Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Yank Bank Holiday Play Want Bin (PWBE 20 Jun 2022)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 19:37:57 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 00:37 UTC

Juneteenth is a new bank holiday in the States, a commemoration of the
emancipation of the slaves. That it took 150 years to recognise the
momentous value of that act sort of tells you how slow progress has been
since then.

Play:
--=--

Nier Automata (PS4) - After two weeks with this I have only some
complaints. Chief of which is that the game doesn't really merit the
multiple ending and muiltiple viewpoint conceit that its predecessor
pulled off effortlessly. The original Nier (in either his boy or man
form) was single-minded in his motivation and so was content to outright
ignore the conflict going on in the rest of the world, and it was an
entirely relatable motivation. The same method applied in Automata just
amounts to unreliable narrator storytelling out of order, which isn't
nearly as satisfying. Oh, I'm through the first ending (and got one of
the joke endings by accident because the map doesn't automatically make
north the top of the screen) and I'm gently winding my way towards
another ending. I may not get there.

Migrating ISPs (RL) - I was wrong, it wasn't 1997. I sent my first
e-mail from Illuminati Online in 1993, which means that I was relying on
this architecture and set of servers for nearly 30 years. I'd been
overpaying for multiple shell accounts in the hopes that the current
shop in charge of the old system would keep it running forever, but
they're sensibly closing up shop because everybody's consolidating onto
one of a dozen-or-so providers at this point. Hat tip to Jaimie, who
turned me on to Mythic Beasts for hosting. I'm now running e-mail and
shell services out in the UK, which satisfies my requirement to have
uptime that's independent of the US power grid. Spent a tense week with
my network architect hat on hoping that all the DNS changes would work,
and being annoyed with my first and second choice of shell providers not
being responsive or fit for task.

Want:
--=--

Taito Milestones (Switch) - So December is the current estimate for when
I'll get my Strictly Limited order. But Amazon is selling the US-region
cart for half off. I'll have that.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $2,671

Taito Milestones (Switch) - $26

Total to date - $2,697

-KKC, who needs to install some spellchecking libraries on his new system.

Re: Yank Bank Holiday Play Want Bin (PWBE 20 Jun 2022)

<agZrK.193911$Q381.130389@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1204&group=uk.games.video.misc#1204

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Yank Bank Holiday Play Want Bin (PWBE 20 Jun 2022)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:56:54 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:56 UTC

> Play:

Did I really miss last week? Bah. To be fair, it wouldn't have been
half as exciting as this:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (PSP) - sandboxy stuff.

> I was wrong, it wasn't 1997.

I feel like that some days.

> Want:

To try Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear To The Rescue (PS1) on PS4, that
being the only PS1 game on PSN I got a free "upgrade" for so far.

> Bin:

The Namco PS1 games on PS4/PS5 seemingly being only for PS+++ even if
you bought them outright on PS3. So much for Mr. Driller and Tekken 2
I guess. Also, the pricing generally is weird - one Worms game is $5
and another is $10? Really?

-Rus.

Re: Yank Bank Holiday Play Want Bin (PWBE 20 Jun 2022)

<cpOdnZQIsqMP7S3_nZ2dnUU7-aOdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1205&group=uk.games.video.misc#1205

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 08:05:22 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:05 UTC

In article <agZrK.193911$Q381.130389@usenetxs.com>,
Russell Marks <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
>Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>
>> Play:
>
>Did I really miss last week? Bah. To be fair, it wouldn't have been
>half as exciting as this:
>
>Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (PSP) - sandboxy stuff.

We both missed it. I was busy and distracted.

>> Bin:
>
>The Namco PS1 games on PS4/PS5 seemingly being only for PS+++ even if
>you bought them outright on PS3. So much for Mr. Driller and Tekken 2
>I guess. Also, the pricing generally is weird - one Worms game is $5
>and another is $10? Really?

I've never felt that the online services were anything but predatory and
exploitative even as they might confere massive benefits. If only there
were a way to own some of those games on some kind of permanent media
that always confered a perpetual licence to play.

Probably it's a little bit hypocritical for me to feel this way and to
still take on ownership of the free titles from Games with Gold for the
duration of my GamePass (or whatever it is Microsoft is calling their
service these days). But even then I'm only downloading the 360 games
because those are the ones I can continue to own after the subscription
runs out.

-KKC, who is getting all his spam e-mail on schedule today.

Re: Yank Bank Holiday Play Want Bin (PWBE 20 Jun 2022)

<7LdsK.199682$Q381.151233@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1206&group=uk.games.video.misc#1206

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 06:42:11 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 21 Jun 2022 06:42 UTC

> Russell Marks <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>>The Namco PS1 games on PS4/PS5 seemingly being only for PS+++ even if
>>you bought them outright on PS3. So much for Mr. Driller and Tekken 2
>>I guess. Also, the pricing generally is weird - one Worms game is $5
>>and another is $10? Really?
>>

> I've never felt that the online services were anything but predatory and
> exploitative even as they might confere massive benefits.

Pretty much.

> If only there were a way to own some of those games on some kind of
> permanent media that always confered a perpetual licence to play.

To be fair, I do have a Mr. Driller disc sitting about a metre away,
and Tekken 2 maybe two metres. :-)

-Rus.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Re: Yank Bank Holiday Play Want Bin (PWBE 20 Jun 2022)