You can get *anywhere* in ten minutes if you drive fast enough.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

SubjectAuthor
* Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesChris
+- Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesDavid G. Brooks
+* Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesJoerg Lorenz
|`* Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesAlan B
| `- Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesJoerg Lorenz
`* Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesAlan B
 `* Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesMark
  +* Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesAlan B
  |`* Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesAlan B
  | +* Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesDavid G. Brooks
  | |`* Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesJohn Hill
  | | `- Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesAlan B
  | `- Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesChris
  `* Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesChris
   `- Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive filesMark

1
Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<tlprg5$toa2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12167&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12167

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 07:39:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:TuX8R85H39Pcnm1siNZG5M8MXy4=
 by: Chris - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 07:39 UTC

This has bothered me for a while as I use OneDrive almost exclusively for
my files, yet none of my OneDrive appear on the Recently Used Finder list.
Well, they do, but a long time later so no longer useful. Aren't they seen
like local files by macOS given they are stored there?

I regularly work on many files at a time so it would be helpful to have
this working as expected.

Is this just me or is there something I can do fix it?

Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<Xz_fL.2364749$f0c6.1992930@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12168&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12168

Subject: Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@always.invalid (David G. Brooks)
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 07:57:43 +0000
 by: David G. Brooks - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 07:57 UTC

On 25/11/2022 07:39, Chris wrote:

> This has bothered me for a while as I use OneDrive almost exclusively for
> my files, yet none of my OneDrive appear on the Recently Used Finder list.
> Well, they do, but a long time later so no longer useful. Aren't they seen
> like local files by macOS given they are stored there?
>
> I regularly work on many files at a time so it would be helpful to have
> this working as expected.
>
> Is this just me or is there something I can do fix it?

Microsoft OneDrive is a file hosting service operated by Microsoft.
First launched in August 2007, it enables registered users to share and
synchronize their files. OneDrive also works as the storage backend of
the web version of Microsoft Office. (Wikipedia)

I'm going to suggest that you use Apple's equivalent - *iCloud Drive*

Files and folders stored in iCloud Drive stay up to date across all of
your devices, and can be accessed from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch,
Mac or PC, and on iCloud.com.

Here's how:- https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204025

HTH

--
David

Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<tlpslh$18v8o$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12169&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12169

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 08:59:45 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 07:59 UTC

Am 25.11.22 um 08:39 schrieb Chris:
> as I use OneDrive almost exclusively for
> my files

Extremely dangerous strategy! Never trust American companies. Recently a
German IT-student was locked out of his universitary work after copying
holiday-pictures of his nude nephew at the beach to OneDrive.

Never ever trust American tech companies!

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<tlpu1u$u2v2$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12170&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12170

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 08:23:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 08:23 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> This has bothered me for a while as I use OneDrive almost exclusively for
> my files, yet none of my OneDrive appear on the Recently Used Finder list.
> Well, they do, but a long time later so no longer useful. Aren't they seen
> like local files by macOS given they are stored there?
>
> I regularly work on many files at a time so it would be helpful to have
> this working as expected.
>
> Is this just me or is there something I can do fix it?
on

Just tried it. Opened a Word file showing in my OneDrive Documents window
and it immediately appeared as a recent file in Finder after I did a minor
edit and save. I notice OneDrive doesn’t itself have a recents option
although you can see them in the invidudual Office apps dialogues.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<tlq0jj$udml$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12175&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12175

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 09:06:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 09:06 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 25.11.22 um 08:39 schrieb Chris:
>> as I use OneDrive almost exclusively for
>> my files
>
> Extremely dangerous strategy! Never trust American companies. Recently a
> German IT-student was locked out of his universitary work after copying
> holiday-pictures of his nude nephew at the beach to OneDrive.

He may have no choice if he’s using it for work purposes and the employer’s
policy is to use MS software products and services. Some employers even
insist on employees using crap such as Norton anti-virus on their Macs!

> Never ever trust American tech companies!

Including Apple - surely not ;-)

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<tlq2j1$192er$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12177&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12177

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:40:49 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 09:40 UTC

Am 25.11.22 um 10:06 schrieb Alan B:
> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> Am 25.11.22 um 08:39 schrieb Chris:
>>> as I use OneDrive almost exclusively for
>>> my files
>>
>> Extremely dangerous strategy! Never trust American companies. Recently a
>> German IT-student was locked out of his universitary work after copying
>> holiday-pictures of his nude nephew at the beach to OneDrive.
>
> He may have no choice if he’s using it for work purposes and the employer’s
> policy is to use MS software products and services. Some employers even
> insist on employees using crap such as Norton anti-virus on their Macs!

This scenario is a completely different ball game!
In this case the employer has to come up with a solution if an issue is
popping up.

>> Never ever trust American tech companies!
>
> Including Apple - surely not ;-)

Your choice and you have to live with the consequences. But a solid
backup every once in a while is a good protection against Apple falling
in the same privacy-trap like $Micrsosoft$ or Google.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<tlq4cl$3gc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12179&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12179

From: captain....@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:11:33 +0000
 by: Mark - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:11 UTC

On 2022-11-25 08:23:26 +0000, Alan B
<alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> said:

> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This has bothered me for a while as I use OneDrive almost exclusively for
>> my files, yet none of my OneDrive appear on the Recently Used Finder list.
>> Well, they do, but a long time later so no longer useful. Aren't they seen
>> like local files by macOS given they are stored there?
>>
>> I regularly work on many files at a time so it would be helpful to have
>> this working as expected.
>>
>> Is this just me or is there something I can do fix it?
> on
>
> Just tried it. Opened a Word file showing in my OneDrive Documents window
> and it immediately appeared as a recent file in Finder after I did a minor
> edit and save. I notice OneDrive doesn’t itself have a recents option
> although you can see them in the invidudual Office apps dialogues.

I'm pretty sure Recent Items has never shown recent items (here on
Mojave & previous OSs)
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<tlq5bv$uuf0$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12180&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12180

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:28:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:28 UTC

Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2022-11-25 08:23:26 +0000, Alan B
> <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> said:
>
>> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This has bothered me for a while as I use OneDrive almost exclusively for
>>> my files, yet none of my OneDrive appear on the Recently Used Finder list.
>>> Well, they do, but a long time later so no longer useful. Aren't they seen
>>> like local files by macOS given they are stored there?
>>>
>>> I regularly work on many files at a time so it would be helpful to have
>>> this working as expected.
>>>
>>> Is this just me or is there something I can do fix it?
>> on
>>
>> Just tried it. Opened a Word file showing in my OneDrive Documents window
>> and it immediately appeared as a recent file in Finder after I did a minor
>> edit and save. I notice OneDrive doesn’t itself have a recents option
>> although you can see them in the invidudual Office apps dialogues.
>
> I'm pretty sure Recent Items has never shown recent items (here on
> Mojave & previous OSs)

Just created a new word doc and saved it to OneDrive -> Documents but this
time it hasn’t appeared in Finder recents! I notice OneDrive is now
displaying recently synced files though. Weird.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<tlqhhd$10dod$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12185&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12185

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 13:55:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 13:55 UTC

On 2022-11-25, Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-11-25 08:23:26 +0000, Alan B
>> <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> said:

>>> on
>>>
>>> Just tried it. Opened a Word file showing in my OneDrive Documents window
>>> and it immediately appeared as a recent file in Finder after I did a minor
>>> edit and save. I notice OneDrive doesn’t itself have a recents option
>>> although you can see them in the invidudual Office apps dialogues.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure Recent Items has never shown recent items (here on
>> Mojave & previous OSs)
>
> Just created a new word doc and saved it to OneDrive -> Documents but this
> time it hasn’t appeared in Finder recents! I notice OneDrive is now
> displaying recently synced files though. Weird.

And after several hours it had still not appeared in recents. However
on editing and saving it, the document appeared immediately in recents.
More weirdness!

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<2T3gL.1612768$YC96.1408055@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12186&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12186

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@always.invalid (David G. Brooks)
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 13:59:26 +0000
 by: David G. Brooks - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 13:59 UTC

On 25/11/2022 13:55, Alan B wrote:
> On 2022-11-25, Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>> Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure Recent Items has never shown recent items (here on
>>> Mojave & previous OSs)
>>
>> Just created a new word doc and saved it to OneDrive -> Documents but this
>> time it hasn’t appeared in Finder recents! I notice OneDrive is now
>> displaying recently synced files though. Weird.
>
> And after several hours it had still not appeared in recents. However
> on editing and saving it, the document appeared immediately in recents.
> More weirdness!

Why are you using a *Microsoft* facility instead of Apple's iCloud Drive?

Odd.

Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<tlqkou$10qsa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12191&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12191

From: ycl...@outlook.com (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 14:51:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 14:51 UTC

David G. Brooks <DavidB@always.invalid> wrote:
> On 25/11/2022 13:55, Alan B wrote:

>>> Just created a new word doc and saved it to OneDrive -> Documents but this
>>> time it hasn’t appeared in Finder recents! I notice OneDrive is now
>>> displaying recently synced files though. Weird.
>>
>> And after several hours it had still not appeared in recents. However
>> on editing and saving it, the document appeared immediately in recents.
>> More weirdness!
>
> Why are you using a *Microsoft* facility instead of Apple's iCloud Drive?
>
> Odd.

Oh, David, David, you are at it again!

Your world view is yours, fine, but you cannot impose it on others.

John.

--
Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday,and all is well.

Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<tlql4f$10r3b$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12192&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12192

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 14:57:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 14:57 UTC

On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 14:51:10 -0000 (UTC), John Hill wrote:

> David G. Brooks <DavidB@always.invalid> wrote:

>>> And after several hours it had still not appeared in recents. However
>>> on editing and saving it, the document appeared immediately in
>>> recents.
>>> More weirdness!
>>
>> Why are you using a *Microsoft* facility instead of Apple's iCloud
>> Drive?
>>
>> Odd.
>>

> Oh, David, David, you are at it again!
>
> Your world view is yours, fine, but you cannot impose it on others.

Totally agree with you there John. Whether I regularly use OneDrive or not
to store Office documents is irrelevant as I'm merely pursuing an
interesting oddity Chris has discovered.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<tlqvbu$127i8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12193&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12193

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 17:51:58 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:wk8UG9UDoARDCtgqTC5wdGqJqcs=
 by: Chris - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 17:51 UTC

Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-11-25, Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>> Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure Recent Items has never shown recent items (here on
>>> Mojave & previous OSs)
>>
>> Just created a new word doc and saved it to OneDrive -> Documents but this
>> time it hasn’t appeared in Finder recents! I notice OneDrive is now
>> displaying recently synced files though. Weird.
>
> And after several hours it had still not appeared in recents. However
> on editing and saving it, the document appeared immediately in recents.
> More weirdness!

Thanks for confirming the inconsistency, Alan.

Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<tlqvbu$127i8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12194&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12194

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 17:51:58 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:joIM7ziMcBYCV2WFzOfPYHbBliA=
 by: Chris - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 17:51 UTC

Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2022-11-25 08:23:26 +0000, Alan B
> <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> said:
>
>> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This has bothered me for a while as I use OneDrive almost exclusively for
>>> my files, yet none of my OneDrive appear on the Recently Used Finder list.
>>> Well, they do, but a long time later so no longer useful. Aren't they seen
>>> like local files by macOS given they are stored there?
>>>
>>> I regularly work on many files at a time so it would be helpful to have
>>> this working as expected.
>>>
>>> Is this just me or is there something I can do fix it?
>> on
>>
>> Just tried it. Opened a Word file showing in my OneDrive Documents window
>> and it immediately appeared as a recent file in Finder after I did a minor
>> edit and save. I notice OneDrive doesn’t itself have a recents option
>> although you can see them in the invidudual Office apps dialogues.
>
> I'm pretty sure Recent Items has never shown recent items (here on
> Mojave & previous OSs)

Here it seems that non-cloud files do appear fairly predictably. However, I
don't look often as it rarely has the files I'm looking for.

Shame really as it would be really useful.

Re: Recently used doesn't include OneDrive files

<tlr5kp$778$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12195&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12195

From: captain....@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 19:39:05 +0000
 by: Mark - Fri, 25 Nov 2022 19:39 UTC

On 2022-11-25 17:51:58 +0000, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> said:

> Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-11-25 08:23:26 +0000, Alan B
>> <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> said:

>>> on
>>>
>>> Just tried it. Opened a Word file showing in my OneDrive Documents window
>>> and it immediately appeared as a recent file in Finder after I did a minor
>>> edit and save. I notice OneDrive doesn’t itself have a recents option
>>> although you can see them in the invidudual Office apps dialogues.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure Recent Items has never shown recent items (here on
>> Mojave & previous OSs)
>
> Here it seems that non-cloud files do appear fairly predictably. However, I
> don't look often as it rarely has the files I'm looking for.
>
> Shame really as it would be really useful.

It would be very useful. It does show documents, but they're never
recent. At the moment it's showing several .mkv files at the top of the
'Documents' section. I've opened three Pages docs today (and several
other docs in the last few days), but no sign of 'em.
--
Cheers ... Mark