From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Sunak has a cunning plan
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 18:20:32 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 18:20 UTC

<quote>

I said I was going to fundamentally change our country, and I meant it. So I'm also announcing today that we will take the extraordinary step of introducing emergency legislation. This will enable Parliament to confirm that with our new treaty, Rwanda is safe.

</quote>

Presumably, with a majority of tory scum holding power and a three-line whip, they'll pass that ridiculous legislation as easily as they could legislate that "China isn't an abuser of human rights", "Jimmy Savile wasn't a paedophile" or "Hitler was right".

It does fundamentally change the country, but not in any good way. It's the sort of nonsense we expect to see from dictators and and failed states, those who we would normally criticise and condemn for doing the same.

God knows how the courts are meant to deal with a legislative ruling that asserts a position which is so patently untrue.

I don't even know how KC3 can give it Royal Ascent without losing all credibility.

Re: Sunak has a cunning plan

<20231115200639.0000168f@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12123&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#12123

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Re: Sunak has a cunning plan
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:06:39 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:06 UTC

On Wed, 15 Nov 2023 18:20:32 +0000
The Happy Hippy <the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid> wrote:

> God knows how the courts are meant to deal with a legislative ruling
> that asserts a position which is so patently untrue.

Seems that's not going to be too much of a problem and was a key part of the Appeal Court ruling the Rwanda plans was unlawful, the Supreme Court ruling that the Appeal Court was absolutely correct.

The principle, long established, enshrined in precedent and under law, is that the Court must decide for itself what truth is based on evidence, not what anyone claims.

So, even if parliament declares Rwanda to be a safe country, it doesn't mean the Court has to believe it is so. It can instead choose to believe the verified evidence that it isn't. In fact it's obliged to under British Law.

Which makes Sunak's claim that his plan will end the merry-go-round is ultimately doomed, makes it a farce to pursue it.

The next time it gets to Court, the ruling won't just be that Rwanda deportations are unlawful, that Rwanda isn't a safe country, but the idiots who passed the legislation that it was were just craven or gullible fools.

Not that it would be news.