> fiddling with what a browser was allowed to do that I rewrote the whole thing
>> in Xojo as a proper desktop application. The two versions look remarkably
>> alike, so I was quite pleased with that.
>
> Nice.
>
> Til then I had not heard of Xojo :-)
>
> The language platform looks interesting - somewhat akin to an OO Basic,
> with hints of OO Pascal tied up with a fairly rich component library.
>
> Ta for the pointer

You're welcome. It's nice for x-platform stuff, they also support mobile (iOS,
Android), and web apps. It used to be known as RealBasic, AIUI.

--
Tim

Re: OT Advice

<2DPt5Lq52+$lFwwo@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=120561&group=uk.d-i-y#120561

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 09:09:13 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 09:09 UTC

In message <utnjl4$3srq3$3@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 23/03/2024 19:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
>> In message <utn2mi$3oens$13@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
>><tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>>>
>>> Do you own the domain? If you do the answer is yes
>> Hmm. I pay an annual *rent* to Namesco.
>>>
>>hThat is technically to host the nameserver records for the domain
>>that
>*you* own.

Ok. I think I have enough to pressure Namesco. Thanks.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: OT Advice

<084+BVCYuCAmFwG1@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=120573&group=uk.d-i-y#120573

From: ton...@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 13:33:12 +0000
 by: tony sayer - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 13:33 UTC

In article <CvNgS7bxee$lFw0W@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
<tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> scribeth thus
>In message <l65t47FblgrU1@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater
><tim@streater.me.uk> writes
>>On 22 Mar 2024 at 12:44:17 GMT, "Tim Lamb" <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Back in 1995 or so, when my daughter got me signed up with Demon so she
>>> could communicate easily from university, I had no involvement with the
>>> process.
>>> When Vodafone finally dropped Demon, I transferred to Namesco without
>>> actually understanding the practicalities.
>>>
>>> Various bits have been added by Namesco at further cost so I wonder if
>>> someone could kindly fill in some of my knowledge gaps:-)
>>>
>>> Apparently I am paying for two mail services but only using one (tim@).
>>
>>I went with a hosting company (mythic-beasts.co.uk) and paid for a domain for
>>my use (Plusnet provides the transfer of the bits). So there's an annual fee
>>for "owning" a domain, and an annual fee for M-B to host it - but in that
>>second annual fee, I can have as many domains hosted as I like. With the
>>hosting come as many mail addresses as I feel like setting up with them, all
>>included. With that you get SMTP, POP3 (and I suppose IMAP but I don't use
>>that). Plus I could set up a web site for any domain I "own", too. Which I do
>>for a couple of others.
>>
>>> marford.uk.com is billed as a domain but not used for any business
>>> activities.
>>
>>Tell 'em to cancel it then.
>
>I may do that! Namesco are not cheap.
>
>domain cost £57.99, Authenticated SMTP £35.99 and two x 2GB mailboxes
>(GEN 2) at £65.89!

They sent me a bill like that this year which i protested about it
reduced to around 70 odd quid!...
--
Tony Sayer

Re: OT Advice

<ll7JwCsUHJAmFwV3@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=120585&group=uk.d-i-y#120585

From: tim...@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 20:49:24 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 20:49 UTC

In message <084+BVCYuCAmFwG1@bancom.co.uk>, tony sayer
<tony@bancom.co.uk> writes
>In article <CvNgS7bxee$lFw0W@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb
><tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> scribeth thus
>>In message <l65t47FblgrU1@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater
>><tim@streater.me.uk> writes

>>>I went with a hosting company (mythic-beasts.co.uk) and paid for a domain for
>>>my use (Plusnet provides the transfer of the bits). So there's an annual fee
>>>for "owning" a domain, and an annual fee for M-B to host it - but in that
>>>second annual fee, I can have as many domains hosted as I like. With the
>>>hosting come as many mail addresses as I feel like setting up with them, all
>>>included. With that you get SMTP, POP3 (and I suppose IMAP but I don't use
>>>that). Plus I could set up a web site for any domain I "own", too. Which I do
>>>for a couple of others.

>>>Tell 'em to cancel it then.
>>
>>I may do that! Namesco are not cheap.
>>
>>domain cost £57.99, Authenticated SMTP £35.99 and two x 2GB mailboxes
>>(GEN 2) at £65.89!
>>

>They sent me a bill like that this year which i protested about it
>reduced to around 70 odd quid!...

Thanks Tony. I'm winding up a pretended departure with a reluctant
acceptance of a lower fee gambit:-)

Hope they are not reading this!

--
Tim Lamb