Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:06:35 +0000
Subject: OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oil
From: leenow...@yahoo.co.uk (leenowell)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: leenowell - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:06 UTC

Hi all,

I have some cedar outside which I am looking to protect but keep the natural colour. I have previously treated it with Linseed oil but after 6 months it is looking grey. So plan is to sand it back and go again.

Looking online, some people are saying that OSMO uv-protection oil is much better although others say not. Does anyone have any experience of it and whether it is better than Danish oil or Linseed oil? I guess my key criteria is how long it will last before needing to be redone.

Many thanks

Lee.

Re: OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oil

<l8pi93F46vvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122154&group=uk.d-i-y#122154

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oil
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:53:21 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:53 UTC

leenowell wrote:
> I have some cedar outside which I am looking to protect but keep the
> natural colour. I have previously treated it with Linseed oil but after
> 6 months it is looking grey.  So plan is to sand it back and go again.
> Looking online, some people are saying that OSMO uv-protection oil is
> much better although others say not. Does anyone have any experience of
> it and whether it is better than Danish oil or Linseed oil? I guess my
> key criteria is how long it will last before needing to be redone.
I thought the point of Cedar was that other than going silver/grey, it
survives well outdoors without constant sanding/finishing?

Re: OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oil

<2nTVN.3081$jcJc.1999@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122190&group=uk.d-i-y#122190

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:47:26 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:47 UTC

On 23-Apr-24 11:53, Andy Burns wrote:
> leenowell wrote:
>
>> I have some cedar outside which I am looking to protect but keep the
>> natural colour. I have previously treated it with Linseed oil but
>> after 6 months it is looking grey.  So plan is to sand it back and go
>> again.
>> Looking online, some people are saying that OSMO uv-protection oil is
>> much better although others say not. Does anyone have any experience
>> of it and whether it is better than Danish oil or Linseed oil? I guess
>> my key criteria is how long it will last before needing to be redone.
>
> I thought the point of Cedar was that other than going silver/grey, it
> survives well outdoors without constant sanding/finishing?

True.
After some exposure, silver/grey _is_ its natural colour. Any treatment
is just a way of applying unnatural colour (just don't paint it!).

--
Sam Plusnet