One can't proceed from the informal to the formal by formal means.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)

SubjectAuthor
* Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
+* Re: Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)Jaimie Vandenbergh
|`* Re: Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
| +- Re: Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
| `- Re: Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)Jaimie Vandenbergh
`- Re: Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)Russell Marks

1
Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)

<j4-dneTEyNDgrF__nZ2dnUU7-K2dnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1209&group=uk.games.video.misc#1209

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 19:17:01 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 00:17 UTC

Oh good. There's no way anybody would conflate patriotism and
nationalism in such a way that would justify harming one's neighbours.

Play:
--=--

Nothing - Yet. It's a long yank bank holiday for me, so I still have all
day to care for my mother-in-law and resolve complicated insurance
issues and clean my house and rebuild the garden retaining wall. And
possibly cram in some video games wot I profess to love so much that I
post about it on the Internet once a week.

Want:
--=--

More time (RL) - Well, I can certainly find time to shop still.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $2,726

Bard's Tale (PS4) - $30
Bard's Tale (Vita) - $30
Procession to Calvary (PS4) - $30
Procession to Calvary (Switch) - $30
Intellivision Vol 2 (Evercade) - $20
Morphcat (Evercade) - $20

Total to date - $2,886

-KKC, who hopes to get some time to himself today.

Re: Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)

<jig19iFu6s7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1210&group=uk.games.video.misc#1210

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 4 Jul 2022 11:29:54 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 11:29 UTC

On 4 Jul 2022 at 01:17:01 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> Oh good. There's no way anybody would conflate patriotism and
> nationalism in such a way that would justify harming one's neighbours.

Happy fireworks-blow-hands-off day!

> Play:
> --=--
>
> Nothing

Nothing for me. Been all full of covid.

> Want:
> --=--

The obvious.

> Bin:
> -==-

The obvious.

> Expenditure:
> -----=-----
>
> Balance forward - $2,726
>
> Bard's Tale (PS4) - $30
> Bard's Tale (Vita) - $30

I've not played that since it was out on the Amiga. Any idea if it holds
up?

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Hey T-Rex! This ice cream cake is delicious!"
"Thanks! You don't think it tastes like... *philosophical compromise*?"

Re: Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)

<GvGdnQHb96zmSl__nZ2dnUU7-QmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1211&group=uk.games.video.misc#1211

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 07:05:15 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 12:05 UTC

In article <jig19iFu6s7U1@mid.individual.net>,
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>On 4 Jul 2022 at 01:17:01 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
><kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>

>> Oh good. There's no way anybody would conflate patriotism and
>> nationalism in such a way that would justify harming one's neighbours.
>
>Happy fireworks-blow-hands-off day!

I was thinking more along the lines of people loving their country so
much that they want to march on the government and depose rightfully
elected officials. But yeah, the other thing isn't much fun either.

>> Expenditure:
>> -----=-----
>>
>> Balance forward - $2,726
>>
>> Bard's Tale (PS4) - $30
>> Bard's Tale (Vita) - $30
>
>I've not played that since it was out on the Amiga. Any idea if it holds
>up?

These two are actually the Inxile Diablo clones from 2004-ish or so,
originally released on the PS2 and Gamecube. Red Art Games in la belle
France put out a PS4 disc and a Vita cart and I decided that I wanted
the Vita cart. I'm still also trying time to find the remix of the
*original* original game from the 1980s which came out five years ago to
support Bard's Tale IV and has many creature comforts and improvements.

The old game doesn't really hold up unless you have a deep affection for
Wizardry-type games. There's nothing there that a modern gamer (raised
on Skyrim and JRPGs) would ever want to revisit.

-KKC, making French toast.

Re: Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)

<g6-dnVxouOs-RF__nZ2dnUU7-UPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1212&group=uk.games.video.misc#1212

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 07:14:27 -0500
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 12:14 UTC

In article <GvGdnQHb96zmSl__nZ2dnUU7-QmdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
>In article <jig19iFu6s7U1@mid.individual.net>,
>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>>On 4 Jul 2022 at 01:17:01 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
>><kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>>
>>> Expenditure:
>>> -----=-----
>>>
>>> Balance forward - $2,726
>>>
>>> Bard's Tale (PS4) - $30
>>> Bard's Tale (Vita) - $30
>>
>>I've not played that since it was out on the Amiga. Any idea if it holds
>>up?
>>

>These two are actually the Inxile Diablo clones from 2004-ish or so,
>originally released on the PS2 and Gamecube. Red Art Games in la belle

<snip>

Sorry, not Gamecube, OG Xbox. They also did Android and iOS ports. And
Ouya of all things, because for a little while they were trying to port
that version of Bard's Tale to everything. I've had the PS2 copy since
launch and I've never, ever played it.

-KKC, who should have doubled the custard in the toast.

Re: Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)

<jig6ubFg67U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1213&group=uk.games.video.misc#1213

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 4 Jul 2022 13:06:19 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 13:06 UTC

On 4 Jul 2022 at 13:05:15 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> In article <jig19iFu6s7U1@mid.individual.net>,
> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>> On 4 Jul 2022 at 01:17:01 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
>> <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>>

>>> Bard's Tale (PS4) - $30
>>> Bard's Tale (Vita) - $30
>>
>> I've not played that since it was out on the Amiga. Any idea if it holds
>> up?
>>

> These two are actually the Inxile Diablo clones from 2004-ish or so,

Ah, I'd completely forgotten about those. I was mildly surprised at a
Vita release, that makes more sense.

> originally released on the PS2 and Gamecube. Red Art Games in la belle
> France put out a PS4 disc and a Vita cart and I decided that I wanted
> the Vita cart. I'm still also trying time to find the remix of the
> *original* original game from the 1980s which came out five years ago to
> support Bard's Tale IV and has many creature comforts and improvements.

There's the one I was thinking of!

> The old game doesn't really hold up unless you have a deep affection for
> Wizardry-type games. There's nothing there that a modern gamer (raised
> on Skyrim and JRPGs) would ever want to revisit.
>
> -KKC, making French toast.

Enjoy :)

Cheers - Jaimie

--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo
- H G Wells

Re: Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)

<2rIwK.391054$yKw9.7174@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1214&group=uk.games.video.misc#1214

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 20:53:18 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 20:53 UTC

> Play:

Minetest (Linux) - with the default "Minetest Game" sandbox, so no
baddies, just the mining and the crafting and that. Really I was just
giving it a quick try out of curiosity having seen some screenshots,
but ended up messing about for hours.

Freedoom (Linux) - specifically Phase 1 running on PrBoom+, i.e. what
Debian^WRaspberry Pi OS runs if you install the "freedoom" package and
run "freedoom1". This is a complete replacement for all of the Doom
data AFAICT, and enough was changed that it's a bit odd, but enough is
the same that it's also a bit familiar. A weird experience, but not
bad. What I can say after a few levels is that it seems a bit tight
with health, even on the default difficulty.

> Want:

Probably to try "proper" Minecraft at some point, though I suspect I
might end up preferring Minetest. Fewer spiders at least.

> Bin:

That fairly obscure arcade-port shmup on PSN (Game Tengoku) not really
looking like my sort of thing as it turned out.

Minetest getting really, really dark at night. I suppose this is to
encourage you to make torches, but it seems a bit excessive. I wonder
if there might be a gamma issue of some description, maybe with my
setup.

Minecraft (Linux) - I did try this briefly, as (what I think is) an
old limited version comes with Raspberry Pi OS still, but for some
reason the mouse control seems really busted with the keyboard-mouse I
generally use.

-Rus.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Violent Revolution Play Want Bin (PWBE 4 Jul 2022)