From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Stupid web sites.
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 13:51:01 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 03:51 UTC

Some time ago the wife an I were looking at an item for the house. We
looked in a few places including several offerings from Kogan. In the
end, we bought from Kogan. You'd think that that would be the end of it,
but Kogan kept sending me emails advertising the same item at least 3
times a week for the next 3 months.

Last week I ordered a cover for my Kindle from Amazon, but this morning
there was an email from them advertising exactly the same thing.

Even worse is eBay, I've been inundated with emails advertising phones
the same as the one that I bought 4 months ago.

Are these organisations incapable of keeping track of what you actually
bought from them? I know that I could unsubscribe from them (or should
be able to do so) but I'd miss out on the occasional useful
communication. Bangood, Gearbest, and AliExpress don't seem to have the
same problem so it can be done.

Re: Stupid web sites.

<2l2odg9q2kkavduq90lff7f0sungpbr51p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1209&group=aus.computers#1209

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: Stupid web sites.
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 16:10:54 +1000
 by: Petzl - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 06:10 UTC

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 13:51:01 +1000, keithr0 <user@account.invalid>
wrote:

>Some time ago the wife an I were looking at an item for the house. We
>looked in a few places including several offerings from Kogan. In the
>end, we bought from Kogan. You'd think that that would be the end of it,
>but Kogan kept sending me emails advertising the same item at least 3
>times a week for the next 3 months.
>
>Last week I ordered a cover for my Kindle from Amazon, but this morning
>there was an email from them advertising exactly the same thing.
>
>Even worse is eBay, I've been inundated with emails advertising phones
>the same as the one that I bought 4 months ago.
>
>Are these organisations incapable of keeping track of what you actually
>bought from them? I know that I could unsubscribe from them (or should
>be able to do so) but I'd miss out on the occasional useful
>communication. Bangood, Gearbest, and AliExpress don't seem to have the
>same problem so it can be done.

I just use this email address for companies blurb.

--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law

Re: Stupid web sites.

<sbite7$1c0j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1214&group=aus.computers#1214

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 23:06:48 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 23:06 UTC

keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
> Even worse is eBay, I've been inundated with emails advertising phones
> the same as the one that I bought 4 months ago.
>
> Are these organisations incapable of keeping track of what you actually
> bought from them?

That's the problem of course - they are keeping track and feeding
it into their stupid AI which thinks "ooh, this guy likes phones,
I'd better send him an email showing more phones that he can buy".
It probably isn't smart enough to figure out which different
sellers are offering the same item, they all just look "similar" to
the thing you bought, so by its logic you should be interested in
buying them as well.

> I know that I could unsubscribe from them (or should
> be able to do so) but I'd miss out on the occasional useful
> communication. Bangood, Gearbest, and AliExpress don't seem to have the
> same problem so it can be done.

Wow I never get any like that from Ebay, yet AliExpress is
_shocking_. Damn constant Chinglish babble trying dim-wittedly to
click-bait me into opening their page of "suggestions" which has
nothing to do with what's said on the subject line (and doesn't
render in my text-only email view anyway). At the very least the
people who write those subject lines could learn English!

They all go to my secondary email address for dealing with such
companies, but 90% of the rot going there is from AliExpress (or
Alibaba) and I still want to see order updates from them so I
can't easily block it.

They really piss me off with that. Weird that they don't do it to
you though, and that Ebay does. Of course if you have the chance to
unsubscribe, then I probably just did that with Ebay (no such
option from AliExpress, though I've been deleting them without
looking for so long that I guess they might have added one). I've
never dealt with the others, but if I had three as bad as
AliExpress that would really drive me nuts.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Stupid web sites.

<ik4kuiF6e56U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1217&group=aus.computers#1217

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 11:43:58 +1000
 by: Yosemite Sam - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 01:43 UTC

On 1/07/2021 9:06 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
>> Even worse is eBay, I've been inundated with emails advertising phones
>> the same as the one that I bought 4 months ago.
>>
>> Are these organisations incapable of keeping track of what you actually
>> bought from them?
> That's the problem of course - they are keeping track and feeding
> it into their stupid AI which thinks "ooh, this guy likes phones,
> I'd better send him an email showing more phones that he can buy".
> It probably isn't smart enough to figure out which different
> sellers are offering the same item, they all just look "similar" to
> the thing you bought, so by its logic you should be interested in
> buying them as well.
>
>> I know that I could unsubscribe from them (or should
>> be able to do so) but I'd miss out on the occasional useful
>> communication. Bangood, Gearbest, and AliExpress don't seem to have the
>> same problem so it can be done.
> Wow I never get any like that from Ebay, yet AliExpress is
> _shocking_. Damn constant Chinglish babble trying dim-wittedly to
> click-bait me into opening their page of "suggestions" which has
> nothing to do with what's said on the subject line (and doesn't
> render in my text-only email view anyway). At the very least the
> people who write those subject lines could learn English!
>
> They all go to my secondary email address for dealing with such
> companies, but 90% of the rot going there is from AliExpress (or
> Alibaba) and I still want to see order updates from them so I
> can't easily block it.
>
> They really piss me off with that. Weird that they don't do it to
> you though, and that Ebay does. Of course if you have the chance to
> unsubscribe, then I probably just did that with Ebay (no such
> option from AliExpress, though I've been deleting them without
> looking for so long that I guess they might have added one). I've
> never dealt with the others, but if I had three as bad as
> AliExpress that would really drive me nuts.

with many (most?) online sellers you can unsubscribe from promotional
emails, while still receiving account related emails

--
"A mans got to know his limitations"
- clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry