"The Computer made me do it."

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Do cars run better in humid weather?

SubjectAuthor
* Do cars run better in humid weather?Daryl
+- Do cars run better in humid weather?Yosemite Sam
`* Do cars run better in humid weather?keithr0
 `* Do cars run better in humid weather?Noddy
  `* Do cars run better in humid weather?keithr0
   +* Do cars run better in humid weather?Noddy
   |`* Do cars run better in humid weather?keithr0
   | `* Do cars run better in humid weather?Noddy
   |  `* Do cars run better in humid weather?keithr0
   |   `- Do cars run better in humid weather?Noddy
   `- Do cars run better in humid weather?Daryl

1
Re: Do cars run better in humid weather?

<j82u2pFsfm1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12156&group=aus.cars#12156

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Do cars run better in humid weather?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 14:32:41 +1100
 by: Daryl - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 03:32 UTC

On 28/2/2022 12:38 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
> My dear old uncle was so convinced. He said it prevented any trace of
> pre-ignition. Indeed I once had an old Volkswagen and it ran better
> in foggy weather. My uncle was so interested there were plans to
> affix a water fogger just before the carburettor. I can't remember
> what happened.

A car may run better if the fog happens to be cold which isn't always
the case.

--
Daryl

Re: Do cars run better in humid weather?

<j82v4gFsm35U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12159&group=aus.cars#12159

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 14:50:46 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 03:50 UTC

On 28/02/2022 2:32 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 28/2/2022 12:38 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
>> My dear old uncle was so convinced.  He said it prevented any trace of
>> pre-ignition.  Indeed I once had an old Volkswagen and it ran better
>> in foggy weather.  My uncle was so interested there were plans to
>> affix a water fogger just before the carburettor.  I can't remember
>> what happened.
>

> A car may run better if the fog happens to be cold which isn't always
> the case.

but usually is

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam
"His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by

Re: Do cars run better in humid weather?

<j835d7Ftp56U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12169&group=aus.cars#12169

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 15:37:44 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 05:37 UTC

On 28/02/2022 1:32 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 28/2/2022 12:38 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
>> My dear old uncle was so convinced.  He said it prevented any trace of
>> pre-ignition.  Indeed I once had an old Volkswagen and it ran better
>> in foggy weather.  My uncle was so interested there were plans to
>> affix a water fogger just before the carburettor.  I can't remember
>> what happened.
>

> A car may run better if the fog happens to be cold which isn't always
> the case.

Most big supercharged aero engines have methanol injection.

Re: Do cars run better in humid weather?

<svhrsd$jg7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12171&group=aus.cars#12171

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 17:59:22 +1100
 by: Noddy - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 06:59 UTC

On 28/02/2022 4:37 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 28/02/2022 1:32 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 28/2/2022 12:38 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
>>> My dear old uncle was so convinced.  He said it prevented any trace of
>>> pre-ignition.  Indeed I once had an old Volkswagen and it ran better
>>> in foggy weather.  My uncle was so interested there were plans to
>>> affix a water fogger just before the carburettor.  I can't remember
>>> what happened.
>>

>> A car may run better if the fog happens to be cold which isn't always
>> the case.
>>
> Most big supercharged aero engines have methanol injection.

Meth/water injection systems have been around since before the days of
WWII, and they're designed to guard against an abnormal combustion
events that are the result of running high levels of boost. Particularly
in aircraft engines where air density varies with altitude.

However, none of that has anything whatsoever to do with the notion of
car engines running better in humid weather which is a nonsense.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Do cars run better in humid weather?

<j83aveF8c4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12173&group=aus.cars#12173

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 17:12:47 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 07:12 UTC

On 28/02/2022 4:59 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 28/02/2022 4:37 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>>

>>> A car may run better if the fog happens to be cold which isn't always
>>> the case.
>>>
>> Most big supercharged aero engines have methanol injection.
>
> Meth/water injection systems have been around since before the days of
> WWII, and they're designed to guard against an abnormal combustion
> events that are the result of running high levels of boost. Particularly
> in aircraft engines where air density varies with altitude.

It allows high levels of boost without knock being a problem. It was
only used at takeoff power.

> However, none of that has anything whatsoever to do with the notion of
> car engines running better in humid weather which is a nonsense.

Re: Do cars run better in humid weather?

<svi28r$sfq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12178&group=aus.cars#12178

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 19:48:24 +1100
 by: Noddy - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 08:48 UTC

On 28/02/2022 6:12 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 28/02/2022 4:59 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> Meth/water injection systems have been around since before the days of
>> WWII, and they're designed to guard against an abnormal combustion
>> events that are the result of running high levels of boost.
>> Particularly in aircraft engines where air density varies with altitude.
>
> It allows high levels of boost without knock being a problem.

To a degree. It helps prevent detonation, but doesn't totally eliminate
the possibility.

> It was only used at takeoff power.

My understanding is that some engines used it at War Emergency Power
regardless of altitude.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Do cars run better in humid weather?

<j83kaiF1vh4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12179&group=aus.cars#12179

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 19:52:20 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 09:52 UTC

On 28/02/2022 6:48 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 28/02/2022 6:12 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 28/02/2022 4:59 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> Meth/water injection systems have been around since before the days
>>> of WWII, and they're designed to guard against an abnormal combustion
>>> events that are the result of running high levels of boost.
>>> Particularly in aircraft engines where air density varies with altitude.
>>
>> It allows high levels of boost without knock being a problem.
>
> To a degree. It helps prevent detonation, but doesn't totally eliminate
> the possibility.
>
>> It was only used at takeoff power.
>
> My understanding is that some engines used it at War Emergency Power
> regardless of altitude.

Basically similar to T.O. power, sometimes it is referred to as full
military power - to be used when the shit has hit the fan and engine
life is not an immediate consideration.

Re: Do cars run better in humid weather?

<svibcb$10a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12180&group=aus.cars#12180

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 22:23:55 +1100
 by: Noddy - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 11:23 UTC

On 28/02/2022 8:52 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 28/02/2022 6:48 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> It allows high levels of boost without knock being a problem.
>>
>> To a degree. It helps prevent detonation, but doesn't totally
>> eliminate the possibility.
>>
>>> It was only used at takeoff power.
>>
>> My understanding is that some engines used it at War Emergency Power
>> regardless of altitude.
>
> Basically similar to T.O. power, sometimes it is referred to as full
> military power - to be used when the shit has hit the fan and engine
> life is not an immediate consideration.

Engine life is *always* a consideration if preventing the aircraft from
becoming a smoking hole in the ground is your primary goal :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Do cars run better in humid weather?

<j83r46F38n3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12182&group=aus.cars#12182

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 21:48:22 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 11:48 UTC

On 28/02/2022 9:23 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 28/02/2022 8:52 pm, keithr0 wrote:

>>> To a degree. It helps prevent detonation, but doesn't totally
>>> eliminate the possibility.

>>> My understanding is that some engines used it at War Emergency Power
>>> regardless of altitude.
>>
>> Basically similar to T.O. power, sometimes it is referred to as full
>> military power - to be used when the shit has hit the fan and engine
>> life is not an immediate consideration.
>
> Engine life is *always* a consideration if preventing the aircraft from
> becoming a smoking hole in the ground is your primary goal :)

Unless there is an Me-109 up your arse, then it doesn't matter.

Re: Do cars run better in humid weather?

<j83ri8F3bdcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12183&group=aus.cars#12183

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 22:55:50 +1100
 by: Daryl - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 11:55 UTC

On 28/2/2022 6:12 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 28/02/2022 4:59 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Most big supercharged aero engines have methanol injection.
>>
>> Meth/water injection systems have been around since before the days of
>> WWII, and they're designed to guard against an abnormal combustion
>> events that are the result of running high levels of boost.
>> Particularly in aircraft engines where air density varies with altitude.
>
> It allows high levels of boost without knock being a problem. It was
> only used at takeoff power.

Sort of similar idea to the mates race car running E85 because its
compression ratio is around 14.2:1

--
Daryl

Re: Do cars run better in humid weather?

<svjbl2$hdq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12187&group=aus.cars#12187

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 07:34:42 +1100
 by: Noddy - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 20:34 UTC

On 28/02/2022 10:48 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 28/02/2022 9:23 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> Basically similar to T.O. power, sometimes it is referred to as full
>>> military power - to be used when the shit has hit the fan and engine
>>> life is not an immediate consideration.
>>
>> Engine life is *always* a consideration if preventing the aircraft
>> from becoming a smoking hole in the ground is your primary goal :)
>
> Unless there is an Me-109 up your arse, then it doesn't matter.

The ME-109 would have been using it's water injection at full throttle
to catch you.

Regards,
Noddy.