From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Paging the Pi-Hole users (Boots?)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:39:39 +0100
 by: siwilson - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 19:39 UTC

I installed it recently without doing much research. I was hoping it
might help with YouTube ads.

Unfortunately it does not.

It's quite amazing how many lookups it does block though, about 30%.

One thing that seems to coincide with installing it, it when typing
either Facebook posts/comments, ot WhatsApp messages, sometimes the
speed of characters appearing on screen slows to a crawl.

Have you ever noticed this? I guess it's trying to reach some snoop
server multiple times.

Actually happened when typing this message too, so it's not just a FB thing.

Weird.

--
/Simon

Re: Paging the Pi-Hole users (Boots?)

<MPG.3d9ecc7aef5750e2989778@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12060&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#12060

From: petrol...@gmail.com (petrolcan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Paging the Pi-Hole users (Boots?)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 22:26:57 +0100
 by: petrolcan - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 21:26 UTC

In article <jpjm82FiqeiU1@mid.individual.net>, siwilson says...

> I installed it recently without doing much research. I was hoping it
> might help with YouTube ads.
>
> Unfortunately it does not.
>
> It's quite amazing how many lookups it does block though, about 30%.
>
> One thing that seems to coincide with installing it, it when typing
> either Facebook posts/comments, ot WhatsApp messages, sometimes the
> speed of characters appearing on screen slows to a crawl.
>
> Have you ever noticed this? I guess it's trying to reach some snoop
> server multiple times.
>
> Actually happened when typing this message too, so it's not just a FB thing.
>
> Weird.

I don't get any youtube ads but I think that may be the ublock origin extension doing the heavy
lifting there rather than pihole itself.

Never noticed an issue with speed of characters when typing either.

Re: Paging the Pi-Hole users (Boots?)

<188b05b7-a48a-19ce-6c85-8002521f70f9@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12061&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#12061

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 00:57:31 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 23:57 UTC

Freetube. <https://freetubeapp.io>

--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS

Re: Paging the Pi-Hole users (Boots?)

<p7af0j-rl3.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12062&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#12062

From: new...@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 09:50:17 +0800
 by: Boots - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 01:50 UTC

On 29/09/2022 03:39 siwilson penned these words:
> I installed it recently without doing much research. I was hoping it
> might help with YouTube ads.

YouTube serve their ads from the same IP, DNS blocking only works *if* it is a
separate source. I use uBlock too and never see ads on YouTube other than the in
video sponsored section some creators have but you can always FF through that.

> Unfortunately it does not.
>
> It's quite amazing how many lookups it does block though, about 30%.
>
> One thing that seems to coincide with installing it, it when typing
> either Facebook posts/comments, ot WhatsApp messages, sometimes the
> speed of characters appearing on screen slows to a crawl.

I don't have any such issues. I have 2x for redundancy one runs on a Pi4b the
the other on a Debian VM on my NAS.

> Have you ever noticed this? I guess it's trying to reach some snoop
> server multiple times.

It should cache, does not do multiple lookups online so subsequent lookups to
the same address should be almost instantaneous. You can in the graphs see the
%age of queries that are cached, in my case 15% on the PI 60% on the NAS[1].

> Actually happened when typing this message too, so it's not just a FB thing.
>
> Weird

What are you using for upstream DNS. I started using Stubby
URL:https://dnsprivacy.org/dns_privacy_daemon_-_stubby/ but have recently
switched to using Unbound as a recursive server
URL:https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/dns/unbound/ both worked, I think Unbound is
faster but I did not really measure.

As in the support discord, they're very helpful. Might ask for debug logs can
use the gui or pihole -d

[1] At 01:00 it backs up online and does numerous lookups to onedrive, the
majority of which will be cached.

--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: Paging the Pi-Hole users (Boots?)

<jpkr4bFo4o5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12064&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#12064

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 07:09:14 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 06:09 UTC

siwilson wrote:

> sometimes the speed of characters appearing on screen slows to a crawl [...]
> Actually happened when typing this message too

HTAF can a pi-hole affect thunderbird, which is running locally not web-based?
I severely doubt mozilla are snooping your keystrokes and sending them back to
the mothership ...

Re: Paging the Pi-Hole users (Boots?)

<jq0sofFl5cpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12098&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#12098

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 20:50:38 +0100
 by: siwilson - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 19:50 UTC

On 29/09/2022 07:09, Andy Burns wrote:
> siwilson wrote:
>
>> sometimes the speed of characters appearing on screen slows to a crawl
>> [...] Actually happened when typing this message too
>
> HTAF can a pi-hole affect thunderbird, which is running locally not
> web-based? I severely doubt mozilla are snooping your keystrokes and
> sending them back to the mothership ...

Maybe it's a Russian keylogger/virus/root-kit/malware thingy

<Adjusts tin foil hat>

--
/Simon

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: Paging the Pi-Hole users (Boots?)