Use at own risk.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OT: 4k video

SubjectAuthor
* OT: 4k videoCursitor Doom
+* Re: OT: 4k videoSH
|`* Re: OT: 4k videoPeter Able
| `- Re: OT: 4k videoThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: OT: 4k videoChris Green
|`* Re: OT: 4k videoSam Plusnet
| +* Re: OT: 4k videoCursitor Doom
| |`- Re: OT: 4k videoAndrew
| +* Re: OT: 4k videoTim+
| |+- Re: OT: 4k videomm0fmf
| |`- Re: OT: 4k videoSam Plusnet
| `* Re: OT: 4k videoThe Natural Philosopher
|  `* Re: OT: 4k videoCustos Custodum
|   +* Re: OT: 4k videoCursitor Doom
|   |+* Re: OT: 4k videoCustos Custodum
|   ||+* Re: OT: 4k videoJoe
|   |||`* Re: OT: 4k videoCustos Custodum
|   ||| `* Re: OT: 4k videoJoe
|   |||  +* Re: OT: 4k videoPaul
|   |||  |`* Re: OT: 4k videoSam Plusnet
|   |||  | `- Re: OT: 4k videoCursitor Doom
|   |||  `* Re: OT: 4k videoCursitor Doom
|   |||   `* Re: OT: 4k videoalan_m
|   |||    `* Re: OT: 4k videoCursitor Doom
|   |||     `* Re: OT: 4k videoThe Natural Philosopher
|   |||      `- Re: OT: 4k videoCursitor Doom
|   ||`- Re: OT: 4k videoThe Natural Philosopher
|   |`* Re: OT: 4k videoPancho
|   | `- Re: OT: 4k videoalan_m
|   `- Re: OT: 4k videoThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: OT: 4k videoPaul
|`* Re: OT: 4k videoCursitor Doom
| `* Re: OT: 4k videoPaul
|  `* Re: OT: 4k videoPaul
|   `- Re: OT: 4k videoPaul
`* Re: OT: 4k videoThe Natural Philosopher
 `* Re: OT: 4k videoCursitor Doom
  +- Re: OT: 4k videoJoe
  `* Re: OT: 4k videoThe Natural Philosopher
   `- Re: OT: 4k videoCursitor Doom

Pages:12
OT: 4k video

<qgha2jl4qp4j5glisaaupu86qolasbe6nt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122073&group=uk.d-i-y#122073

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OT: 4k video
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 18:06:36 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:06 UTC

Gentlemen,

I bought one of those surveillance drones to keep an eye on a house up
the road where some undesirables have recently moved in. It takes
*fantastic* high quality video with astonishing detail. I should be
able to peer into the windows and see what they're up to from quite
some distance away and remain undetected. I've been trying it out
earlier today and have been seriously impressed with the images it's
recorded. The only problem is, I can't view them on anything other
than my Android smartphone. What I really want to do is make the most
of all the detail it's captured by viewing it on a *large* screen. But
I do not want to have to replace my perfectly good ordinary HD TV and
none of my other devices can handle 4k video, either.
What are my options?

CD.

Re: OT: 4k video

<v03js2$dsvt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122076&group=uk.d-i-y#122076

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OT: 4k video
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 18:54:10 +0100
 by: SH - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:54 UTC

On 21/04/2024 18:06, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> I bought one of those surveillance drones to keep an eye on a house up
> the road where some undesirables have recently moved in. It takes
> *fantastic* high quality video with astonishing detail. I should be
> able to peer into the windows and see what they're up to from quite
> some distance away and remain undetected. I've been trying it out
> earlier today and have been seriously impressed with the images it's
> recorded. The only problem is, I can't view them on anything other
> than my Android smartphone. What I really want to do is make the most
> of all the detail it's captured by viewing it on a *large* screen. But
> I do not want to have to replace my perfectly good ordinary HD TV and
> none of my other devices can handle 4k video, either.
> What are my options?
>
> CD.

this sounds like you need HEIC and HEVC drivers on the PC plus a
graphics card AND Monitor/TV that can support 4k over Display port or HDMI

Re: OT: 4k video

<sh1gfk-9rgv1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122077&group=uk.d-i-y#122077

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 19:12:44 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 18:12 UTC

Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> I bought one of those surveillance drones to keep an eye on a house up
> the road where some undesirables have recently moved in. It takes
> *fantastic* high quality video with astonishing detail. I should be
> able to peer into the windows and see what they're up to from quite
> some distance away and remain undetected. I've been trying it out
> earlier today and have been seriously impressed with the images it's
> recorded. The only problem is, I can't view them on anything other
> than my Android smartphone. What I really want to do is make the most
> of all the detail it's captured by viewing it on a *large* screen. But
> I do not want to have to replace my perfectly good ordinary HD TV and
> none of my other devices can handle 4k video, either.
> What are my options?

Getting arrested I hope.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: OT: 4k video

<v03mjg$ej95$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122078&group=uk.d-i-y#122078

From: stu...@home.com (Peter Able)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 19:40:47 +0100
 by: Peter Able - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 18:40 UTC

On 21/04/2024 18:54, SH wrote:
> On 21/04/2024 18:06, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> Gentlemen,
>>
>> I bought one of those surveillance drones to keep an eye on a house up
>> the road where some undesirables have recently moved in. It takes
>> *fantastic* high quality video with astonishing detail. I should be
>> able to peer into the windows and see what they're up to from quite
>> some distance away and remain undetected. I've been trying it out
>> earlier today and have been seriously impressed with the images it's
>> recorded. The only problem is, I can't view them on anything other
>> than my Android smartphone. What I really want to do is make the most
>> of all the detail it's captured by viewing it on a *large* screen. But
>> I do not want to have to replace my perfectly good ordinary HD TV and
>> none of my other devices can handle 4k video, either.
>> What are my options?
>>
>> CD.
>

> this sounds like you need HEIC and HEVC drivers on the PC plus a
> graphics card AND Monitor/TV that can support 4k over Display port or HDMI

Just bought a 43" 4K TV for £207. Will any other option be that much
cheaper?

PA

Re: OT: 4k video

<pAdVN.1532$%ZGd.574@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122079&group=uk.d-i-y#122079

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:14:28 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 19:14 UTC

On 21-Apr-24 19:12, Chris Green wrote:
> Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> wrote:
>> Gentlemen,
>>
>> I bought one of those surveillance drones to keep an eye on a house up
>> the road where some undesirables have recently moved in. It takes
>> *fantastic* high quality video with astonishing detail. I should be
>> able to peer into the windows and see what they're up to from quite
>> some distance away and remain undetected. I've been trying it out
>> earlier today and have been seriously impressed with the images it's
>> recorded. The only problem is, I can't view them on anything other
>> than my Android smartphone. What I really want to do is make the most
>> of all the detail it's captured by viewing it on a *large* screen. But
>> I do not want to have to replace my perfectly good ordinary HD TV and
>> none of my other devices can handle 4k video, either.
>> What are my options?
>>
> Getting arrested I hope.

I had expected that all replies to the original post would make this point.

Disappointing to discover that only one out of three did so.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: 4k video

<3oua2jhopt5br9b8rb8cuv0t323t45n2eq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122080&group=uk.d-i-y#122080

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 21:47:23 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:47 UTC

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:14:28 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 21-Apr-24 19:12, Chris Green wrote:
>> Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> wrote:
>>> Gentlemen,
>>>
>>> I bought one of those surveillance drones to keep an eye on a house up
>>> the road where some undesirables have recently moved in. It takes
>>> *fantastic* high quality video with astonishing detail. I should be
>>> able to peer into the windows and see what they're up to from quite
>>> some distance away and remain undetected. I've been trying it out
>>> earlier today and have been seriously impressed with the images it's
>>> recorded. The only problem is, I can't view them on anything other
>>> than my Android smartphone. What I really want to do is make the most
>>> of all the detail it's captured by viewing it on a *large* screen. But
>>> I do not want to have to replace my perfectly good ordinary HD TV and
>>> none of my other devices can handle 4k video, either.
>>> What are my options?
>>>
>> Getting arrested I hope.
>>
>I had expected that all replies to the original post would make this point.
>
>Disappointing to discover that only one out of three did so.

Okay, so two constructive replies so far and two tossers. We'll see if
there's any more of either kinds of answers in due course...

Re: OT: 4k video

<v03vm2$gjbs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122081&group=uk.d-i-y#122081

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:15:45 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 21:15 UTC

On 4/21/2024 1:06 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> I bought one of those surveillance drones to keep an eye on a house up
> the road where some undesirables have recently moved in. It takes
> *fantastic* high quality video with astonishing detail. I should be
> able to peer into the windows and see what they're up to from quite
> some distance away and remain undetected. I've been trying it out
> earlier today and have been seriously impressed with the images it's
> recorded. The only problem is, I can't view them on anything other
> than my Android smartphone. What I really want to do is make the most
> of all the detail it's captured by viewing it on a *large* screen. But
> I do not want to have to replace my perfectly good ordinary HD TV and
> none of my other devices can handle 4k video, either.
> What are my options?
>
> CD.

From a post in another group :-)

"An undesirable down the street has a drone.
What gauge and choke of shotgun do you recommend ?"

Drone confetti is very festive.

In the year 2024, NEVER UNDERESTIMATE YOUR NEIGHBOURS.
My neighbour killed his dog. The woman in the house, has
had broken bones... twice. I'm beginning to think she is
<cough> "clumsy". That's how you measure a neighbour.

*******

FFMPEG changes video from one format to another.

Included in the application is "ffprobe" as in

ffprobe some.vid

and that will tell you what the video and audio codec
declarations say. If the vid was an Apple format, it
would tell you.

And this, will play it (most always).

ffplay some.vid

If the person building the executable, forgets a
library or two, that leads to incomplete feature set.
The reason ffmpeg and friends dump so much text into
the terminal window, is the text is a record of
the build options used.

An example of a packaging of ffmpeg-like capability, is VLC.
You use this, when it is too much trouble to find FFMPEG package.
There were two projects, libAV and FFMPEG, and applications
can use aspects of either one.

https://www.videolan.org/

On Linux, VLC can open my TV tuner and I can watch TV.
On Windows, that part of VLC does not work. Same tuner, no go.
VLC works with more than raw files, it can work with devices
or streaming as well. It will take "research" to get some
of the more complicated options to work. For example, practical
TV tuner usage starts with a "w_scan" run, to generate a frequency
that VLC uses as its tuner data input. w_scan lists the channels,
entering 216,000,000 Hz tunes to a working channel, say.

Chinese IP webcams may not follow any standard and may be
proprietary, which is why typically attempts to play content
directly, won't work. But recording the video to a file and
passing the file to VLC, should work. VLC is like using ffplay.

A number of sharpen tools don't work. It's possible an older
copy of avidemux would work (it's not worth the effort to go all
the way there, but it's the only success that comes to mind).
I found a commercial sharpen tool, it ran for 12 hours and it did...
absolutely nothing. FFMPEG should have one, but I have not tried
it. I was just surprised, that ugly sharpen results with actual
sharpening, were not more common. The "adaptive" filters were
supposed to fool you into thinking the video had not been processed.
And it was just that sharp.

On cheap cameras, sensor noise is a problem, and remains a problem
even in sunlit scenes. That is one of the reasons you cannot over-sharpen,
is sensor noise. The sharpen I'm talking about, is a correction
for the compressor used in the camera, and the sharpening you will apply
undoes the excess degradation of the compressor.

And don't use the IR illuminator on your drone -- smartphones,
when you use the cameras in them, they have spectral response
out into the infrared, and using an illuminator would make your
drone stand out like a sore thumb. That is a problem with
some of the whizzy stuff, is your opponent unintentionally has
whizzy stuff too (smartphone). A good illuminator draws too much
power from a drone, and can give vision to about 300 feet from
the camera. That would be an array with (100) 950nm LEDs. But in
terms of being covert, anyone can see your project approaching,
from a mile away.

In some countries, drone flights are monitored on radar. Depending on
local policy, and closeness to an airport, you could develop some
new friends. It's unbelievable I know, but drone flying actually
has rules. When you read the rules, you'll see the rules have
a design intent.

Paul

Re: OT: 4k video

<uc5b2j9s4d33bmvr84o8826bcee2fususl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122082&group=uk.d-i-y#122082

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 23:40:56 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 22:40 UTC

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:15:45 -0400, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
>
>And don't use the IR illuminator on your drone -- smartphones,
>when you use the cameras in them, they have spectral response
>out into the infrared, and using an illuminator would make your
>drone stand out like a sore thumb. That is a problem with
>some of the whizzy stuff, is your opponent unintentionally has
>whizzy stuff too (smartphone). A good illuminator draws too much
>power from a drone, and can give vision to about 300 feet from
>the camera. That would be an array with (100) 950nm LEDs. But in
>terms of being covert, anyone can see your project approaching,
>from a mile away.
>
>In some countries, drone flights are monitored on radar. Depending on
>local policy, and closeness to an airport, you could develop some
>new friends. It's unbelievable I know, but drone flying actually
>has rules. When you read the rules, you'll see the rules have

Thanks. FFMPEG is a phenomenal tool alright, but it can't work magic
if the hardware just isn't up to the job. I think I need to spend a
bit of cash on something much faster than I currently have.

Re: OT: 4k video

<v04p2o$p0c3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122083&group=uk.d-i-y#122083

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 00:29:11 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 04:29 UTC

On 4/21/2024 6:40 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:

> Thanks. FFMPEG is a phenomenal tool alright, but it can't work magic
> if the hardware just isn't up to the job. I think I need to spend a
> bit of cash on something much faster than I currently have.

I don't think your camera device actually "shoots" in the Apple format.

I think as soon as the content "touched" the Apple device,
the Apple device urinated on it, and there it sits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_ProRes

That's why you're in a world of hurt.

I would locate another application on a different platform,
to see what industry standard profile actually comes off the camera.
You need a DJI application that runs on Android, or Windows,
or (less likely) Linux.

The Wiki article suggests the Apple format is a kind of intermediary format.

It's quite possible the format is too much for your computer
(even if pulled in via Windows), but there could be a big difference between
the "native format" coming from the actual camera, versus the bloated Apple format.

The only Prores decoders were done by reverse engineering, in the other ecosystems,
and that is all you really need to know as a customer.

I am reminded of the one time I bought QuickTime Pro for Windows for $30, and a
month later it was already out of date, and the plan was 30 + 30 + 30...
<heat death of universe>.

I couldn't even find a sample of a Prores. If one sat on a Google Drive,
Google removed access to it (bandwidth violation).

You're going to need Science Officer Spock for this mission,
or maybe Scotty if he is available.

Paul

Re: OT: 4k video

<1914297703.735461193.763356.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122084&group=uk.d-i-y#122084

From: timdowni...@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 22 Apr 2024 06:49:29 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 06:49 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 21-Apr-24 19:12, Chris Green wrote:
>> Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> wrote:
>>> Gentlemen,
>>>
>>> I bought one of those surveillance drones to keep an eye on a house up
>>> the road where some undesirables have recently moved in. It takes
>>> *fantastic* high quality video with astonishing detail. I should be
>>> able to peer into the windows and see what they're up to from quite
>>> some distance away and remain undetected. I've been trying it out
>>> earlier today and have been seriously impressed with the images it's
>>> recorded. The only problem is, I can't view them on anything other
>>> than my Android smartphone. What I really want to do is make the most
>>> of all the detail it's captured by viewing it on a *large* screen. But
>>> I do not want to have to replace my perfectly good ordinary HD TV and
>>> none of my other devices can handle 4k video, either.
>>> What are my options?
>>>
>> Getting arrested I hope.
>>
> I had expected that all replies to the original post would make this point.
>
> Disappointing to discover that only one out of three did so.

Probably because to loon is in most folk’s kill files.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: OT: 4k video

<v051lc$qhed$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122085&group=uk.d-i-y#122085

From: non...@invalid.com (mm0fmf)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 07:58:28 +0100
 by: mm0fmf - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 06:58 UTC

On 22/04/2024 07:49, Tim+ wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>> Getting arrested I hope.
>>>
>> I had expected that all replies to the original post would make this point.
>>
>> Disappointing to discover that only one out of three did so.
>>

> Probably because to loon is in most folk’s kill files.
>
> Tim

+1

Re: OT: 4k video

<v05277$qodl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122086&group=uk.d-i-y#122086

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 03:05:10 -0400
 by: Paul - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 07:05 UTC

On 4/22/2024 12:29 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 4/21/2024 6:40 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>

>> Thanks. FFMPEG is a phenomenal tool alright, but it can't work magic
>> if the hardware just isn't up to the job. I think I need to spend a
>> bit of cash on something much faster than I currently have.
>>

> I don't think your camera device actually "shoots" in the Apple format.

This article makes a fair share of technical mistakes, but at
least the message is present that some sort of profile-like issue
might arise with the incoming video. Stating that the built-in GPU
on the computer needs to be an Iris (for QuickSync video decoding),
hints at the performance level required. Doing such a thing (QuickSync on Intel) does
not load down the CPU. But what it does do, once the video is
appearing on the screen, it still needs to be recorded somehow and
that could potentially need cycles. Maybe there is some way to transfer
the video from onboard storage, later, as an alternative recording means.

https://ceciliadigiarty.medium.com/solved-cant-play-dji-4k-videos-on-windows-or-mac-d0565a59bbf5

But at least the article did not submerge me in Apple-isms.
The video might well decode when it is incoming on the equipment
(or when played off an onboard storage device).

A 1650 might cover some useful formats in hardware, and would
be cheaper than the 4090.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVDEC

My video card does some encoding in hardware, but that is
single-pass mode, while quality transcoding is two-pass
(the first pass estimates bitrates needed). For small resolution
video my card can do 330 frames per second (hour long video in six minutes).
But the Q-level used isn't correct. Software control of
the processing, is a better way to do it.

With MJPEG compression, all the cores on the CPU can be used.
Some other formats, the extra cores you happen to have, might not help.

Paul

Re: OT: 4k video

<v05eri$t7cf$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122088&group=uk.d-i-y#122088

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:40:49 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 10:40 UTC

On 21/04/2024 18:06, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> I bought one of those surveillance drones to keep an eye on a house up
> the road where some undesirables have recently moved in. It takes
> *fantastic* high quality video with astonishing detail. I should be
> able to peer into the windows and see what they're up to from quite
> some distance away and remain undetected. I've been trying it out
> earlier today and have been seriously impressed with the images it's
> recorded. The only problem is, I can't view them on anything other
> than my Android smartphone. What I really want to do is make the most
> of all the detail it's captured by viewing it on a *large* screen. But
> I do not want to have to replace my perfectly good ordinary HD TV and
> none of my other devices can handle 4k video, either.
> What are my options?
>
> CD.

Well patently you need a 4k capable screen.

And from experience with such videos, a fuck of a lot of graphics
horsepower to drive it in real time.

Those are not possible solutions, they are the *only* solutions

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Re: OT: 4k video

<v05esp$tb0t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122089&group=uk.d-i-y#122089

From: Andrew...@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:41:29 +0100
 by: Andrew - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 10:41 UTC

On 21/04/2024 21:47, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:14:28 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>> Getting arrested I hope.
>>>
>> I had expected that all replies to the original post would make this point.
>>
>> Disappointing to discover that only one out of three did so.
>
> Okay, so two constructive replies so far and two tossers. We'll see if
> there's any more of either kinds of answers in due course...

What is your definition of 'undesirable' though ?.

Does the country where you live have the sort of data
protection/drone usage/gun control that the UK has ?.

Re: OT: 4k video

<v05et5$t7cf$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122090&group=uk.d-i-y#122090

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:41:41 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 10:41 UTC

On 21/04/2024 19:40, Peter Able wrote:
> On 21/04/2024 18:54, SH wrote:
>> On 21/04/2024 18:06, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>>> Gentlemen,
>>>
>>> I bought one of those surveillance drones to keep an eye on a house up
>>> the road where some undesirables have recently moved in. It takes
>>> *fantastic* high quality video with astonishing detail. I should be
>>> able to peer into the windows and see what they're up to from quite
>>> some distance away and remain undetected. I've been trying it out
>>> earlier today and have been seriously impressed with the images it's
>>> recorded. The only problem is, I can't view them on anything other
>>> than my Android smartphone. What I really want to do is make the most
>>> of all the detail it's captured by viewing it on a *large* screen. But
>>> I do not want to have to replace my perfectly good ordinary HD TV and
>>> none of my other devices can handle 4k video, either.
>>> What are my options?
>>>
>>> CD.
>>

>> this sounds like you need HEIC and HEVC drivers on the PC plus a
>> graphics card AND Monitor/TV that can support 4k over Display port or
>> HDMI
>
> Just bought a 43" 4K TV for £207.  Will any other option be that much
> cheaper?

Probably not. All the money in a TV is in the screen. The rest is some
ICs and a PSU.

> PA

Josef Stalin

Re: OT: 4k video

<v05f07$t7cf$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122091&group=uk.d-i-y#122091

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:43:19 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 10:43 UTC

On 21/04/2024 20:14, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 21-Apr-24 19:12, Chris Green wrote:
>> Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> wrote:
>>> Gentlemen,
>>>
>>> I bought one of those surveillance drones to keep an eye on a house up
>>> the road where some undesirables have recently moved in. It takes
>>> *fantastic* high quality video with astonishing detail. I should be
>>> able to peer into the windows and see what they're up to from quite
>>> some distance away and remain undetected. I've been trying it out
>>> earlier today and have been seriously impressed with the images it's
>>> recorded. The only problem is, I can't view them on anything other
>>> than my Android smartphone. What I really want to do is make the most
>>> of all the detail it's captured by viewing it on a *large* screen. But
>>> I do not want to have to replace my perfectly good ordinary HD TV and
>>> none of my other devices can handle 4k video, either.
>>> What are my options?
>>>
>> Getting arrested I hope.
>>
> I had expected that all replies to the original post would make this point.

Frankly what Curstor does in his own backyard is his affair.

> Disappointing to discover that only one out of three did so.

Quite encouraged that only one out of three is a 1984 style big brother
snitch.

Josef Stalin

Re: OT: 4k video

<4rgc2jt1f0it43b8er74sup9faps2f02be@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122096&group=uk.d-i-y#122096

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:04:30 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:04 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:40:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 21/04/2024 18:06, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> Gentlemen,
>>
>> I bought one of those surveillance drones to keep an eye on a house up
>> the road where some undesirables have recently moved in. It takes
>> *fantastic* high quality video with astonishing detail. I should be
>> able to peer into the windows and see what they're up to from quite
>> some distance away and remain undetected. I've been trying it out
>> earlier today and have been seriously impressed with the images it's
>> recorded. The only problem is, I can't view them on anything other
>> than my Android smartphone. What I really want to do is make the most
>> of all the detail it's captured by viewing it on a *large* screen. But
>> I do not want to have to replace my perfectly good ordinary HD TV and
>> none of my other devices can handle 4k video, either.
>> What are my options?
>>
>> CD.
>
>Well patently you need a 4k capable screen.
>
>And from experience with such videos, a fuck of a lot of graphics
>horsepower to drive it in real time.
>
>Those are not possible solutions, they are the *only* solutions

Yes. I think I'll just have to buy a new telly, much as I hate the
idea of ditching a perfectly good one - even if it is 12 years old
it's never gone wrong in all that time. THIS is what's wrong with the
environment at the present time: our throw-away culture and planned
obsolescence. But what do they keep going on about? "Global warming"
and CO2! And the two aren't even connected. Yumans are basically
stupid.

Re: OT: 4k video

<20240422144951.6bc81f4e@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122106&group=uk.d-i-y#122106

From: joe...@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 14:49:51 +0100
 by: Joe - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 13:49 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:04:30 +0100
Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com> wrote:

> Yes. I think I'll just have to buy a new telly, much as I hate the
> idea of ditching a perfectly good one - even if it is 12 years old
> it's never gone wrong in all that time. THIS is what's wrong with the
> environment at the present time: our throw-away culture and planned
> obsolescence.

There are *still* 'HD Ready' TVs on sale, more than ten years after
1080i transmission began in the UK.

--
Joe

Re: OT: 4k video

<v05qt3$10475$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122107&group=uk.d-i-y#122107

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:06:26 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 14:06 UTC

On 22/04/2024 12:04, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:40:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

..

>> Well patently you need a 4k capable screen.
>>
>> And from experience with such videos, a fuck of a lot of graphics
>> horsepower to drive it in real time.
>>
>> Those are not possible solutions, they are the *only* solutions
>
> Yes. I think I'll just have to buy a new telly, much as I hate the
> idea of ditching a perfectly good one - even if it is 12 years old
> it's never gone wrong in all that time. THIS is what's wrong with the
> environment at the present time: our throw-away culture and planned
> obsolescence. But what do they keep going on about? "Global warming"
> and CO2! And the two aren't even connected. Yumans are basically
> stupid.

What's wrong with a decent 4k monitor?

Around £250 squids in the UK
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ct/monitors-and-projectors/monitors/4k

You are likely to pay more for a twin fan gaming video card to drive it :-(

--
There’s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)

Re: OT: 4k video

<movc2jl0lth2ae3n1k36eohdpj93cane10@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122110&group=uk.d-i-y#122110

From: me...@privacy.net (Custos Custodum)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:17:36 +0100
 by: Custos Custodum - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:17 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:43:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 21/04/2024 20:14, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> Getting arrested I hope.
>>>
>> I had expected that all replies to the original post would make this point.
>>
>Frankly what Curstor does in his own backyard is his affair.

I rather got the impression he was planning to snoop in someone else's
back yard. Surely that's their affair?

>> Disappointing to discover that only one out of three did so.
>
>Quite encouraged that only one out of three is a 1984 style big brother
>snitch.

Re: OT: 4k video

<da1d2j5mufrdni90tm04tda5oupgn6tmis@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122111&group=uk.d-i-y#122111

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:42:39 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:42 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:06:26 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 22/04/2024 12:04, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:40:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
>> <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>.
>>>
>>> Well patently you need a 4k capable screen.
>>>
>>> And from experience with such videos, a fuck of a lot of graphics
>>> horsepower to drive it in real time.
>>>
>>> Those are not possible solutions, they are the *only* solutions
>>
>> Yes. I think I'll just have to buy a new telly, much as I hate the
>> idea of ditching a perfectly good one - even if it is 12 years old
>> it's never gone wrong in all that time. THIS is what's wrong with the
>> environment at the present time: our throw-away culture and planned
>> obsolescence. But what do they keep going on about? "Global warming"
>> and CO2! And the two aren't even connected. Yumans are basically
>> stupid.
>
>What's wrong with a decent 4k monitor?
>
>Around £250 squids in the UK
>https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ct/monitors-and-projectors/monitors/4k
>
>You are likely to pay more for a twin fan gaming video card to drive it :-(

Fair point. I'll probably end up getting both knowing the way I
typically approach problems like this.

Re: OT: 4k video

<nb1d2j19t2jdfap7oblm4pv4ra5cc3ott7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122113&group=uk.d-i-y#122113

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:46:37 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:46 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:17:36 +0100, Custos Custodum <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:43:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
><tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> I had expected that all replies to the original post would make this point.
>>>
>>Frankly what Curstor does in his own backyard is his affair.
>
>I rather got the impression he was planning to snoop in someone else's
>back yard. Surely that's their affair?

Not if they're running a county lines drug business it isn't. Given
the police are more interested nowadays in enforcement action against
people's right to free speech, it's the duty of every citizen to step
up and get involved in fighting crime in any way they can, within the
limits of the resources and capabilities they have.

>>> Disappointing to discover that only one out of three did so.
>>
>>Quite encouraged that only one out of three is a 1984 style big brother
>>snitch.

Re: OT: 4k video

<v064qh$12aq4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122116&group=uk.d-i-y#122116

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:55:45 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:55 UTC

On 22/04/2024 16:17, Custos Custodum wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:43:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> I had expected that all replies to the original post would make this point.
>>>
>> Frankly what Curstor does in his own backyard is his affair.
>
> I rather got the impression he was planning to snoop in someone else's
> back yard. Surely that's their affair?

Yup. And if Cursitor wants to be a peeping tom, that's between the pair
of them

--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”

Mary Wollstonecraft

Re: OT: 4k video

<pQxVN.4955$pBB3.4019@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122120&group=uk.d-i-y#122120

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 19:16:52 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 18:16 UTC

On 22-Apr-24 7:49, Tim+ wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>> Getting arrested I hope.
>>>
>> I had expected that all replies to the original post would make this point.
>>
>> Disappointing to discover that only one out of three did so.
>>

> Probably because to loon is in most folk’s kill files.

Good point.
Well made.
<Error corrected>

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: 4k video

<j13f2j9kklt2i8ta301mnh69vttnoq7j5g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122151&group=uk.d-i-y#122151

From: me...@privacy.net (Custos Custodum)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:26:35 +0100
 by: Custos Custodum - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:26 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:46:37 +0100, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:17:36 +0100, Custos Custodum <me@privacy.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:43:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
>><tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>>Frankly what Curstor does in his own backyard is his affair.
>>
>>I rather got the impression he was planning to snoop in someone else's
>>back yard. Surely that's their affair?
>
>Not if they're running a county lines drug business it isn't. Given
>the police are more interested nowadays in enforcement action against
>people's right to free speech, it's the duty of every citizen to step
>up and get involved in fighting crime in any way they can, within the
>limits of the resources and capabilities they have.

Actually, "taking the law into your own hands" is generally frowned
upon, and any evidence you might gather is probably inadmissible in
court.