The philosopher's treatment of a question is like the treatment of an illness. -- Wittgenstein.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Treatment for speedwell in lawn

SubjectAuthor
* Treatment for speedwell in lawnPaul G
+* Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawnMartin Brown
|`* Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawnThe Natural Philosopher
| `- Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawnJeff Layman
`* Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawnAnother John
 `* Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawnMartin Brown
  `* Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawnThe Natural Philosopher
   +- Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawnJeff Layman
   `* Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawnMartin Brown
    `- Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawnThe Natural Philosopher

1
Treatment for speedwell in lawn

<ima2e7Fe0nuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1212&group=uk.rec.gardening#1212

From: nos...@msn.com (Paul G)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Treatment for speedwell in lawn
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 10:37:10 +0100
 by: Paul G - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 09:37 UTC

My experience suggests over-the-counter products such as Weedol et al.
are not very effective.

I see Praxys is recommended but this is for professional use. I don't
have hectares to treat and 2Ltrs is overkill (and close to £100).

Should I be looking for a local professional to come & dose my lawn
(with Praxys) ? What do others suggest ?

Thanks Paul

Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawn

<sdov7n$1vu8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1213&group=uk.rec.gardening#1213

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawn
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 13:46:46 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 12:46 UTC

On 27/07/2021 10:37, Paul G wrote:
> My experience suggests over-the-counter products such as Weedol et al.
> are not very effective.
>
> I see Praxys is recommended but this is for professional use. I don't
> have hectares to treat and 2Ltrs is overkill (and close to £100).
>
> Should I be looking for a local professional to come & dose my lawn
> (with Praxys) ? What do others suggest ?

Learn to live with some speedwell in your lawn or look for a product
like Weedol broadleaf herbicide that has fluroxypyr in it. Buying
consumer weedkillers these days is crazy since you cannot rely on the
brandname to tell you what the active ingredient is any more.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=326

It is true that most things available to the home user are not able to
see speedwell off so if you must kill it get in a pro.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawn

<sds3te$kop$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1214&group=uk.rec.gardening#1214

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 18:25:01 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 17:25 UTC

On 27/07/2021 13:46, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 27/07/2021 10:37, Paul G wrote:
>> My experience suggests over-the-counter products such as Weedol et al.
>> are not very effective.
>>
>> I see Praxys is recommended but this is for professional use. I don't
>> have hectares to treat and 2Ltrs is overkill (and close to £100).
>>
>> Should I be looking for a local professional to come & dose my lawn
>> (with Praxys) ? What do others suggest ?
>
> Learn to live with some speedwell in your lawn or look for a product
> like Weedol broadleaf herbicide that has fluroxypyr in it.

It appears not to be approved in the UK and only some EU countries

Buying
> consumer weedkillers these days is crazy since you cannot rely on the
> brandname to tell you what the active ingredient is any more.
>
> https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=326
>
> It is true that most things available to the home user are not able to
> see speedwell off so if you must kill it get in a pro.

Lucas Bergkamp

Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawn

<sds69b$jgr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1215&group=uk.rec.gardening#1215

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 19:05:31 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 18:05 UTC

> On 27/07/2021 13:46, Martin Brown wrote:
>> On 27/07/2021 10:37, Paul G wrote:
>>> My experience suggests over-the-counter products such as Weedol et al.
>>> are not very effective.
>>>
>>> I see Praxys is recommended but this is for professional use. I don't
>>> have hectares to treat and 2Ltrs is overkill (and close to £100).
>>>
>>> Should I be looking for a local professional to come & dose my lawn
>>> (with Praxys) ? What do others suggest ?
>>
>> Learn to live with some speedwell in your lawn or look for a product
>> like Weedol broadleaf herbicide that has fluroxypyr in it.
>
> It appears not to be approved in the UK and only some EU countries

There are half-a-dozen products approved in the UK for home use which
contain fluroxypyr. Just type fluroxypyr in the "Active substance" field
here:
<https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/garden/prodsearch.asp>

--

Jeff

Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawn

<lalaw44-0D5EE8.20052229072021@201-92-171-81.dsl.telesp.net.br>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1216&group=uk.rec.gardening#1216

From: lala...@hotmail.com (Another John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 20:05:22 +0100
 by: Another John - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 19:05 UTC

In article <ima2e7Fe0nuU1@mid.individual.net>, Paul G <nospam@msn.com>
wrote:

> My experience suggests over-the-counter products such as Weedol et al.
> are not very effective.
>
> I see Praxys is recommended but this is for professional use. I don't
> have hectares to treat and 2Ltrs is overkill (and close to £100).
>
> Should I be looking for a local professional to come & dose my lawn
> (with Praxys) ? What do others suggest ?

We only have a small lawn (7m by 4m). We were plagued with speedwell in
recent years, and it seemed to go from strength to strength, despite my
spraying it every now and again.

This Spring, I used Miracle-Gro Evergreen Complete 4-in-1 granular
treatment; I scrupulously weighed the granules for each scrupulously
measured sq.metre. Much to my surprise, the speedwell has barely
appeared this year, and the lawn generally looks in fine fettle. (jinx!
jinx!)

Of course: we had that April (frost every single night), and that
heatwave, and that drought -- "weather, not climate". Oh, and we're in
Tynedale, oop North.

Good luck
John

Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawn

<sduvg7$g0k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1217&group=uk.rec.gardening#1217

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 20:28:05 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 19:28 UTC

On 29/07/2021 20:05, Another John wrote:
> In article <ima2e7Fe0nuU1@mid.individual.net>, Paul G <nospam@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
>> My experience suggests over-the-counter products such as Weedol et al.
>> are not very effective.
>>
>> I see Praxys is recommended but this is for professional use. I don't
>> have hectares to treat and 2Ltrs is overkill (and close to £100).
>>
>> Should I be looking for a local professional to come & dose my lawn
>> (with Praxys) ? What do others suggest ?
>

> We only have a small lawn (7m by 4m). We were plagued with speedwell in
> recent years, and it seemed to go from strength to strength, despite my
> spraying it every now and again.
>
> This Spring, I used Miracle-Gro Evergreen Complete 4-in-1 granular
> treatment; I scrupulously weighed the granules for each scrupulously
> measured sq.metre. Much to my surprise, the speedwell has barely
> appeared this year, and the lawn generally looks in fine fettle. (jinx!
> jinx!)

One way of suppressing it is to make the grass grow more strongly whilst
hitting it with a somewhat ineffective weedkiller. Nothing allowed for
domestic use can really kill it. You have to rely on competition.

> Of course: we had that April (frost every single night), and that
> heatwave, and that drought -- "weather, not climate". Oh, and we're in
> Tynedale, oop North.

It has been a strange year. Almost zero apple crop round here the forst
got every flower and there were no insects about to pollinate those that
survived. Pears all look OK though. Early flowering saved them.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawn

<sdvs07$fui$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1218&group=uk.rec.gardening#1218

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 04:34:31 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 03:34 UTC

On 29/07/2021 20:28, Martin Brown wrote:
> It has been a strange year. Almost zero apple crop round here the forst
> got every flower and there were no insects about to pollinate those that
> survived. Pears all look OK though. Early flowering saved them.

How odd. Got pears plums and apples quinces and medlars.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawn

<se06mc$4mq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1219&group=uk.rec.gardening#1219

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 07:36:59 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 06:36 UTC

> On 29/07/2021 20:28, Martin Brown wrote:
>> It has been a strange year. Almost zero apple crop round here the forst
>> got every flower and there were no insects about to pollinate those that
>> survived. Pears all look OK though. Early flowering saved them.
>
> How odd. Got pears plums and apples quinces and medlars.

Loads of apples on the tree here (although after today's gales I'm not
sure how many will be left!). It's a Laxton's Fortune, and it's a
biennial fruiter - we had almost none last year. Our Concorde pear is
fruiting for the first time since we planted it four years ago. There
are a dozen or so pears on it. The late frosts in April hit other
plants, but not those two.

--

Jeff

Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawn

<se0bvn$11o4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1220&group=uk.rec.gardening#1220

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 09:07:17 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 08:07 UTC

> On 29/07/2021 20:28, Martin Brown wrote:
>> It has been a strange year. Almost zero apple crop round here the
>> forst got every flower and there were no insects about to pollinate
>> those that survived. Pears all look OK though. Early flowering saved
>> them.
>
> How odd. Got pears plums and apples quinces and medlars.

The timing of the frosts up here was perfect to devastate most of the
apple trees. It also did for every hydrangea flower bud as well and
burned the growing tips off every branch of the fig tree.

Spuds scorched back to the ground by frost but they recovered. Potato
would be classed as a pernicious weed if the tubers were not edible!

Pears and plum were early enough to set fruit. Butterfly population
still hasn't recovered yet. The only thing to have had a good year is
cabbage white. All the pretty ones have been decimated.

I'm guessing you are fair bit further south so your apples would have
flowered before the two weeks of vicious nightly frosts.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Treatment for speedwell in lawn

<se0vhh$8jc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1221&group=uk.rec.gardening#1221

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 14:41:05 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 13:41 UTC

On 30/07/2021 09:07, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 30/07/2021 04:34, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 29/07/2021 20:28, Martin Brown wrote:
>>> It has been a strange year. Almost zero apple crop round here the
>>> forst got every flower and there were no insects about to pollinate
>>> those that survived. Pears all look OK though. Early flowering saved
>>> them.
>>
>> How odd. Got pears plums and apples quinces and medlars.
>
> The timing of the frosts up here was perfect to devastate most of the
> apple trees. It also did for every hydrangea flower bud as well and
> burned the growing tips off every branch of the fig tree.
>
> Spuds scorched back to the ground by frost but they recovered. Potato
> would be classed as a pernicious weed if the tubers were not edible!
>
> Pears and plum were early enough to set fruit. Butterfly population
> still hasn't recovered yet. The only thing to have had a good year is
> cabbage white. All the pretty ones have been decimated.
>
> I'm guessing you are fair bit further south so your apples would have
> flowered before the two weeks of vicious nightly frosts.

I am in west Suffolk. last week tons of butterflies appeared and the
buddleia is just coming out - seen peacocks, meadow browns,
tortoiseshell, painted lady - no red admirals yet.

As I remember it (some of) the pears and the plums and quinces happened
early but the apples were in fact rather later. The later pears haven't
produced much fruit

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)